What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 (2006) Sharks v Warriors (PVP Cup Final)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Welcome to Round 1 - F7s 2006 :thumn
PVP CUP FINAL
Cronulla Sharks v New Zealand Warriors

Venue: The Front Row Stadium

Crowd: 18,030. Referee: Mystique

• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

• Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves.
NB: Neutral venue for this PVP Cup round only. Both captains allowed two reserves each.

• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 22 MARCH at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

**Referee Blows Game On!**

Robster

Bench
Robster leads the his beloved Warrior outfit out, this team is 100% kiwi :D

Myself and Wal have decided to name the trophy "The Greg Alexender Cup"

jersey_warriors_1.gif

Warriors F7s Line up:
1: KeepingtheFaith
5: byrne_rovelli_fan82
7: Jesbass
9: Robster
(c)
12: Wiki

bench

10 Tezzah
15 IanRichie

http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/images/jersey_warriors_1.gif

Jesbass

First Grade
With his laces still yet to be tied, Jesbass takes the ball and delivers a chip kick over the opposition defensive line...

You Can't Always Get What You Want (749 words including title)

The lyrics to the chorus of this classic song by The Rolling Stones were reverberating through my head as I sat down to write aboard a Qantas flight bound for Auckland. I had spent the past four days in Melbourne, attending the Australian Game Development Conference. This was the first time I had visited any Australian city for longer than a stopover period, and I felt it prudent to explore the home of so many of my transtasman cousins. In all, my time in the Victorian city left me with many positive experiences, and a desire to return at some time in the future.

A visit to the home of the Melbourne Storm, however, left a sour aftertaste in my mouth.

Melbourne has a plethora of stadia. The sports mad city is home to the legendary Melbourne Cricket Ground, as well as the Telstra Dome, the Rod Laver Arena, the Melbourne Sports And Entertainment Centre, and the Vodafone Arena, not to mention the many training grounds that accompany many of these facilities. But when I initially entered Olympic Park, I thought I was in the wrong place, simply because of the size and state of the stands.

Looking back in hindsight as an air stewardess assisted a nearby passenger with his carry-on luggage, what I had failed to remember was that Victoria is well and truly AFL country. Rugby league is a minority sport. I didn't manage to generate a single comment by wearing a New Zealand Warriors jersey during my brief stay. I doubt many people even recognised my article of clothing for what it was. The Telstra Dome had a giant AFL sign above the entrance. Olympic Park had a Melbourne Victory logo, representing the local A-League soccer team. There wasn't a Melbourne Storm sign in sight, unless one happened to notice a small two storey building behind a nearby Aussie rules practice ground.

Okay, so Olympic Park was less impressive than my expectations had allowed me to believe. But where am I going with this? I suppose I was provoked to comment on an NRL fan base less fortunate than my own. Back in New Zealand, many rugby league fans such as myself complain that we are in the minority - that in light of the All Blacks and their world dominating achievements, the Kiwis and the Warriors don't receive enough recognition, particularly in the media. And yet in contrast, many of the locals I spoke to in Melbourne were unable to follow my train of thought as soon as I started mentioning NRL teams, such as the Roosters, Bulldogs, and Rabbitohs.

In essence, this was a case of counting one's blessings and opening a second eye before complaining into the microphone.

With the airline captain introducing himself over the intercom system and me relaxing into my seat, I pondered my own bias towards the subject of Melbourne's minority sport. My home city of Auckland has a long history with rugby league, and, although the City of Sails is considered a rugby union stronghold, rugby league fans and parents still turn out in their hundreds each Saturday morning to watch their children attempting to emulate their rugby league heroes. And the home ground of the Vodafone Warriors, Ericsson Stadium, has just completed an upgrade, with the Eastern Stand now capable of seating many more people and with protective roofing and new training facilities. With that as my background and usual surroundings, it is hardly surprising that Olympic Park's comparatively smaller and less sophisticated stadium caught me somewhat offguard.

