What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Wabbits

That's my train of thought to..

People think we can just keep continuing to play panthers ball and win..

We need to develop and evolve.

Same old structures and plays..

south's were without a few of their guns last night..

Broncs without Walsh last week.

We won't be successful if we just expect to win playing the way we have the last 2 years.
We were only a little way off putting on a big score last night. Even against Brisbane we only let in two tries and had a number where we dropped the ball over the line and/or forward pass to an open outside option.

We win those games over the last few years but we didn’t always run away with games. For some reason all of our games with Brisbane are close etc.

Give it time before starting the panic.

Girds89

Bench
He played most of his career on the edge was never anything other than bog average, a bench or depth player. He’s been here since 2021 and played enough there for me to form the opinion he’s much better in the middle.

What?? Haha your talking crap now.

He's played more than half his career (nrl games) at the Panthers....

And 95% of his time here has been in the middle...

His time at the sharks was primarily off the bench where he spent maybe 25% of his time at backrow 75% in the middle and thats being nice....

In 2018 the sharks backrow had Lewis gallen and wade... all 80min players...
2019 gal and wade were still there. Capewell getting minutes in the backrow with nikora coming in
2020 nikora and wade almost played 80 every game. Sorensen came on mostly for jack Williams at lock or at prop...

He HAS not spent the 'most of his career' on an edge..that's just fact.

Since his time at cronulla he has developed into an international... his game has developed.. his fitness has developed and his professionalism has no doubt gone up a notch..

Whether he could make a go of 2nd row or not I don't know but to put a line through him from his bench minutes playing there at ccronulla and extremely limited opportunities here us just silly

Iamback

Coach
That's my train of thought to..

People think we can just keep continuing to play panthers ball and win..

We need to develop and evolve.

Same old structures and plays..

south's were without a few of their guns last night..

Broncs without Walsh last week.

We won't be successful if we just expect to win playing the way we have the last 2 years.

We have short wingers, Aren't the fastest backs - So we can't even cross field bomb if we need a try or kick for an marked winger. Backline

Edwards again won't out jump many people nor can tear a team apart - He is a must pick though

The 5 middles pick themselves.

Martin is a must pick but is limited in his attacking skill.

Add the settled halves in and we are talking 4 spots where you can tweek for some attack

Iamback

Coach
We were only a little way off putting on a big score last night. Even against Brisbane we only let in two tries and had a number where we dropped the ball over the line and/or forward pass to an open outside option.

We win those games over the last few years but we didn’t always run away with games. For some reason all of our games with Brisbane are close etc.

Give it time before starting the panic.

That is with 60% ball and territory to score 3 tries, Against a weakened Souths side.

There is 2016-2018 vibes around. Good enough for finals but don't have enough to trouble the great defences

betcats

Referee
What?? Haha your talking crap now.

He's played more than half his career (nrl games) at the Panthers....

And 95% of his time here has been in the middle...

His time at the sharks was primarily off the bench where he spent maybe 25% of his time at backrow 75% in the middle and thats being nice....

In 2018 the sharks backrow had Lewis gallen and wade... all 80min players...
2019 gal and wade were still there. Capewell getting minutes in the backrow with nikora coming in
2020 nikora and wade almost played 80 every game. Sorensen came on mostly for jack Williams at lock or at prop...

He HAS not spent the 'most of his career' on an edge..that's just fact.

Since his time at cronulla he has developed into an international... his game has developed.. his fitness has developed and his professionalism has no doubt gone up a notch..

Whether he could make a go of 2nd row or not I don't know but to put a line through him from his bench minutes playing there at ccronulla and extremely limited opportunities here us just silly

Oh yeah everyone’s an 80 minute player and never injured but I’m talking crap. He’s been knocking around first and reserves since 2014. He’s played a ton of backrow in that time, mostly backrow whenever I’ve seen him in firsts before us. . He was playing backrow in 2019 for the jets. Most of his sharks minutes were on edge. Penrith has him listed as a second rower on our website.

Girds89

Bench
We have short wingers, Aren't the fastest backs - So we can't even cross field bomb if we need a try or kick for an marked winger. Backline

Edwards again won't out jump many people nor can tear a team apart - He is a must pick though

The 5 middles pick themselves.

Martin is a must pick but is limited in his attacking skill.

Add the settled halves in and we are talking 4 spots where you can tweek for some attack

Yeah agreed

Girds89

Bench
Oh yeah everyone’s an 80 minute player and never injured but I’m talking crap. He’s been knocking around first and reserves since 2014. He’s played a ton of backrow in that time, mostly backrow whenever I’ve seen him in firsts before us. . He was playing backrow in 2019 for the jets. Most of his sharks minutes were on edge. Penrith has him listed as a second rower on our website.
Mate he started playing regular fg/getting a sniff in 2018... before that he was a nobody.

He didn't get a ton of backrow Time at the sharks in fg... just didn't.. there backrow in the time he was there was full of blokes that played huge huge minutes.

Yep penrith has him listed as a 2nd rower on our website hahah, didnt realise that. Kinda proves a point a bit .. his not a 2nd rower according to you but I'd say he is worth a shot there...

I mean its been 9 years since he was knocking around fg as a backrower....... haha.

Yeo transformed from a centre to the most elite lock in the comp in half that time.

Chn was a centre to nz backrower in that time..

I mean... 3 years is a long time... let alone 4 or 5..

Blokes develop.. he's worth a chance there.

No it's not a knock on garner.... it's more a let's get as much attacking flair into the team as possible.

betcats

Referee
Mate he started playing regular fg/getting a sniff in 2018... before that he was a nobody.

