What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 v Silvertails

Iamback

Coach
According to our website he is sitting at 88.7%
Alamonti is at 84.1%.

Almonti is defending on a side which has been relativley stable all year.

He has luai inside him who is a renowned great defender as is too outside him.

Tago on the othwer hand has turuva whose been avg in defence and the halfs have shifted all year and none are nath in defemce. Throw in martin has had a slow start to the year..

Centre is the hardest place on the park to defend in terms of decision making. As i said cole got carved up there in nsw cup.

As youve said yourself casey mclean isnt ready. Jesse is a winger. Taylan cant play.

So you pin all your hopes on a rookie in cole at centre who was not good there at a way lower standard.

The issues really aremt dowm to one man. Its the structures are just a bit out.

Ive watched the tries they scored on tagos side closely and alamontis and its been the same story all year.. playing to middle heavy and just not readjusting and numbering up quick enough and its leading to bad reads or players jamming and just no unison.

Wont assess every try because its the same story over and over again but their first try-
Garners marked up on jurbo doesn't slide hard enough
Cole marked up on ben turbo and doesn't slide quick enough at all even the the block play is obvious
Tago and turuva left with a 3 on 2.. brooks and there centre are renowned speedsters.. so very hard spot to defend. Was to much room just to show them the sideline.. tago jammed uo and got no one and turuva hung back.

Really you could blame all 4 players and the players inside garner should be heaviky blamed.

But instead people just want to hammer tago.

Yes im not arguing hes down on form and confidence..

But if you actually look at a lot of the tries this year its been the same story over and over. We just arent numbering up well.

It was the same with the try on Alamontis side..they had numbers he didmt know what to do and got caught in absolute no mans land.

The issues are stemming from the inside and playing middle heavy with a very compressed defence.

Like i said maybe 4 weeks ago i think its very fixable and i dont really see one player as the issue. Its not a Tago issue..its a team issue.

Fox sports must have different numbers.

Alamoti has played both sides too, Against the Dogs May/Turuva were the left side

Alamoti was defending next to Cole when Nathan went off.

To'o was Tago's winger to start the year, Martin might of started the year slow but we has played more games than Sorro has.

So Tago has had his turn with To'o and played all but last week with Martin as his only 2nd rower. As opposed to the left that has had a few now

You missed a huge part to the Eagles 1st try. 20 out Tago rushes out to put a hit on Brooks.

Brooks passes and a simple 2 on 1 on Turuva. That try isn't scored if Tago holds his line.

That must be the 2nd try you mean even still he was in position to atleast attempt a tackle. Talau's last try again he was in no mans land

So the one constant on that side is him. Yes there has been 3 different halves inside him but the left is the same and are having less tries go in.

Cole may not be the answer. A mid season signing would be nice, Someone that stays in the line and holds the ball. Gives away less penalties than games played too.

Just do the basics and they are better atm

chrisD

Coach
FMD you ppl going on about Tago, same people who didn't understand Naden and Stain's defence was f**ked and unfixable.

Whino

Bench

Fox and NRL always have different stats.
Usually discrepancies around tackles missed and made. It is all to do with each sides differing interpretation of how a player commits to a tackle.

Girds89

Bench

Alamoti has played both sides too, Against the Dogs May/Turuva were the left side

Alamoti was defending next to Cole when Nathan went off.

To'o was Tago's winger to start the year, Martin might of started the year slow but we has played more games than Sorro has.

So Tago has had his turn with To'o and played all but last week with Martin as his only 2nd rower. As opposed to the left that has had a few now

You missed a huge part to the Eagles 1st try. 20 out Tago rushes out to put a hit on Brooks.

Brooks passes and a simple 2 on 1 on Turuva. That try isn't scored if Tago holds his line.

That must be the 2nd try you mean even still he was in position to atleast attempt a tackle. Talau's last try again he was in no mans land

So the one constant on that side is him. Yes there has been 3 different halves inside him but the left is the same and are having less tries go in.

Cole may not be the answer. A mid season signing would be nice, Someone that stays in the line and holds the ball. Gives away less penalties than games played too.

Just do the basics and they are better atm

Nope its the first try everyone is marked one in cos we are short.. he never even got to brooks before he passed the ball..

As i said garner is on jake. Cole is on ben turbo and brooks is sweeping out the back at speed with koula and toula on tago and turuva.

Brooks is way quicker then cole and cole was flat footed on ben so he was never going to slide and make up the distance.

Turuva is lined up on there centre and they had clear numbers right from the time it was picked up at dummy half. They had one extra and they played it perfectly.

