What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 v Dogs

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
There is only one.
The chosen one.
The favourite one.

The mighty EA!!!
He's an international you know, and only a bees #$%@ away from SOO.

There is no other. Just ask McGregor.

DSlayer,
Absolutely brilliant! Only sad that I didn't think of Euan myself. A perfect fit - as one of Mary's special boys he fits the bill perfectly. No wonder Mary has been picking him all these years. It certainly hasn't been to shore up the left side defence!

With at least another suitable captain on board I am now prepared to tip our boys to finish all over the Bulldogs. Dragons by 2 unless the home side sneaks Lewis and his towering bombs back in which might give them a 40 point advantage.

TruSaint

Referee
TruSaint, I am sure that you have the team's best interest at heart. But have you considered the fact that we are already missing one of our 3 captains, James Graham? If you rest Tyson, another of our captains, we will be down to a solitary captain. How would McInness cope? How would the team cope? What will constitute the pre-match team talk if there is no need to work out which captain will lead the team out? No, it is asking too much of mere mortals.

If you are intent on resting our SoO stars please consider captaincy substitutes - Jeremy Lattimore? He can apparently cheer the boys up with a good joke. Cory Norman? He has been known to mix in high society circles. Who else? Tariq? Korbin? No the Sims boys would approach the captaincy with too much passion.

I await your nominations with interest.

Fair question and normally I would agree that we are very short on troops, and would risk 1 or maybe two.

However, why the hell do we have 3 Captains?
Friz is a beast but no Captain.

I have also seen what our selection process has done to our seasons past. Granted they have been on the back of excellent starts, whereas this year we will be depending on a miracle.

We are facing one of the weakest Dogs outfits I can recall. Now, we are not far behind, but I would rather have a SOO squad filled team v Manly, fully fit, without risking any more injury to the 3 that played. I think this season is over anyway.

I rate Cam more than most, and if we are to get out of this hole, he can lead the team.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Fair question and normally I would agree that we are very short on troops, and would risk 1 or maybe two.

I have also seen what our selection process has done to our seasons past. Granted they have been on the back of excellent starts, whereas this year we will be depending on a miracle.

We are facing one of the weakest Dogs outfits I can recall. Now, we are not far behind, but I would rather have a SOO squad filled team v Manly, fully fit, without risking any more injury to the 3 that played. I think this season is over anyway.

I rate Cam more than most, and if we are to get out of this hole, he can lead the team.

My sincere apologies to you, Tru. My post was meant to be poking fun at Mary's inane policy of selecting three captains. As I recall the initial move by coaches to choose two captains was a result of the likelihood of one captain spending time on the bench. Mary is the first as far as I know to adopt this three captain strategy. And why? McInnes is playing 80 minutes a game so him being benched is not an issue. I think it is just another aspect of being mates with the players and an inability to make tough decisions. I reckon it is as misguided as playing his No17 for a 5 minute cameo from the bench. At least he seems to have given up on that one in recent weeks.

So you were not meant to take me seriously. I am just looking at ways to have a bit of fun because I am struggling to cope with the circus Mary and his supporters on the Board have inflicted on their fans.

TruSaint

Referee
My sincere apologies to you, Tru. My post was meant to be poking fun at Mary's inane policy of selecting three captains. As I recall the initial move by coaches to choose two captains was a result of the likelihood of one captain spending time on the bench. Mary is the first as far as I know to adopt this three captain strategy. And why? McInnes is playing 80 minutes a game so him being benched is not an issue. I think it is just another aspect of being mates with the players and an inability to make tough decisions. I reckon it is as misguided as playing his No17 for a 5 minute cameo from the bench. At least he seems to have given up on that one in recent weeks.

So you were not meant to take me seriously. I am just looking at ways to have a bit of fun because I am struggling to cope with the circus Mary and his supporters on the Board have inflicted on their fans.

LOL,

Mate no need whatsoever to apologise.
I felt a need to reply, as like you, Im so pissed off at the minute, I had nothing better to do...

