What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Wabbits

Exsilium

First Grade
Racial abuse may force superstar Latrell Mitchell to QUIT the NRL https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/n...tml?ito=native_share_article-nativemenubutton

That would be a shame but racism is everywhere and walking away will have an initial impact but not likely anything long term, which is a shame.

I went to an EPL game in the UK between Leeds and Man City and the crowds there are infinitely worse than here when it comes to verbal tirades. Shocked me to the core. I felt awkward just being amongst the crowd and hearing it.

MugaB

Coach

“It’s really disappointing because we don’t represent the Roosters in that way. That’s not how we want to act as Roosters,” Robinson said on Friday morning.

“Whether we like it or not, they were wearing our colours. We have to accept that, but that doesn’t make them a Rooster.

“If you want to act like that, abuse people and do it racially like that, then that’s not who we are and that’s not who we want to be. We need to get better than that.

“From us, apologising from the Roosters to Latrell is important, even though it’s not directly one of our fans who support us who did that. That’s not right.”

---

Good stuff from Robinson and the Roosters.
What a suck up...robbo is... its not the rooster way please.. can you be any more transparent

Dig dig dig dig dig dig

Exsilium

First Grade
What a suck up...robbo is... its not the rooster way please.. can you be any more transparent

Dig dig dig dig dig dig

He had to say something in response. Imagine if he didn't.

Anyway, we should be talking about the game, instead, we're talking about the very, very small percentage of f**kwits in the supporter base.

I'd love it if one day another fan just took it into their own hands but that is another issue and story waiting to happen.

I was at a Panthers v Bulldogs game in 2007 and Bulldogs fans were hurling abuse at certain players, a security guard went over and man handled the merkin out of the game, place erupted in applause but there's not a single supporter base that doesn't have bad eggs and its not a demographic thing IMO. There's just little real consequence for it, which is unfortunate.

MugaB

Coach
He had to say something in response. Imagine if he didn't.

Anyway, we should be talking about the game, instead, we're talking about the very, very small percentage of f**kwits in the supporter base.

I'd love it if one day another fan just took it into their own hands but that is another issue and story waiting to happen.

I was at a Panthers v Bulldogs game in 2007 and Bulldogs fans were hurling abuse at certain players, a security guard went over and man handled the merkin out of the game, place erupted in applause but there's not a single supporter base that doesn't have bad eggs and its not a demographic thing IMO. There's just little real consequence for it, which is unfortunate.
One kid, all this hullabaloo over one dumb kid, who loves the pinnacle roosters

Girds89

Bench
Explosive speed and distance speed are two different attributes but yes, I'd say over 15-20m, most of our pack would be relatively quick.

For instance, Edwards is no speedster but put him a distance footrace and he can maintain top speed enough to get to the try line.

Speed is relative to the output of energy required. Then you add in game fatigue, fitness and muscle reactivity and speed becomes a very subjective topic.

I don't think any of our pack bar Spencer has explosive speed.

And he's explosive speed doesn't compare to that of a quality outside back.

We don't need explosive speed from our forwards. We need them creating opportunities through powerful runs..

Martin had a few mistakes last night but they way he was running the ball was really good signs he is finding the form he had for Australia at the back end of last year early this year.

No way tago gets moved. Not with critta going.

Centre is the hardest spot defensively in the nrl.. you have probably the most decisions to make and on the line it's really all you.

No way we move tago and run with two rookie centres next year. Just won't happen.

Depending on how tiny comes back from his knee op he would be my pick at centre if his recovery has gone well and confidence is high and speed back etc.

I think he could be our Dane gagai.. not the biggest centre but play well above his weight and excel.

Girds89

Bench
Commentary also said he "showed an amazing set of wheels". :confused:

See how easy it is to pick and choose?

So you think garner is quick?

Was a great try but it doesn't mean he is quick haha.

Take the commentary out of it than...

He was already on the outside of foran who is very slow, old and has had a million injuries. And turbo was no where near it till he caught up at the end. Not even worth mentioning the reserve grade harper who looked like he gave up after 3 meters haah.

Iamback

Coach
El Salmondo has genuinely impressed me thus far this season. Has added some size and was a real handful last night. Think he can definitely do a job on an edge if required.

Great to see Garner have a good game last night also. Ran hard from the 1st minute and ran some smart lines.

You must be loving the cloud of plod over most of the 17 at this stage

Iamback

Coach
Like when we are mid table, and can't figure out why we've lost 5-6 games by 1 point margins...
I'll give butterfingers one more game, if he plods his way thru another game, you'll have no choice but to read all my posts on the bad roster strategy in being persistent with bargain buys

It really is clear that the side needs an injection of some x factor, Hopefully the switch is made sooner rather than later

Coast panther

Juniors
Harper being a reserve grader doesn't take away hes quick, and got beat by speed by garner, yes turbo was out of position but even with all his speed and godly powers couldn't stop him haha I reckon by round 10 garner will be scoring regular tries off laui's hip

Girds89

Bench
Harper being a reserve grader doesn't take away hes quick, and got beat by speed by garner, yes turbo was out of position but even with all his speed and godly powers couldn't stop him haha I reckon by round 10 garner will be scoring regular tries off laui's hip

Haha Morgan harper is most definitely not quick. He won't get a look in at the Eagles this year unless there's injuries I'd say.

