What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 vs. Tigers Discussion + Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
Didn't see the game but great to see a couple of things in the highlights. Corey Oates making an impact with some strong running. Ben Hunt once again breaking the line - as they said - the most line breaks by any half back in the league. Vidot continuing to make metres.

I've seen the comments about Barba. Is he just being lazy, or is he just frustrated with the lack of quality ball coming from our halves. Griffin will have to decide which. If he's being lazy, its back to ISC. If he's not getting quality ball, then Griffin needs to fix it - and we all know what needs to be done.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
And I thought last weeks game wasn't worth commenting on...but great we got the points and gave some new blood out there. Someone commenting on Vidot being in everything, thought the same about Reeds strong effort.

With Barba, all you can say is he's playing well for the other side. Hoffman still in no mans land. Oates and Hunt played well. Glenn, McGuire strong.

Another scrappy all over the shop game against a team who actually played worse than we did but nearly pulled off a win.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
i was going to ask whether Barba is owed contract money cos his involvement is Boyd-like

right now i think he should be dropped and put hoffman in at #1 and give someone who passes the #6 jersey

lockyno1

Post Whore
i was going to ask whether Barba is owed contract money cos his involvement is Boyd-like

right now i think he should be dropped and put hoffman in at #1 and give someone who passes the #6 jersey

Hate the idea but would you consider swapping the two? Barba to 5/8th...at least he is forced to do something!

Dazzat

First Grade
Agreed. I called for Barba's sacking about three games into the season. But some on this forum assured me he wasn't the type of player that needs that type of discipline.

I would think as a former Daly M winner, if he's not getting the right type of ball, he should be able to talk this over with Hoffman and Hunt and get things right.

Let's hope that Hook break his habit of inertia and actually does something positive to get Barba more involved in the play.

lockyno1

Post Whore
The only thing I will say about Barba...Hoffman can't pass...Barba like every good fullback needs quick ball and space, it is the 5/8ths job to give him the ball and stop butchering overlaps.

user_nat

Coach
That could partially explain why he is poor in attack, but doesn't explain the complete lack of effort anywhere else on the field.

Dazzat

First Grade
Perhaps Barba and Hoffman aren't talking ... for obvious reasons. And this non-communication is coming through in the team's efforts. One of them has to go. Either Hoffman back to the wing or Barba back to ISC.

Blockade

Juniors
That could partially explain why he is poor in attack, but doesn't explain the complete lack of effort anywhere else on the field.

He is poor in attack because he has that burst of speed whether it's from his dodgy ankle or he has simply lost it. He knows that and it is affecting his confidence hence his limited involvement. He will be the dud buy of 2014 and won't be wearing Bronco colours in 2015 along with Kennedy, Hoffman, Hannant and Wallace.

Blockade

Juniors
He is poor in attack because he has lost that burst of speed whether it's from his dodgy ankle or he has simply lost it. He knows that and it is affecting his confidence hence his limited involvement. He will be the dud buy of 2014 and won't be wearing Bronco colours in 2015 along with Kennedy, Hoffman, Hannant and Wallace.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Hate the idea but would you consider swapping the two? Barba to 5/8th...at least he is forced to do something!

Yeah think you're on the money there. Barba needs to be thrown into the back line, even if it is just short term, where he can get his hands on the ball a bit more and make some breaks and build his confidence up. At the moment we have a fullback who's at best a 50/50 shot to catch a high ball under pressure and when he does secure one he can't wait to get rid of it.

Big Pete

Referee
Broncos bought themselves damaged goods. The Bulldogs fans warned us and we blew them off as jilted former fans. As it stands, Sam freakin Perrett is enjoying a better season than Ben. That speaks volumes.

It doesn't help that Griffin reckons the best way to address Barba's running issue is to bulk him up. All that work to realise something the Bulldogs recognised all the way back in 2010, he can't play in the frontline.

Daz, who would you replace Barba with? Are you going to shift Hoffman to fullback and blood a junior? Two birds one stone?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Barba's issues are much more than Hoffman simply not giving him good ball imo...

