What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 - Rabbitohs vs Roosters. Friday 10th of August 7:55pm

Biggest positive for me is that Burns, Kennar, Fui and Hunt all went well. They should be proud of their efforts. They didn’t cost us at all.
Amazing, how with four players in our three-quarter line who would be playing reserve grade if GI, AJ, Graham and Jennings were there, performed so well. They still managed to maintain the same attacking structure, for the most part. Most teams first choice three-quarter lines can't do that.

Full credit to the Roosters, they got the win even though they lost their fullback for the last 12 minutes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We had a lot of errors and this cost us massively. Sam, whilst I can't fault his effort had feet for hands tonight.

Despite this we managed to come within a whisker of victory. If that bouncing ball hadn't have taken a big leg break just before Braidon's second kick, he scores under the posts. If the rest of the game plays out the same, we win by 2.

All in all, very proud of the boys. It was a massive effort under very adverse conditions, against a team that is a genuine contender.

If anything, I am more confident of our chances this year after that performance in those circumstances.

The big question now is though, if AJ is out long term, who is our fullback?

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Proud of the boys,can't wait until we meet these pricks in the semis at some time.
I love this team to death and their winners any day of the week... bring on those ponies!

Itsamansgame

Juniors
Amazing, how with four players in our three-quarter line who would be playing reserve grade if GI, AJ, Graham and Jennings were there, performed so well. They still managed to maintain the same attacking structure, for the most part. Most teams first choice three-quarter lines can't do that.

Full credit to the Roosters, they got the win even though they lost their fullback for the last 12 minutes. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We had a lot of errors and this cost us massively. Sam, whilst I can't fault his effort had feet for hands tonight.

Despite this we managed to come within a whisker of victory. If that bouncing ball hadn't have taken a big leg break just before Braidon's second kick, he scores under the posts. If the rest of the game plays out the same, we win by 2.

All in all, very proud of the boys. It was a massive effort under very adverse conditions, against a team that is a genuine contender.

If anything, I am more confident of our chances this year after that performance in those circumstances.

The big question now is though, if AJ is out long term, who is our fullback?
Get Gagai to earn his keep, throw him to fullback!

C'mon guys,

Let's not eat our own.

We had a courageous loss, under massive adversity tonight, and with a whisker of luck we may have got the win.

We have a serious team on our hands this year, and it will take a very good team to end our season.

For me tonight feels a little bit like our last round loss to the Roosters in 2014. Reyno was out pre-game with injury and after giving up a big lead we stormed home and almost snatched victory.

I was at Allianz that night with a Roosters and a Manly mate, both hate the mighty Rabbitohs. After the game both of them were saying that you cannot win the comp after losing your last game going into the finals

I could not convince them otherwise (Manly and Roosters fans learning disorders and general stupidity). However in my heart I knew that when Reyno was back we would be all good.

I have the same feeling tonight. When we have most of our starting three-quarter line back, these other teams will not be able to keep up with us, and we will march on to 22.

Glory Glory, Stan.

Itsamansgame

Juniors
C'mon guys,

Let's not eat our own.

We had a courageous loss, under massive adversity tonight, and with a whisker of luck we may have got the win.

We have a serious team on our hands this year, and it will take a very good team to end our season.

For me tonight feels a little bit like our last round loss to the Roosters in 2014. Reyno was out pre-game with injury and after giving up a big lead we stormed home and almost snatched victory.

I was at Allianz that night with a Roosters and a Manly mate, both hate the mighty Rabbitohs. After the game both of them were saying that you cannot win the comp after losing your last game going into the finals

I could not convince them otherwise (Manly and Roosters fans learning disorders and general stupidity). However in my heart I knew that when Reyno was back we would be all good.

I have the same feeling tonight. When we have most of our starting three-quarter line back, these other teams will not be able to keep up with us, and we will march on to 22.