I hope you're right re garner scoring tries off luais hip, I really do.

I just can't see it. He hasn't been that player his whole career, albeit at the tigers..

Maybe our structures change that and he kicks on but the jury is still well and truly out for me.

Can't help but feel his just a squad filler till either one of the juniors kicks on or we sign someone better.

snickers007

Juniors

Yep.

I posted stats in another thread - but a massive freak of a human (Kikau) has a 30.6% try scoring rate from his 124 games (38 total).
Slow, reserve grade standard, plodder (Garner) has a 29.8% try scoring rate from his 77 games (23 total).
To further show how far superior Kikau is, in his first 77 games, he had scored 24 tries. :rolleyes:

Let's repeat that, Garner in a wooden spoon team scores just as many tries as Kikau does in the record breaking Panthers team.

Girds89

Bench
It really is clear that the side needs an injection of some x factor, Hopefully the switch is made sooner rather than later

Who tho?

I said Peachy you shot that down.

I've suggested soro should start on an edge and we run with Luke, eiso, Spencer peach on the bench but people don't seem to like that idea.

The only option is to throw geyer in the deep end. Part of me thinks stuff it give it a crack. If you're good enough your old enough.

Mason teague getting a crack this weekend, he was a full 12 to 24 months behind mav in development so we will see how he handles the big time.

Girds89

Bench
Yep.

I posted stats in another thread - but a massive freak of a human (Kikau) has a 30.6% try scoring rate from his 124 games (38 total).
Slow, reserve grade standard, plodder (Garner) has a 29.8% try scoring rate from his 77 games (23 total).
To further show how far superior Kikau is, in his first 77 games, he had scored 24 tries. :rolleyes:

Let's repeat that, Garner in a wooden spoon team scores just as many tries as Kikau does in the record breaking Panthers team.

There's no stat's tho that show how many tries kiks sets up just through his shear presence.

Our left was lethal for years..

I can't actually believe you are trying to compare kiks and garner with stat's haha.

That will do me. I couldn't give a stuff about stat's..

Even when kiks wasn't at his best he still gave time and space to his outside men. Just being on the field had an effect.

There is no stat whatsoever, none that you could show me that would make me think Garner is even close to being a similar threat to kikau was.

betcats

Referee
Those stats show garner has the ability to be a threat. He will never be the threat kikau was no one would. We need to let go of trying get anyone to provide what kikau did for us there is no one that can do that for us.

As far starting sorro on the edge, cmon he’s done that for us and he was no threat there. He is good in the middle off the bench he isn’t a starter on the edge, not even close. Garner was good last night he improved quite a bit from the first week. Nrl.com had adjusted there stats as they do and garner now at 97m and 9 tackle breaks, crossed the line twice, unfortunate that neither were tries but a bit of luck and that would’ve been a great performance for any backrower. Give him some time he’s shown some improvement already.

Girds89

Bench
Those stats show garner has the ability to be a threat. He will never be the threat kikau was no one would. We need to let go of trying get anyone to provide what kikau did for us there is no one that can do that for us.

As far starting sorro on the edge, cmon he’s done that for us and he was no threat there. He is good in the middle off the bench he isn’t a starter on the edge, not even close. Garner was good last night he improved quite a bit from the first week. Nrl.com had adjusted there stats as they do and garner now at 97m and 9 tackle breaks, crossed the line twice, unfortunate that neither were tries but a bit of luck and that would’ve been a great performance for any backrower. Give him some time he’s shown some improvement already.

No one expects him to be kikau..

At the moment there is no one that can do what kikau did. But as I've said a lot I really think the club needs to go to the market for a couple gun kids in the 2nd row. I hope that's in their plans.

When is the last time soro started on an edge for us? Or even played there? I genuinely can't remember?

Must be over 2 years ago? He's had to fill in there during his time here but has he ever had a good crack at it? Nope. Bit of training there and I think he'd kill it. He had great leg speed and power.

You're writing him off as a starter on the edge based on what? He hasn't played there in I can't even remember how long.

Garner was good last night.

Again my issue isn't really with garner..

We lack x factor. We lack power and punch. Even at his absolute best I'm not sure garner is what we need if we want to go back to back. It's a long season and there's time to improve..

Bit it's just little things that people might miss which are obvious already.

Overall anyway it was great to get the win heading into the bye. The boys all really had a dig. Can't ask much more.

I guess in previous years if all the boys had a dig and were 100% committed you knew we'd win.. just to much strike power across the park..

This year I'm not sure the 100% commitment will be enough. We lack strike power.