Same as the Alamonti one. Just had clear numbers. And the same thing happened in both tries.

Both centres jammed up and got no one and the wingers stayed back..

Its the same issues on both sides all year.

Not enough communication betwen inside men and then the winger and centre.

If theyre gunna jam they both need to if theyre going to slide and try make up for the overlap they both need to..

Its just not happening at the moment and like i keep saying the majority of our tries this year have just been from the same sort of way. Overlaps from not numbering up properly.

Its easy to just blame tago and Alamonti but i think any time you arent numbering up properly the problem comes from the inside or blokes not sliding hard enough.

Tago has shown his qualities as has alamonti..they are both struggling in defence atm but they are the best options we have and the focus needs to be on holding the team accountable.

That first try tago shouldnt of jammed up but manly wouldve had to seriously bomb it for them not to score if they hung back anyway.

Tago has made plenty of good one on one tackles this year. Its when we are stretched that the defensive issues arise on both sides.

Chucking cole at centre when theres been clear issues on the edges all year is a recipe for disaster..

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
According to our website he is sitting at 88.7%
Alamonti is at 84.1%.

Almonti is defending on a side which has been relativley stable all year.

He has luai inside him who is a renowned great defender as is too outside him.

Tago on the othwer hand has turuva whose been avg in defence and the halfs have shifted all year and none are nath in defemce. Throw in martin has had a slow start to the year..

Centre is the hardest place on the park to defend in terms of decision making. As i said cole got carved up there in nsw cup.

As youve said yourself casey mclean isnt ready. Jesse is a winger. Taylan cant play.

So you pin all your hopes on a rookie in cole at centre who was not good there at a way lower standard.

The issues really aremt dowm to one man. Its the structures are just a bit out.

Ive watched the tries they scored on tagos side closely and alamontis and its been the same story all year.. playing to middle heavy and just not readjusting and numbering up quick enough and its leading to bad reads or players jamming and just no unison.

Wont assess every try because its the same story over and over again but their first try-
Garners marked up on jurbo doesn't slide hard enough
Cole marked up on ben turbo and doesn't slide quick enough at all even the the block play is obvious
Tago and turuva left with a 3 on 2.. brooks and there centre are renowned speedsters.. so very hard spot to defend. Was to much room just to show them the sideline.. tago jammed uo and got no one and turuva hung back.

Really you could blame all 4 players and the players inside garner should be heaviky blamed.

But instead people just want to hammer tago.

Yes im not arguing hes down on form and confidence..

But if you actually look at a lot of the tries this year its been the same story over and over. We just arent numbering up well.

It was the same with the try on Alamontis side..they had numbers he didmt know what to do and got caught in absolute no mans land.

The issues are stemming from the inside and playing middle heavy with a very compressed defence.

Like i said maybe 4 weeks ago i think its very fixable and i dont really see one player as the issue. Its not a Tago issue..its a team issue.

Well said.

I don't see as a big issue. It's easy and very fixable.

Iamback

Coach
This is analysis someone did specifically on the defence being discussed here.

You will notice after he breaks it down.

Try one Tago went to attack Brooks.
Try 2 Tago doesn't trust Cole

So even after someone goes to all that trouble still comes to poor decisions.

You probably pick 30 other times that Manly tried that but everyone did their job and shut it down

WestyLife

First Grade
You will notice after he breaks it down.

Try one Tago went to attack Brooks.
Try 2 Tago doesn't trust Cole

So even after someone goes to all that trouble still comes to poor decisions.

You probably pick 30 other times that Manly tried that but everyone did their job and shut it down

They definitely need to trust Cole more kid looks like a good defender

Iamback

Coach
Makes sense. I also posted that one in the wrong thread lol. So Casey suspended and Jesse just hanging around?

Yeah I think it was him that did the shoulder charge

Scrap that both McLeans are in NSW u19's that would be why they are missing.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
I also disagree that Tago has no responsibility watch how critta defends he covers those moments well by staying calm and giving himself time to make a decision.

soc123_au

Staff member
I also disagree that Tago has no responsibility watch how critta defends he covers those moments well by staying calm and giving himself time to make a decision.
I get your point, but you are comparing Raleene Castle with Margot Robbie there.

WestyLife

First Grade
Critta used to make the odd few mistakes for the first couple of years too.

Every centre will have them sure tago seems to be regressing though. Hopefully it clicks at some point. Someone said he needs a big hit or run and I hope they're right. Was a beast pre injury.

I get your point, but you are comparing Raleene Castle with Margot Robbie there.

😂😭 fair still tago can be damn good but seems to be struggling for confidence his running isn't where it was either.

Latest posts