What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 v Sea Eagles

thebigredv

First Grade
Bird and Lomax need to exercise better judgment in attack.

Agree with your view on each of your statements but perhaps this one most of all.

Those forced passes from highly paid experienced players do so much damage to the team. Sometimes they squander points, other times they are turning points in matches and at their worst these low percentages panic passes or handling errors lead directly to points against. Greater than all that they set a tone for the way the team plays and it's becoming a weekly occurrence. They are supposed to be match winner type players which they could do a lot more with their aggression, physicality which they posses in spades but they need to be more selective and patient. Deadset Corey Norman won us more matches than these two and that's saying something.

And if you think I'm being hyperbolic I will remind you this belittles the work of the entire team. We see it every single game without fail from Zac and Bird. The coach, who is so hell bent on not risking juniors as they might leak points, needs to turn some attention to this and preventing it. They ain't got the skill they think they do. Play to your strengths.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
It was a long second half.
Thought the Eagles would come back but we stuck to it.
Errors cost us any chance to build pressure
The set before they scored Hunt failed to get a kick away on the last,instead passed.
Lawrie was great tonight.
Burns also did well.hope we sign him.
Benny lead by example.
Wish the forwards would run on to the ball not stand so shallow.
Agree re Lawrie hes starting to put some hard earned games together for us....as for Burns hes put on some muscle and his strength is starting to pay off.....although there is one annoying habit he needs to get out of his game and thats when he gets the ball he runs straight back to where the last tackle took place.....I was hoping Kerr would have stamped his mark on a regular 1st grade gig by now but that seems to have evaporated which is very disappointing for a bloke of his size

SAP58

Juniors
I was at the game last night & Bud would be a tired boy today from all the warming up & stretching he did in the second half on the sideline. People around me were all miffed at why he wasnt put on earlier, this game was made for him with his speed. A mystery but one thing for sure McCullogh is WAY past his best, yes he can tackle but service from dummy half is pedestrian at best, I watched him last night last night & the defence moves up too quickly for him, by the time he gets the ball away our forwards have no room & will never hit the advantage line.

Illusion

Bench
Agree re Lawrie hes starting to put some hard earned games together for us....as for Burns hes put on some muscle and his strength is starting to pay off.....although there is one annoying habit he needs to get out of his game and thats when he gets the ball he runs straight back to where the last tackle took place.....I was hoping Kerr would have stamped his mark on a regular 1st grade gig by now but that seems to have evaporated which is very disappointing for a bloke of his size
I like Burns , I call him the man with no emotion , score a try no emotion , make a big tackle , no emotion , drop a ball no emotion .......

Bud was on for two minutes but showed a lot of energy and willingness to take on the defensive line. After a pretty aimless second half geared towards grinding out a win we scored after he was introduced. Does Hook not see this?
Overall it was a good turnaround (Manly were big winners last week and us, big losers) but should it really take an emergency meeting of the Board to achieve this?
Hook out. D Young or M Potter in.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I agree with all the comments about our dour style of play, but just consider this... if we had won the Titans match a few weeks ago, which we butchered, we would only be 2 points behind the Storm and we’ll in the top 8.

we have only played half a game of top quality footy throughout the year.... against Rabits, but we are grinding out wins so we should not lose perspective on what we are achieving, even though our style of play is grinding and boring

Gippsy

Bench
But the thing is, we don't look too bad when we actually play. The problem is if we do hit the front we stop playing, and go back to one out hitups in the middle of the ruck.

I thought last night that if we had've kept shifting the ball wide and thrown some questions at their defence, we would've put a lot more points on them.

Draginzaaar

Bench
But the thing is, we don't look too bad when we actually play. The problem is if we do hit the front we stop playing, and go back to one out hitups in the middle of the ruck.

I thought last night that if we had've kept shifting the ball wide and thrown some questions at their defence, we would've put a lot more points on them.
Too flat in attack. All the good teams have depth, so a decoy will look like he may get the ball.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I just want to mention something from the game that I didn't expect to see: at around the 20th minute, Cherry Evans chipped over the top from near Manly's line and Harper took off downfield - Moga ran Harper down! He showed more speed than I thought he owned (or is Harper way slower than I thought?)

thebigredv

First Grade
Too flat in attack. All the good teams have depth, so a decoy will look like he may get the ball.
Yep. We have the form halfback in the comp and yet it is true, no depth and very little fluidity in attack and therefore very few opportunities given to our wingers.

That's got to be coaching tactics and these tactics are not helping us.

jeffdragon

Bench

We look good when we throw it around.
At least we ran some angles.

TruSaint

Referee
I just want to mention something from the game that I didn't expect to see: at around the 20th minute, Cherry Evans chipped over the top from near Manly's line and Harper took off downfield - Moga ran Harper down! He showed more speed than I thought he owned (or is Harper way slower than I thought?)

I recall that.

Not so sure any of the two are fast, but on Harper, he owned Lomax.

Did you notice the reaction of Moga when Zac tried his flick pass in the second half ?

Gold.

Zac is either trying too hard or is way down on confidence. Thank God he kicks goals.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I agree with all the comments about our dour style of play, but just consider this... if we had won the Titans match a few weeks ago, which we butchered, we would only be 2 points behind the Storm and we’ll in the top 8.

we have only played half a game of top quality footy throughout the year.... against Rabits, but we are grinding out wins so we should not lose perspective on what we are achieving, even though our style of play is grinding and boring
The first half against the Roosters was pretty good too, gives us 2 halves of play we can aspire to, just got to do it in the one match.