What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Saturday 17th March @ Panthers Stadium v Penrith

Rabbits20

Immortal
Booo all you want your Panthers bastard fans!!!!!

He's injured you f**ktards!!!

I've lost respect for them now!!!!

merkins

Rabbits20

Immortal
Karma you bastards dropping that!!

Hang your heads in shame Penrith fans as that was disgraceful!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well done Jennings catching your first bomb!!

They will pepper Fui big time!!!

Hold on lads!!!

With GI down this would be heartbreaking!!!

If we win this I'll go nuts!!!!!

Plus Tatola off!!!

Please hold on Fui!!! Cmon mate...

OldPanther

Coach
Good effort Souths. I thought we were done.

The booing was f**ked and I'm embarrassed to now be associated with that.

The refs were the worst all year. Both ways was just rubbish and Parmigiana should get dropped to reserve grade.

Better luck next week.

Travitoh

First Grade
I've never been so disappointed to be right but this Penrith side is something. They get faster as the game wears on and we didn't have any answers to it.
That said, our discipline cost us there. A few silly penalties in the last 20 minutes allowed them to keep running at us, especially when we spent the majority of that half up to then with two on the bench and finished with three.
A brave effort against a top 4 contender that were just too good for us in the end.
We'll beat Manly next week and comfortably.

Travitoh

First Grade
Good effort Souths. I thought we were done.

The booing was f**ked and I'm embarrassed to now be associated with that.

The refs were the worst all year. Both ways was just rubbish and Parmigiana should get dropped to reserve grade.

Better luck next week.

A fantastic game of footy and it's scary to think of what Penrith could do to teams if they played a full 80 minutes!

souths_reborn

Juniors
I don't think we should be too disheartened by the performance that we saw today. I thought we were easily the better team in every aspect. Generally speaking I don't believe it in luck but today Penrith were lucky in all of the tries that they scored. If I were a Panthers fan I would be really concerned about the lack of cohesion and structure that they play with. Basically, it was the same old Penrith - scoring fortuitous tries from ad-lib footy. This approach will only get them so far. What pleased me the most was the way we defended our goal line! That is what wins games of footy and that is the main reason why I feel we deserved to win.

In saying that, the reason why we lost was predominantly due the side looking to survive the 15-20 minutes rather than score more points. You can't adopt that mentality in the NRL with only 14 points on the board as it is not a big lead in the modern game. I distinctly remember Adam Doueihi putting the ball over the sideline in good field position to waste a few seconds when we should have been putting Penrith under pressure. You are only asking for trouble adopting that sort of mentality. The Broncos lost a grand final to the Cowboys adopting those sorts of tactics and that is what happened today.

The other area of concern for me is fitness. Many people are going to bag the players for their errors in the second half but that for me was due to a lack of fitness rather than poor coaching or technique. I noticed it last week and it happened again this week with the players wilting halfway through the second half. It is probably the main reason why we decided to stop attacking! This needs to be fixed because to beat the best teams we need to be playing the full 80!

In terms of performances, I thought the Burgess twins were extremely good. Many people are going to bag them for a few errors but I think those people are taking cheap shots. I thought their runs with really encouraging and they seem to have worked on their footwork. Additionally, I was really impressed with the back three. Those who hated Madge's style should really be pleased with what Seibold has done in letting the outside backs express themselves and promoting more freedom with the football within the side.

Overall, I wouldn't be too disheartened. Penrith were lucky and will get their just deserts in the coming weeks.

souths_reborn

Juniors
I've never been so disappointed to be right but this Penrith side is something. They get faster as the game wears on and we didn't have any answers to it.
That said, our discipline cost us there. A few silly penalties in the last 20 minutes allowed them to keep running at us, especially when we spent the majority of that half up to then with two on the bench and finished with three.
A brave effort against a top 4 contender that were just too good for us in the end.
We'll beat Manly next week and comfortably.
Discipline was a huge issue but I can't stand Perenara as a referee - he looks for any excuse to blow the whistle. Penrith are a lackluster team that relies on ad-lib footy to score points; they look impressive when they win but abysmal when they lose. They have been this for years now and it is something that Gould is trying to change. Overall, the reason why we lost was a lack of impetus; you always need to be looking to put the opposition under pressure when you have the footy, not play for time which we fell into the trap of doing.

Travitoh

First Grade
Discipline was a huge issue but I can't stand Perenara as a referee - he looks for any excuse to blow the whistle. Penrith are a lackluster team that relies on ad-lib footy to score points; they look impressive when they win but abysmal when they lose. They have been this for years now and it is something that Gould is trying to change. Overall, the reason why we lost was a lack of impetus; you always need to be looking to put the opposition under pressure when you have the footy, not play for time which we fell into the trap of doing.

You're correct in a lot of what you've said but the players need to play the ref. If he's whistle happy then don't give him a reason to be.
I don't want to sound like I'm putting the blame on anyone but Cody and Cook disappointed me in the second half and it showed in the attack. They provided very little compared to the first when we needed something from our two chief playmakers to gain some momentum. The last 20 felt like it was Penrith vs the clock.