Such an experience has enabled me to observe the situation of rugby league in my own life and city with a warmer gaze. It isn’t the ignored sport we have claimed it to be – well, not as ignored as it is in Victoria. And that must be a good thing. With the captain speaking up again and requesting each passenger to turn off our electronic devices, I realised that it's times like these that allow us to remember how fortunate we are before jumping onto our own soap box. With my PDA about to be turned off and the aircraft beginning its journey down the runway, those lyrics continued to circulate through my mind...

You can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes well you just might find,
You get what you need!

Olympic_Park.jpg

The Piper

Juniors
f7s_sharks_1.gif
The Cronulla Sharks Forum 7s team takes the field for the first round of the season

Team

1. Dread
4. glockers
8. griffo346
9. Bookie
11. griffette346

Reserves

3. Waken
10. KrypnotiK

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Looking at sports as a whole it’s easy to see why men are so dominant. They are the ones carrying the weight of expectations; they have the stamina, desire and passion and build to conquer all at their feet. However it is also safe to say this isn’t always true in the more modern areas of sport. In more recent times in many sporting circles you become more and aware of women being recognized. Sport has changed dramatically over many centuries with women not only being recognized but even on some occasions they are renowned world beaters. A classic example of this is in the mannerisms of the Australian women swim team. They are the best in their field and have been dominating their selected sport for many a few years.

For any women to participate in a global sporting world mainly dominated by men is a great achievement in itself. It’s not often they get recognized unless they do something really spectacular. But more of an achievement is the attention they get from crowds. When you’re attending a sporting event; be it a cricket match, a rugby game or even a big event like the Olympics if you take one look at the crowds what do you see most aside from the large families gathering together. Mainly, and this is not to sound bias in anyway but majority of the crowd are men. Women do attend but what you can find from women attending is when they have a family member taking part in a sport, or it’s a friend or even they get brought along so as to see the game in its true glory. Even perhaps it allows the women to come to terms with why men spend nearly 24hours a day, 7 days a week talking and watching sport.

However it must be intriguing nonetheless when women of any age turn up at sporting events on their own accord. Not being they are just ‘tagging along’ for the sakes of their boyfriends or husbands, but for the pure and simple fact they have a genuine love of a sport. I, personally have a great love of sports, I spent a lot of my younger years growing up in Auckland, New Zealand as well as having lived in Sydney, Australia for a few years. To me sport is the best activity to have in one’s repitore. I don’t have a love of cricket, rugby or league because I know some one in the game or that I got influenced by some one else. I got into it for the fact I enjoyed being able to support my teams and watch it with admiration. Some of my relatives and friends respect my love for sport but they don’t always understand it. They don’t get why I like the rough and tumble, hard hitting men of rugby and league. They think I must be out of my mind to be sit there during the hot summer for nine 9hrs viewing a One Day International Cricket match. They think it unusual because I’m a girl, a girl with such an interest in a men’s world? It’s not really heard of. Maybe it is more so now as sport has begun to evolve and more women as well as men are taking a far keener interest.

Female sports fans don’t spend as much time standing around chatting around sports as men do, but it is becoming clear they are beginning to take an interest in sports like rugby league or any male dominated sport for their own taste. Hopefully in years to come there will be more women seen at games; maybe even a majority crowd will be sitting at a large stadium ready cheer on their own set of male hero’s out on the field. Perhaps even better women won’t just be going to a big name game but to every game. I know as a rugby league fan I’d be more than happy to spend my time cheering on my team then being stuck in a job which doesn’t leave much to the imagination.

Word Count: 685

glockers

Juniors
Glockers rushes onto the field keen for a new season, even if he is wearing an apron because he was busy baking a cake.

Addition by Subtraction

After only two rounds of the National Rugby League season a surprise packet has already emerged. The Penrith Panthers are sitting undefeated at the top of the table after beating quality opponents and perennial premiership contenders.

Few people would have predicted that the Panthers would win against Bulldogs and Dragons, in fact I think most arm chair critics would have predicted zero points for the boys from out west after two rounds. Despite this, they are unbeaten and looking in fine form.

It was a fair and common assessment to suggest the Panthers lost too much talent and would end up at the rear end of the competition.

Penrith lost two key forwards, Galuvao and Ross, and two talented young backs, Rogers and Dyer.

They then replaced these mountain men with players who had disappeared in England or languished in Premier League.

