What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 v Rabbits Game Day Thread

phantom eel

First Grade
We fell apart at the very end to lose, same as the Panthers match (even with Foran playing). Both games at home, and both without Mannah in the final prop rotation...

Not good enough imo, and we may not have made the finals anyway giving away matches where we were dominant like that.

Not sure what we'll serve up for the rest of the season now... only hope of finals is if 12 point penalty is somehow reduced, but can't see that happening.

phantom eel

First Grade
We need more set plays in their 20. Most of the time we don't really know what we are doing.

Gordon's chiming in its not effective
It's because we've been effectively playing with one half, and Foran hadn't even been able to train much to develop combinations etc.

Putting Gutherson there won't change anything, until Foran is back and the team has been able to train together to develop the chiming in plays and red zone attacking options.

Seasons over now, so no need or rushed changes. Just get Foran back on field and then get them enjoying their footy as the priority.

phantom eel

First Grade
Why did Norman put a nothing kick on the third tackle gifting them good field position? It was as dumb as Foran's similar kick in the Panther's game. They are elite halves on big money, surely they can count to 6? Or is the trainer sending out the message to kick early?Both of those shit kicks had a big impact on each game
Good point, we've given away those two late losses unnecessarily both times. There seems to be a flaw somewhere in believing we've already got a game wrapped up, instead of playing hard through the whole 80mins.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Really? Any incidents you have a problem with in particular that you feel were missed? I thought we were physical without crossing the line. Remember lads, this is rugby league - its a contact sport!

Thanks mate. I thought he lost the ball but in saying that we got penalised a few times for stripping/hands on the ball when in fact the Parramatta player lost it. These sorts of penalties have become a bit of a lottery! Ben Cummins didn't help by putting massive pressure on himself early on by getting involved far too much when it wasn't warranted!

With regards to the Adam Reynolds try, the rule states you are allowed to ground the ball for a try with your upper torso. It is a bullshit rule but by the letter of the law it should have been a try. Ben Cummins sent it up as a try but the bunker somehow conclusively determined that the ball came off his arm before he grounded it with his torso. I'm not so sure how they managed to see the ball come off his arm. They must have some bloody good cameras in that bunker.

I think you summed up the game pretty well. You guys were not bad at all. It was a game of football played to a very very high standard. If you guys were playing against the Broncos, Sharks or Cowboys I think you guys would have won. Its just that we were absolutely desperate as well after some of the most humiliating performances in the clubs recent history over the last few weeks.

To be fair, I think Norman does that quite often. While he does come up with moments of magic, he also comes up with a fair few shocking plays. I said it a few pages earlier in this thread that I think your better off letting Norman go to the Roosters and trying to get Ryan Matterson back.

By the way I also think that you guys made a mistake in not taking the 2 points at goal; both sides were tiring and taking the two would have not only extended your lead but ensured that you retained possession.

You guys had the better of the luck in regards to refereeing decisions. There was nothing in the Inglis elbow to the head and even if you did have a problem with it. It got penalised anyway so you can't really say that it was missed or that you got ripped off.

I already said before that the Semi thing could have been an 8 point try but probably wasn't because there was no intent there to collect him high; the guy was just coming across to make a covering tackle but accidentally clipped him. Once again, if you have a gripe with that, I could point to the fact that Beau Scott was penalised for tripping Adam Reynolds.

I generally like your posts, but are you for real???

Well done on the win...BUT:

How the hell was there "no intent"? Semi had already grounded the ball.

And since when has intent been the criteria? You CANNOT lead with the knees to the head of a player. Ever.

I also notice you failed to address that your mob was offside all night...

Kudos on the win, but despite the fact you lost the penalty count, the refs were clearly favouring you, because the big calls went against us.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Good point, we've given away those two late losses unnecessarily both times. There seems to be a flaw somewhere in believing we've already got a game wrapped up, instead of playing hard through the whole 80mins.

2 crucial moments cost us those 2 games...

1) the decision upstairs to hand Penrith the feed that lead to their second last try and gave them a sniff

2) Wicksy dropping the ball which lead to Souths second last try with less than 10 remaining.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Way too much negativity in this thread.
Players that were heroes last week are being bagged out relentlessly, when in effect, a few small simple errors and a couple of poor judgement calls cost us this game.
Souths were good. We were good. They were just that little bit gooder when it counted, and it showed on the scoreboard at the end.

I am furious about one thing though, and it's already been mentioned a few times, but that tackle on Edwards by Inglis was just a pure act of thuggery, and I'll be very disillusioned with this game if he doesn't get at least a week. It was a deliberate forearm to the head.

Suity

Agreed 100%

It finished four tries each, and the loss of Kenny Edwards was the difference. Paulo was doing nothing up the middle, meaning our only punch was on the edges. Ma'u had a blinder on his side, and without Edwards on the other side we lacked options and go-forward.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really? Any incidents you have a problem with in particular that you feel were missed? I thought we were physical without crossing the line. Remember lads, this is rugby league - its a contact sport!

How about every head high tackle that stopped the play and allowed Souths to reset their defensive line? The charge down for Reynolds' no-try followed one such cheap shot and slow play-the-ball, but there were plenty more.

souths_pride

Juniors
I generally like your posts, but are you for real???

Well done on the win...BUT:

How the hell was there "no intent"? Semi had already grounded the ball.

