What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Wabbits

Kilkenny

Coach
I haven't re-watched the game yet to see what was said.

the 40/20 should of been given.
Garner's 2nd no try was worth a look. Looked very close
Impossible for the touchie to make a definitive decision, he was 30-40 metres back when the ball crossed the line. From where I was sitting in western Stand it was a metre inside the 20, the bunker should have intervened.

Iamback

Coach
Impossible for the touchie to make a definitive decision, he was 30-40 metres back when the ball crossed the line. From where I was sitting in western Stand it was a metre inside the 20, the bunker should have intervened.

There lies the issue with the bunker, Someone is wacked off the ball they jump in. Yet when there is a 30 sec stoppage they can't or won't look at it?

Girds89

Bench
I haven't had a chance to see it again but that ball went back so not so black and white.

At the game which takes the TV pictures they kept showing the offload. That would say the producer thinks it is close to continue to show it.

There try was a definite pass off the ground.

Garner lost it on the ground..they call them a knock on 9 times out of 10

Both decisions were wrong.

betcats

Referee
The second no try on garner was a bad play the ball from Kenny that got pulled up so the bunker couldn’t look at it without a challenge because technically it’s the play before garner scored. That was a nice play by garner that’s what we need him to do, pick his moments and come up with some tries, he’s had a decent try scoring rate during his career with a shit tigers team.

The first no try was disappointing he knocked on but really it was great defensively by latrell to strip it and prevent that, the encouraging thing for us was garner ran a great line into a hole, 9 times out of 10 he scores there. Unfortunately tonight was the tenth time when a good defensive play stopped it.

hindy111

Post Whore
Much better performance overall. Garner much better, Martin was very good. Luai looked a lot better as well. We should’ve iced that with a field goal with 10 to go.

Clearys kicking has been so good this year it was as good as I’ve seen tonight, got rorted a 49/20 by a shit touchy.

Soni Luke, the guy is a super talented attacker. We need to play him big minutes to let the team adjust to his style cause he is a dominant running hooker with ball playing and kicking, adding him to our attack could be the difference this year.

Hmm Martin seems to be a mistake machine at the moment.

Iamback

Coach
There try was a definite pass off the ground.

Garner lost it on the ground..they call them a knock on 9 times out of 10

Both decisions were wrong.

At the ground with the few actual replays I saw it looked like he was trying to offload it.
If so it makes it a pass and the bunker can't jump on to it. I will check out the replay today and give a better opinion

hindy111

Post Whore
This is how I saw it.

Penrith battered them. They destroyed the pack and where dominant but they couldn't score easily. I thought it should of been 4-0 a halftime and no Idea how Garner try was given.
The dominance was huge and the only thing that stopped it from being a blow out was Penrith being flat in attack. It looked clunky.

Souths where missing 6 forwards but only 2 or 3 make the side I think? They where very solid in defense. And tried all game.

Garner was much better but had butter fingers. Turuva is ok but no May.
The guys who impressed me mostly was Tago and Toò. Both where great.

Spencer is a beast but he isn't used enough in attacking moves. Just as a batter ram. I'd be planning some set moves where he is the man used to get the try.

Attack will come slowly, defense might be better then last season. Yes they have come back to the field but some of that would also have to do with mental. 3 grand finals in a row. It is easier said then done to be their mentaly.

MugaB

Coach
This is how I saw it.

Penrith battered them. They destroyed the pack and where dominant but they couldn't score easily. I thought it should of been 4-0 a halftime and no Idea how Garner try was given.
The dominance was huge and the only thing that stopped it from being a blow out was Penrith being flat in attack. It looked clunky.

Souths where missing 6 forwards but only 2 or 3 make the side I think? They where very solid in defense. And tried all game.

Garner was much better but had butter fingers. Turuva is ok but no May.
The guys who impressed me mostly was Tago and Toò. Both where great.

Spencer is a beast but he isn't used enough in attacking moves. Just as a batter ram. I'd be planning some set moves where he is the man used to get the try.

Attack will come slowly, defense might be better then last season. Yes they have come back to the field but some of that would also have to do with mental. 3 grand finals in a row. It is easier said then done to be their mentaly.
Attack is pretty average, they have no problems marching up the field and holding onto possession for long periods of time, just can't ice the opportunities, garner was a hell of a lot better, but probably could do with some gloves

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
The intensity was there last night. Much better than the two previous games. But once again we left points out there. Through missed opportunities and poor handling.
Martin.

2023 is now equal to 2019 as the our worst offence in our opening two games. 28 points.
2022, (without Nathan) 48 points.
2021,52 points
2020, 52 points
2019, 28 points
I will add for some fairness, the opposition this season in the Broncos and Souths are tougher than previous seasons. But in both games we missed opportunities.
I have always said. In the close games missed opportunities and what ifs. Stand out more.