Luminaries such as Craig Stapleton, Mark O’Halloran, Nick Youngquest and Lee Hookey failed to gain any attention from the media.

Even after the success of Super League returnees Jason Smith and Matt Adamson, few would have expected likewise from O’Halloran and Stapleton.

Youngquest and Hookey had tried to crack first grade and failed many times.

Meanwhile fellow imports, Bryan Norrie and Matthew Cross, seemed like good young players, but hardly level with Ross or Galuvao.

It seemed like Penrith lost heaps and gained very little, but they have emerged with two early wins.

In basketball the phrase addition by subtraction often comes up. This refers to a team that replaces star players with role players.

This is often the result of a team previously stacking their line up with big name players who choose to shoot too much. These players end up jacking up too many shots and do not pass to someone in a better spot. In the end no player is willing to pass the ball because every one wants to be the star.

In basketball teams trade away some of these star players to gain a couple of role players who come in and just play defence or rebound or pass the ball well. These players complement the main scorers.

Addition by subtraction is a policy Penrith applied this year.

They already boasted a forward pack with representatives Priddis, Clinton, Waterhouse, Pritchard, Ross, Galuvao and Tony Puletua.

Penrith lacked players willing to do the dirty work, the hard stuff and just complete the job required.

So they dropped representatives for no frill forwards.

The Wests Tigers didn’t have many star forwards, even Brisbane have Stagg, Bulldogs have Grimaldi, Parramatta have Adam Peek and Chad Robinson, and North Queensland have Norton.

Think of the successful Broncos teams that had Andrew Gee, the Raiders with Gary Coyne, Balmain with Kevin Hardwick. Successful teams have often had a few honest workers to pack the scrum alongside the stars.

Penrith grabbed the unheralded Stapleton, then gave Swain and Rodney more responsibility.

Stapleton was never really noticed at Parramatta and then disappeared in England but now has again found an NRL home. Unfortunately Stapleton never seems to be appreciated but is a hard worker that always does the job required. He is always tackling and takes the hard hit up when required.

Often his hit ups are the first of the set and this leads to him not gaining many metres, but it does put the defence on the back foot and enables the other forwards to bust the line in the next few hit ups.

In the backs Hookey and Youngquest have enjoyed early success on the wing for Penrith and each scoring first round tries.

Both have suspect defensive skills but have always had the speed and the ability to finish. Later in the season this could be a liability but Rooney while the solid O’Halloran is waiting in the wings.

O’Halloran was always safe under the high ball for the Wests Tigers and was rock solid in defence. He can’t finish like Youngquest or Hookey but he provides another option. Penrith can choose between a safe player or someone with pure speed and try scoring ability.

This flexibility might be a key factor for the Panthers.

A fortnight ago I believed Penrith was a wooden spoon contender, along with a majority of league fans, and confidently predicted they would finish in the bottom three.

After two early wins I can easily see the Panthers in the top eight.

In the end they should be playing in September even if they don’t lift the trophy.

Robster

Bench
*smash's griffo46*
-------------------------------------

Robsters View #1
Kiwi’s can rival it without Hunts help.
053052news.jpg

As a kiwi I woke up to see a mind blowing climax. The Rugby League World hasn’t seen for ages, not in my lifetime and maybe in anyone else’s life. Not a single eye has ever witnessed a gutsy fantastic performance from my fellow blood the New Zealand Kiwi’s. Never before has the Kiwi treasured their black jersey so much with so much passion and wholeheartedness full of pride. If not as much then more then the Australians relish a Sky Blue or Maroon jersey.

In my opinion the rivalry between Australia and New Zealand now has the passion and the intensity to become as a big of a rival towards State of Origin Football.

I agree International league is alive, but is it as great as it possibly can be? No! Because club bosses are stopping nations from having their strongest team especially the Kiwi’s. It’s quite ironic with the amount of Australians compared to Kiwi’s in the NRL, that the Kiwi’s miss out on players like Matt Utai and the 2 superstars of the NRL Sonny-Bill Williams and Benji Marshall due to clubs being a barricade preventing these players from playing for their beloved country. As for Australia they only missed out on Luke Bailey.