All good friend.

Appreciate the reply.

hazzbeen

Bench
Play all 3.
Our season is on the line. Unless they are injured then they should be selected, we need our best possible team to attempt to stop this slide.
No point resting players for later in the year if there is no later.
Last year should have rested them, this year we don't have that luxury I'm afraid.
Its over Crush we got nothing , might as well rest half the team blood some young blokes ... But it won't happen ....

TruSaint

Referee
Play all 3.
Our season is on the line. Unless they are injured then they should be selected, we need our best possible team to attempt to stop this slide.
Last year should have rested them, this year we don't have that luxury I'm afraid.

There is an argument to what you say crush.
I admire your optimism. Not being sarcastic either.

For me, the season ended when Mary was extended. End of. Granted there is a way to go,, and good teams can bounce back and make the 8. I look at our wins, whom we have beaten ( and how ), whom we have lost to, our draw, our squad and cant see how the hell we get out of this mess.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Very well said, TruSaint.
Yes, Cam does need to lead from the pack.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Play all 3.

Crush, whilst I understand where you are coming from, the simple fact is that its not just injury from SOO, its also the fatigue factor. Having our best team on the park is the ultimate, however, what happens after say 60 mins when Hunt is exhausted, Friz cops another head knock (in fact i think he's very doubtful anyway) and Vaughan can get any monentum or get back into the defense line. Unless we are leading by plenty, and I mean plenty, they would simply become passengers, turnstiles and easy to run around. Its also when errirs come into it as well. We would get smashed and we would probably get beaten by plenty. Then back them up 5 days later and then they go straight into Origin camp.
This is a danger game in more ways than one but our season isnt dangling by a thread, that thread snapped about 2 rounds ago.
Giving the young guys a go against a fairly weak Dogs team or intro then toplay then against the well oiled machine that is Melb? If they cant natch it afainst the Dogs then fhey aren't worth keeping on after this year.

Dragsters

First Grade
It is a 5 day turn around between origin and Monday's game against Canterbury. Then we have another 6 days until the next game. The only reason any origin players should be missing, is if they are injured.

Plus they had a 9 day break leading into origin 1.

Freddy's right with his "go back and play well for your club" attitude.

We have the best draw with the 5 day break.

We don't have the luxury of resting players atm.

They all should play if not injured.

100%...

getsmarty

Immortal
Throwback Thursday: Round 13 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 6 Jun 2019, 12:25 PM

There have been plenty of thrilling and tense encounters between the Dragons and the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs over the years. Here are three of the best matches between the two rivals.

St George Illawarra Dragons 23 v Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 22
Qualifying final. September 8th, 2001, Sydney Showground.

Despite trailing at half-time the Dragons stormed home in the final period to win by one point against the heavily-favoured Bulldogs side.

After losing just six games all season, the second-placed Bulldogs were poised to walk over the seventh-placed Dragons and into week two of the finals. But a Matt Cooper double and a perfect day at the kicking tee from Mark Riddell combined for a stunning upset victory at Sydney Showground.

New recruit Willie Peters slotted the winning field goal to send the Dragons deep into the finals in just his first season with the Red V.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 16 v St George Illawarra Dragons 18
Round 14. June 11th, 2018. ANZ Stadium.

The Dragons grabbed top position on the ladder as a result of this gritty victory but not before having to subdue a determined Bulldogs comeback.

Two tries in the opening 10 minutes from Euan Aitken and Nene Macdonald suggested the Dragons would run away with the result but the Bulldogs were quick to quell their momentum with a four-pointer in reply. Tariq Sims then muscled his way over before the half-time hooter to help the Dragons claim a 14-6 lead at the break.

The Bulldogs replicated the feats of the Dragons in the opening exchanges of the second period, running in two quick tries to jump to a 16-14 lead.