Glory Glory, Stan.
f**kING A BROTHER STAN

callmack1

Staff member
F**k I hate losing to the Roosters so, so much!! I just hate it! That's probably why I feel kinda pissed off and dejected right now when really I shouldn't be too bad. I guess I'm just disappointed that we came so close but let it slip through our fingers, let a great opportunity in terms of the run into the finals slip through our fingers that's all. What makes it worse is that I reckon it was the little things that cost us tonight, errors, penalties and poor finishes to the sets are the main ones obviously. However, at the same time, I'm really proud of the way we went up against a fellow competition heavyweight with an almost unrecognisible backline and we came so close to getting the job done in a great game. What's more, to the boys credit, they just never went away right throughout the whole game which was pleasing.

In attack, as Trav has said, I also feel we looked a little timid and unsure. I'm not really sure, there just seemed to be a little bit of hesitation out there, the exucution was a buit off and things just didn't flow. This is no doubt due to the reshuffle we've had this week however and then the rshuffle we had during the game, it made it so difficult but like I said, I'm really proud of the way those guys stood up and did a job. Through the middle we were pretty good and were rolling quite nicely every set led by the twins. I was just pretty disappointed with the errors, especially in that first half.

Defence wasn't bad to be honest. We looked a little shaky on the edges at times but that was no doubt due to the lack of cohesion caused by the reshuffle and overall, defence was alright. It was really only the Manu try that I was pissed with, there was some piss poor defensive efforts there. Our defensive dicipline was also a bit of an issue and we gave away some really stupid penalties at crucial times.

Johnston: Not much to say, I just really hope it's nothing really bad and opting to sit him out was just a precaution I hope.

Kennar: I apologise if I'm being a bit harsh but I feel that he wasn't actually that good tonight. Did have a couple of good runs and a nice bomb take but other than that, I thought he didn't really look like he wanted to be there and he seemed to be kind of going through the motions a bit if I'm honest. We saw how much work he did early in the season but tonight he didn't do an awful lot in that regard, he looked quite underdone for me.

Burns: Was good. Great running of the ball in every carry he had and he actually looked pretty dangerous in attack, it's a shame we couldn't open him up a bit more. Had a solid night defensively and that pass of Hymel's try was amazing.

Gagai: Did a great job. Had to shift to fullback and he looked pretty comfortable there. Although he did get dragged back a couple of times, his kick returns were strong and he was always there trying to get involved in our attack. You could see he struggled with his positioning as he'd hardly played there but considering the circumstances, he did well.

Hunt: Wasn't bad. A good running game and I was satisfied with the amount that he got involved and came in for the tough work. Had a great finish in the corner for his try and defensively, he was okay apart from that really poor miss on Manu leading up to his try.

Walker: Wasn't bad either. He looked pretty dangerous at times with his little jinking style and he created a few half opportunities that we sadly couldn't pounce on. Short kicking game was great but we need more from him with the longer kicking, still Reyno should've done most of the kicking.

Reynolds: I'm acually not happy with his performance tongiht if I'm honest. A pretty poor short kicking game which may have yeilded a great result in the first half for Reyno with a nice try but every other short kick didn't get through the line cleanly which was really disappointing for a top class half. It really cost us in the game changing moment leading up to Manu's try. I also noticed he's gone back to not digging into the line enough on attack. Still, everything else he did wasn't bad.

T.Burgess: One of our best tonight for sure as he just flattened the Roosters. Almost every run he had was awesome and he was able to make massive meters all game (well over 100m) to roll through their pack. I just loved the intent he ran with and how he didn't give up and go to ground unil it is called. It's even more impressive when you look at the quick play-the-balls he was able to get for us. It was a great game from Tom.

Cook: Wasn't bad. A lot more quiet than last week but he still did pick some nice times to run to gain around 20 meters and keep their markers honest. His passing tonight was so crisp and bullet like too which was good. Then of course there was his defence which was outstanding again.

G.Burgess: Was pretty good. Awesome, strong, aggressive running and he just keeps those legs pumping all the time. Like Tom, I love the passion and desire he is now playing with and he plays his part in laying a great platform for others to work their magic. The only thing I'd fault George on is his dicipline in defence as he gave away a couple of crucial penalties at numerous times throughout the game.

Sutton: A pretty decent game from Sutto and he played his role nicely as I thought he was a lot more involved than he has been recently. Some very strong runs off beautiful lines created by Cody I love that line where he cuts back in slightly, looks so nice.

