What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

BennyV

Referee
He's the leading try scorer in that competition and it's his first real season of training as a first grader. I think there will be a few clubs sitting up and taking notice of him now.
Sweet - let’s hope they take enough notice to sign him and allow us to focus on the youngsters with a full first grade future like Lomax, Herbert and Masters. Maybe Johns, but I’d comfortably prioritise the other 3 in our future backline.

ATM Pereira is a 25yo reserve grader with little upside who’s not attracted interest from any other NRL club. The younger guys have far more potential.

watatank

Coach
He's the leading try scorer in that competition and it's his first real season of training as a first grader. I think there will be a few clubs sitting up and taking notice of him now.

How did Periera go from not even a journeyman to attracting interest from a few clubs? Anyway, good luck to him if he can secure a deal at another club, but chances are he's probably going to a QLD based ISP club when his contract runs out.

But he plays for us and is in form in a position we are lacking in

If we were lacking as much as people have made out, Pereira would have played at least 10 games. Fact is our depth is not that bad. Macdonald and Mann are our wingers, I cant think of a better backup than Nightingale and we have several backline prospects like Herbert and Lomax (and others) that we are can't give a game for.

How did Periera go from not even a journeyman to attracting interest from a few clubs? Anyway, good luck to him if he can secure a deal at another club, but chances are he's probably going to a QLD based ISP club when his contract runs out.

If we were lacking as much as people have made out, Pereira would have played at least 10 games. Fact is our depth is not that bad. Macdonald and Mann are our wingers, I cant think of a better backup than Nightingale and we have several backline prospects like Herbert and Lomax (and others) that we are can't give a game for.
I should’ve clarified by saying this week against the storm as Mann will probably go into the halves

watatank

Coach
Fair enough but even if that was true Nightingale will just step in. We still have Herbert who could debut and of course Lomax is injured.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Anyway, there are reports that Cordner won't play SOO3, so that means Sims will most probably get a start, if even from the bench.
Our forward stocks for the game against Melbourne are looking a little thin now.

Props - Graham, LAM
2nd row - Host, Leilua
Lock - Sele
Hooker - McInnes

Bench:
Latimore, Lawrie
Ford (if he's been promoted to the 30) or Kerr
Nighty (if Hunt not selected for QLD) or Herbert

Robson wont play as he is playing in the U20's SOO.

Now that Ponga is out of selection, Hunt will probably get a reprieve, if only from the bench. That would mean moving Mann to half and Nighty to wing, or just playing Nicholls as the 7 and leaving Mann and Nighty as they are.
Would really like Herbert to get a chance though.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I am with you on Peiera. He does not even get mentioned as a possible spot on the wing.
I would be interested to hear from people who have seen him play.

From my limited experience of watching Peiera play (including today's match against Western Suburbs), I've always been impressed by his speed, strength and finishing prowess.

Unfortunately, these attributes don't extend to defence where the Magpies went down his left edge, where it almost cost Saints the game.

kit66

Bench
Sweet - let’s hope they take enough notice to sign him and allow us to focus on the youngsters with a full first grade future like Lomax, Herbert and Masters. Maybe Johns, but I’d comfortably prioritise the other 3 in our future backline.

ATM Pereira is a 25yo reserve grader with little upside who’s not attracted interest from any other NRL club. The younger guys have far more potential.

Little upside ? Top try scorer in reserves, 2nd for line breaks, 2nd for tackle breaks and 4th for both Runs and Run Metres. Also safe under the high ball and a solid defender. He's doing everything asked of him and more and doing his jersey proud. Bit of respect wouldn't be misplaced.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/?competition=113&season=2018

Looking at those Stats also shows how well our young forwards are traveling and learning their craft - especially good to see the Top 4 for Decoy Runs all Dragons, get them running decoys and good lines early. Good too for Metres and Post Contact Metres. Shows they're meeting some targets and then some. Lawrie and Sele should make the side to play Storm as well as Host or Leilua. Nichols in for Hunt might be a gamble considering Mann could do the job and handle the defence ( better than Hunt ) but his kicking game would be a bonus.

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
If sims remains 18th man he will be playing .
Unless the rules have chaged.