The difference came off the boot of Gareth Widdop who slotted two penalties to edge the Dragons in front. The final 10 minutes saw the Bulldogs run themselves ragged in an attempt to sneak a victory but the Dragons would hold on.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 11 v St George Illawarra Dragons 10
Qualifying final. September 12th, 2015. ANZ Stadium.

It took 84 minutes of action before a winner could be determined in this up and down finals thriller. After finishing in eighth place on the ladder, the Dragons had a tough task in toppling the fifth-placed Bulldogs outfit.

The first half was the definition of an arm wrestle with the Bulldogs claiming the only points of the opening 40 minutes with a 6-point lead at the break. It took until the 68th minute before the Dragons finally broke the deadlock when Eto Nabuli sliced over.

With the scores level at 6-all, a Gareth Widdop penalty conversion put the Dragons in front at the 74th minute before Bulldogs forward Shaun Lane scored with three minutes remaining. But on the stroke of full-time, the Dragons were awarded a penalty and Widdop made no mistake of sending the match into extra time.

Unfortunately for the Dragons contingent, it was Bulldogs who would leave happy; a Josh Reynolds field goal knocking the Dragons out of the finals race.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/06/throwback-thursday-round-13-v-bulldogs/

Gareth67

First Grade
Well what can one say about our prospects in this match ? The last game of the weekends round , with a 4 pm kick-off against a young Bulldogs side that is improving as we are becoming deproving (?) And to add to our woes our blokes are coached by the games one and only maestro. My tip - you really don’t want to know it . :slight_frown:

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
simsbanner.jpg

DRAGONS

Stat Attack: Round 13 v Bulldogs
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 7 Jun 2019, 08:47 AM

The St George Illawarra Dragons come up against the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Monday. Here's a rundown of all the stats you need to know before the game.

Over 37 matches between the two sides, the Bulldogs have won 24 while the Dragons have claimed 13. The Bulldogs' winning edge coming off the back of 11 wins in 12 meetings between 2012 and 2017.

However, the Dragons have turned the tide recently winning two of the past three matches as they prepare for their second encounter this season.

A tumultuous year has the Bulldogs languishing in last place on the NRL Telstra Premiership ladder, with the added insult of owning both the worst defence and attack in the competition.

The Dragons aren't far behind their opponents defensively, conceding the third- most points competition-wide this year.

In attack, the Dragons gain some ground on the Bulldogs, scoring 35 more points this season and ranking fifth best in the league for tackle busts (305). The Bulldogs also rank last in this metric (228 tackle breaks).

Despite their lowly statistics, the Bulldogs rank first competition-wide in competition rate with a season average of 80 per cent. They also rank second in the league for offloads with two of the top three best second phase players in the competition. Corey Harawira-Naera and Kerrod Hollond

Danger man – Will Hopoate

Former State of Origin representative Will Hopoate burst onto the scene in 2010. With a career 38 tries next to his name across 135 appearances, Hopoate is no stranger to finding the try-line.

'Hoppa' has racked up four try assists this season and scored one himself in Round 9 against the Newcastle Knights. With 21 tackles breaks so far this season as well as an average of 140 running metres per game, Hopoate is one of the most lethal outside backs with the ball in hand.

Key matchups
Tariq Sims v Raymond Faitala-Mariner

With both sides missing key figures in the forward pack through Origin commitments, Tariq Sims and Raymond Faitala-Mariner will hope to fill the void.

Sims provides plenty of muscle and intimidation out on the field for the Dragons, playing every game this year and collecting two line breaks, one line break assist, and 315 tackles at 89.7 per cent efficiency.

While Faitala-Mariner has played just three games this season after suffering a knee injury, he will be required to step up considering Dylan Napa is no certainty to back up from State of Origin I.

In his three games, Faitala-Mariner has one try assist, three offloads, 103 tackles at 90.7 per cent efficiency and 83 metres per game.

Corey Norman v Kieran Foran

Corey Norman returns from injury with the task of ending a Dragons' losing streak and outshining fearless campaigner Kieran Foran.