What needs to be done? The Board of each nation that plays rugby league must take control away from clubs. Until this happens international league will suffer and not pick up the intensity that it can be.

More power has to be given to the International Rugby League Board. How come Australians are always allowed to play Origin? It is because the clubs have no say in it. The same should then be applied to Internationals, arguably the top achievement in the game. Why should the clubs have a say as to who plays in International but no say in Origin games. It should be the same across the board for both Origin and Internationals

Believe it or not Kiwi’s last year could have had an even stronger team. Imagine Lesley Vanikolo and Matt Utai on both wings, Benji Marshall joining forces with Stacey Jones in the halves and of course Sonny-Bill Williams in the second row.

From the above paragraph the question remains, why do kiwi rugby league fans want Karmichael Hunt? Firstly he has rejected his born country’s jersey for a chance in playing in a brighter maroon one; secondly you need ‘Mana’ to play in a Kiwi test jersey. The word Mana is a kiwi word meaning “Heart, Power, Courage, Strength, Loyalty and Dignity’, in that case I don’t think Karmichael applies or deserves a Test jersey. No way does he have the heart to put his body on the line; no way does he have the courage and loyalty to put country in front Origin Football.

Recently I have made a poll on the forums on Leagueunlimited.com, question being “Should the Kiwi’s continue to beg Karmichael to change his mind” the results are as follows, 3% think ‘he wants to play origin, so leave it as that‘. 40% reckon he's rejected his born country jersey, it’s a NO, 32% think we should beg him one more but if he rejects playing in the Anzac test then don't bother again, and lastly 26% think we should keep begging him.

As the poll suggests there are a lot of mixed views on this subject, to sum this up any Kiwi which has “Mana’ deserves a kiwi jersey and I doubt Karmichael has any of it. Besides we have so much more talent in our ranks to even make a big deal of this situation, if he does change his mind the question will always be ‘does he have the ‘Mana”? I hope he proves me wrong.

637 words.

Wiki

Juniors
630 words according to the official counter! :)

Canterbury Dolphins

One of the main goals in my life is to be successful. Not just earn a moderate income, but to be worth millions or even perhaps billions. I have thought about this so much that in my mind all I see myself becoming is just that – successful.

But what would I spend my pocket money on? I would have multi-million dollar companies, but I would need a hobby. Then I thought about one day taking over the Vodafone New Zealand Warriors. Then I had a change of heart, why not create my own franchise? It has been going through my mind a bit lately, just like all the other crazy ideas that I have for successful ventures.

Thus, the Canterbury Dolphins were born.

Nicknamed the ‘phins’ NRL’s newest franchise could become a joint venture between Christchurch and Wellington.

So how do we recruit? In my mind I would ideally want the best of both Australian and New Zealand players playing for the Dolphins. A reserve team would definitely be involved in one of the lower Australian grades and would be called the Canterbury Calves, a name for a baby Dolphin. As opposed to living in Australia, the reserve grade squad will base itself in Christchurch and fly over each week due to our generous sponsorship from Air New Zealand. Creating an atmosphere that the players love to play in will be one of the main priorities and ideals of the club. If the players are happy, they will play better and stay at the club longer.

So what about team colours? Well obviously an aqua-type colour would be a must. Light blue and white would look quite respectable but an emphasis will be on what the consumer wants. The jersey, designed by Adidas would resemble something of the Auckland Blues white away kit. The Adidas designed urban wear would be slick, fitting and aesthetically appealing. A lot of thought would go into the research of both the playing kit and the urban wear. The idea is to produce something that the consumer is going to wear and feel good in.

Due to Jade Stadium being the home of the Crusaders, we would opt to play at the almost non-existent QEII Stadium. The stadium is actually very respectable and with terraces it is ideal for a league-type atmosphere. Free tickets would be given for the first two or three home games to allow maximum publicity in the opening days for the team. Stadium atmosphere would be a major ingredient into the success of the Canterbury Dolphins that would include drop-dead gorgeous cheerleaders, half time shows, and up-beat music when the Dolphins score, among other things.

Emphasis would be put on team development, team morale, and player-staff relationships.

