What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

renouf

Juniors
We will never win a comp with spuds like Wallace at halfback. I am sorry but Hunt provides more in attack. I don't care how many tackles Wallace makes, he can't attack!

hes still recovering from injuries though right.. just excuses. Hunt doesn't seem much better, but maybe we need to persist with him because Wallace isn't likely to ever get better. Players don't just miraclously become better players, if your sh*t, then you'll be sh*t forever.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
We will never win a comp with spuds like Wallace at halfback. I am sorry but Hunt provides more in attack. I don't care how many tackles Wallace makes, he can't attack!

Hunt was dreadful. Tried a stupid grubber and knocked the ball on cold at dummy half.

Dingus

Juniors
Being at the game i feel the broncos had a reasonably strong second half. Anyone calling for wallace's head is being foolish, given hunt's horrible game. Anderson was the only forward to justify his starting place, glenn and gillett did little to satisfy. Thaiday should have started, simply because he was very much overexited when he came on and charged up, opening some gaps, should have started and shown a calm experienced head for the younger ones.

In the end it was three tries of piece, and after a sluggish 15minute to half time, they looked ok. Hannant will certainly improve the forwards, and hopefully hodges can provide that experience in attack after the opposition continuously charge forward and cutdown our attack before it gets going.

Dingus

Juniors

hunt was by far the worst player on the field, whilst not being good, wallace was not bad, and he is definately not to blame for the defeat

Country Bronco

Juniors
I'm happy as I said I would be. For all intensive purposes, I've got to give a 3 2 1.

3. Hoffman
2. Tronc
1. Lockyer

That being said, i can get to bed now and look forward to the next game.

hellteam

First Grade
Hunt had a shocker, get him back to q cup. Hope te reo comes good, he really could be our saviour in that bench spot in my opinion.

Few questionable coaching decisions tonight I must say. Thaiday should start at second row. Teo needs to be given more ball wider of the ruck, off lockyer and Wallace. And gillett needs to come off the bench so he's not stuffed by the time the other team is, it massively dulls his impact when he starts.

Bit negative there, but oh well 25 weeks to go...

Big Pete

Referee
3. Corey Parker
2. Darren Lockyer
1. Josh Hoffman

Tronc, McGuire and Reed all deserve mentions too.

Disappointing start but there were some positive signs there. Just need to get back to basics and work through the middle of the ruck and work on building a base before trying out all those fancy offloads that may stick in trial games but in high intensity NRL games will be caught out 9/10.

As for the quality of the game, I must of been watching a different game, I thought it was fine for a round one clash. Plenty of improvement though in both sides.

AuDragon

Juniors
Tronc, McGuire and Reed all deserve mentions too.

Disappointing start but there were some positive signs there. Just need to get back to basics and work through the middle of the ruck and work on building a base before trying out all those fancy offloads that may stick in trial games but in high intensity NRL games will be caught out 9/10.

As for the quality of the game, I must of been watching a different game, I thought it was fine for a round one clash. Plenty of improvement though in both sides.
Agree with the gist of this.

3- Hoffman
2- Lockyer
1- Parker

The forwards were not that bad and their stats prove it, but the Cows defended much better than us and our attack was totally flat, with Macca wearing most responsibility for the loss, both for his piss poor delivery and weak defense.
Wallace and Hunt were better, but still well below acceptable at this level.

It was only the 1st round and the cobwebs were harder to shake than expected, so we should get better.
We should give this 6, 7, 9 combo a bit more time under Hook, but if there's no rapid improvement, I reckon Wallace at fulltime hooker and Hunt fulltime halfback might be a better solution...

beads6

First Grade
Cowboys played better than us IMO but we still stayed in the game which is good. We need McCullough to stand up and get our attack to be much deeper. Any criticism of Beale is strange, I think he looks good with the ball and made some good decisions in defence. Our attack will look much better when we are deeper. Lockyer threw it behind Glenn and Te'o twice in 5 mins. Wallace needs to grow a set and be the player we know he can be.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Sorry to say but Peter Walace picked up where he left off last year in attack. Average. The boy can tackle but fails to make opportunities when attacking the line.