And since when has intent been the criteria? You CANNOT lead with the knees to the head of a player. Ever.

I also notice you failed to address that your mob was offside all night...

Kudos on the win, but despite the fact you lost the penalty count, the refs were clearly favouring you, because the big calls went against us.
There was no intent because Nathan Brown was already in motion before Semi had grounded it. The best way of looking at the incident is by watching it at full speed. One of the biggest problems that I have with the bunker/video ref is that they watch replay at slower and slower speeds which makes incidents and try decisions look a lot more dubious than they really are. As for sitting offside all night, I didn't think we were any more offside than you guys were. Speaking of offside, did you see the Issac De Gois charge down that was missed? He was a mile offside on that one!

souths_pride

Juniors
How about every head high tackle that stopped the play and allowed Souths to reset their defensive line? The charge down for Reynolds' no-try followed one such cheap shot and slow play-the-ball, but there were plenty more.
haha please! You guys were trying to milk penalties! They were just good, hard solid tackles! If the shoe had been on the other foot and you guys were penalised for those tackles then you would be going on that the game is going soft! In any case, it will be interesting to see what the match review committee comes up with when the charges are handed down after the round ends.

phantom eel

First Grade
2 crucial moments cost us those 2 games...

1) the decision upstairs to hand Penrith the feed that lead to their second last try and gave them a sniff

2) Wicksy dropping the ball which lead to Souths second last try with less than 10 remaining.
Fair points, but I don't blame the ref decision on costing us the Penrith game.... There were multiple moments of our own doing that directly gave these games away.

Even if the cap issues hadn't happened, we'd be struggling to make our presence felt in the finals if we can't play out the 80mins, bouncing back from any mistakes or deisions.

souths_pride

Juniors
Agreed 100%

It finished four tries each, and the loss of Kenny Edwards was the difference. Paulo was doing nothing up the middle, meaning our only punch was on the edges. Ma'u had a blinder on his side, and without Edwards on the other side we lacked options and go-forward.
Why he doesn't start I'll never know! I believe that you should always start with your best 13 on the paddock in order to get off to the best possible start. Kenny Edwards offers a lot more than Tepai Moeroa and playing him would take a lot of pressure off your front rowers and Semi!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
haha please! You guys were trying to milk penalties! They were just good, hard solid tackles! If the shoe had been on the other foot and you guys were penalised for those tackles then you would be going on that the game is going soft! In any case, it will be interesting to see what the match review committee comes up with when the charges are handed down after the round ends.

Dudes don't milk penalties unless they're hit in the head.

Joely01

Bench
Agreed 100%

Exactly, we seemed to run with a 2 man bench for a lot of the game as well

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why he doesn't start I'll never know! I believe that you should always start with your best 13 on the paddock in order to get off to the best possible start. Kenny Edwards offers a lot more than Tepai Moeroa and playing him would take a lot of pressure off your front rowers and Semi!

For the same reason Souths almost never start with all three Burgess boys. Because you don't want to bring your best forwards off all at the same time and have your B pack all on together.

And Edwards isn't effective over 80 minutes. When he comes on he makes heaps of carries.

strider

Post Whore
Watched the replay...

I am gob smacked Inglis got away with what he did. A blatant head slam using his forearm to the players head. We lost a key forward and play the rest of the game 1 player down.

The 2nd ref immediately told cummins, penalty and on report. Cummins then got instruction from the bunker to NOT put him on report. I guess the bunkers purpose is to recognise the protected species and ensure they get away with dirty shit.

souths_pride

Juniors
For the same reason Souths almost never start with all three Burgess boys. Because you don't want to bring your best forwards off all at the same time and have your B pack all on together.

And Edwards isn't effective over 80 minutes. When he comes on he makes heaps of carries.
I've posted about that extensively over the last month in the Souths forum. I personally believe that it is bad tactics in doing that because you are sacrificing the possibility of getting off to a dominant start in favor of something that might not eventuate. The way I would work it is that I would start with my two best front rowers and bring one of the off after 20 minutes; I would then bring him back on for the other starting front rower at the 30 minute mark. I think the benefits of getting your other starting front rower to play an extra 10 minutes far outweighs the risk of him making mistakes due to fatigue. Moreover, if you start your two best front rowers then there is a pretty decent chance that you could be playing the game down inside the opponents half for long periods meaning that the opposition will more than likely be even more fatigued from all the defending that they have to do.

souths_pride

Juniors
Watched the replay...

I am gob smacked Inglis got away with what he did. A blatant head slam using his forearm to the players head. We lost a key forward and play the rest of the game 1 player down.

The 2nd ref immediately told cummins, penalty and on report. Cummins then got instruction from the bunker to NOT put him on report. I guess the bunkers purpose is to recognise the protected species and ensure they get away with dirty shit.
What confused me was that I thought all bunker referrals are automatically put on report? In any case, I wouldn't worry too much, the match review committee still has the power to look at it and charge him if they think he has a case to answer.

strider

Post Whore
What confused me was that I thought all bunker referrals are automatically put on report? In any case, I wouldn't worry too much, the match review committee still has the power to look at it and charge him if they think he has a case to answer.

Only if the bunker calls a penalty the refs miss, it has to be reportable ... the onfield ref got it as a penalty AND called on report ... but they let the bunker over rule it ... the MRC wont do shit unless they can give him a really light grade cos gotta protect them queenslanders

Latest posts