What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Sharks

redv13

Bench
Imma gonna just leave this table here..

Errors in 2021..

unfortunately the top doesn’t fit in, but the first column is games played, 2nd is number of errors.

View attachment 46621

Dufty has the same number of errors as Lomax, and only one more than Ramsay..

Where’s the lynch mob for those two?

#sackzac
#ramseydismay

The flick pass over the sideline with a 2 meter corridor was never on and is 1 area of his game that he needs to show better judgment and patience with.

redv13

Bench

Errors in 2021..

unfortunately the top doesn’t fit in, but the first column is games played, 2nd is number of errors.

View attachment 46621

#sackzac
#ramseydismay

Maybe you could rustle up a fullback error count and compare Dufty to the other 15. I’d be shocked if Dufty isn’t the top for fullback errors

Inisai Toga

Juniors
How did that winger get off? He ran from the other side of the field and more or less led in with a punch into Lawrie's head when he was not looking? Am I the only one who saw that? I thought if you throw a punch it is a sinbin but he got nothing. Wade Graham is the new Cam Smith. Grub who has the refs under a spell.
nope said exactly that in an earlier post..

kit66

Bench
Plenty have commented favourably on Paul Vaughan. I thought that it was a positive that he was interviewed last week for the website. I think the first time since he re-signed. Maybe he senses greater responsibility. But I am surprised that no one made the link between Vaughan's lift in performance with spending more time on the bench before half time. Mary used to flog him every week. Leaving out consideration of Williame I thought Griffin's bench management was far better than what we have been used to. Not sure whether Poasa's time may have been limited by a head knock.

Lawrie and Vaughan led the way in what a number have seen as a decent forward effort especially after half time. Maybe some commonsense was talked at the break. But given our deficit in possession it was no surprise to see the Sharks' forwards being credited with more running metres. However what the stats show is just how many more metres they got out of their edge forwards. Sims and Kerr were only in the 40s and 50s. Something that I am sure will be worked on.

Finally on Dufty: the Dufty haters have had a field day. For me, I am feeling uncomfortable being on Muzby's side in the great Dufty debate. From memory Dufty dropped two bombs. I thought both went backward. Strange how in one game whether the ball was judged to be a knock on or back depended on which team touched it. As the coach says Dufty must and is working on catching the high ball. But I am amazed at blaming the first half tries on him. He seemed to have the measure of the first ball before Hunt raced through. Additionally how he could be expected to anticipate the little dribble from Kennedy I do not know. That was certainly Tariq's ball.

Some great points Steve.
Firstly the bench - I noticed both Vaughan and Lawrie leave the field at the same time in the first half and I remember thinking it's a bit early, they were doing well but you're right, Hook's management of the bench seemed overall to be spot on. We had energy in the second half and turned around a poor "average set distance" to a very healthy 45 mtrs per set. It was the unforced errors meaning we made 130 more tackles than Cronulla that finally took it's toll in the last 15 minutes.

Secondly Dufty - I'm a Dufty fan, defend him all the time but whether he dropped the bombs back or forward, the thing was that Cronulla got the ball and scored in that set on both occasions. He needs to catch the ball, no more excuses. The first try was not entirely his fault but he needed to call "mine ! " to Hunt, simple communication would have helped. The second try had nothing to do with Dufty he was racing out to cover the opposing winger in case the ball went that far ( by kick or pass ). Others should have cleaned that up. Hopefully they'll work on everyone's discipline at training - it's all in the head that stuff. If he can replicate his 13 tries and 15 try assists in the next 20 rounds I'll be happy though.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Saints did well 2nd half and if not for some really tough calls would have won that game easily. The no try to Ramsey was a big call. It should have at least been a knock on Saints was as Kennedy knocked the ball first in Bird's tackle, how else would it come loose. It should have been Saints feed but instead the VAR only looked at ways to disallow the try and not to make the right call after it.

The first half Cronulla had close to a perfect half with no errors and heaps of ball yet scored 2 tries off kicks which were off Saints errors (double whammy), so a credit to Saints defence to only keep it to 2 tries.

Compared to other games I saw, Saints were not the worst team in the round? Manly won that hands down and I thought the Dogs were not that impressive as Knights scored some pretty soft tries close to the line.

My standouts were Hunt, Bird, McCullough and Vaughn. Dufty scored an absolute screamer of a try and Clunes was pretty good too. Ravalawa's hit on Moylan I think from memory was a cracker. Rava is monster in defence. Not many teams will dare run down his side.
Agree mate, i listened to it on the radio and then watched the replay this morning; thoroughly enjoyed the first half and didn’t match the radio call at all. High standard of football in those conditions.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think he’s more suited to 5/8.