Yep ....exactly. Other than catch and pass or kick, Peter Wallace has no idea what to do with the ball in his hands. Once again the plays have to come from Lockyer.

In saying that though, I was suitably impressed by the younger players. Reed and Beale I thought for this stage of their carrers were outstanding......Gagai ...Yow yea.....at times looked dangerous in attack. Hoffman was great. They all showed a little nerves and inexperience at times, it's to be expected. The greasy conditions didn't help with handling. Lockyer played to his true champion status considering his earlier head knock courtesy of Corey Parker

Wallace....see comments above ^^^^

Forwards seemed to be tiring......I liked Anderson. He got smashed time and time again but kept going at them. Thaiday was dissappointing. Parker.......Corey is frustrating me. He tries to do too much .......some of it comes off. A lot of it doesn't.

On the whole........encouraging signs for the Broncs. I thought we should have won. Our missed opportunities down on the Cowboys try line cost us the game. We have to be able to come up with a better game play than....throw the ball to locky.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
We need McCullough to stand up and get our attack to be much deeper.
How can he when your coach doesn't give him minutes?!

McCullough only played about 30 minutes:
12 tackles, 3 hitups.

Ben Hunt played hooker for most of the game:
28 tackles, 4 hitups.

Hopefully when Hodges comes back in, it is at the expense of Beale rather than Reed!

beads6

First Grade

12 tackles, 3 hitups.

28 tackles, 4 hitups.

Hopefully when Hodges comes back in, it is at the expense of Beale rather than Reed!

Macca was hooked for being hopeless. If he was playing like he should be he would have played plenty more minutes.:crazy:

Mr Fourex

Bench

12 tackles, 3 hitups.

28 tackles, 4 hitups.

Did you even watch the game?

McCullough was a non event.........

Beale was solid

.......as was Reed.

hellteam

First Grade
I honestly can't understand how anyone that watches the Broncos can rate Hunt. He's played, what, 15-20 games? or so by now, and has never done anything good. He has made mistakes, looked completely out of his depth at this level; which is fair enough he is young.

He should not be in the team he is not ready, it is doing nothing for him playing 30 minutes at hooker each week, he needs to be playing full games in the QLD CUP at halfback (where he struggled last year - but he will learn). Does no one agree with me here or what?

Mr Fourex

Bench
He should not be in the team he is not ready, it is doing nothing for him playing 30 minutes at hooker each week, he needs to be playing full games in the QLD CUP at halfback (where he struggled last year - but he will learn). Does no one agree with me here or what?

I agree here..........

He still has a long way to go.

(I'd rather see him have a game at half and give Wallace time off.)

Broncos93

Juniors
3. Lockyer
2. Parker
1. Hoffman

I reckon our forwards need to muscle up. The Souths v Chooks game was full of intimidating dominant tackles by the packs which were all solid. Even the Cowboys came out and smashed us in the very first tackle of the game. Every time we had them pinned down in their 5m's, we came up in a jagged line and they poked their noses through every time. There was no grunt in our defence, no intimidation what so ever. We need to fix that, hopefully when Hannant comes back they can do it.

Hunt was rubbish, Wallace has got two plays in his arsenal, catch and pass or run himself. Neither of them work very well. Good to see Jack Reed had a good debut the few times he got the ball. Gagai was impressive too, that first return of his looked Billy Slater like, even the drop ball :p.

Nevcost

Juniors
3. Hoffman
2. Lockyer
1. Parker

If it wasn't for Hoffman I reckon we would have conceded at least another two tries so he deserves MOM in my opinion. I reckon besides Hoffman our defence in the backline was pittiful hopefully getting Hodges back will help rectify that problem although I think a couple more experienced players like Kemp and Glenn moving back to the centres is what we need.

Latest posts