What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Penrith

Draginzaaar

Bench
Need to play the game in thier half kicks into corners let them come 90 to score points ...... So good kicking game , cut mistakes right down , then maybe a chance ......
Amone's kicking game is not great, so they put heaps of pressure on Hunt. When Mybe comes on, it will give us an extra option and a left footed one at that.

thebigredv

First Grade
Bragging rights are with the Panthers. They have the trophy we should want, and they have the wood over us.

If our players have the same belief in themselves and their coach as most of the fans then we can give the Panthers a run for their money. Our team has to prove it to us.

I want the win but an 80 minute effort, high resolve and creative attack will suffice.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Bragging rights are with the Panthers. They have the trophy we should want, and they have the wood over us.

If our players have the same belief in themselves and their coach as most of the fans then we can give the Panthers a run for their money. Our team has to prove it to us.

I want the win but an 80 minute effort, high resolve and creative attack will suffice.
Well said, my thoughts exactly. The dragons were never going to win every game this year, and this is a tough one. As @thebigredv said "I want the win but an 80 minute effort, high resolve and creative attack will suffice". I would add good linespeed and committed defence! Good luck Dragons!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I suppose in a way we are lucky that we play Penrith only once this year in the regular season.

This being the case, the players have to play the game on Friday as if it is a "finals" match and don't give an inch and just play hard to win. That's all I ask of them.
I'm generally happy with our team selection but it says something about our depth of experienced and available talent that the very ordinary Josh Kerr is again in our starting 17. IMO Billy Burns can't come back quickly enough and Jack De B would then start at lock but become part of the prop rotation at least until Woods or McGuire is available again.

Crush

Coach

For the past couple of years I have just looked for green shoots, been satisfied with 80 minute efforts etc.
But that phase is over, it’s time for us to win.
We are playing Penrith without their best player and playmaker at our home ground very early in the season. This is a game that we should win. A loss is a missed opportunity.

BBTB

Juniors
I'm generally happy with our team selection but it says something about our depth of experienced and available talent that the very ordinary Josh Kerr is again in our starting 17. IMO Billy Burns can't come back quickly enough and Jack De B would then start at lock but become part of the prop rotation at least until Woods or McGuire is available again.
Yes, can't understand why Kerr keeps his place in team.
Plodder at best....

soc123_au

Staff member
Our execution of Hooks game plan will be crucial. Hook knows what needs to be done to beat the Panthers it's up to the players to execute to perfection our attack and defence. Few mistakes with dropped balls, penalties, six agains and play in their zone more than ours.
Back in 2011 Hook wrote "Run hard, Tackle hard" on a post it note and has been running that as a game plan ever since. To be fair, it's been reasonably successful, but I think you will need more tomorrow night.

One of keys will be if our fill in 7 can duplicate last weeks kicking game. If he can, I think we beat you, if he tries step outside the scope and get clever then you guys might have a good night.

Dragon David

First Grade
Back in 2011 Hook wrote "Run hard, Tackle hard" on a post it note and has been running that as a game plan ever since. To be fair, it's been reasonably successful, but I think you will need more tomorrow night.

One of keys will be if our fill in 7 can duplicate last weeks kicking game. If he can, I think we beat you, if he tries step outside the scope and get clever then you guys might have a good night.
Your team has been trained to do things on the quick - run fast in both attack and defence - get as close as possible to the oppositions' try line with every raid - don't give an inch by defending with line speed to prevent the opposition gaining too much ground and snuffle out ball movement. When a team is well drilled like your team, the team becomes a machine.

Whether or not the Dragons have a way of stopping your "machine" is questionable but I am sure that the players will be giving it their all to counter everything your team does.

soc123_au

Staff member
Whether or not the Dragons have a way of stopping your "machine" is questionable but I am sure that the players will be giving it their all to counter everything your team does.
They will need to be right up there in the fitness levels to manage it. One thing that impressed me with Hook when he was with us was his ability to have the players be high energy for 80 minutes. I watched you guys in the charity shield and enjoyed the lol@souffs but didn't notice that much your fitness levels. Does Hook have them where they need to be to play a fast game in the middle?