Thanks Sammy , I thought that may had been the case . By the way , let young Latts. know that the ' ref ' from Melbourne is still looking for his marbles , perhaps he may be able to help him out once again . :innocent:

rednwhites

Juniors
If we lose Sims I think it really sways things in Storm's favour. Sims has been our best player this year IMO and he really deserves it after missing out in previous years as well as this one. I am torn - a part of me wants Cordner to make a quick recovery.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If we lose Sims I think it really sways things in Storm's favour. Sims has been our best player this year IMO and he really deserves it after missing out in previous years as well as this one. I am torn - a part of me wants Cordner to make a quick recovery.
I will be happy for Sims to play for us against Melbourne and then to get called up to replace Cordner for origin 3.

I also think you may be correct that Sims has been our best player this year. I have said numerous times that I think he is the form second rower in the comp this year.

RedVDragon

Juniors
I can smell a Dragons win down in Melbourne. Mary has done a great job rotating the forwards this year. We will be very well prepared

MilanDragon

Juniors
Rumours Hunt will be dropped for SOO, would be huge for us. Surely they don’t play him off the bench. Changes the whole complexion of our backline.

Problem is we could be missing most of our pack if Sims gets called up

BennyV

Referee
Little upside ? Top try scorer in reserves, 2nd for line breaks, 2nd for tackle breaks and 4th for both Runs and Run Metres. Also safe under the high ball and a solid defender. He's doing everything asked of him and more and doing his jersey proud. Bit of respect wouldn't be misplaced.

https://www.nrl.com/stats/?competition=113&season=2018

Looking at those Stats also shows how well our young forwards are traveling and learning their craft - especially good to see the Top 4 for Decoy Runs all Dragons, get them running decoys and good lines early. Good too for Metres and Post Contact Metres. Shows they're meeting some targets and then some. Lawrie and Sele should make the side to play Storm as well as Host or Leilua. Nichols in for Hunt might be a gamble considering Mann could do the job and handle the defence ( better than Hunt ) but his kicking game would be a bonus.
Agree with you on forwards and wouldnt be fussed wither way in the halves. If Nichols gets a god then great, he can provide some direction (although IMO Widdop should be able to control the team for a game) whereas if Mann gets a gig then he gets his hands on the ball more and we are more likely to see Herbert get a run off the bench.

On Jordan P, I hope those stats give him enough highlight for other clubs to sniff around him as depth and keep their hands off our youngsters with big futures (although if they watch his defence they may be a bit wary). In reality, his ceiling is a fringe first grader who may fill the 29th or 30th squad spot and play a handful off first grade games in his career. Similar to Peter Mata'utia, who was completely dominant in NSW Cup but never quite made the step up to full time first grader.

So yes, little upside, especially compared to kids like Lomax, Herbert and Marsters who potentially have full careers in first grade in their future.

I'm just curious, say we were to continue this type of form over the next 10 weeks end finish in the bottom half of the top 8, followed by a quick semi final exit. Would most of you consider it a successful year? And what of the coach?

Straight Shooter

The Damo

Juniors
I'm just curious, say we were to continue this type of form over the next 10 weeks end finish in the bottom half of the top 8, followed by a quick semi final exit. Would most of you consider it a successful year? And what of the coach?

Straight Shooter
This type of form? You mean winning 4 of our last 5 matches?
That’d give us 7-8 more wins and finish the Comp in 1st or 2nd on 40-42 points with an at worst record of 19 wins and 5 losses. Yes, actually f**k Yes. That would be an outstandingly successful year of the regular comp. wouldn’t it?
I’d then make my judgement of the finals based on what happens in the finals. But it wouldn’t change the fact, yes fact, that we’d had an exceptionally successful year over 25 rounds.

BennyV

Referee
This type of form? You mean winning 4 of our last 5 matches?
That’d give us 7-8 more wins and finish the Comp in 1st or 2nd on 40-42 points with an at worst record of 19 wins and 5 losses. Yes, actually f**k Yes. That would be an outstandingly successful year of the regular comp. wouldn’t it?
I’d then make my judgement of the finals based on what happens in the finals. But it wouldn’t change the fact, yes fact, that we’d had an exceptionally successful year over 25 rounds.
I think he's referring more to the style of play when he says 'form' than the result in the W/L column.