What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Team

How dumb of Mary playing a big fella like JDB in the halves? Imagine that. Bad Coaching......

Didn't Hasler put Tony Williams at 5/8 for a few games? He must be a dumb coach as well.....

Whatever Mary does will never please some people even if it is the same as what the so called best coaches of the NRL have done.

Therein encompasses the intellectually bankrupt on this forum.

People wonder why I post one liners. Well this kind of stupidity requires no validation. Unfortunately, it runs through nearly every post. Give me strength, why is there a need to 'explain' common sense?

Straight Shooter

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell the only injury concern for Dragons

Jan. 11, 2016, 3:31 p.m.

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor will have close to a full complement of players available for preseason trials with minor back surgery to Tyson Frizell the only thing currently ailing the squad.
Frizell’s back problem will see him on restricted duty for the next 10-12 weeks but the rest of the squad is fighting fit according to new high performance manager Tony Ayoub.
“All the players have returned in really good shape as they were given individual programs from our strength and conditioning staff for the holiday period and most were happy to do some extras,” Ayoub said.
Ayoub said the club’s International contingent of Mike Cooper, Gareth Widdop and Jason Nightingale have all returned injury free from the end of season Test series in the UK

“Gareth actually came in a number of times off his own bat and did some extra sessions with some of the staff who were willing to come in over the break,” Ayoub said.
“It’s as if they never had a break and it’s all been really positive.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3656898/dragons-fighting-fit-for-trials/?cs=302

giboz71

First Grade
Lol Slip, if that's your defense of Mary, it's a pretty poor one...using the second dumbest positional decision to justify the dumbest!

The whole JDB to half fiasco - my biggest take out of the whole situation wasn't the move itself (granted, it wasn't Mary's smartest), but rather the state of our roster that during a critical stage of the season, we had ZERO back up halves.

Keating and Henry were shown the door, Hutch was clearly not ready (hence Mary didn't play him). Benji hadn't played a full season in years - what exactly was our plan if he went down??

And all the while, Jack Bird was leading the Sharks to within a game of the top 4 and having a rookie of the year season.

And he was told there may not be a spot for him in FG????

FMD

The Nick

Bench
The whole JDB to half fiasco - my biggest take out of the whole situation wasn't the move itself (granted, it wasn't Mary's smartest), but rather the state of our roster that during a critical stage of the season, we had ZERO back up halves.

Keating and Henry were shown the door, Hutch was clearly not ready (hence Mary didn't play him). Benji hadn't played a full season in years - what exactly was our plan if he went down??

And all the while, Jack Bird was leading the Sharks to within a game of the top 4 and having a rookie of the year season.

And he was told there may not be a spot for him in FG????

FMD

Actually JDB started at half because we took a limited squad on a 10 day road trip from New Zealand to Brisbane. Benji got injured against NZ, JDB filled in admirably and then was given first crack the following week.

It didn't work, the mistake was never repeated again. But people like OV will continue to bring it up because they're clearly clutching to very limited straws now.

But hey let's keep discussing the team selection back in round 23 last season. It's incredibly relevant.

giboz71

First Grade
Actually JDB started at half because we took a limited squad on a 10 day road trip from New Zealand to Brisbane. Benji got injured against NZ, JDB filled in admirably and then was given first crack the following week.

It didn't work, the mistake was never repeated again. But people like OV will continue to bring it up because they're clearly clutching to very limited straws now.

But hey let's keep discussing the team selection back in round 23 last season. It's incredibly relevant.

Actually, I think it was very relevant in terms of recruitment decisions made this year.

The recruitment of Mann and McCrone means we'll never (hopefully) go down that path ever again.

V

Vasilevsky

How on earth would you be a better coach than Mary? You are yet to demonstrate sufficient rugby league knowledge that would even qualify you to coach U6's.

Even Vasil and Dino have demonstrated more than you.

Anyone who has ever played the game (so clearly not you) knows that they need more from a coach than someone who simply whinges about the administration of the club.

A coach needs to be able to come up with solutions (which Mary has done over and over since taking the top job), not just complain about the same mundane points repeatedly (like how you keep banging on about JDB at half LAST SEASON, for example).

Straight Shooter

WTF are you talking about???? On what basis to you say that (the suggestion I don't know what I'm talking about)?

I know that without me and Objective View this forum would quickly dissipate because the regular posters would start dying of boredom but that's no excuse to talk s**t.

The Nick

Bench
WTF are you talking about???? On what basis to you say that (the suggestion I don't know what I'm talking about)?

I know that without me and Objective View this forum would quickly dissipate because the regular posters would start dying of boredom but that's no excuse to talk s**t.

Calm down, comrade. I haven't suggested you don't know what you're talking about, I meant it in the context that whilst many people disagree with you, you never fail to back up and explain your opinions and reasoning behind them. In doing so you have demonstrated significantly more rugby league knowledge than OV.