A website, located at www.dolphins.co.nz would be thoroughly updated at least four times a week. The Internet has become one of the leading tools for consumers to buy into a product, and management would seek to take advantage of this. An official forum would be operated and run with the help of long-term, mature fans. The coach would answer questions with the fans on the forum every Monday morning, which would allow fans to feel even more ownership of the team. Fans would have the opportunity to post messages to the players, which would be put up in the changing rooms for the players to read before they take the field.

The idea would be to produce a product for the Canterbury league market that currently isn’t there. With the success of the team we would hope to introduce league to Canterbury as more of a mainstream sport just like Rugby Union. We wouldn’t aim to replace Rugby Union, but the aim would be to offer a suitable and exciting alternative.

griffette346

Juniors
griffette346 takes her first hit up for the Sharks in forum 7s 2006 and smashes the warriors defence.

JUICY JOEL – WHAT A MAN

Ok first of all, I know nothing about rugby league, but that’s irrelevant for this article. As soon as I laid eyes on Penrith Panthers Joel Clinton my interest in the game was sparked.

What these guys are doing running around, tackling each other, chucking a ball about and ramming each others heads into the ground I have no idea, but that doesn’t really matter when the likes of Joel Clinton are present. Apparently his position is front row. I guess that must mean everyone is sitting in the front row watching him. I know I would be.

That longish dark hair, that chiselled jaw, those arms….woops I forgot I’m meant to be talking about rugby league. Ok let’s see. Joel Clinton plays rugby league. Or have I mentioned that already?

He ran out onto the field for Saturday’s match against the Bulldogs, muscles rippling, chiselled jaw thrust out in excited determination. He single-handedly took the Panthers to their edge-of-your-seat two point victory. Ok well he probably didn’t but I wasn’t really paying attention to the other players.

I do like the Panthers new uniform for this year. Such a lovely shade of, umm, black. Joel looks particular fetching in it. I’m sure he’d look fetching wearing a potato sack.

Ok so back to the Panthers first match of the season. They beat the Bulldogs. Cats beating dogs. We may see a repeat of this in the AFL when the Western Bulldogs play Geelong, whenever that’ll be. I apologise for mentioning AFL in a rugby league article but it is my favourite form of football. And I realise that everyone reading this has just communally cringed. Sorry about that.

I have just been browsing the Panthers website and read the report from their first match. Not one mention of Joel. I am astounded! I can only assume the writer must be male. I did have a giggle at a particular comment, and I quote, “Willie Mason was penalised for attempting to give Gower a facelift without the benefit of anaesthetic in a tackle”. Such creative journalism. I can tell you this though, if anyone had attempted to give Joel a facelift, with or without anaesthetic, I would’ve been obligated to give such person a bodily injury. I may be female and rather delicate but when it comes to rearranging the features of such a fantabulous specimen like Joel, it’s highly possible I can become suddenly endowed with super powers.

Onto better things though, Joel was a part of the 2003 premiership winning side and guided the team to victory with his efforts (single-handedly of course). He was also selected for the Kangaroo touring squad and was awarded with City Origin honours. Quite a memorable year for young Joel. It would’ve been nice if he’d also been voted the sexiest man alive.

In 2004 Joel was instrumental in the forward packs dominance (bit of rugby language there) that got him his only test against the Kiwis in the ANZAC test. With this he was also awarded with selection in the train on squad with the NSW Blues. However it was a lean year for someone who had showed so much promise (and droolability).

2005 was a little better and although the club didn’t make the finals he was selected to represent City Origin in the annual City vs Country game that was held in Gosford.

Well I have completed my first Forum 7s article so I think I shall cease my ramblings before I make all readers lose the contents of their dinner. I’m sure all Panthers fans are ecstatic about their fantastic and rare first win of the season, and so join me as we hail the MIGHTY PANTHERS!! Good luck to those fierce pussycats for the rest of the season.

P.S. If Joel happens to drop by this site and reads this article, I would be most obliged if somehow you could manage to lose your shorts during the next match. I would be most grateful.

Words including title 672

References:

http://www.panthers.com.au - for his career honours to date

tezzah

Juniors
It was 1 hour before we 18 year olds were about to get on the rugby league field and play against full grown men.