Crichton: Was really good tonight. A huge effort the whole game as his effort was always there and he took a lot of runs which were all quality. Gussy created a few half breaks running off Reyno too tat really bent the line and gave us a bit of momentum.

S.Burgess: Wasn't happy with Sam tonight at all. Errors at really crucial times, errors that really shouldn't be happening from a player like him. he made four errors and the most significant came at the end of the game when he blew any chance of a comeback with yet another dropped ball. It wasn't only that but a lot of the time, his runs lacked that normal Slammin' Sam intensity and it seemed to me that he was just going through the motiona a bit. It was one of his worst games in quite some time and it's quite unusual from players like him. I guess we can forgive him as he's a champion of the club and is normally way better than that.

Fuimaono: Did a good job tonight. Stepped into the reshuffle and looked decent. He did some great work in attack with those strong, aggressive runs he is loved for. Fui was a bundle of energy all night and kept Mitchell pretty quiet s o well done to him.

Murray: Again, he made a great impact. His presence was obviously felt in defence as he was crucnching their forwards left, right and centre in a series of textbook tackles. His running game was also very strong and he was able to make some pretty good meters in the end.

Clark: A solid performance and he came on and did his job. Clarky had a longer stint tonight and he played pretty good with a few good runs and he was kept very busy in defence.

Tatola: Not an awful lot to say really as he had shortened game time but the few runs he did have, I like what I saw.

So all in all, I'm pissed and disappointed with the loss for sure, espicially against the Roosters, but at the same time we went up against a fellow competition heavyweight with an almost unrecognisible backline and we came so close to getting the job done in a great game. With a few less player injured we smash them. If anything, I think this performance puts the comp on notice again because it shows that even with so many stars missing, we can go with the best and fight for a win. It excites me!

I've said it a few times that the team who wins the Premiership this year is gonna be the team with the least injuries and I'm starting to get quiet concerened with our injury toll that seems to be mounting. That really worries me as a lot are key players to our attack. Hopefully we begin to return to full strength soon.

Oh well, that'll keep the boys honest and will hopefully fire them up even more. We know we can beat anyone this year.

@Different kind of Rabbit, could you please make a 3,2,1 thread? Cheers.

Last edited:
As a side note, I am so sick of Anasta insinuating that he played for Souths in commentary. Tonight pre-game he said "As someone who has sat on both sides of the fence".

I just keep praying that one day Fox line up Fa'alogo as a guest commentator.

As an optimist I always try to find a positive in any situation. In this spirit, I look at the only positive from our expulsion from the comp is that this f**kwit never played a single game in the Cardinal and Myrtle.

ThingFish

Juniors
F**k I hate losing to the Roosters so, so much!! I just hate it! That's probably why I feel kinda pissed off and dejected right now when really I shouldn't be too bad. I guess I'm just disappointed that we came so close but let it slip through our fingers, let a great opportunity in terms of the run into the finals slip through our fingers that's all. What makes it worse is that I reckon it was the little things that cost us tonight, errors, penalties and poor finishes to the sets are the main ones obviously. However, at the same time, I'm really proud of the way we went up against a fellow competition heavyweight with an almost unrecognisible backline and we came so close to getting the job done in a great game. What's more, to the boys credit, they just never went away right throughout the whole game which was pleasing.

In attack, as Trav has said, I also feel we looked a little timid and unsure. I'm not really sure, there just seemed to be a little bit of hesitation out there, the exucution was a buit off and things just didn't flow. This is no doubt due to the reshuffle we've had this week however and then the rshuffle we had during the game, it made it so difficult but like I said, I'm really proud of the way those guys stood up and did a job. Through the middle we were pretty good and were rolling quite nicely every set led by the twins. I was just pretty disappointed with the errors, especially in that first half.

Defence wasn't bad to be honest. We looked a little shaky on the edges at times but that was no doubt due to the lack of cohesion caused by the reshuffle and overall, defence was alright. It was really only the Manu try that I was pissed with, there was some piss poor defensive efforts there. Our defensive dicipline was also a bit of an issue and we gave away some really stupid penalties at crucial times.