He will need learn to tackle or the coach will need to get Beau Scott out of retirement as a bodyguard for him .

However I don’t believe he is anymore a natural 5/8th than he is a fullback . We have young Sullivan who is just that - a natural , both with his passing and also kicking he truly attacks the line .

I believe that the Duff - if he continues to be caught out of position and simply unable to have confidence under the high ball then perhaps he could be better suited to come onto the field in the final 15 minutes or so of each half as the opposition’s defense is tiring .

That is when he is at his most dangerous - a tiring defensive line , he would be like a knife through butter , worth a try .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Its just dumb.

Why the need to change it from last season is beyond me.

Waiting for a review, whilst frustrating is better than having a try awarded and then reversed.
IMO, it's not the sort of thing that will lead to an increase in crowds or viewers. It sucks the excitement out of seeing the try awarded. IMO, it will ultimately turn people off.

It looks like it's just some anal change to the game. I'd be surprised to see it still there in 2022.

Maddragon99

Juniors
He will need learn to tackle or the coach will need to get Beau Scott out of retirement as a bodyguard for him .

However I don’t believe he is anymore a natural 5/8th than he is a fullback . We have young Sullivan who is just that - a natural , both with his passing and also kicking he truly attacks the line .

I believe that the Duff - if he continues to be caught out of position and simply unable to have confidence under the high ball then perhaps he could be better suited to come onto the field in the final 15 minutes or so of each half as the opposition’s defense is tiring .

That is when he is at his most dangerous - a tiring defensive line , he would be like a knife through butter , worth a try .
Typical Dufty game really, flash of brilliance mixed in with a number of fundamental errors. Question is, we know Ramsey is also capable of Brilliance but would he be more reliable than Dufty at the back?

Ramsey’s injury didn’t look good so we’ll have to wait.

gitano

Juniors

Errors in 2021..

View attachment 46621

#sackzac
#ramseydismay
I've been saying it from day one about Slomax.

BuT he DoEs a FlIck PaSs!!1

Wittenberg

Juniors
Saints did well 2nd half and if not for some really tough calls would have won that game easily. The no try to Ramsey was a big call. It should have at least been a knock on Saints was as Kennedy knocked the ball first in Bird's tackle, how else would it come loose. It should have been Saints feed but instead the VAR only looked at ways to disallow the try and not to make the right call after it.

The first half Cronulla had close to a perfect half with no errors and heaps of ball yet scored 2 tries off kicks which were off Saints errors (double whammy), so a credit to Saints defence to only keep it to 2 tries.

Compared to other games I saw, Saints were not the worst team in the round? Manly won that hands down and I thought the Dogs were not that impressive as Knights scored some pretty soft tries close to the line.

My standouts were Hunt, Bird, McCullough and Vaughn. Dufty scored an absolute screamer of a try and Clunes was pretty good too. Ravalawa's hit on Moylan I think from memory was a cracker. Rava is monster in defence. Not many teams will dare run down his side.
I agree with some of your points and I did feel the score flattered the Sharks. As far as Rava being a beast in defence, when he times his rushing in right it is spectacular but he tries it too much and the Shark’s try from a scrum where he rushed and came up with air and provided them with a try, will mean that other sides will target his side a lot throughout the year. Yes the odd opponent will be smashed, but a few tries will happen as well.

Gareth67

First Grade
Typical Dufty game really, flash of brilliance mixed in with a number of fundamental errors. Question is, we know Ramsey is also capable of Brilliance but would he be more reliable than Dufty at the back?

Ramsey’s injury didn’t look good so we’ll have to wait.

Yes unfortunately the injury sustained by Ramsey will leave us waiting for the answer Maddragon . However as far as his attack is concerned - from the fullback position he has carved them up , although that is in the C.Cup competition .

The lads defense and confidence under the high ball is yet to be discovered in this the top grade , perhaps more so when one has 20 stone behemoths bearing down upon you , it will certainly be different compared to the lower grades .

ALSGI

Bench
On reading this thread it is pretty clear plenty of posters already have an opinion of the team and some of the players then look at the game for evidence to prove their view. So before I record anything I will admit to my bias. I have been fanatical about the Dragons for close to 60 years and basically don't give a toss about the NRL. In going to yesterday's game I had no concerns over where we might finish on the table this season. What I was looking for was some signs of improvement from the lost years under the Coaching Imposter.

So what did I get for my $32? A ticketed seat, only the numbered seat didn't exist! Can you believe I paid Ticketek $7 for their services? A really cold, wet experience. But on the positive side, queuing up at entry I got to met Mr Feagai, obviously a very proud but humble Samoan. He surprised me by telling me the twins are relatively new to League having grown up as Union players. Later I got to see the boys close up as once I was issued with a real seat I was close to where Mum and Dad Feagai were sitting. Appeared like a wholesome, close-knit family.