Foran has had a troubled run with injuries keeping him away from the field. However since returning in Round 9 this year, Foran has been produced several impressive displays.

In the four games since returning, Foran has three try assists, four tackle busts, two dropouts forced and averaged 92 metres per game.

While in the eight games before Norman was injured, the talented half had six try assists, six line break assists, three forced dropouts and an averaged 94.8 metres per game.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/06/07/stat-attack-round-13-v-bulldogs/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2019: Hunt to head into Bulldogs clash on Origin high
Dragons Den
r0_0_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MIDDLE MAN: Maroons hooker Ben Hunt. Picture: NRL Photos

This time last year Dragons half Ben Hunt was the most maligned player in the game, wearing the brunt of criticism for Queensland's game-one defeat.

It didn't abate through the remainder of the series - or at club level - but he'll head into Monday's clash with Canterbury on a high after a standout 80-minute effort in the Maroons No. 9 on Wednesday.

In a position many consider his best position at rep level, Hunt produced a first-half 40-20 and had a number of class touches in his side's second-half run.

He also produced a game-high 53 tackles, removing any doubt over whether he could go the distance in the middle of the park.

A five-day spell is likely to see him back-up for the Dragons against the Dogs on Monday after coming through the match unscathed.

Coach Kevin Walters said he gave the 29-year-old some clear instructions at break with his side down 8-0.

"[I said] just run the ball Ben, that's what you're there for mate," Walters said.

"He got through the 80 minutes magnificently. Everyone knows the belief I have in Ben Hunt. I Iove him as football player, he's tough, rugged skillful.

"I thought he showed his real class in that second half in some of the defensive plays that he pulled off.

"He also got a bit more active in the game. We need to get him better in that area for game two.

"His second 40 needs to be his first 40. That'll put us in a much better place."

Dragons coach Paul McGregor named Hunt on an extended bench on Tuesday, with Jai Field listed in the No. 7. He'll make way if Hunt proves fit but is likely to shift to the interchange.

Blues pair Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell also came through injury-free. Vaughan will almost certainly back-up after playing 41 minutes in two stints Blues coach Brad Fittler labeled outstanding.

Frizell played an uncharacteristically low 39 minutes after his preparation was limited by a concussion suffered the Dragons round-12 loss to Cronulla.

It continued an injury-riddled year for Frizell, who missed four matches after suffering a lacerated testicle in round one. It could see him rested from Monday's clash.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...d-into-bulldogs-clash-on-origin-high/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Turnaround not far off: Latimore
Dragons Den
r0_0_3487_2763_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

KEEPING FAITH: Dragons veteran Jeremy Latimore has seen enough in his 11-year career to know his side can turn their season around. Picture: NRL Photos

IN 11 NRL seasons with five different clubs, there's few things Dragons prop Jeremy Latimore hasn't experienced.

It's what leaves him confident the Dragons can emerge from a five-game slump against Canterbury on Monday.

Currently 13th on the ladder, a loss to the last-placed Bulldogs would see their top-eight climb become perilously steep, but Latimore knows how quickly things can change.

"I've been around long enough to know it only takes a couple of wins to turn your season around," Latimore said.

"There was a point last year where no one gave us a hope, then we jagged a win against the Knights [in round 26] and came out a week later and put 50 on Brisbane.

"The week before they were going to go through and play the grand final according to all the experts. They don't need to be pretty wins, you just have to tough it out and things start happening.

"It's a funny game with the football gods and how the ball starts bouncing for you. You've just got to give yourself a chance by defending well and doing the simple things right which we're not at the moment."

That has been the focus for the Dragons on a merciful two-week spell with the bye which Latimore admits "couldn't come quick enough."

"We've obviously got a couple of boys carrying injuries and we haven't been playing that well so get away refresh was really good," he said.

"We've looked at a few things and hopefully we can go out there and start to build our season again because there's still a lot of footy to be played.

"It's not all doom and gloom, we just need to get a bit of confidence back in what we're doing because we're probably lacking that at the moment.