This was the transition between a boy and becoming a Man. Unfortunately I didn’t think that I was ready for playing Top side but my dad, his league mates and the coach believed in me- so I had the belief and the support that encouraged myself to take the field for my clubs Premier grade team.

At 18 years of age I was about to get suited up in my amour and display my talents as a Prop forward. I wasn’t all that great when I started playing league but over the last 2 seasons I had managed to train hard and even harder over the past summer off season.

It was at this point that I felt that all that training had paid off over the junior grades seasons and now over this recent summer with much older guys that I had looked up to for years.

Now that I’m Armored and pumped to warm up I believe that I was ready to take the field.

My heart is pumping faster and faster and the sweat is dripping as the sweltering heat pounds my body during the warm up. I look around and see the rest of the debutants looking anxious as I do at them. We encourage each other with the understanding that for years we played together as juniors and we are now about to play against full grown men and that we wont stand down when it comes down to it.

The club is anticipating the new season uniform kit and the crowd is getting louder as we approach the playing field. I’m looking around at the stands at the park and see my dad, his mates, the many Richmond supporters and the group of teenagers looking at me who are my younger brothers who also play for the club in the school boy grades.

It’s the final words from our coach and captain before a prayer is said. We kick off and it seems that when its time for defence it was a lot faster and the players were obviously a lot more skilled than school boy teams that I was use to. However, my defence was good for my first hit out. I didn’t feel out of place and when it came to do my job to go forward I didn’t feel any different. It was I admit much more physical and technical but I was sure that I was getting the go forward my team desperately needed.

The game was a real roller coaster ride. You learn so much on the field. Desperation, team work, communication, commitment, having fun, making mistakes, showing urgency, knowing your role, doing your job and doing it at your best and most importantly it is all about having a go at facing some of your fears.

Who actually imagines putting themselves in front of a charging Polynesian Prop forward who obviously is over 110 kg’s? It’s about time for the final whistle to blow and I had been on the field for about 30-40 minutes throughout the game. It felt exciting and despite being a little sore it was well worth it as we had won the game 42-18 against Mangere East at our home ground.

Well, I enjoyed the game. Had a battered body for the week and was pleased with myself and the outcome of my first official Premier grade game!

Dread

Juniors
Dread for Sharks.
---

How to Start a Supporter’s Club in 10 weeks

Everybody knows that Sharks fans don’t travel. It’s one of the great rugby league truths; nay, a tradition, just like how the Roosters have no juniors and St George Illawarra have had their premiership slate wiped clean. It’s one of those things that can’t be disputed.

Likewise, it’s something that, despite its cut and dried nature, is disputed nonetheless. I haven’t met a Dragons fan yet who willingly accepts that, when they engulfed the Illawarra, they lost all of their proud history and premiership records to boot. We Sharks fans like to delude ourselves, crying readily from the mountaintops that Sharks fans do like to travel; we just spread ourselves all over a stadium so as to form an illusion of non-attendance.

Such an excuse, of course, is absolute bollocks.

The Sharkie Army, these days known as the Finatics, has always battled on, despite dwindling numbers. Often, however, it appears as though they have more big flags than they have members to wave them. They tradition of the non-travelling Sharks fan lives on.

That is, until 2006.

Witness, my friends, my compatriots, my beloved forum sevens referee, the birth of the CSSC – the Cronulla Sutherland Supporters Club.

Fed up with this state of affairs, a tiny group of like minded young adults banded together to form something that most other clubs had established long ago – an impressive visual presence at away games. They concocted a plan, involving a convoluted system of membership fees, giant banners, polo shirts, truckers caps and sponsorships. They battled through all manner of obstacles; official paperwork, bizarre documentation, bank accounts and fiery locals at Northies, but in the end, they emerged with a sleek new product, the likes of which Sharks fans had never seen before.

Of course, to ask Sharks fans to pay forty dollars to join a club that would allow them to go to away games – something they had never bothered to do before – appeared, at first, somewhat ambitious. What crazed individual would take up such an offer?

Those that wanted to be adorned by the silky blue threads of the official CSSC uniform, that’s who.