I don't won't to bore prospective readers with repetition of what others have written. I thought Cronulla's win was largely based on a superior kicking game, both in terms of swirling bombs and short kicks, some luck in the in-goal and a greater share of possession. Had Poasa been able to ground the grubber between the posts it may have been a different game. Similarly Ramsey's "try". Bird also got a ball over the line.

I am glad to see no one has resorted to labelling Lawrie a "plodder" after yesterday's game. From the start he was sprinting from marker to dive at the feet of the ball carrier. Then in the second half he made some tough runs crashing into his opponents. And of course he rushed into support Dufty after the high shot. Fittler said last year that through the junior rep ranks Blake was always a standout. Now under a new coaching regime maybe it's his time to show us what he can do. I would say about his development that while it may have been slowed under Mary I don't think his progress was undermined by the narcissist to the extent of Sele, Luciano and Host.

Plenty have commented favourably on Paul Vaughan. I thought that it was a positive that he was interviewed last week for the website. I think the first time since he re-signed. Maybe he senses greater responsibility. But I am surprised that no one made the link between Vaughan's lift in performance with spending more time on the bench before half time. Mary used to flog him every week. Leaving out consideration of Williame I thought Griffin's bench management was far better than what we have been used to. Not sure whether Poasa's time may have been limited by a head knock.

Lawrie and Vaughan led the way in what a number have seen as a decent forward effort especially after half time. Maybe some commonsense was talked at the break. But given our deficit in possession it was no surprise to see the Sharks' forwards being credited with more running metres. However what the stats show is just how many more metres they got out of their edge forwards. Sims and Kerr were only in the 40s and 50s. Something that I am sure will be worked on.

The last point is the most crucial - things will be worked on! I missed Mary at the Press Conference for the laughs he used to regularly provide. On the other hand Griffin's Press Conference was so sensible, balanced, calm and down to earth by comparison, "it's a marathon not a sprint". He explained Dufty's distress in the dressing room and said he is working hard on catching bombs.

Finally on Dufty: the Dufty haters have had a field day. For me, I am feeling uncomfortable being on Muzby's side in the great Dufty debate. From memory Dufty dropped two bombs. I thought both went backward. Strange how in one game whether the ball was judged to be a knock on or back depended on which team touched it. As the coach says Dufty must and is working on catching the high ball. But I am amazed at blaming the first half tries on him. He seemed to have the measure of the first ball before Hunt raced through. Additionally how he could be expected to anticipate the little dribble from Kennedy I do not know. That was certainly Tariq's ball.
Very well said and agree 100%

Wittenberg

Juniors
We did play better than the score suggests, but while the Sharks were the better side, the score did not really reflect the game and decisions and luck certainly went against us. I saw for the first time for a while the real Paul Vaughan. Great effort and two players who played better than I usually give them credit for were Lawrie and to a lesser extent Kerr. Lawrie really rolled up his sleeves. And while I’m handling out praise, our exBronco hooker was fantastic with the niggle and put it to Woods and Graham whenever he could.He is no McInness but he doesn’t mind the rough stuff.

Spazer

Juniors
Question is, we know Ramsey is also capable of Brilliance but would he be more reliable than Dufty at the back?
Brilliant player but I don't know, his trial at fb against the eels was a shocker with more errors and missed tackles than dufty last night. Even at wing he has a habit of dropping his lollies. Probably needs a bit more first grade experience on the wing first.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Maybe you could rustle up a fullback error count and compare Dufty to the other 15. I’d be shocked if Dufty isn’t the top for fullback errors
You go and do it.

FMD talk about lazy..

qld redvee

Juniors
dont know if theres been many comments about hooks first presser BUT how refreshing to hear the coach actually talking sense and saying something like there is no admirable loss and he said we made too many errors . not like old whats his name that would have run out gobbley gook ... Also in the presser some journo asked about us fans not being patient and then on fox james hooper says the same thing.. talk about stirring the pot ...

Dragsters

First Grade
I'm happy after round 1.

Not with the result or the amount of errors but with the attitude, effort, linespeed and sustained commitment to the Big Red V shown, especially from the pigs.

It was what I was hoping to see from a team that has spent an entire off season with an actual coach.

Combinations will eventuate, but if the effort remains then things will improve and results will come.

This is a team I can cheer for from the heart again and that's a great start...

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
If Vaughan can reproduce his latest effort and we can get a couple more to follow suit, then we will at least will be competitive....Still a lot of one out stuff with noone in support but under the conditions last night it was a pass mark effort for most of our forwards.....