What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 V Eels

DrStange

Juniors
This is my understanding too. Blayke extended to 2022, Jayden off contract end of 2020. If he's on the market for 2020 (or sooner) I'd be making a play hoping Sharks retain some of the cost for 2020 at least.
If we can free up some cash .. DWZ, Maloney etc Brailey is our number one target

Panfa

Juniors
If kenny plays penrith win i have no doubt guy brings aggression and runs from dummy half he should be starting hooker from now on.

TheFrog

Coach
If kenny plays penrith win i have no doubt guy brings aggression and runs from dummy half he should be starting hooker from now on.
Not allowed, he's only allowed to come off the bench because Maloney is suspended hence Luai is not available to cover the bench utility role. He won't even be allowed to come off the bench next week.

tripster

Juniors
Wow I thought the opposite.

He waffled all over the place. It wasn't helpful at all to say there are deep issues but without being willing to talk about about how to solve them or even what they are. Saying something like that only fuels rumour and discontent further. Why even say that there are deep issues at all? Who does that help? The only person it possibly helps is him, because it deflects from the problems being of his often creation.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
So did I, he was very strong I thought, the press kept on at him about what was going on and his comment of it’s internal and I’m not discussing it was excellent, now watch for the daily toilet roll to have bombshell exclusives over the next few days

I totally agree. We as 'plebs' I believe don't need to be told the ins and outs of a pussycat's bottom so to speak.

I do firmly believe that many of the issues involve the exposure and release of the sex tape in the off season.

This is something that I believe is pretty horrible. Why anyone would choose to flim themselves having sex and then share it with friends and peers. For the life of me I can't understand why. (but hey that's another story for another time)

The DT have this amazing talent of taking a nugget of truth and creating a world view from it.

I was pleased to see Ivan being so very firm. Hopefully the healing and sorting out is beginning or preparations are being made for it. When dealing with stuff like the club has over the off season a band aid will not work. Surgery is the only way.

Reactions: Bob

Luke Bowden

First Grade
He waffled all over the place. It wasn't helpful at all to say there are deep issues but without being willing to talk about about how to solve them or even what they are. Saying something like that only fuels rumour and discontent further. Why even say that there are deep issues at all? Who does that help? The only person it possibly helps is him, because it deflects from the problems being of his often creation.

And you think denying that there are any issues helps?

I personally haven’t been a fan of Ivan’s press conferences or Hooks for that matter.

But I liked this one. That was the most confident I’ve seen him talk. Left me feeling like they might have actually achieved something.

Bob

Juniors

I personally haven’t been a fan of Ivan’s press conferences or Hooks for that matter.

But I liked this one. That was the most confident I’ve seen him talk. Left me feeling like they might have actually achieved something.
Same here, handled the media well

tripster

Juniors

He should just spout the usual cliches. It would be far better. Say that the team had a great week at training, that he is optimistic about how we will perform. That we know we need to improve and that he expects we will lift. Talk about the rotation in positions. Any of that stuff. Pump up the team. We are down on confidence and showing a bit of belief in ourselves would do wonders.

However, to say that there are deep issues is to feed the media that is hungry for headlines. Tomorrow we will have tweets and headlines "Cleary admits deep issues", the players will read it, and their confidence will get even worse than it is now.

Coaching 101.

Why do you think Bennett almost never gives anything away at press conferences. It doesn't help anyone. Say what you need to say to the players. Say next to nothing to the media. It isn't Ivan's job to help sell papers (or internet advertising).

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Same here, handled the media well

The media (fox sports) are almost wetting themselves over Ivan's refusal to 'come clean about the ieeues at penrith'. Fox (especially set themselves up as judge and jury) and frankly I'm fairly over it.

Ivan has decided to take the heat on himself, rather than throwing players under the bus. I believe under the circumstances this is the right thing to do.

I mean what would be gained by comming out and bleeding all over the media.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
No offense, but I couldn’t give less of a shit about what Cleary does or doesn’t say at a press conference. His job is to produce a team that can play league. So far, he’s been an abject failure on that count

tripster

Juniors
The media (fox sports) are almost wetting themselves over Ivan's refusal to 'come clean about the ieeues at penrith'. Fox (especially set themselves up as judge and jury) and frankly I'm fairly over it.

It was an entirely predictable outcome, that will only serve to place further pressure on the club. See my post above.