What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

Dragsters

First Grade
Listened on Grandstand on way back from out of town...started diabolically but obviously got it on track.
Luke Lewis seemed to think our fragile ruck ‘D’ will be figured out by better teams.
Glad they got the win today for confidence (especially Lomaxs’ 6 from 6 & the halves combo), but the cockiness from Mehry will be unbearable.
Anyway, I’ll take the win.

Lewis is right.

It's been the major issue all season.

Now that we have the dispensation for JDB, the priority must be to recruit a proper defensive lock.

- Skilled defensive technique.

- Good lateral agility.

- High work rate.

- Ball playing skills a bonus but not essential.

Applications direct to Ian Millward, St. George/Illawarra Dragons.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Norman stars as Dragons snap losing streak
Local Sport
r0_0_4941_3184_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CONDUCTOR: Corey Norman made an impressive return from injury in the Dragons win over Canterbury on Monday afternoon. Picture: NRL Photos

ST GEORGE Illawarra have made a much-needed return to the winners' circle, with the return of Corey Norman inspiring a 36-12 win over Canterbury on Monday.

The Dragons conceded the first try just three minutes in, but were in control from the remainder of the contest, running in three unanswered tries by halftime.

They went on with it in the second, adding three more tries to snap a five-game losing streak and put themselves back on the edge of the top eight on for and against.

Norman scored a try and had a hand in another for Jonus Pearson in the first 40 and put halves partner Ben Hunt over 14 minutes into the second, a reminder of how telling his absence has been over the last month.

Hunt made it a double act with his four-pointer and a lofted cut-out ball for his side's first try to Mikaele Ravalawa, five days after churning out 80 minutes in the No. 9 for Queensland.

"I prepared very well and a lot of things just fell into place today," Norman said post-match.

"I tried to take a little bit of pressure off Benny. It's been five days [since Origin] and he had a helluva game at hooker [did] plenty of defence.

"We just like playing football, we're eyes-up footballers. We don't stick to one edge we like to roam and I thought we were good today.

"We were on each others' side a lot and just played eyes up football. I thought all the Origin boys that stepped up today and brought a lot today and showed a lot of leadership.

"We've had a few injuries which isn't good, Origin is going to be tough as well, but if we can put out best foot forward and get through this period well, we'll get James Graham and Lafai back.

"We've just got to really knuckle down and get some wins."

It came after a rough start, with Tariq Sims spilling the ball in the opening set, allowing Raymond Faitala-Mariner to barge across next to the posts a set later. Nick Meaney converted for a 6-0 lead after just three minutes.

The Dragons hit back quickly when Ravalawa crossed off a lofted ball from Hunt, with Zac Lomax adding the extras to lock the scores 10 minutes in.

The went ahead when Norman put Ravalawa away and backed up on the inside to score under the posts and take a 12-6 lead.

The lead went out to 12 when Jonus Pearson crossed out wide, again off quality lead-up work from Norman, Lomax's conversion giving the Dragons a 12-point cushion.

The Dragons dodged a bullet five minutes before the break, with Meaney crossing on the back of a block play that was ultimately deemed illegal by the bunker.

It was the Dogs last chance at making a match of it, with Hunt's try 13 minutes after the resumption effectively putting the result to bed.

Zac Lomax grabbed a try seven minutes later off a rare grubber from a runaway Jacob Host, taking his personal tally to 14 for the match.

Keiran Foran scored a consolation try nine minutes from time but most Dogs fans had already headed for the exits.

Ravalawa provided a spectacular finish for his second try six minutes from time, with Lomax completing a faultless afternoon off the tee in the 24-point victory.

After a six-week run of outs, coach Paul McGregor said it was a step in the right direction.

"It wasn't a complete performance but it was an improvement on what we've done in the last month," McGregor said.

"I thought the timing of the [bye] helped to reset and press on. Sometimes when you're at the coalface you over-think a little bit.

"When you get away you have a good time to reflect and we'd just got away from what was working really well for us in the past. We got back to it a little bit today."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6209351/norman-the-star-as-dragons-snap-streak/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2019: Week away works wonders for Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WHAT MATTERS: Dragons coach Paul McGregor says he's more focused on his side's next performance than their position on the ladder. Picture: NRL Photos

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor admits he "almost fell over" when told his side was only outside the top eight on for and against after their win over Canterbury on Monday.

It's not surprising after five straight losses, but differential remains all there is between the 11th placed Dragons and the Eels in eighth.

With Corey Norman returning from injury, and a number of big guns set to follow, McGregor said there's now plenty to be optimistic about.

"It wasn't a complete performance but it was an improvement on what we've done in the last month," McGregor said.

"I thought the timing of the [bye] helped to reset and press on. Sometimes when you're at the coalface you over-think a little bit.

"When you get away you have a good time to reflect and we'd just got away from what was working really well for us in the past.

"We got back to it a little bit today."

It puts them within striking distance of the eight, but McGregor said it hasn't been his focus.

"I haven't looked at the ladder, I've just looked week to week and [now] we're on the same points as eighth position," he said.

"For me it's just about focusing on our process week to week, not the ladder. Wins push you up the ladder anyway, losses push you down.

