What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 Vs Titans

Kilkenny

Coach
When the team is announced at 4pm no doubt Cleary & Maloney will be named as the starting halves.

It will be interesting to see who is named positions 14 to 21 which may given some indication of who may partner Jerome Laui if both Cleary & Maloney are ruled out.

I have no doubt Maloney will play if he comes thru Origin relatively unscathed. I don’t think Ivan has much choice as the other options are very, very limited.

Panfa

Juniors
Its a tricky one be good to give maloney cleary a rest but we need to win as many games as possible to make the 8 especially with our for and against.A loss to the titans and that could kill our momentum and season we need to win 1 more game then most of our rivals cause if -90 odd.

Both need a rest.
Maloney to freshen himself up for the run home and Cleary just to be 100% right.
The tricky part is we need to keep the winning streak going for a little longer to keep building momentum.

Kilkenny

Coach
What’s the odds we will be on the receiving end of a ‘send off’ given all the talk around the NRL crackdown on foul play. Is there any stats around which teams have copped the most players being sin binned, we’d have to be up near the lead surely given some of the rough deals we get from referees.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has named his squad to face Gold Coast Titans at Panthers Stadium on Friday.

James Maloney and Jarome Luai have been named as the starting halves, with Nathan Cleary listed in the reserves as he attempts to overcome his ankle injury.

Sione Katoa is unavailable for selection after being charged with dangerous contact following last Sunday's Canterbury Cup win over the Bulldogs.

GET YOUR GAMEDAY INFO HERE

The Panthers will wear the 2019 Home Jersey.

Panthers v Titans
Panthers Stadium
6pm Friday 12 July

1. Dylan EDWARDS - sponsored by Lendcorp
2. Josh MANSOUR - sponsored by Daily Press
3. Dean WHARE - sponsored by Volvo Cars Penrith
4. Brent NADEN - sponsored by AMA Event Management
5. Brian TO'O - sponsored by Fornari's Interior Linings
6. Jarome LUAI - sponsored by Soneta Plumbing
7. James MALONEY - sponsored by Tuff Mouthguards
8. James TAMOU (c) - sponsored by Signace
9. Mitch KENNY - sponsored by Hertz
10. James FISHER-HARRIS - sponsored by HIX Group
11. Viliame KIKAU - sponsored by Zoo Fitness
12. Isaah YEO - sponsored by Chemtools
13. Liam MARTIN - sponsored by Stylus Blinds

14. Wayde EGAN - sponsored by Chardon & Abbott Home Loans
15. Frank WINTERSTEIN - sponsored by Protech Locksmiths
16. Moses LEOTA - sponsored by Potter Automotive
17. Reagan CAMPBELL-GILLARD - sponsored by Bidfood
18. Kaide ELLIS - sponsored by CETNAJ Wetherill Park/Rouse Hill
19. Jed CARTWRIGHT - sponsored by Worldwide Parramatta
20. Hame SELE - sponsored by Fantastic Framing
21. Nathan CLEARY - sponsored by Brightside Music

snickers007

Juniors
What’s the odds we will be on the receiving end of a ‘send off’ given all the talk around the NRL crackdown on foul play. Is there any stats around which teams have copped the most players being sin binned, we’d have to be up near the lead surely given some of the rough deals we get from referees.

We don't really give away a lot of foul play penalties though. Mostly we're guilty of slowing down the play the ball, stripping, and being offside

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Cleary looks unlikely to play.
So whats our plan if Maloney is unable to backup from Origin?
Egan into the halves?
Or Cartwright/Yeo to center and Whare into the halves?

snickers007

Juniors
We should just put Fisher Harris at 6. He plays a lot before the line anyway.

Plus he set up Nadens match winner against the Warriors by crabbing across, attracting the defenders and getting the ball to Laui.

Not sure if he has a kicking game, but I have faith in the great man. :p

Panfa

Juniors
Whats everyones thoughts on naden to fullback and edwards to 5/8 for a bit more speed my only concern with egan at 6 is lack of speed tyrone roberts will burn him.

Blues Riff

Bench
Panthers sweat on Maloney with Cleary return unlikely

Penrith are sweating on the fitness of James Maloney following the State of Origin decider with only one other recognised playmaker in Jarome Luai available for their clash with Gold Coast on Friday.

Maloney is expected to be named for the Panthers on Tuesday but faces the task of backing up for his club less than 48 hours after the interstate blockbuster.

With star halfback Nathan Cleary injured the only other player in the squad's top 30 with a halves background is Tyrone May, who has been training with the club but has been stood down from playing commitments until his court case over charges of filming women without their consent is resolved.

Cleary has spent the past week with the Penrith rehabilitation group and is rated only an outside chance of making a return to the field after he was ruled out of Origin III contention.

"Nath's been doing a lot of rehab running and whatever he can to accelerate his ankle recovery," Panthers winger Josh Mansour told NRL.com on Monday.

"You can't leave no stone unturned, you just do whatever you can to get back for your mates. There's some quirky and methods you explore, legally of course.

"You want to look for whatever edge you can coming back from injury even if it's by a percent here or there because it all adds up in the end.

"We don't want to rush him obviously. Last year was a physical and mental battle for him after Origin but he knows the game now and it's going to build his character and resilience.

"We've got a couple of other options if it doesn't work out and our belief is sky high at the moment that whoever comes in can do a job for us."

Penrith captain James Tamou said Maloney wouldn't be pressured into backing up after experiencing the challenge first-hand during his time playing for the Blues.

"We're hopeful but it's a tough ask," Tamou said.

"Some Friday night games after a Wednesday night game is good because you just get it out of the road and don't have too long to think about it.

"But you do everything you can to recover in that short time. In your mind you think you're all right but your body can be a bit behind the eight ball."

The Panthers are climbing the Telstra Premiership ladder after sitting in last spot just six weeks ago with three home games in a row coming up set to be a make-or-break period for the club.

"There's a good vibe but we obviously can't release too much momentum," Tamou said.

"We need to keep fixing things and hopefully keep riding the wave. Ever since we were dead last I haven't looked at the ladder. I know we're around 10th spot but we just need to keep winning."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/08/panthers-sweat-on-maloney-with-cleary-return-unlikely/
Thanks for that mate. It's been so fkn cold. I needed a good sweat.

betcats

Referee
Whats everyones thoughts on naden to fullback and edwards to 5/8 for a bit more speed my only concern with egan at 6 is lack of speed tyrone roberts will burn him.

Edwards can’t play 5/8th but the way Naden has stepped up so far I wouldn’t mind seeing what he can do at fullback, he knows the position well.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Edwards can’t play 5/8th but the way Naden has stepped up so far I wouldn’t mind seeing what he can do at fullback, he knows the position well.
Not sure moving Naden would be worth the risk with him doing so well. I'd be leaving him in the centres for the year

TheFrog

Coach
NRL.com said:
Tyrone May, who has been training with the club but has been stood down from playing commitments until his court case over charges of filming women without their consent is resolved.
Absolutely no need for this to have been mentioned on a website run by the governing body.

TheFrog

Coach
Cleary looks unlikely to play.
So whats our plan if Maloney is unable to backup from Origin?
Egan into the halves?
Or Cartwright/Yeo to center and Whare into the halves?
The club seems to playing its cards very close to its chest. I think Cleary will play. Of the options above, Egan seems the least ridiculous.

Latest posts