What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I know it's already been mentioned, but Peter Wallace was very ordinary for you guys. Probably a bit to early on, but I reckon he needs a few weeks in reserve grade. Give another bronco the 7 jersey.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Did you even watch the game?

McCullough was a non event.........
Yes I did ... McCullough was hooked for offering nothing in attack, I agree with that.

And so then Ben Hunt came on, your ruck defence softened up and the Cowboys took control of the advantage line, scoring 2 tries late in the half when McCullough was off.

And, by the by, Hunt offered just as much as McCullough did in attack .. i.e. nothing.

Arguably Hunt's total impact on the game was negative due to that stupid grubber on tackle 3 when you were 5m out from the Cowboys' line.

Big Pete

Referee
Hunt was actually better in attack, was actually running it ahead. Did make some dip s**t mistakes though.

Neither was great.

AuDragon

Juniors
Beale was better than Yow Yeh and Gagai
Can't agree with that at all, Beale was solid but watching him play is almost as exciting as watching paint dry... :sarcasm:

Gagai's inexperience did show, but that's errors that can and will be ironed out with a more games and time.

When Hodgo comes back, Reed should get the remanining centre spot as far as I'm concerned...

AuDragon

Juniors
Yes I did ... McCullough was hooked for offering nothing in attack, I agree with that.

And so then Ben Hunt came on, your ruck defence softened up and the Cowboys took control of the advantage line, scoring 2 tries late in the half when McCullough was off.

And, by the by, Hunt offered just as much as McCullough did in attack .. i.e. nothing.

Arguably Hunt's total impact on the game was negative due to that stupid grubber on tackle 3 when you were 5m out from the Cowboys' line.
Spot on.

Macca's air swing in the first half was no better than Hunt's grubber though.

I still think Wallace could make a very good 80 mins hooker. The big question is whether Hunt can fill the halfback spot... :roll:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Agree with most comments above. Both McCullough and Hunt had shockers and unfortunately has me asking the question is Baptiste ready? :(

I'm really starting to grow tired of Wallace. He is a senior member of the team and someone we should be able to rely on. But he doesn't even look dangerous in attack and does stupid things like that last kick at the end of the game.

I was pretty happy with Reed and Gagai. Gagai made some mistakes any rookie would but at least when he was running the ball he looked dangerous.

I think the most disappointing thing was the forwards. Especially after all the talk in the offseason about how strong they are and how much depth we have. Our tackling was again very soft which allowed Cowboys to get quick play the balls away. I really hope with Hooks reputation of good defence that will change, its been like this for years now.

Our attack was just completely disorganised. Noone knew what anyone was doing and people were just getting in everyones way.

3. Lockyer
2. Hoffman
1. Tronc

Country Bronco

Juniors
Few points about last nights game.

Shane Tronc's name was announced twice as Scott Tronc.

Cowboys props weren't sighted for first 20 minutes besides hits in defence then James Tamou comes on and scores within 60 seconds.

Every mistake we made in the first half we were disorganised after and were made to pay for it.

We made a couple silly errors.

Down 16-4.

Second half we had more than our fair share of field position and possession but we squandered the opportunities going for the big play.

10 points second half and held them pointless despite some hairy moments.

The set piece of the scrum for gagai's try was magic and also another set piece worked well which was a variation going to the right and using lockyer as a decoy as hoffman got the ball from sweeping around. It nearly paid off.

There was a scrum where we actually pushed is that legal in this day and age?lol

Had Gillett not promoted the ball. Would his momentum gotten him over the line? This doesn't need a answer. But also related to that: Matty Bowen struck at the ball with his foot in the action of gillett no try.Will this be cited by the post match judiciary?

I liked Yow Yeh's tackle on Tonga (i think, not sure). It was a bell ringer and saved a certain try.

All debutants played solid and I don't see any reason not to select them in the future except I think beale will step aside for hodges to return and reed to move to left centre.

We weren't far off a win in the end. I'm sure with improved execution and performance of our hookers and the addition of Hennant and Hodges that we'll be better and have a win.

Last edited:

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Had Gillett not promoted the ball. Would his momentum gotten him over the line? This doesn't need a answer. But also related to that: Matty Bowen struck at the ball with his foot in the action of gillett no try.Will this be cited by the post match judiciary?

Yes I think Gillette would have gone over with momentum even if he didn't lift his arm, nospam29 got to him. Whilst the ref should be applauded for making the decision on the spot, in hindsight the decision should have been referred and we would have got a penalty for Matt Bowens foot.

Some decisions went the Broncos way as well so we cant complain there.

beave

Coach
I think most things even-ed out in the end. I thought the standard of reffing was really good last night.