"As a group you don't forget how to play football, we just need to hold onto the footy and defend a bit better. They're two easy fixes, it's just attitude."

Latimore has been named to return from a knee injury that's hampered the first half of his season and saw him feature on a lengthy injury list.

Corey Norman will return from a fractured cheekbone this week, but James Graham, Tim Lafai and Gareth Widdop will remain on it for a while longer.

Latimore said they promise to provide a huge boost when they return if the Dragons can stay in the finals race long enough.

"We've had a lot of changes throughout the year with injuries to key players and things like that but it's how you deal with it," Latimore said.

"We haven't handled it that well but we've just got to get on with it. We get Corey back this week which is massive for this team.

"The Bulldogs aren't going to be easy, there's been a lot said about them the last few weeks as well. It's a key part of their season so there's pressure on them to.

"We've just got to dumb everything down and play a really simple style of footy. If we do that we'll give ourselves a chance."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6203799/turnaround-not-far-away-latimore/?cs=3713

Como Connection

First Grade
Turnaround not far off: Latimore
Dragons Den
r0_0_3487_2763_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

KEEPING FAITH: Dragons veteran Jeremy Latimore has seen enough in his 11-year career to know his side can turn their season around. Picture: NRL Photos

IN 11 NRL seasons with five different clubs, there's few things Dragons prop Jeremy Latimore hasn't experienced.

It's what leaves him confident the Dragons can emerge from a five-game slump against Canterbury on Monday.

Currently 13th on the ladder, a loss to the last-placed Bulldogs would see their top-eight climb become perilously steep, but Latimore knows how quickly things can change.

"I've been around long enough to know it only takes a couple of wins to turn your season around," Latimore said.

"There was a point last year where no one gave us a hope, then we jagged a win against the Knights [in round 26] and came out a week later and put 50 on Brisbane.

"The week before they were going to go through and play the grand final according to all the experts. They don't need to be pretty wins, you just have to tough it out and things start happening.

"It's a funny game with the football gods and how the ball starts bouncing for you. You've just got to give yourself a chance by defending well and doing the simple things right which we're not at the moment."

That has been the focus for the Dragons on a merciful two-week spell with the bye which Latimore admits "couldn't come quick enough."

"We've obviously got a couple of boys carrying injuries and we haven't been playing that well so get away refresh was really good," he said.

"We've looked at a few things and hopefully we can go out there and start to build our season again because there's still a lot of footy to be played.

"It's not all doom and gloom, we just need to get a bit of confidence back in what we're doing because we're probably lacking that at the moment.

"As a group you don't forget how to play football, we just need to hold onto the footy and defend a bit better. They're two easy fixes, it's just attitude."

Latimore has been named to return from a knee injury that's hampered the first half of his season and saw him feature on a lengthy injury list.

Corey Norman will return from a fractured cheekbone this week, but James Graham, Tim Lafai and Gareth Widdop will remain on it for a while longer.

Latimore said they promise to provide a huge boost when they return if the Dragons can stay in the finals race long enough.

"We've had a lot of changes throughout the year with injuries to key players and things like that but it's how you deal with it," Latimore said.

"We haven't handled it that well but we've just got to get on with it. We get Corey back this week which is massive for this team.

"The Bulldogs aren't going to be easy, there's been a lot said about them the last few weeks as well. It's a key part of their season so there's pressure on them to.

"We've just got to dumb everything down and play a really simple style of footy. If we do that we'll give ourselves a chance."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/6203799/turnaround-not-far-away-latimore/?cs=3713
Therefore one out football again.
What a good idea.
CC

Well what can one say about our prospects in this match ? The last game of the weekends round on with a 4 pm kick-off against a young Bulldogs side that is improving as we are becoming deproving (?) And to add to our woes our blokes are coached by the games one and only maestro. My tip - you really don’t want to know it . :slight_frown:
It seems to me that the Dragons and Bulldogs are in an epic race to garner the wooden spoon, and of course all the prestige that title offers.