As Lenin once said "I'm a rock, I am an island".

Shadow Dragon

Juniors
1. Mann
2. Nightingale
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Pete

6. Widdop
7. Marshall

8. Leeson
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Tyson
12. Joel
13. Mike
14. Ben
15. JDB
16. Mose
17. Will

getsmarty

Immortal
NO ONE gave the Dragons any chance of snaring a finals spot last season and now with a few astute acquisitions the rebuilt Dragons look to go even better in 2016.
The loss of Trent Merrin shouldn’t hurt the Red V too much given they have a ready-made replacement in Jack de Belin.
Big bopper recruits Dunamis Lui and Mose Masoe should fight it out for a bench spot which will give Paul McGregor great impact off the bench.
The addition of strike centre Tim Lafai will add some much needed potency to the Dragons attack.
RLW’s Top 17 for the St George Illawarra Dragons:

1. Kurt Mann
2. Peter Mata’utia
3. Josh Dugan
4. Tim Lafai
5. Jason Nightingale
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Benji Marshall
8. Leeson Ah Mau
9. Mitch Rein
10. Russell Packer
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
INTERCHANGE:
14. Josh McCrone
15. Ben Creagh
16. Mike Cooper
17. Mose Masoe
Dragons gains and losses for 2016:
Ins: Kurt Mann (Storm), Siliva Havili (Warriors), Mose Masoe (St Helens RLFC), Dunamis Lui (Sea Eagles), Tyrone McCarthy (Hull Kingston Rovers), Sebastine Ikahihifo (Warriors), Kalifa Faifai Loa (Titans), Josh McCrone (Raiders), Taane Milne (Roosters), Adam Quinlan (St Helens RLFC), Tim Lafai (Bulldogs), Russell Packer (Illawarra Cutters)
Outs: Trent Merrin (Panthers), Dan Hunt (retirement), Charly Runciman (Widnes Vikings), Nathan Green (Sea Eagles) Rory O’Brien (Eels), Eto Nabuli (rugby union), Justin Hunt (Tigers), Heath L’Estrange (retirement), Adam Tuimavave-Gerard (released), Rulon Nutira (Redcliffe), Jack Kavanagh (CQ Capras), Shannon Wakeman (released), Shannon Crook (released), Mark Ioane (London Broncos), George Rose (released)

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/rlws-top-17-dragons/

possm

Coach
1. Mann
2. Mata’utia
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop (c)
7. Marshall
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Frizell / Mathews
12. Thompson
13. De Belin

INTERCHANGE:
14. Creagh
15. Cooper
16. Masoe

17. Havili

V

Vasilevsky

possm said:

1. Mann
2. Mata’utia
3. Dugan
4. Lafai
5. Nightingale
6. Widdop (c)
7. Marshall
8. Ah Mau
9. Rein
10. Packer
11. Frizell / Mathews
12. Thompson
13. De Belin

INTERCHANGE:
14. Creagh
15. Cooper
16. Masoe

17. Havili

WTF has Mann ever done, apart from being mistaken for Munster, to deserve a chance ahead of Aitken?

V

Vasilevsky

Pretty much every single post by you would back that statement up

Sorry but I have no interest in your braying. If you want to get into an exchange you will have to do much better than that.... idiot:roll:

possm

Coach
WTF has Mann ever done, apart from being mistaken for Munster, to deserve a chance ahead of Aitken?

I've got Mann at fullback mainly because I believe Mary will move Dugan to right center and Widdop now being captain won't be moved to fullback.

Aitken is a great prospect and played well at right center last year however it appears Mary wants more thrust at right center and does not believe Mann or Aitken can provide that for him.

V

Vasilevsky

I've got Mann at fullback mainly because I believe Mary will move Dugan to right center and Widdop now being captain won't be moved to fullback.

Aitken is a great prospect and played well at right center last year however it appears Mary wants more thrust at right center and does not believe Mann or Aitken can provide that for him.

I see. Sound judgement but I have concerns about Mann at fullback. Remember Gerald Beale? Can pass the ball but has running power/tackle breaking ability of Luke Burt.

Mann will be given a chance in the trails but I think by round 1 Aitken will be in the centres and Dugan fullback. Or Maybe Matautai will be fullback and Lafai winger.

Country Dragon

Juniors
I see. Sound judgement but I have concerns about Mann at fullback. Remember Gerald Beale? Can pass the ball but has running power/tackle breaking ability of Luke Burt.

Mann will be given a chance in the trails but I think by round 1 Aitken will be in the centres and Dugan fullback. Or Maybe Matautai will be fullback and Lafai winger.

There is no way Lafai will be on the wing,that's just ludicrous!