What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 - v Dolphins

Dragon David

First Grade
Some stats, for what they're worth: (negatives in red)

We are not in the top quartile (top 4 teams) in any statistic - good or bad.

Second quartile (4th to 8th) for : attacking kicks, forced drop outs, offloads, dummy half runs, line engagements, conversions, penalties received, errors, tries conceded
Third quartile (outside the 8): runs, run metres, line breaks, tackle busts, time in opposition 20, completion rate, 1 pass hitups, general play passes, try assists, kicks, long kicks, kick returns, run meters conceded, line breaks conceded
Fourth quartile (toward the bottom of the table): run metres, line breaks, kick meters, weighted kicks, kick return metres, penalties conceded, tackles, missed tackles, offloads conceded

Others can analyse but my superficial summary is:

Attack: the effort is there but the effectiveness has to improve. There's a lack of support play. We're not tactically dominant, our kicking game is poor, we're easily defended against, we don't bend the line or break it, and were error ridden.

Defence: we're forced to tackle our butts off - because of our poor tactical game management (lack of field position), largely due to our poor kicking game.

I think this all suggests that our forwards are putting in the work but we really need more grunt both in attack and defence. Sorry Ben but I think the ineffectiveness of our halfback is a major factor in the areas in which our performance is below par. Our back line obviously is too lightweight also but, if we could improve our support play we could make substantial improvements.
Great analysis and stats Mojo. You have highlighted the deficiencies and hope that they can be remedied.

jeffdragon

Bench

Second quartile (4th to 8th) for : attacking kicks, forced drop outs, offloads, dummy half runs, line engagements, conversions, penalties received, errors, tries conceded
Third quartile (outside the 8): runs, run metres, line breaks, tackle busts, time in opposition 20, completion rate, 1 pass hitups, general play passes, try assists, kicks, long kicks, kick returns, run meters conceded, line breaks conceded
Fourth quartile (toward the bottom of the table): run metres, line breaks, kick meters, weighted kicks, kick return metres, penalties conceded, tackles, missed tackles, offloads conceded

Attack: the effort is there but the effectiveness has to improve. There's a lack of support play. We're not tactically dominant, our kicking game is poor, we're easily defended against, we don't bend the line or break it, and were error ridden.

Defence: we're forced to tackle our butts off - because of our poor tactical game management (lack of field position), largely due to our poor kicking game.

I think this all suggests that our forwards are putting in the work but we really need more grunt both in attack and defence. Sorry Ben but I think the ineffectiveness of our halfback is a major factor in the areas in which our performance is below par. Our back line obviously is too lightweight also but, if we could improve our support play we could make substantial improvements.
Like a Hunt 40-20 v Manly ends up with 0.
And how many times do we pin a side diwn only to give away a 6 again or penalty or for the opp to get out of it with a try.

Crush

Coach
Mate. *passes you a beer*

Think back to around January-February-ish. We're an almost unanimous tip for the spoon. Ben Hunt maybe still wants out. We'd missed out on landing AFB and Dearden, then our new signing Cory Allan did a season ending injury at training and our other new signing Ronny Volkman did a season ending injury before even signing. Bleak times.

Since then we've picked up Luc Leilua and big RFM, and we've not only won a game or two, but 7. Seven! And in one of them we scored 50 points! Still half a season to go but we've already beaten last year's mark. In fact, we've only had more than 8 wins in a season ONCE in the last 5 years. And we're nearly there now at the halfway mark. Monumental achievement by the team and coach at this point, and I don't believe anyone is resting on those laurels yet.

The new coaching regime have turned Lomax from a gifted enigma into an Origin player, and returned Jaydn Su'a to that arena as well by reigniting his best form. That same regime will soon take charge of some of the stars of the St George SG Ball team who won that comp for the first time in 32 years; stars including NSW U19 guns Jacob Halangahu and the giant Loko Pasifiki Tonga.

They'll be joined in this Dragons cultural revolution by another new arrival. A true leadership figure who spent years in the neglected doldrums of part-time reserve grade footy in the empty parks of the NSW Cup, before rising to star in the NRL, in a grand final, for NSW, for Australia and barely missing a single game in the process.

Enjoy the ride this year buddy. The fact we are even considered a mild chance of winning against the Dolphins is phenomenal. We're on the upswing
All of these things are true.
Think I’m just recovering from the Manly loss, I went to the game, it was bleak.
Cheers mate

sammymills

Juniors
Anyone else feeling a bit flat at this stage of the season?
I look at this game and think meh, I’ll watch it but not really excited.
Dunno, we are just fumbling our way through the season, win a couple, lose a few.
It just feels like 12th or there abouts is inevitable. And next year? Again, feeling a bit flat about it. Lomax leaves, Cooky comes. Meh.
A spine of Sloan, Flano, Hunt, Cook is decent I guess. But not really. Sloan is hot and cold, mostly room temperature. Flano goes alright. Hunt is great 50% of the time and crap the other, poor to mediocre kicking game. And he kicks a lot. Cook is a good signing, he’ll be fine.
Then there is Allan, Suli, Bird, Fegai which is a below average backline, I mean Suli is excellent but who else we got? Need to sign 2 backs that start NRL.
Forwards are solid enough, we can work with them.
Anyway, not feeling it this week, dunno.
its because we had a bye, its so boring.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The last 2 losses really hurt Saints. Losing to the Dogs and Manly when they led at half time. If those games were wins they would be 22pts outright 4th.

I can understand Crush feeling flat as we get this glimmer of hope that Saints will achieve finals, then they remind us how bad they can be.

Anyway, the boys are still in it at this stage and all we can do is sit back and enjoy the ride.

justadragon

Bench

Second quartile (4th to 8th) : attacking kicks, forced drop outs, offloads, dummy half runs, line engagements, conversions, penalties received, errors, tries conceded

It's no use Hunt telling us at every PC that his kicking game let the side down,,,,,,WE KNOW THAT !!!! How about you either let someone else kick or fix your issues.

maestro1

Bench
If we had a halfback who was actually as good as the press/facebooktards think he is then we beat the sharks and we beat the sea eagles and we sit in equal 3rd ... That is how stupid this competition actually is.
And we would have beaten the Knights as well. The games we have lost, BHunt has admitted his kicking game and last play options were poor. The kicking game is more crucial than ever. Momentum is everything and a good kicking game gets you your fair share of that momentum. Against the Dogs, Burton kept them in the game with a superior kicking game.

kit66

Bench
During Origin Camp we would hope he picks up some tips from DCE on how to improve his kicking game. DCE has been outstanding this season and is probably the best in the business for game management.

DCE's first tip would be make sure you're kicking from inside the oppositions half because Hunt is usually kicking from around our own 40 metre line - which of course is often beyond Hunt's control. His attacking kicks when we do get into our oppositions half are usually pretty good. I'd like to see us force more repeat sets though - we seem scared of the in-goal kicks for fear of a 7 tackle give-away (another stupid knee-jerk rule).

RedVee

First Grade
He is needled up.
iIf he comes back on tonight.
And maybe Sunday.
He came back on.
But I half expect him to be rested as the Dolphs have a bye next round.

Lomax, I was concerned he wouldn’t back up but he played strongly last night. I’m hoping he will be ok for us.
I guess it depends on our he pulls up over the next couple of days.