I would be interested to know who is our attacking coach. Wallace or Gardiner?

It would have been interesting to see when Luke would have come on last night if Kenny didn't need a HIA. Luke ended up playing about 46 minutes in two stints. Going forward I would like to see him up around the 45-50 minutes. We are clearly a more dangerous team in attack when he is on.

I thought Yeo was our best player last night. With Edwards and Luai not far behind. Nice to see a bit of craftiness from Luai.
Garner was better and Turuva got through plenty of work.
Very few that didn't perform last night.
I hope Cleary is ok.
If we can remain relatively injury free and the motivation is there. We definitely have more improvement in us.

Last edited:
Last week we had 60% territory
54% possession

Tonight similar numbers though you through in

41 tackles inside 20 for us
11 for them.

It was pure domination in every category bar the scoreboard
It felt like forever we had the ball inside the 20 and our attack needs really work. I mean they had no forward pack so we should have had a 22 point lead.
Way too complacent and nearly got bit on the arse. Park level stuff from Cleary/Kenny not setting up for a field goal on 1 of the 14 occasions we were dead in front with >15 to go.

Otherwise thought we were pretty good. Could’ve won by 20+. South’s missing most of their pack though which helped us dominate the middle.
I think Ivan might be considering Liam on the left. He seemed a better fit there and I believe Luai prefers him there. Garner needs to get up to it in NSW Cup . I wonder if Kikau is our version of Sterling? Big shoes to fill.

betcats

Referee
The intensity was there last night. Much better than the two previous games. But once again we left points out there. Through missed opportunities and poor handling.
Martin.

2023 is now equal to 2019 as the our worst offence in our opening two games. 28 points.
2022, (without Nathan) 48 points.
2021,52 points
2020, 52 points
2019, 28 points
I will add for some fairness, the opposition this season in the Broncos and Souths are tougher than previous seasons. But in both games we missed opportunities.
I have always said. In the close games missed opportunities and what ifs. Stand out more.

I would be interested to know who is our attacking coach. Wallace or Gardiner?

It would have been interesting to see when Luke would have come on last night if Kenny didn't need a HIA. Luke ended up playing about 46 minutes in two stints. Going forward I would like to see him up around the 45-50 minutes. We are clearly a more dangerous team in attack when he is on.

I thought Yeo was our best player last night. With Edwards and Luai not far behind. Nice to see a bit of craftiness from Luai.
Garner was better and Turuva got through plenty of work.
Very few that didn't perform last night.
I hope Cleary is ok.

Wallace is doing the defence so I assume is there for the attack.

hindy111

Post Whore
Anyhows I picked Salmon for a big season. What's people think? He made some ripper tackles last night. He just turned 24.
I think he needs more minutes.

soc123_au

Staff member
Anyhows I picked Salmon for a big season. What's people think? He made some ripper tackles last night. He just turned 24.
He has looked pretty decent for the most part. I dont know that he is up to standard for a starter though.

Iamback

Coach

Not his fault but we have too many plodders and he will be the one to miss out

Iamback

Coach
It felt like forever we had the ball inside the 20 and our attack needs really work. I mean they had no forward pack so we should have had a 22 point lead.

I think Ivan might be considering Liam on the left. He seemed a better fit there and I believe Luai prefers him there. Garner needs to get up to it in NSW Cup . I wonder if Kikau is our version of Sterling? Big shoes to fill.

It was always going to take time but if we don't dominate possession we will be in huge trouble

betcats

Referee

I like salmon. He will be stuck with limited minutes all things going well but he will get chances for more with head knocks and injuries in game. He runs and hits hard, doesn’t miss his defensive assignments, he’s a decent bench option for us.

OMG- just went o to the wabbits page- they are going off deluxe regarding the lost ball where Tago scored saying it went forward but if you look closely and compare it to the markings on the ground - the ball went back ( flat at worst) but it didn't go forward. however they aren't whining about the the try the scored off a pass that was blatantly off the ground from a tackled player. and funny how they blame the ref.....

MugaB

Coach
OMG- just went o to the wabbits page- they are going off deluxe regarding the lost ball where Tago scored saying it went forward but if you look closely and compare it to the markings on the ground - the ball went back ( flat at worst) but it didn't go forward. however they aren't whining about the the try the scored off a pass that was blatantly off the ground from a tackled player. and funny how they blame the ref.....
Fkem they are a bunch of whingers... i heard today on the radio that folk in the crowd said that rooster kid, said some bad stuff, but it wasnt overly racial, just another example of whinging thin skinned lattrell, its almost as if it was manufactured to bring about hype... the press conferences turned into puss when asked about the halftime incident.. no one wanted to talk about the game itself, just crapping on about civil behaviour, i hope that kid gets a life ban, then posts what really happened just to show how these whinny these precious athletes are

Last edited:

Latest posts