Well need to evolve throughout the year to adjust to that.. whether that's Peachy comes in or we move players around, I'm not sure yet.

If south's were at full strength last night I'd say it would've been even closer than it was..

There was a lot of positives.. still a lot to work on

betcats

Referee
No one expects him to be kikau..

At the moment there is no one that can do what kikau did. But as I've said a lot I really think the club needs to go to the market for a couple gun kids in the 2nd row. I hope that's in their plans.

When is the last time soro started on an edge for us? Or even played there? I genuinely can't remember?

Must be over 2 years ago? He's had to fill in there during his time here but has he ever had a good crack at it? Nope. Bit of training there and I think he'd kill it. He had great leg speed and power.

You're writing him off as a starter on the edge based on what? He hasn't played there in I can't even remember how long.

Garner was good last night.

Again my issue isn't really with garner..

We lack x factor. We lack power and punch. Even at his absolute best I'm not sure garner is what we need if we want to go back to back. It's a long season and there's time to improve..

Bit it's just little things that people might miss which are obvious already.

Overall anyway it was great to get the win heading into the bye. The boys all really had a dig. Can't ask much more.

I guess in previous years if all the boys had a dig and were 100% committed you knew we'd win.. just to much strike power across the park..

This year I'm not sure the 100% commitment will be enough. We lack strike power.

Well need to evolve throughout the year to adjust to that.. whether that's Peachy comes in or we move players around, I'm not sure yet.

If south's were at full strength last night I'd say it would've been even closer than it was..

There was a lot of positives.. still a lot to work on

He’s started and played there off the bench quite a few times for us over origin period and filled in for injuries during games and when he first came here he was used on the edge mostly in firsts and reserve grade, he’s never looked a threat there, at the sharks when he got games he was on an edge, he’s found his spot in the middle let’s leave him. You can say im writing him off without seeing him play much on the edge for us but we’ve seen him play more games for us on an edge then we’ve seen garner play for us and you seem to be writing him off already.

Girds89

Bench
He’s started and played there off the bench quite a few times for us over origin period and filled in for injuries during games and when he first came here he was used on the edge mostly in firsts and reserve grade, he’s never looked a threat there, at the sharks when he got games he was on an edge, he’s found his spot in the middle let’s leave him. You can say im writing him off without seeing him play much on the edge for us but we’ve seen him play more games for us on an edge then we’ve seen garner play for us and you seem to be writing him off already.

I can't remember the last time Sorensen played there? He certainly hasn't started there in the last 2 years to my memory? You thrown out all the his filled in here and there but can you actually say when he last played there? I'd genuinely like to know. I'd watch a replay just to see how he went.

Garner has played on an edge his whole career.

Sorensen has had a handful of games there...

Not writing anyone off but I think with a solid crack at it there and training there he'd be really good. I've said 2 or 3 times on here I'd be happy for garner to fire.

I've praised him for the improvement last night.

As for soro and his previous time at 2nd row for us here and there....bit hard to do well there when you train all week to play middle and you just have to fill in for an injury here or there.

I'd like to see us get creative for that edge spot.

When garner comes off try soro or Spencer there just in the attacking 30m area.

So far in two games tago and Tito have seem no quality ball.. no space.

I find it hard that fans are just willing to 'cop' that because garner isn't kikau..

Me personally want to see that edge as dangerous as possible. Clean good ball for tago to do his thing.

There's no harm in putting soro there.... let him train there during the week.

And instead of moving a half spent Martin as a stop gap solution after 60 mins... try soro there throughout the game. See how he goes.

Give him 6 or so weeks to see if he can adjust to an edge. If it works and he can play as well on an edge as he has for us in the middle over the last two years than you beauty!! He is clearly very hard to tackle... the big boys struggle with his power and speed in the middle. He steamroll some half's.

If it doesn't work out than it's not like we don't half cover for the middle whilst he's playing on an edge.

Fish is a big minute player. Leota can almost go two 30min stints. Spencer is crying out for more mins... Kenny plays the middle forward role really well and keeps up our defence intensity..

I've got nothing against garner.

I just look at our side and think that's where we need a bit of strike power.. whether that's something of the bench or starting to early to tell..

The hooker situation I think will sort itself out once Ivan starts to trust Luke more.

Iamback

Coach
Who tho?

I said Peachy you shot that down.

I've suggested soro should start on an edge and we run with Luke, eiso, Spencer peach on the bench but people don't seem to like that idea.

The only option is to throw geyer in the deep end. Part of me thinks stuff it give it a crack. If you're good enough your old enough.

Mason teague getting a crack this weekend, he was a full 12 to 24 months behind mav in development so we will see how he handles the big time.

I didn't shoot it down, I said in another thread he should be in.

I still think we need to move Tago to the back row, Get someone to start over Kenny then Peachey for Salmon

To put all of the hopes on a player that will see 20 min game time only is an issue

Latest posts