What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Panthers

George Dragon

Juniors
That's a 38.5% win ratio.....in 26 games....which equates to a full season of footy!
I think Pricey was running at about 39% when he got the ass.
This plank is untouchable.
Price was 36% overall, the year he was sack 40% 4and6
Mary by year 50% half year 48% 41% 61% this year 37% overall 49%

pantherz9103

First Grade
Yeah I was corrected earlier. I've been so accustomed to us being terrible it never occurred to me that someone like the Dragons would be worse. Teams like Titans and Dogs maybe.

Our defence has been among the best in the last 6 games. We’ve conceded just 70 points, compared to 240 points in the first 10 games.

Our attack still sucks quite a bit, with only the Bulldogs having scored fewer points.

The Dragons could get us though if we continue to have such low completion rates and low conversion of tackles in opposition 20 into points.

OldPanther

Coach
Our defence has been among the best in the last 6 games. We’ve conceded just 70 points, compared to 240 points in the first 10 games.

Our attack still sucks quite a bit, with only the Bulldogs having scored fewer points.

The Dragons could get us though if we continue to have such low completion rates and low conversion of tackles in opposition 20 into points.

For sure. It took 30 minutes to score against the Titans and we were dominating.

slippery5

Juniors
Didn't Gould keep saying Griffin's job was safe?
Maybe it's a bit of spin before he comes in & cleans the place out.

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-mn-003.jpg

TEAM LISTS

24-hour warning: Round 18 v Penrith Panthers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 18 Jul 2019, 07:55 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Round 18 clash against the Penrith Panthers on Friday, July 19.

Jacob Host and Jason Saab are the two players to drop out of the initial squad named on Tuesday.

Tyson Frizell will celebrate his 150th NRL game against the Panthers. Making his debut for the Cronulla Sharks in 2011, Frizell has featured 137 times for the Red V so far in his illustrious career.

NRL squad for Round 18 v Penrith Panthers –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by SMAI
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Tosich Group
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Darren Nicholls – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. James Graham– sponsored by EFEX

Interchange:
14. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Patrick Kaufusi – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
20. Tristan Sailor

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/18/24-hour-warning-round-18-v-penrith-panthers/

denis preston

First Grade
Terrible times in that i hope we get lapped so the pressure remains on the club to either make a decision or at least make a fu..en statement.
We are here now with this galoot of a coach because we fluked our only win in a semi final under his tutelage last year. I truly believe if we are any chance to flick him we can't afford to have even 2 more victories this year. Barrett looks likely doesn't he as a replacement ? If that is regrettably the case then i hope this also means Young & Hornby are flicked as well ( if not the nepotism criticism have obviously fallen on deaf ears ) Barrett's only positive is nobody, i mean nobody could be as bad as Mary.

Vinnie

Juniors
I cant understand why if he chooses to rest Hunt as stupid as it sounds (obviously there's more to that story) anyway why would he play Nichols over Field ??? Better or Worse Field has played with the team already so would have a better knowledge of players, plays, formations etc etc, I can only assume Norman must have had a say in that maybe Fields on the outer ???

getsmarty

Immortal
5h ago
Pressure at all-time high on St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of must-win Panthers clash
Written By Liam O'Loughlin
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images

Pressure is continuing to mount on the St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of their must-win clash with the Penrith Panthers on Friday night - and rumours are beginning to circulate about player unrest at the club.

The Dragons currently sit in 14th place on the NRL ladder and will need to win at least six of their last eight games to be a chance of making the finals, and there has been mass uproar from the Red V faithful about coach Paul McGregor opting to rest Ben Hunt for this weekend's game.

And on Friday morning, rumours began to circulate that Tyson Frizell may be unhappy at the Dragons and is looking to move away from the club.

Rumour Mill: Tyson Frizell looks likely to join Roosters. Frizell is desperately unhappy at the Dragons, particularly with the club's position on Jack De Belin, and has already asked for a release. https://t.co/glP92aQBTO

- ReadingThePlay (@ReadingThePlay) July 18, 2019

It's no joke. Frizell asked for a release two weeks ago..

- ReadingThePlay (@ReadingThePlay) July 18, 2019

But Andrew Webster refuted those rumours when asked by radio host and former NSW coach Laurie Daley on the Big Sports Breakfast, and also spoke on the decision to rest their star playmaker in Hunt.

"I haven't heard it at all, but Frizell is signed long-term and I don't think they would ever want to get rid of him," he said.

"Mary thought it was time to rest Ben, there aren't any other halfbacks that had to play three 80- minute performances at hooker for the Maroons. I can't understand what he is thinking.

"I just think he has got a tired squad; it has been hard on all of them. People are underestimating how much the De Belin thing took the wind out of their sails."

It has been a long year for the Dragons after losing De Belin to NRL's 'no fault stand down policy' and skipper Gareth Widdop to a shoulder injury - but there is no excuse for their position on the ladder with five Origin players in their ranks.

Webster said he had a 'long chat' to McGregor this week and while he doesn't believe he will be going anywhere, he can understand why there is such great pressure on the coach.

"He has had adversity but I also understand the pressure on him," he said.

"He has been there since 2014 and he has only had two matches in the finals.

"They are a club that demands success and yes there has been some extenuating circumstances this year, but you look at the team though and they had five Origin players against the Raiders."

The Dragons will take on a resurgent Panthers side who are aiming for seven wins in a row and have made their way into the top eight, and a loss for the Saints will all but end their season.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...n-frizell-ben-hunt/1w9p1zbzgxfur1xysxbeewl9sq

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons eye unlikely NRL finals spot
  • National Sport News
    r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor hopes James Graham's return from injury will boost his side.
    Six wins from eight games.

That's the equation St George Illawarra face if they want to make the NRL finals, according to coach Paul McGregor after he crunched the numbers on his side's fading top eight hopes.

McGregor raised eyebrows on Sunday when he insisted his side was not only still in finals contention, they were capable of winning the entire competition following their 36-14 mauling at the hands of Canberra.

If left them in 14th spot and two wins outside the top eight on 14 points.

In recent times, the traditional cut-off for eighth-spot has been 28 points.

But with the NRL draw being restructured last year so that each side only has one bye, that's expected to lower the bar to 26 points.

With James Graham (leg) returning against Penrith on Friday and skipper Gareth Widdop (shoulder) expected back the following week against South Sydney, McGregor insisted anything is possible.

"I think 26 will get you in, I've felt that for a little while now. I haven't changed my opinion there," he said.

"I still think anyone on their day can beat anyone, that's what the salary cap does, it brings everyone in tight.

"When you've got key players missing it divides a little bit.

"With James returning for us and Gareth possibly next week, we're getting back to a full strength team.

"There's no reason we can't win consecutive games consistently to finish the year. We've just got to make sure we go out and do it through our actions."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/6282060/dragons-eye-unlikely-nrl-finals-spot/?cs=13069

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Im interested to know why every other coach rested they're origin stars during the series or last weekend.
Not Mary though, he waits till now with Hunt obviously busted.
The guy is in dream land with his6 from 8 theory as well. Its Pie in the sky stuff from him as usual.

Latest posts