What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - v Manly

justadragon

Bench
Yes 6th is a bridge too far but Canberra & Dolphins sit just 2 points ahead of us and when we play them they are the 2 "absolute must win" games if our season is to have a chance of SF footy.

A lot of swings and roundabouts as well but if we are truly a 7, 8, 9, 10th quality team then we should win our fair share against anyone currently below us.

If we are seeing a false dawn then we will finish bottom 5.
Whilst SOO is still going, it will be hard to gauge anything due to the players that will be in and out of all the teams

TheRev

First Grade
After round 14 only three teams have won more games than us (Panthers, Storm and Sharks). I think most of us would have been pretty happy with that at the start of the season.
Absolutely.. even if we go on a bad run from here, Flanno has exceeded all expectations I thought possible with this roster. Plus.. individually they have virtually all surpassed their 2023 form bar maybe Lawrie who is on the way out.

It does amaze me how confident this forum gets after a win though.. unrealistic expectations that get crushed after every loss. We are very much underdogs in every game we play (bar Tigers)... and we need the good teams to be off their games for us to compete.. we dont have the pack or the kicking game to go set for set with a good team...

denis preston

First Grade
Manly will be absolutely hungry for the 2 points.
At home, the refs will have field day, onside offside, non existent, will we be punished. The ugly defensive side of the White and Reds will be on display, the toothless Tigpies exposed our terrible D in the first 40 minutes.
I don't like the 6 again rule, momentum creates blowout scorelines, penalties allows better defensive sets for teams under extreme pressure.
Manly 42-18.
Negative Neville !

BLM01

First Grade
Yes I remember how atrocious they were and how we fumbled and bumbled our way to wins despite being poor ourselves.
Poor ourselves?.. especially against the Warriors !. You need to go to the watch games a bit more often.
I'd sort of like to think everyone who gets beat would say they are poor and be unhappy with their game.
Thats Ok I am not talking our season up as proved nothing yet except under Flanno we have improved.
BTW to make the 8 we will have to win 6 out of 11 to finish. Still a tall order for us

Last edited:
Absolutely.. even if we go on a bad run from here, Flanno has exceeded all expectations I thought possible with this roster. Plus.. individually they have virtually all surpassed their 2023 form bar maybe Lawrie who is on the way out.

It does amaze me how confident this forum gets after a win though.. unrealistic expectations that get crushed after every loss. We are very much underdogs in every game we play (bar Tigers)... and we need the good teams to be off their games for us to compete.. we dont have the pack or the kicking game to go set for set with a good team...
Many predicted a "roller coaster" season and that is exactly what we have had. What you say Rev is spot on
unrealistic expectations
These expectations certainly, ensure exceptional highs and some enormous lows in all these threads.

I prefer to be a 'glass half full' sort. Whether we like it or not, it is a rebuild that will take a couple of seasons, but I can visualise a top 8 finish (just) albeit with a little luck.

So, when we lose and the "glass half empty" types emerge, I think

Find a smaller glass and stop ya bitching! :p :p :p

Last edited:

kit66

Bench
Yes we beat a weak team in the Tiges but there was a lot to like about the win, like our discipline and low error count, and our structures in attack and defence. Those things don't come overnight, the boys need to re-learn all that after a few years of shit coaching and that takes time. I believe we're improving as the year progresses and should hopefully see less blow outs in future. Also our cohesion as a team, working together and all following the plan Flanno has for us.
We've also been really lucky with minimum injuries and suspension this year and even when we've had them our depth players have performed beyond all expectation. I even think we've been better off without Amone and Bird might also find it hard to get a starting spot with the way we're playing at the moment.
We haven't got the cattle it's true but neither have the Dolphins and look where they are, but we do have a smart coach, a tough forward pack and some real game breakers in Hunt, Lomax, Luc and Sloan. We can make the 8. If we finish 10th that's ok too but I'd want to see some major signings before next year before I get too excited.

Dragon David

First Grade
Bird is a kiss of death player … be that an injury , key error , a lapse in discipline, bad stuff just seems to happen around him. If he comes back in place of a fit Feagai who has done nothing wrong, I’ll be very disappointed
It might be just a co-incidence but while Jack copped a serious injury in his last game, which was against the Dogs (who I hate - love saying this), we lost the game and maybe things would have been different with the final result if he stayed on. He does put me on edge when he is playing as I just keep having the feelings that he will do something stupid.

A bench player at best but Flanno won't have that and when he is fit to return he will be in the starting line-up.

kit66

Bench
It might be just a co-incidence but while Jack copped a serious injury in his last game, which was against the Dogs (who I hate - love saying this), we lost the game and maybe things would have been different with the final result if he stayed on. He does put me on edge when he is playing as I just keep having the feelings that he will do something stupid.

A bench player at best but Flanno won't have that and when he is fit to return he will be in the starting line-up.

I wouldn't be so sure Flanno would throw him straight back in. Flanno usually puts players returning from injury on the bench - Luc, Sele, plus it would be risky putting an injury prone player back in if we had the 4 forward bench again.
I should add to my last post another reason we're improving is that Flanno is getting to know his players better and what's working - like leaving Cake on the bench (I could have told him that) and using JDB as starting prop instead and it looks like he's figured out RFM and Huth should be starters every week, Luc off the bench. Also of course, Lomax to wing - biggest call of the season. Last domino to fall - Bird to the bench permanently or helping out our reserve grade.

Victoire

Juniors
Just thinking back to that February scrimmage against Manly at Brookvale. We got smashed and Flanno was saying Manly could win the comp. Here were are at mid June and not only have we beaten them once already, but we're ahead of them on the ladder. The fact that we're considered any chance at all of winning this weekend is an achievement in itself, but yeah the Eagles have probably the quickest backline in the comp even with Turbo on the sidelines, so reining them in on their home ground is a huge ask.

Biglance

Bench

i think maybe the experts have been wrong about the roster as well. Its not that bad and he brought in some quality

TheRev

First Grade
i think maybe the experts have been wrong about the roster as well. Its not that bad and he brought in some quality
I still think our roster is 16th or 17th in the comp.. we sort of burnt 12mths missing players also.. in a better world our roster looks more like the Dogs one with 1st graders eager to sign up.

Hypothetical... I think if Shane Flanagan was at the Tigers he would have that roster firing in front of the Dragons... I like a lot of their players already let alone with Luai as halfback next year... and theirs is the only comparable roster imo.. we have been fortunate to not have too many injuries also...

God knows what Flanno could with a Newcastle, Parra, Sharks, Cowboys roster etc..