What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ross Smart

fish eel

Immortal
Obviously, efficiency is the order of the day under the new regime.
I will want to see a turnaround in our financial statements at some stage after all these redundancies.

Suity

Working the comms field, if they are outsourcing the work, they may not be creating anymore efficiencies nor making any real savings. You lose a body within the organisation who lives, breathes it, knows where the stories are and knows the people - and you become an 'account'. The value of a good person in your organisation that does a good job with the media can't really be measured on a financial statement.

I really, really hope the job isn't being sourced out.

Suitman

Post Whore
Working the comms field, if they are outsourcing the work, they may not be creating anymore efficiencies nor making any real savings. You lose a body within the organisation who lives, breathes it, knows where the stories are and knows the people - and you become an 'account'. The value of a good person in your organisation that does a good job with the media can't really be measured on a financial statement.

I really, really hope the job isn't being sourced out.

TBH, I know all that.
I'm hoping that they are doing this for a reason. The only reason I can think of at the moment is a financial one.
Some of the previous redundancies may have been slightly political, but someone like Ross Smart has obviously gone because of trimming the fat.
In that regard, I made my previous statement.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
TBH, I know all that.
I'm hoping that they are doing this for a reason. The only reason I can think of at the moment is a financial one.
Some of the previous redundancies may have been slightly political, but someone like Ross Smart has obviously gone because of trimming the fat.
In that regard, I made my previous statement.

Suity

I guess thats my point.

If it's just a financial reason - it's shortsighted.

Outsourcing is good if you want someone to come in, do a job and go. Then do the same 2 or 3 months later.

But I really cant see how it's going t be effective day in day out during the season.

Of course, there may well be more to it than we know, and they may have other plans for when the season gets closer. It may be they are looking at other options and didnt want to be paying a media manager during november, december and january when cricket dominates the news.

Shame though, Ross was good at his job and his contribution cant be measured on a balance sheet IMO.

Stagger eel

Staff member
does anyone know the industrial relations law in regards to making positions redundant? when can the role be refilled?

bartman

Immortal
If the position was made redundant, then I'd imagine there could be all sorts of trouble in filling the said same position anytime in the future...

With all the apparent redundancies in the club office over the past year, I hope that the remaining staff have good union representation - and that makes me very sad to have to even say.

Suitman

Post Whore
I guess thats my point.

If it's just a financial reason - it's shortsighted.

Outsourcing is good if you want someone to come in, do a job and go. Then do the same 2 or 3 months later.

The only proof we have that this is the case is someone saying "word around the traps". :roll:

None of us know their plans.
Ross may have been a great bloke, but so was Ovo, Kingston and half a dozen others who are now defunct.

I suppose my point is.........if the new board are living by the sword, they should be prepared to ..............

I neither support these cuts, nor am I ready to criticise them. Management are in a far better position to make these decisions than any of us.

Suity

Suitman

Post Whore
If the position was made redundant, then I'd imagine there could be all sorts of trouble in filling the said same position anytime in the future...

With all the apparent redundancies in the club office over the past year, I hope that the remaining staff have good union representation - and that makes me very sad to have to even say.

This ideology sometimes amazes me. Every business should strive for ultimate efficiancy.
Obviously, we weren't. We are making the necessary adjustments now.
Employees rights are justified when employees are being screwed. I don't necessarily see this as being the case atm.

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Employees rights are just that imo - rights, justified as a minimum at all times. I'm unashamedly a union man, simply because I have seen no reason to trust any management to hold an interest in upholding these rights unchecked. My experience has seen quite the opposite in fact.

As Fish Eel has said, employees' worth is often more than just a figure on a balance sheet. Improving efficiencies - and managing employee performance to do so - is very different from cutting positions to make efficiencies, which may then further impact on performance and efficiency of those in the joint.

I'm not saying anyone was or is being screwed here. I'm just saying with the amount of people who would have had reason to believe they were in secure employment at the club and shown recently not to be the case, I personally hope that those staff remaining are aware of their rights as employees and do have good representation to ensure that their employer (our club) respects those rights in the future.

fish eel

Immortal
The only proof we have that this is the case is someone saying "word around the traps". :roll:

None of us know their plans.

Yep, thats right. Thats whaI said ;-)

Ross may have been a great bloke, but so was Ovo, Kingston and half a dozen others who are now defunct.

And Ross was very, very good at his job.

I suppose my point is.........if the new board are living by the sword, they should be prepared to ..............

Yep. Absolutelt

I neither support these cuts, nor am I ready to criticise them. Management are in a far better position to make these decisions than any of us.

Suity

I'm not familiar with the other cuts that have been alluded to, only dispatches I've read on the forum. I'm very, very surprised Ross has been cut though. Unlike other staff that have been around the club, I think the general consensus seems to be that he was performing...unlike other good blokes like Ovo.....

Hellsy

Immortal
does anyone know the industrial relations law in regards to making positions redundant? when can the role be refilled?

Not sure about the time frame, but there are soo many ways around it.
All they have to do is give a new person a different title and a little bit of a different job description and you have created a whole new position..... just ask the dickheads I work for, they seem quite familiar with this process :crazy: :?

cgee221

Juniors

It has to be vacant a minimum of 3 months Stagger, after that time, the job can become available again and advertised as a position of vacancy to be filled

Stagger eel

Staff member
It has to be vacant a minimum of 3 months Stagger, after that time, the job can become available again and advertised as a position of vacancy to be filled

really? so we may well have a Media Manager by the start of the season? that's almost a freak of nature..lol

I think Stagger and I are of a same mind, I just don't think we are going to write it down on a public forum.

But suffice to say, over the summer we might not have a Media Manager, but come trials we might well have one.