And so it was that within weeks, upwards of 50 members had paid and received their merchandise. It was not unlike Jesus passing out bread to his followers, except in this case, the goods passed out were of high material value, and the followers had happily shelled out their hard earned to get their hands on it.

All was well in the land…

… that is, until the evil dictators perched high up in Sharkies Leagues Club heard about the good deeds that the CSSC were performing. One day, a nefarious underling of the club confronted the fine men of the CSSC, demanding to know what they were doing.

‘We are merely creating a supporters club in the effort to support our beloved footballers when they venture forth, out of the Shire.’

‘Bah!’ spat the underling. ‘You’re dragging paying customers away from our own supporters club!’

And with that, they parted ways. As it turned out, the official supporters club was nothing but a money spinner for the club, doing little to actually prod local fans off their backsides and out to support the football team. The package included a ticket to one home game, a bus ticket to an away game, a lovely (yet incredibly cheap) Sharks shopping bag, keyring and a few pieces of paper.

It was clear why the monstrous club officials were angry at the good hearted CSSC – they were showing them up a thousand fold.

Of course, the CSSC did not let this put them off, and they set off to support their team in the first game against the Broncos. All manner of wonderful people appeared, adorned in their beautiful blue polo shirt, cheering and chanting and ranting and raving, only to watch as the football team couldn’t hold a football and crumbled at the might of the underperforming Broncos.

But let that not stop us! For the CSSC will be back, jumping all hurdles thrown in its way as we set off to assault the mighty fortress Brookvale this Saturday night.

May the legend of the non travelling Sharks fan be thrown into the rubbish bin, to forever join St. George’s premiership record, as Shire folk rise up and march beyond Tom Ugly’s bridge for the first time in recorded history.

---
745 words

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 comes in for the sharks and makes a head high tackle on robster that knocks him to the ground.

From Penrith Park to Credit Union Australia Stadium Penrith

The ground has hosted a few local events such as soccer, rugby union and or course the main purpose of the ground, which is the use of it for rugby league.

Penrith Stadium is found located in the western suburbs approximately 40 minutes from Sydney’s CBD down the M4 motorway. The stadium is surrounded by the picturesque Blue Mountains.

The Penrith club had to justify their reason for being admitted to the competition with the reasons of a booming Sydney economy and the spread west saw the rise of the mighty club and also with the Penrith council getting behind them with a promise to build a playing field with lighting and a modern stand.

The ground as a stadium has been there since 1967 and started with a capacity of approximately 23,000 people. The stadium was known as Penrith Park when they were accepted into the New South Wales Rugby League (NSWRL).

The stadium was officially opened on April 23 1967 when the Panthers tackled the might of the St George Dragons. It was a day the Panthers fans would remember, as they saw the might of the dragon brought down by the might of the Panthers 24-12. The crowd for that day was 12,201.

Penrith Park as it was known then didn’t really go under much redevelopment between 1967 and 1978, until the new scoreboard came along. The ground just remained its normal working class venue with cheapest prices in the NSWRL.

In 1978 the Penrith club spent $750,000 on renovations to Penrith Park, including a state of the art sophisticated electronic scoreboard in the shape of a panther. This scoreboard was ahead of its time and stood out as one of the most memorable icons at a Sydney football ground. The scoreboard stands proudly on the southern hill with the Blue Mountains in the background.

In the 80’s Penrith Stadium went under configuration for a new grandstand to be added to the already picturesque ground. It was to be on the eastern side of the ground.

The ground is a replica of a working class field where in fact the ground has 2 hills and 2 stands. The stands are located on the Western and Eastern sides respectively, hence their names the Eastern and Western stands. As for the hills they are of course the Northern and Southern ends of the ground and have names such as the Family Hill (Northern end) and the Score Board Hill (Southern end).

In 2003 the ground broke the capacity not once, not twice but three times with the last figure broken in the western derby against Parramatta in round 26 of the 2003 season the crowd figure was 22,304.

Also in 2003 the ground hosted some breath taking tries also a home semi final against the Brisbane Broncos, the ground also fare welled a great that in Scotty Sattler however the tires where burnt up with the main person being Rhys Wesser.