Scary me saying this but I wouldn't mind seeing Maranta have a go at fullback.

3. Hunt
2. Glenn
1. Maranta

lockyno1

Post Whore

That is the thing though, he was bought as an attacking weapon....he aint going to be an attacking weapon if Hoffman doesn't pass the ball to him. I will never expect Barba to be the best defender, he isn't that good in that area....however we would be a much better side if he touches the ball 2-3 times a set rather than once every 3 sets. I mean last week I counted FOUR sets 20m out from the line where he didn't touch the ball!:crazy:

Dazzat

First Grade
That is the thing though, he was bought as an attacking weapon....he aint going to be an attacking weapon if Hoffman doesn't pass the ball to him. I will never expect Barba to be the best defender, he isn't that good in that area....however we would be a much better side if he touches the ball 2-3 times a set rather than once every 3 sets. I mean last week I counted FOUR sets 20m out from the line where he didn't touch the ball!:crazy:

Yep ... that just isn't good enough. He needs to go to ISC.

Hopefully the plan is to send Hoffman back to fullback (not ideal, but its the best we have at this stage), and bring in a new No. 6. He may not be ready yet, but long term Darren Nichols seems the answer. He's older, more mature and has played against the big boys in the NSW Cup with success and overseas.

Let's fast track him Griffin! Get him on the bench next game.

benko

Juniors
I was at the game and have to say that Ben Hunt and Daniel Vidot deserve all of the points. Not sure what is wrong with Barba but most of the time he had his back to the tigers defence trying to get back into position. He looks slow or still carrying that injury a bit - it will def come out towards the end of the season he was carrying that injury still and that Griffin will be sacked or he will move into another role at the club. Tedesco signed with Raidars for 800K so it looks like 100% Milford is heading our way.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I was at the game and have to say that Ben Hunt and Daniel Vidot deserve all of the points. Not sure what is wrong with Barba but most of the time he had his back to the tigers defence trying to get back into position. He looks slow or still carrying that injury a bit - it will def come out towards the end of the season he was carrying that injury still and that Griffin will be sacked or he will move into another role at the club. Tedesco signed with Raidars for 800K so it looks like 100% Milford is heading our way.

Milford to Broncos was confirmed some time ago...

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/05/12/milford_to_join_broncos.html

benko

Juniors
Yes Milford was, but had a clause to get out of it till I think about round 13 - as did Josh Papalia sign with Eels and stayed in Canberra using this clause. Now Canberra have spent the cash they were chucking act Milford.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Scary me saying this but I wouldn't mind seeing Maranta have a go at fullback.

Maranta has actually played well this year, and more importantly he's having a dig. Barba isnt. I still think hoffmans a good fullback and he'd be my first pick there, but if for whatever reason hook still thinks he's a 5/8 then maranta or someone else should get the #1 until barba decides he wants to play footy again

That is the thing though, he was bought as an attacking weapon....he aint going to be an attacking weapon if Hoffman doesn't pass the ball to him.

it isnt just about hoffman though. he has the option to play both sides of the field and he also has the option to actually position himself in a place to get the ball. I suspect he hasnt healed from his injuries but he isnt helping his own cause either. he looks scared of getting tackled and is horrified of bombs

Yes Milford was, but had a clause to get out of it till I think about round 13 - as did Josh Papalia sign with Eels and stayed in Canberra using this clause. Now Canberra have spent the cash they were chucking act Milford.

milford came out a few weeks ago and stated he was still coming to the broncos, which is why the raiders threw the $$ at tedesco

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Yes Milford was, but had a clause to get out of it till I think about round 13

The article I posted from the Broncos website basically says that Milford won't be activating the get out clause. He is coming (and this was before the Raiders bought Tedesco).

"Canberra Raiders fullback Anthony Milford has informed the club he will be honouring the deal he made with the Brisbane Broncos and will depart at the end of the 2014 season. "

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/05/12/milford_to_join_broncos.html