What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Predictions

amnrlfan

Juniors
AMNRL

Knights @ Wildcats - I am going to have to go with the Knights here. Wildcats took the knights in a close one last week but I don't think they will be able to go two for two.

Bulls @ Raiders - Raiders over the Bulls for this one. Raiders should have no problem here considering the Bulls had trouble last week.

Vipers @ Sharks - SHARKS !

USARL

Slayers @ Titans - This one may be the game of the week. Titans came up with a big win last week as did the Slayers. I am going to have to go with the Slayers in this match, their experience will have the upper hand.

Rebellion @ Warriors - With the Warriors taking a round 1 beating in Florida I think they will come firing in round 2 with too much for Rhode Island to handle. Rhode Island did not produce much on offense last week but hopefully will cross the line a couple times this week to make it a match.

13's @ Axemen - No question here, Axemen will come up on top facing a weak 13's side. 13's had trouble last week and having to travel down to Florida to face a strong Axemen squad will be tough for the 13's

Oneida @ Fight - Fight looked good in round 1 and should continue their winning habits against a struggling Oneida side.

joshreading

Staff member
AMNRL - I have to admit, key people in this crew tick me off enough not to care, save the Sharks guys. Thus I only tip Sharks to Win but unfortunately by forfeit as the Vipers unfortunately will not field a full side again

USARL

Slayers @ Titans - Titans continue their strong start with a 6 point win

Rebellion @ Warriors - Warriors win by 10

13's @ Axemen - Axemen win by 20

Oneida @ Fight - Oneida shock win by 12

clarency

Juniors
I duno enough about the USARL yet to start making tips. Though in spite of my Jerseylicious/Jersey Shore introduced hatred of New Jersey... I still feel compelled to follow the Titans...

Goddo

Bench
Slayers by 14 over NJ
Warriors by 12 over RIR
Axemen by 20 over 13s
Fight by 24 over Oneida

AMNRL? who knows if teams will even show. Sad state of affairs.

amnrlfan

Juniors
Sharks vs Vipers

Looks like the Vipers have a full roster even though they had trouble fielding a side last week. Roster includes a couple of Tomahawks including ex Axemen Apple Pope, ex Bull Nate Smith and Luke Collins. Still going with the Sharks in Round 2 !

2011 Team Roster:
Apple Pope
Salesi Tongamoa
Brandon Craig
Luke Collins
Joe Kellar
Rory Doyle
Mike Williams
Dan Kateusz
Brian Trotter
Royal Gentry
Eric Johnsen
Pat Byrne
Na'ati Akauola
Nate Smith
Jeff Preston
Nick Joseph
Jonathan Chialini
Nick Pappas
Jamal Cooper
Steve Maiden

druzik

Juniors
Sharks vs Vipers

Looks like the Vipers have a full roster even though they had trouble fielding a side last week. Roster includes a couple of Tomahawks including ex Axemen Apple Pope, ex Bull Nate Smith and Luke Collins. Still going with the Sharks in Round 2 !

2011 Team Roster:
Apple Pope
Salesi Tongamoa
Brandon Craig
Luke Collins
Joe Kellar
Rory Doyle
Mike Williams
Dan Kateusz
Brian Trotter
Royal Gentry
Eric Johnsen
Pat Byrne
Na'ati Akauola
Nate Smith
Jeff Preston
Nick Joseph
Jonathan Chialini
Nick Pappas
Jamal Cooper
Steve Maiden

Are the Vipers flying Apple from Jacksonville every weekend?? As far as I know apple is still living down in Jacksonville as thats where is job, family, life etc... is. That is a massive expanse on the Vipers head to do that.

Hope it does work out for them and apple though... I am sure its so that apple can play for the tomahawks.

joshreading

Staff member
I thought it was agreed that USARL players would be selected in the national team (in their discussion with the RFL) This would seem to say it is not the case

natdan

Juniors
Its a sad state of affairs when a side that cannot field a side are then looking to fly players up from Jacksonville when they should be investing in building a team in the area.

AMNRL predictions:

Fiction results as teams fail to field sides.

The USA RL predictions:

NJ Titans v DC Slayers 24-18
Warriors v RIR 44-16
Axemen v 13's 58-6
Fight v Oneida 42-0

deluded pom?

Coach
I find it hard to believe they will fly Pope up for each game. Either he'll be based in the Delaware area for the duration of the season or he won't even pull a Vipers shirt on. I believe it's just a way around the stupid limitations the AMNRL have put on the Tomahawks selection process.

Believe it or not there are some teams in the Amnrl trying to make strides to develope the game and comit themselves to the game of rugby league, much like the sharks. last year we decided to sit the season out to save face and not show up with 9 guys a game. one its unprofessional and two it doesnt look good for anyone involved. to tell you the truth it is an absolute shame what is going on between both comps but it is for them to sort out. We dont play for david nui or the higher ups in the usarl. when we pull a jumper on it says sharks, not any one persons name. i know in the rugby league community this seems like a giant cancer but from the inside you can only control whats inside your organization and let the rest happen around you and to tell you the truth its not that bad. the sharks remain in good standing with the AMNRL and the USARL. basicaly this is not about the players. i know most of you have a strong opinion about this split, but please remember there are teams with integrity in the amnrl who remain loyal to the game of rugby league.

Go the sharks!!!

Choo Choo

Juniors
Believe it or not there are some teams in the Amnrl trying to make strides to develope the game and comit themselves to the game of rugby league, much like the sharks. last year we decided to sit the season out to save face and not show up with 9 guys a game. one its unprofessional and two it doesnt look good for anyone involved. to tell you the truth it is an absolute shame what is going on between both comps but it is for them to sort out. We dont play for david nui or the higher ups in the usarl. when we pull a jumper on it says sharks, not any one persons name. i know in the rugby league community this seems like a giant cancer but from the inside you can only control whats inside your organization and let the rest happen around you and to tell you the truth its not that bad. the sharks remain in good standing with the AMNRL and the USARL. basicaly this is not about the players. i know most of you have a strong opinion about this split, but please remember there are teams with integrity in the amnrl who remain loyal to the game of rugby league.