In the season of 2004 the Federal Government granted a $10 million cash injection to renovate Penrith Football Stadium. This $10 million was to be extended to cover the new drainage and the re turf of the stadium, also to add more structure support to the existing western grandstand, a new extension to the western stand including the media and coaching boxes and also a new football administration. There also will be a brand new stand to be built which will house 1,500 seats approximately underneath the stand; it will house new change room facilities for the Penrith first grade side. This is all part of what is being called project stage one. Eventually there will be stage 2 to get under way once funding comes through stage 2 will exist of a stand connecting the western extension around to the eastern stand around the scoreboard hill this stand is predicted to be double sided to add use for Howell Oval. The stadium also took a new look with a name change after 40 years the stadium…will now become,

CREDIT UNION AUSTRALIA STADIUM PENRITH

40b43.jpg

STAGE 1 of redevelopment

685 words including title

Bookie

Juniors
Bookie gets his first touch of the ball for the Sharks and tries something new first up

=====================================================
The Kid Goes Alright

We all love predicting who the next Joey will be, but for them, it may just be too much.

Think of little James. James comes from a southern Sydney suburb and supports his beloved Dragons. When James is eight years old, he’s playing touch with kids 3 or 4 years older than him and getting out at half time each week at Kogarah Oval and showing of his slickness. Sure, there are another 40 eight-year olds around him, but he’s the one that chases down a speedster, gets the ball for his team, then runs up the makeshift 40 metre field to score a brilliant try that makes the fans lining up for beer turn around and say "Damn, that was good" Sure was.

By age 11, he’s representing the PSSA zone team in rugby league and playing trial matches against high school teams. In two years time, when he’s in Year 8, he’s thrown into the high school first grade team, playing with Year 12s with biceps bigger than his chest. It’s dangerous, but he’s good. In Year 10, he makes the first grade at his local footy club, where he’s now playing with the likes of men in their mid-thirties who have a couple of NRL games under their belt. He himself, mind you, is now on a weights training regime that makes him much bigger than most of his peers. He also has a load of skill.
Soon, he makes the local Flegg side. He’s in there. He’s got the red V on every week. The media’s onto him. The fifteen year old mixing it two grades from the top. Week in, week out, he is pummelled by boys imported from Samoa. He struggles a bit, but gets back on his feet. He now has a manager, he is on a strict diet, and calculus and girlfriends are a thing of the past. Wake up at 6am, jog to weights at 7am, school at 9am, a last period free so he can get home by 3pm, a quick shower and he’s off to Flegg training by 4pm.

Year 12 is here, and bloody hell is it tiring. But now he’s in Premier League. Just one step further and he’s gonna be big. Internet forums and mates at school fire up claiming that he’s the next Joey Johns and should be in first grade already. James just wants to finish his HSC. But now he’s got Premier League training four times a week, and his recent selection in the Australian schoolboys side takes him away from school a week before his trial exams. His teachers tell him that he must get his work done, or otherwise he’s not gonna get very far. His teachers think he should give up the sport for a few months. His coaches tell him that he should do good in school, but this is a big thing for him, this footy, and he should take it very seriously. His parents think he’s suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome. The HSC is here.

The footy finals are here. James gets up bright and early on the first Sunday of October, because (surprisingly), all three grades of the Dragons have made their respective Grand Finals. The whistle blows for the Premier League final. It’s all good til the last 10 minutes, where the scores are level. 10-10. It’s been a good match so far. The stands are full. James’ heart is beating at its maximum rate. The other team’s halfback puts up a towering bomb. James is playing fullback today, and he knows that this will decide his teams fate. He’s taken thousands and bombs at training and in matches. How could this one be any different? He sizes up the chaser from the other team. He jogs to his jumping position where he launches off his right foot with his knee up to protect him from the kid from the other mob. Brilliant take. Taken out.

James didn’t get to complete his HSC, and has since given up his education for a 'possible' career in football.

James, of course, is fictional, but there is just as much pressure as there was on James, as there is on kids like him. Keen footy fans all across NSW have heard of Mitch Pearce and Kurtley Beale. Mitch has been contracted by the Roosters and Kurtley is on a contract with the Waratahs. Next time you start talking one of these kids up, think about little James first.

=======================

750 words exact

Latest posts