What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v The Northern Beaches Scum

Kilkenny

Coach
CHN has a significant groin injury which to repair requires surgery. They have been rehabing him as best they can to keep him available this season as any groin surgery is season ending.

Managing players carrying significant injuries is a balancing act and judgement call. You are probably not always going to get it right and let's face it players want to play so if you ask there opinion there response is more often that not I am good to play.

There are others carrying significant injuries that it obvious.

CHN has a significant groin injury which to repair requires surgery. They have been rehabing him as best they can to keep him available this season as any groin surgery is season ending.

Managing players carrying significant injuries is a balancing act and judgement call. You are probably not always going to get it right and let's face it players want to play so if you ask there opinion there response is more often that not I am good to play.

Risking CHN is a strange one seeing its one position we can cover easily

franklin2323

Immortal
Maloney was god awful last week, how did he go this week? He is in the worst form ive ever seen him. If he is hurt rest him because he is a liability. That was obvious after last week, its just such poor coaching.

How do we get combinations if we don't play him with Cleary? 5 weeks to go so running out of time. It is how we play in Sept that matters

franklin2323

Immortal

If those injuries can come good before finals while playing then you'd have to Atleast go the way of playing them until top 4 chances are gone fullstop

betcats

Referee
How do we get combinations if we don't play him with Cleary? 5 weeks to go so running out of time. It is how we play in Sept that matters

How does playing f**king terrible footy build combinations? I mean I bet conceding 50 points was really great for them lol.

It’s not like Nathan and Maloney didn’t spend all of origin together.

And Dallin got moved from Fb anyway, he’s been playing with Whare for years we didn’t need to risk him to build that combination, it makes zero sense.

A few comments ago you were trying to take the responsibility for picking hurt players off Griffin now you are trying to justify it, is he a relative of yours? Has he ever made a mistake in your opinion?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
A few comments ago you were trying to take the responsibility for picking hurt players off Griffin now you are trying to justify it, is he a relative of yours? Has he ever made a mistake in your opinion?

I was merely stating how selecting a team works. Every decision from the team comes back to either Gus or Hook in the end.

Every coach makes mistakes. So yes but we won't know playing injured guys is a mistake until after the season is over

Exsilium

First Grade
If I remember correctly CHN has a bad groin which he chose to play on with. Surgery was an option but he elected against it.

The medical staff form an opinion for the coach and the players to make a decision.

Griffin in the past has said that he’s let the players decide if they’re fit and right to go.

And on goes the circus. What next?

Griffin stands in circle surrounded by players at training

“Griffin confronted at training”

Griffin eats a steak.

“Griffin enjoys his last meal at the top”

Griffin walks his dog

“Crisis at the Panthers. Every dog has its day”

franklin2323

Immortal
If I remember correctly CHN has a bad groin which he chose to play on with. Surgery was an option but he elected against it.

The medical staff form an opinion for the coach and the players to make a decision.

Griffin in the past has said that he’s let the players decide if they’re fit and right to go.

And on goes the circus. What next?

Griffin stands in circle surrounded by players at training

“Griffin confronted at training”

Griffin eats a steak.

“Griffin enjoys his last meal at the top”

Griffin walks his dog

“Crisis at the Panthers. Every dog has its day”

Exactly right. It all comes back to the coach in the end but the coach can't know all. so players and medical advice is sought it is up to the coach to take it.

If we finish top 4. Hard to argue against the decision. If fall away and lose week 1 of the finals it was a bad call.

Neither has happened yet so it is only opinion ATM if it was a bad or not

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Some of the hysteria about Hook I find quite sad and quite amusing (in equal amounts)

Noone of this forum has access to information first hand (all the rumours are 2nd, third, and at times

even fourth hand)

We are all punters, nothing more than that. To pretend to be anymore than that is again pretty sad, a

as well as being rather funny.

Soon I am expecting soon to be told what Hook's lastest bowel motion was, and what he's had for breakfast.

It could be called 'Hook a gram' Or 'Anthony's TV'

If Hook leaves in the off season So Be It.

If he stays for 2019 So Be IT

OldPanther

Coach
Exactly right. It all comes back to the coach in the end but the coach can't know all. so players and medical advice is sought it is up to the coach to take it.

If we finish top 4. Hard to argue against the decision. If fall away and lose week 1 of the finals it was a bad call.

Neither has happened yet so it is only opinion ATM if it was a bad or not

I'll take this approach in good faith.

OldPanther

Coach
Some of the hysteria about Hook I find quite sad and quite amusing (in equal amounts)

Noone of this forum has access to information first hand (all the rumours are 2nd, third, and at times

even fourth hand)

We are all punters, nothing more than that. To pretend to be anymore than that is again pretty sad, a

as well as being rather funny.

Soon I am expecting soon to be told what Hook's lastest bowel motion was, and what he's had for breakfast.