Commiserations on the loss, but we need to take whatever wins we can, after watching the likes of Carl Webb and Kaufusi make an absolute mockery of my beloved cowboy jersey for the last few years, it was a pleasure to watch my team again grind out a win with some heart and courage. We've been a joke for 3 years now, time for us to lift our game.

cheers

Big Pete

Referee
Congratulations beave and fellow Cowboys fans, it's been awhile since the Cows got off to a decent start and hopefully they'll go on with it.

Ref calls definitely evened out in the end, those last 10 mins. seemed like a huge get square on a lot of fronts.

Mr Fourex

Bench
I think most things even-ed out in the end. I thought the standard of reffing was really good last night.

Commiserations on the loss, but we need to take whatever wins we can, after watching the likes of Carl Webb and Kaufusi make an absolute mockery of my beloved cowboy jersey for the last few years, it was a pleasure to watch my team again grind out a win with some heart and courage. We've been a joke for 3 years now, time for us to lift our game.

cheers

Henry has at least somehow awakened Ashton Sims. Haven't seen him play that well for a long time.

AuDragon

Juniors
Henry has at least somehow awakened Ashton Sims. Haven't seen him play that well for a long time.
I thought he was piss poor and by far the worst Cowboy. All he wanted to do was put shots on Broncos players, especially Anderson...:roll:

beads6

First Grade
I thought he was piss poor and by far the worst Cowboy. All he wanted to do was put shots on Broncos players, especially Anderson...:roll:

NO just no although he was really trying to hammer Anderson. Love the way Sims goes hard in defence, shame he doesn't make much of an impact in attack.

Big Pete

Referee
I really didn't think Sims was that great, stock standard Sims performance if you ask me.

No where near as good as his late 09 work.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Yes I think Gillette would have gone over with momentum even if he didn't lift his arm, nospam29 got to him. Whilst the ref should be applauded for making the decision on the spot, in hindsight the decision should have been referred and we would have got a penalty for Matt Bowens foot.

Some decisions went the Broncos way as well so we cant complain there.

Thought so. No complaints. I'm not trying to undermind the result with which I thought we deserved or start a bowen hate club ( it was good to see him back near his best). I'm happy to say some decisions went our way, some decisions went theirs, its all football. But ultimately, justice was found. Well done cowboys on your win.

Dazzat

First Grade
It's obvious the Cowboys have worked hard on their defence. The Bronco's inside balls were covered all night, and our only tries came from back line wide shifts.

Besides a kick from Parker, it seemed to me the Broncos were relying too heavily on Lockyer for the big plays again. It was the old "pass the ball to Lockyer when in doubt" mind-set and the Cowboys easily defended it. Lockyer tried to throw too many miracle balls with Cowboys defenders right in their faces ... the passes were never going to stick.

I'm a fan of Wallace, but he had a poor game last night. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, as I think he'll bounce back.

Our forwards were soft and once again lacked a leader. Hannant's return should address that, and Hodges' return should take the pressure off Lockyer (in time).

3. Hoffman
2. Parker
1. Lockyer

Mr Fourex

Bench

Uhmmm.......yeah, that's what he's supposed to do :roll:

I really didn't think Sims was that great, stock standard Sims performance if you ask me.

No where near as good as his late 09 work.

A stock standard Sims performance usually includes the customary 3 or 4 dropped balls. I think I only saw one from him last night. I didn't think he was great. Just thought it was the best I'd seen from him for a long time

Last edited:

beave

Coach
He showed more prick than any front rower we've had since Rauhihi was here (Matt Scott is awesome, but he isn't a hit man of sorts). If he keeps improving little by little each game, I think Ashton will be a great asset to this team. We've had too many cream puff front rowers over the years play in the blue and grey (Tronc is definitely one of them), it's about time we have someone who can put on a bit of a hit now and then and put a bit of fear into the opposition.

I can't wait to see how Tariq goes in first grade, I know a lot of you Broncs fans would have seen him in the under 20's, I saw him for the first time a few weeks ago against the tigers here and my god he is going to be good. He reminds me of a luke o'donnell but 10 years younger, he is absolutely ripped. I just hope he has more luck with suspensions and injuries than old Luke.

Another thing last night was having Dallas johnson working tirelessly, he is the type of player we have missed. No frills, no B/S, just a worker who will plug the gaps and make those one %ers. Was a pleasure watching him bust a gut. The idiots in charge of this club should have signed him as a kid though, he has always been good, even in the jnr ranks.

Big Pete

Referee
A stock standard Sims performance usually includes the customary 3 or 4 dropped balls. I think I only saw one from him last night. I didn't think he was great. Just thought it was the best I'd seen from him for a long time

Not since 2008 it hasn't been.