"I'd rather just keep a real clear focus on what we need to improve on and stay at the more than anything else.

"The competition's tight, anyone can beat anyone on their day. Put a couple of wins together and you can get up the ladder pretty quick."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6210067/week-away-works-wonders/?cs=3713#

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons defeat desperate Dogs
  • Local Sport
    r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Mikaele Ravalawa (right) of the Dragons celebrates his try during the Round 13 NRL match between the Bulldogs and the Dragons at ANZ Stadium, Monday, June 10, 2019. Picture AAP Image/Dean Lewins

• The Dragons finally ended a five-game losing streak today putting it to the Bulldogs 36-12 and getting them back on track while the Bulldogs have now won just three matches this year and sit at last place on the ladder- both sides were looking to turn their seasons around with a victory today.

The Dragons had lost six of their past seven appearances at ANZ stadium, a stat they have now also turned around and climb to 10th place ahead of a crucial round 14 showdown with Manly at Lottoland.

Momentum wasnt with the men in the Red V but sitting in 13th place on the ladder the Dragons' Origin trio of Paul Vaughan, Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell all backed up and provided the go forward for the clash with the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.

r0_3_1200_678_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ben Hunt of the Dragons is tackled by Raymond Faitala and Kieran Foran of the Bulldogs during the Round 13 NRL match at ANZ Stadium .Picture AAP Image/Dean Lewins

Coach McGregor said the Origin players had been given a three-day break to freshen up after the representative clash and returned to training on Sunday ready to prepare for today's tussle with the Dogs.

In the key matchups, Dragons fans also breathed a sigh of relief knowing star playmaker Corey Norman was back after he suffered a broken cheekbone in Round 8.

It didn't start well with the Dragons producing a shocking first set with the ball, before backing it up with a lacklustre defensive effort to allow Raymond Faitala-Mariner to barge over for the first try of the game after 2 minutes.

Fans were in shock but the tide rapidly turned and Norman and Hunt made all the difference running the Dragons through the heavy traffic.

Norman hadn't played for six weeks since suffering that cheekbone injury but quickly found his groove to score a try in the 13th minute and his partnership with Ben Hunt in the halves gave the Dragons complete control after the half time break with Norman also putting his halfback across the line in the 54th minute to set up a match-winning lead.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6209618/st-george-illawarra-get-back-to-winning/?cs=1633

Como Connection

First Grade
rumour has it pearson is the fastest guy out there so lets give the boy a chance to tie down that wing .......nice to have a bit of speed in the backline now all we need is for aitken to pull a hami and give someone like saab or periera a run at centre even field might be worth a go there
Rava eventually could be a centre, seems to have ball sense.
CC

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Well done boys, that's the way Possm likes it. Every player did their job and played well. It seems we have finally found our wingers and Lomax was absolutely great at right centre. Norman and Hunt performed well. The side looks so much better with Norman on the field.

With 3 backing up from SOO, I would have to say that although they got off to a shaky start, the boys did very well today.

Peirera is far superior to Ravalawa.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
My plan worked - I decided I wasn't going to watch and it paid dividends.
If only we didn't play C*nterbury every week, hey?
Btw, Ben Ikin was just banging on about Tariq having a case to answer for his tackle on Cogger. What an irritating git he truly is. No contact at all with the head by Tariq.
I agree..its a wonder Alexander and Smith didn't jump on the band wagon during commentery..they usually death ride us every opportunity they get

giboz71

First Grade
AND FAR SLOWER, SLOWER, SLOWER

That’s the thing.

Even though we had Aitken and Rava out there who you can argue are inferior to Lafai and Jordan, they do have genuine pace. Not express but given the slugs we have had in our backline the last few years, it was nice to see some speed out there.

With Hunt and Norman on song, finally our back 5 could threaten.

Pearson’s try in particular was an excellent backline try.

kit66

Bench
I haven't seen the whole game yet but saw enough to notice we've still got a very big mountain to climb.
Letting the leading Wooden Spoon contenders run through us for over 1500 metres is a worry. Our use of the bench especially with 3 SOO players out there was again a mystery only McGregor understands.
I saw lot's of holes and opportunities in our defence that a better team than the Dogs could have easily exploited.
Good to break the loss cycle but a permanent spot in the Top 8 is still a long way off for us, if we can get there at all.

hazzbeen

Bench
I haven't seen the whole game yet but saw enough to notice we've still got a very big mountain to climb.
Letting the leading Wooden Spoon contenders run through us for over 1500 metres is a worry. Our use of the bench especially with 3 SOO players out there was again a mystery only McGregor understands.
I saw lot's of holes and opportunities in our defence that a better team than the Dogs could have easily exploited.
Good to break the loss cycle but a permanent spot in the Top 8 is still a long way off for us, if we can get there at all.
Yea it was a win , but let's not get too excited , against a side that is playing worst than us .... Long long way to go ....

Old Timer

Coach
Nice to see real perspective as to what actually happened and what lies ahead.
The Dogs score an average of 12.6 points a game so hardly a high barrier to overcome but even then we had the worst start to a game ever and the start of the 2nd half barely better.
You have to wonder what coach actually says to them as they looked shell shocked so maybe he finally said perform or be dropped and the players shat themselves.

Latest posts