What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Penrith

Marvellous what the right players hitting their potential and form at the right time do for most average coaches.
Its interesting how the narrative turned around so quickly with this group of players; if you go back to the start of the ‘20 season then most of the ‘good’ judges had us at the bottom of the pack, with our spine labelled the worst in the league by NRL.com. Fast forward 2 years and every player in the Panthers squad (some may argue with the possible exception of Lenui) is playing much better football than they did 2 years ago; that’s on the coach.

The irony is that the media talk about the Dragons to start ‘22 is much more positive than the Panthers at the same time in ‘20. I’m not saying you will make the GF, but it could be an exciting year for the dragons and a real chance for Hook to show what he can do.

Dragon David

First Grade
They will need to be right up there in the fitness levels to manage it. One thing that impressed me with Hook when he was with us was his ability to have the players be high energy for 80 minutes. I watched you guys in the charity shield and enjoyed the lol@souffs but didn't notice that much your fitness levels. Does Hook have them where they need to be to play a fast game in the middle?
All I can say is that I feel Hook has improved his players and has them prepared to play quick and hard footy. There is a lot of confidence in the side and they are playing as a team which is what's required to obtain positive results.

Whatever the result is tomorrow night, we will know after the game if the Dragons have it in them to at least make the final 8 because your team is currently the yardstick to measure our prospective season.

Gareth67

First Grade
Hook must get into his players heads that teamwork is what is required at this point of the season , to have any chance of gaining a semi berth at seasons end .

We may lose a few games however the losses will be worth it if the boys are then able to play knowing that they can depend upon one another in defense .

The Panthers will be a tough proposition on Friday and for the Dragons to come home with the bacon , then every aspect of their game must be at its best .

Dragons by 2 😇

roach_83

Juniors
What's the go with de belin maybe dropping back to the bench, he's there best defender in the middle. Hope it's not true.

blacksafake

First Grade
Back in 2011 Hook wrote "Run hard, Tackle hard" on a post it note and has been running that as a game plan ever since. To be fair, it's been reasonably successful, but I think you will need more tomorrow night.

One of keys will be if our fill in 7 can duplicate last weeks kicking game. If he can, I think we beat you, if he tries step outside the scope and get clever then you guys might have a good night.
This same game plan has worked well for Bennett for decades.
It is really a simple game.

This Year?

Immortal
I don't remember any Panthers posters coming onto to the game day thread when we played them last year. Good omen, hope the Penrith players are as nervous / uncertain as their fans.
They aren't. The Panthers are at the peak of their powers and are riding the crest of glory. The fans that liked or hated Hook when he was there are just here to give their wisdom. It will take nothing short of a miracle for Saints to win tomorrow. For me the game is more about honoring Norm Provan the right way.

Hoping for a great game of footy.

mickeylane

Bench
I’ll say it again on match day.. we need to play them out wide and just work very hard to hold them in the forwards where there pack is much more mobile than ours.. I’m certain we have it over them out wide.. need big defensive games from
Sua, JDB, bird, Hunt, Blocker….Mbye to be X factor for us

Crush

Coach
I’ll say it again on match day.. we need to play them out wide and just work very hard to hold them in the forwards where there pack is much more mobile than ours.. I’m certain we have it over them out wide.. need big defensive games from
Sua, JDB, bird, Hunt, Blocker….Mbye to be X factor for us
Will To’o and Ravalawa be on the same side of the field? If those two run at each other it could cause an earth tremor capable of doing structural damage to the Taj across the road.

Cazbah Steeler

Juniors
What's the go with de belin maybe dropping back to the bench, he's there best defender in the middle. Hope it's not true.
Totally agree with you, however I am happy to hear that Sims will be on the bench to replace Gosiewski. Fingers crossed the rain stays away and there is a good crowd

Iamback

Coach
They aren't. The Panthers are at the peak of their powers and are riding the crest of glory. The fans that liked or hated Hook when he was there are just here to give their wisdom. It will take nothing short of a miracle for Saints to win tomorrow. For me the game is more about honoring Norm Provan the right way.

Hoping for a great game of footy.

Hook will get the side fit and play the kids. Which sets the side up for the future.
whether he is the coach to get the side to the next step is the debate we had as Panthers fans for years.

Walpole

Juniors
Hook will get the side fit and play the kids. Which sets the side up for the future.
whether he is the coach to get the side to the next step is the debate we had as Panthers fans for years.
I think that's the thing that given us a bit of cause for optimism - the young blokes coming through are a talented group and thankfully Hook is willing to play the likes of Amone, Sloan and Sullivan.

Iamback

Coach
I think that's the thing that given us a bit of cause for optimism - the young blokes coming through are a talented group and thankfully Hook is willing to play the likes of Amone, Sloan and Sullivan.

My thoughts were. The Premiership was coming with Hook here that Gus was the hinderance.

So it was no surprise to me that we got better once Gus left.
He will play them and let them do their thing. Whether he is still around for when the side pushes Top 4 is the question but the side will be set up for someone to take advantage of