It could be called 'Hook a gram' Or 'Anthony's TV'

If Hook leaves in the off season So Be It.

If he stays for 2019 So Be IT

Talk it down all you want but Daz is very well respected here. He's earned that.

mxlegend99

Referee
I was merely stating how selecting a team works. Every decision from the team comes back to either Gus or Hook in the end.

Every coach makes mistakes. So yes but we won't know playing injured guys is a mistake until after the season is over

If Maloney has 4 injuries right now he should be rested. His form is terrible and it's better for the team to give him say 2 or 3 weeks off and come back at much higher standard going into the finals then it is to have him struggle through the season hoping it comes good.

We need him at 100% for the finals. A fit May is going to be better than an injured Maloney. And a rested and healthy Maloney will be an improvement on a busted one also.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Talk it down all you want but Daz is very well respected here. He's earned that.

I'm not attempting to discredit Daz I also know him.

What I'm saying here is we are all dealing with knowledge that is (at it's very best 2nd, 3rd, 4th hand knowledge or opinion). Which is open to the bias of those repeating it.

betcats

Referee
Ivan got fired for picking injured players according g to franklin but hook doesn’t need to take responsibility for the same thing? Please.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ivan got fired for picking injured players according g to franklin but hook doesn’t need to take responsibility for the same thing? Please.

That's not quite the way I heard it.

(there is subject to the bias of the person repeating this information too)

Cleary was let go because he 'over-rid' the opinion of medical staffs.

At this stage there is NO knowledge that this has occured with Hook.

betcats

Referee
That's not quite the way I heard it.

(there is subject to the bias of the person repeating this information too)

Cleary was let go because he 'over-rid' the opinion of medical staffs.

At this stage there is NO knowledge that this has occured with Hook.

I’m not saying it has happened. But franklin and others constantly insinuate I judge hook more harshly because “I hate him” which is bull shit, I don’t know him at all and don’t judge him any more harshly than our previous coach who’s head I called for a few times in 2012 and 2015 the same way I am with Griffin. The only difference is Ivan took over at the clubs lowest point in its nrl history at least in my 30 years, and he actually had a successful with a deep finals run.

Yet Griffin does similar things that Ivan and franklin and others defends it and act like I’m being ridiculous for bagging it. Its not me who is biased. When franklin mentioned the injured players thing re Cleary my response was “well then maybe he did need to go”. I didn’t try and defend it or blame the players or question franklins honesty and integrity thats for sure. But hooks defenders will defend him for things they bag other coaches for and then turn around and call me bias, its so dumb.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I’m not saying it has happened. But franklin and others constantly insinuate I judge hook more harshly because “I hate him” which is bull shit, I don’t know him at all and don’t judge him any more harshly than our previous coach who’s head I called for a few times in 2012 and 2015 the same way I am with Griffin. The only difference is Ivan took over at the clubs lowest point in its nrl history at least in my 30 years, and he actually had a successful with a deep finals run.

Yet Griffin does similar things that Ivan and franklin and others defends it and act like I’m being ridiculous for bagging it. Its not me who is bias.

I'm only re-repeating what I've heard. I have no idea whether it is true or not.

I'll be honest I liked Ivan as a coach in the same way I like Hook. They are / were the coaches of the footy team which I support. Both coaches had / has faults and positives. I believe it's almost impossible to judge both of them side by side. Especially since differing teams, players, cicumstances are involved.

I have little knowledge about what makes a good or bad coach either. The only measure i have is wins on the NRL ladder.

I do remember though seeing a presser late in the season 2015 (Taylor was the captain) where Cleary looked exhausted and at the end of his rope. The season was still alive, but Cleary declared that the team was not able to push for the finals (basically saying they were done). I can remember the shocked look on Taylor's face after this was said.

All in that being said this is my mantra.

Because of my lack of knowledge or even inner workings of coaching staffs. I tend to suuport whatever coach is installed.

OldPanther

Coach
I'm only re-repeating what I've heard. I have no idea whether it is true or not.

I'll be honest I liked Ivan as a coach in the same way I like Hook. They are / were the coaches of the footy team which I support. Both coaches had / has faults and positives. I believe it's almost impossible to judge both of them side by side. Especially since differing teams, players, cicumstances are involved.

I have little knowledge about what makes a good or bad coach either. The only measure i have is wins on the NRL ladder.

I do remember though seeing a presser late in the season 2015 (Taylor was the captain) where Cleary looked exhausted and at the end of his rope. The season was still alive, but Cleary declared that the team was not able to push for the finals (basically saying they were done). I can remember the shocked look on Taylor's face after this was said.

All in that being said this is my mantra.

Because of my lack of knowledge or even inner workings of coaching staffs. I tend to suuport whatever coach is installed.

I suspect that is why Ivan was fired and the Cleary gamily would have to realise that Ivan was the one in the wrong not Gus. Not necessarily in the wrong but I'm sure my point is clear.