Go the sharks!!!

I can respect that positions and there is alot of truth there. Say what you want about either comp; but support the lads putting it on the line each week regardless of the league in which they play.

For one, I always enjoyed playing the Sharks be it when I was with Jacksonville or the Eagles.

Good luck this weekend. I do have to say that I think you guys are the team to watch in the AMNRL.

Goddo

Bench
As an outsider, the split has highlighted a few issues I think need fixing:

* The governing body for the sports development and representative teams needs to be seperate from the organisation running the highest club competition, and there needs to be a seperation of finances (however small) *
- this sort of structure is very common in sports played domestically and internationally
- USARL as the national comp with a club run organisation (with its own sponsorship and one day a TV deal if we are lucky), and the AMNRL as the National team/RLIF member/development authority. This body would have to work with the clubs, but not dictate to them.

* There seems to be a lack of depth at some clubs, meaning a full time squad isn't possible every year, yet at others there is plenty of depth that doesn't seem to get a run. *
- Maybe whats needed is regional second tier football, maybe as a feeder 9s competition, say a New England RL 9s (NERL) and a similar structure in Florida, and another around DC/Pennsylvania, all run in parrallel to the main USARL competition.
- Fewer players would make it easier to field teams, less travel reduces cost, yet players get a chance to play, and the better quality players could step up and play in a USARL squad occasionally.
- this would then be a pathway for teams to step up or down from the USARL if they need to. Hopefully this would eventually stop as the competition becomes more stable.

1. 10-12 team USARL comp, with teams distributed in various major population centres to get the widest distribution of oportunities within the game (looking to grow in new major centres, eg Denver, Chicago, Texas, Seattle)
2. Localised 9s competitions acting as feeders to the USARL but also to help clubs going when they are down on numbers (saving travel costs)
3. National Team and development organisation, working with RLIF and the USARL but independent of it

Evil Homer

Staff member
* The governing body for the sports development and representative teams needs to be seperate from the organisation running the highest club competition, and there needs to be a seperation of finances (however small) *
- this sort of structure is very common in sports played domestically and internationally
- USARL as the national comp with a club run organisation (with its own sponsorship and one day a TV deal if we are lucky), and the AMNRL as the National team/RLIF member/development authority. This body would have to work with the clubs, but not dictate to them.
Why should this happen? Why do the AMNRL have any right to anything when they have shown that, as an organisation, they appear to only be interested in personal glory and not the development of the game?

As for your 9's idea, I think that's a poor idea to be honest. If clubs are not ready to commit to a full league schedule then let them play exhibition games and develop until they are ready. Maybe there could be regional merit leagues or something, this works extremely well in expansion areas in the UK. But why you think this would need to be a 9's competition I don't know. 9's can be useful if used the right way but it should only be played in tournaments, and there shouldn't ever be clubs that only play 9's and not proper matches. I cringe when I see fixtures being played that are 9v9, although sometimes unavoidable it makes a mockery of the game IMO.

Last edited:

GTL

Juniors
It will be interesting to see if the Vipers pull it off. Aside from Apple Pope living in Florida, Salesi Tongamoa lives in Atlanta, Georgia. The word on the street is that Mr. Niu has assured some that if they play for the Vipers he will guarantee them a spot on the Tomahawks.

natdan

Juniors
Mr. Nui if found doing this is ruining rugby league in the USA and should step down.

He has been in post for over 15 years and the league was struggling with to many games being forefitted and now he is getting what he deserves by a breakaway comp looking very good in its early stages and not promising the world just to stop players playing in the USARL.'

I have never met the guy but he needs to stop these games, step down and look back at his 15 years of work and think if this was a success or a failure. I know which I would go with!!

The split will show people for what they are, this is time to put up or shut up!!!!

billy2

Juniors
The game in America will be set back 5 years if the AMNRL folds.

The best result will be if both comps prosper.

Fans of the code will be supportive of both comps.

Fans of a good drama will be deathriding the AMNRL.

joshreading

Staff member
I think the only path is that each should continue as they are. (and it could continue for years) and that an independent selection committee should select players for the Tomahawks.

You could easily have two from each side and the coach (being Aussie) being the casting vote.

The clear concern must be, that the AMNRL seem unwilling to put themselves under the RLEF and has no democratic function. No federation should be able to be under the RLIF or involved in international programs without democratic and proper governance processes. Jamaica and Canada are both under the RLEF, so I see not reason why the USA is not. (not that it will fix everything but it might help)

Last edited:

natdan

Juniors
Some people do not want things to run as they should as they might not be the people reaping reward.

If the AMNRL folds, the game will not be set back 5 years at all.

What progress has been made in 15 years? Games not being played, a national team full of overseas players and corruption at getting players to play for fictional sides that could not field a side in week 1? No youth program?

The game needs new people at the helm and they should include the previous top dogs who could still be active but under different circumstances.

The facts are that the game started 15 years ago, people have worked dam hard in these 15 years but have not achieved anything. To move forward the people who have not moved the game forward in 15 years should not still lead the way.

I sound like I am being very harsh as without Nui the game would not be played over here but its been taken as far as possible under that control, move on and lets get the USA on the rugby league map as the USA will be as good as the Australians within 10 years if the game is allowed to develop.

druzik

Juniors
What ever happened to John Morgan? Didn't he get things started originally? He got Rugby league in the USA the big start with the televised games in (95 and 96 no?

Last edited:

Latest posts