He didn't get a ton of backrow Time at the sharks in fg... just didn't.. there backrow in the time he was there was full of blokes that played huge huge minutes.

Yep penrith has him listed as a 2nd rower on our website hahah, didnt realise that. Kinda proves a point a bit .. his not a 2nd rower according to you but I'd say he is worth a shot there...

I mean its been 9 years since he was knocking around fg as a backrower....... haha.

Yeo transformed from a centre to the most elite lock in the comp in half that time.

Chn was a centre to nz backrower in that time..

I mean... 3 years is a long time... let alone 4 or 5..

Blokes develop.. he's worth a chance there.

No it's not a knock on garner.... it's more a let's get as much attacking flair into the team as possible.

Now you really are talking shit. I never said he’s not a second rower, I said he’s not a good one, much better as a bench prop. My whole argument is he’s played plenty of back row and never looked very good there. 9 years since he played back row but the club listed him as one when he signed in 2021 fmd what crap you come up with.

betcats

Referee
And sorro has developed from a depth forward playing mostly edge to a very good prop. That’s his development right there. As far what he could do if we moved him back to the edge, that’s a matter of opinion, based on what I’ve seen from him on an edge is he’s much better continuing in the role he’s been excellent in for us rather than expecting him to start on the edge and provide some kind of X factor. I could be wrong and you could be right but there’s really no way to prove it either way.

Girds89

Bench
And sorro has developed from a depth forward playing mostly edge to a very good prop. That’s his development right there. As far what he could do if we moved him back to the edge, that’s a matter of opinion, based on what I’ve seen from him on an edge is he’s much better continuing in the role he’s been excellent in for us rather than expecting him to start on the edge and provide some kind of X factor. I could be wrong and you could be right but there’s really no way to prove it either way.

I'm happy with that mate. It's an opinion on whether he'd make a go of 2nd row or not.

I disagree that he's spent most of his career in the backrow...

More than half of his fg career has been at the Panthers and that's been in the middle.. that's just a fact.

Whether you choose to think he played more middle or edge in his fg time at the sharks is up to you..

Honestly I can't really remember but sharks backrow at that time played huge huge mins.. that's just a fact too. Wade gal and Lewis were 80 min players.. nikora is an 80 minute player.. capewell was a backrower there...

As you say in your post we won't know whether he can provide some impact or not from an edge..

Imo given how much he has improved its worth giving him a go there. I'd start with a 20min stint there. Give him 5 or 6 weeks with half his time on the field spent between prop and an edge... let him get used to the position build the combos and than I'll judge.

We have the cover for the middle.

Leota is a 50-55min player these days.
Fish 60
Spencer should be getting 40.
Kenny plays the middle prop role really well and I love the idea of him at prop but Luke on at the same time... let's Luke run and be creative but still have a hooker there for good clean service if Luke runs and causes havoc..

We have cover and can cover the middle role very well. I'd argue we don't lose anything with Kenny at prop... most his runs are very very good in that role.. he normally makes 10+ meters..

It's the edge that needs work.

Say Martin goes down injured at training next week and is out for the year?? What than? Garner and salmon??

Soro should be spending 50% of training on the edge. Getting reps up.. building combos..

snickers007

Juniors
Honestly I can't really remember but sharks backrow at that time played huge huge mins.. that's just a fact too. Wade gal and Lewis were 80 min players.. nikora is an 80 minute player.. capewell was a backrower there...

37 games for the Sharks
20 from the bench.
10 at Second Row
7 at Lock

Iamback

Coach
I get it now. You think it is the height or speed of our players that is causing us issues.

We have shrunk in the off-season.

We have lost in the past 2 seasons

An Australian Centre/half - who is more creative then his replacement. Faster and yes Taller

A NSW hooker, again faster around the ruck again more creative and faster than who has replaced him.

A QLD edge back rower. Replaced by Salmon who is slower and shorter.

Then of course Kikau who was taller and more creative then Garner/Hosking.

So you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, The 2023 squad is far less skillful, slower than the previous years. Yes shorter too but that is an issue now trying to find a new attack

So hence need to come up with new ways to score

If we had tall wingers, Then could do what Cowboys do with Feldt and have a decent tactic to kick and come up with some tries in the air.

Speed out wide you could spread it and go around teams.

Salmon, Martin, Garner etc don't offload. Hopgood last night showed that can work

That is where we sit now, trying to get the best in attack with way less than we have had

WestyLife

First Grade
We have lost in the past 2 seasons

An Australian Centre/half - who is more creative then his replacement. Faster and yes Taller

A NSW hooker, again faster around the ruck again more creative and faster than who has replaced him.

A QLD edge back rower. Replaced by Salmon who is slower and shorter.

Then of course Kikau who was taller and more creative then Garner/Hosking.

So you are just arguing for the sake of arguing, The 2023 squad is far less skillful, slower than the previous years. Yes shorter too but that is an issue now trying to find a new attack

So hence need to come up with new ways to score

If we had tall wingers, Then could do what Cowboys do with Feldt and have a decent tactic to kick and come up with some tries in the air.

Speed out wide you could spread it and go around teams.

Salmon, Martin, Garner etc don't offload. Hopgood last night showed that can work

That is where we sit now, trying to get the best in attack with way less than we have had

For speed Turuva and Tago seem alright.

Iamback

Coach
For speed Turuva and Tago seem alright.

Alright yes but would they beat say Manu and Tupou to the ball if Nathan kicked to a corner.

That is blistering speed, We aren't slow but aren't exactly speedy

That is what seems to be missing the ability to put something out that the opposition isn't prepared for or can't stop