Johnston: Not much to say, I just really hope it's nothing really bad and opting to sit him out was just a precaution I hope.

Kennar: I apologise if I'm being a bit harsh but I feel that he wasn't actually that good tonight. Did have a couple of good runs and a nice bomb take but other than that, I thought he didn't really look like he wanted to be there and he seemed to be kind of going through the motions a bit if I'm honest. We saw how much work he did early in the season but tonight he didn't do an awful lot in that regard, he looked quite underdone for me.

Burns: Was good. Great running of the ball in every carry he had and he actually looked pretty dangerous in attack, it's a shame we couldn't open him up a bit more. Had a solid night defensively and that pass of Hymel's try was amazing.

Gagai: Did a great job. Had to shift to fullback and he looked pretty comfortable there. Although he did get dragged back a couple of times, his kick returns were strong and he was always there trying to get involved in our attack. You could see he struggled with his positioning as he'd hardly played there but considering the circumstances, he did well.

Hunt: Wasn't bad. A good running game and I was satisfied with the amount that he got involved and came in for the tough work. Had a great finish in the corner for his try and defensively, he was okay apart from that really poor miss on Manu leading up to his try.

Walker: Wasn't bad either. He looked pretty dangerous at times with his little jinking style and he created a few half opportunities that we sadly couldn't pounce on. Short kicking game was great but we need more from him with the longer kicking, still Reyno should've done most of the kicking.

Reynolds: I'm acually not happy with his performance tongiht if I'm honest. A pretty poor short kicking game which may have yeilded a great result in the first half for Reyno with a nice try but every other short kick didn't get through the line cleanly which was really disappointing for a top class half. It really cost us in the game changing moment leading up to Manu's try. I also noticed he's gone back to not digging into the line enough on attack. Still, everything else he did wasn't bad.

T.Burgess: One of our best tonight for sure as he just flattened the Roosters. Almost every run he had was awesome and he was able to make massive meters all game (well over 100m) to roll through their pack. I just loved the intent he ran with and how he didn't give up and go to ground unil it is called. It's even more impressive when you look at the quick play-the-balls he was able to get for us. It was a great game from Tom.

Cook: Wasn't bad. A lot more quiet than last week but he still did pick some nice times to run to gain around 20 meters and keep their markers honest. His passing tonight was so crisp and bullet like too which was good. Then of course there was his defence which was outstanding again.

G.Burgess: Was pretty good. Awesome, strong, aggressive running and he just keeps those legs pumping all the time. Like Tom, I love the passion and desire he is now playing with and he plays his part in laying a great platform for others to work their magic. The only thing I'd fault George on is his dicipline in defence as he gave away a couple of crucial penalties at numerous times throughout the game.

Sutton: A pretty decent game from Sutto and he played his role nicely as I thought he was a lot more involved than he has been recently. Some very strong runs off beautiful lines created by Cody I love that line where he cuts back in slightly, looks so nice.

Crichton: Was really good tonight. A huge effort the whole game as his effort was always there and he took a lot of runs which were all quality. Gussy created a few half breaks running off Reyno too tat really bent the line and gave us a bit of momentum.

S.Burgess: Wasn't happy with Sam tonight at all. Errors at really crucial times, errors that really shouldn't be happening from a player like him. he made four errors and the most significant came at the end of the game when he blew any chance of a comeback with yet another dropped ball. It wasn't only that but a lot of the time, his runs lacked that normal Slammin' Sam intensity and it seemed to me that he was just going through the motiona a bit. It was one of his worst games in quite some time and it's quite unusual from players like him. I guess we can forgive him as he's a champion of the club and is normally way better than that.

Fuimaono: Did a good job tonight. Stepped into the reshuffle and looked decent. He did some great work in attack with those strong, aggressive runs he is loved for. Fui was a bundle of energy all night and kept Mitchell pretty quiet s o well done to him.

Murray: Again, he made a great impact. His presence was obviously felt in defence as he was crucnching their forwards left, right and centre in a series of textbook tackles. His running game was also very strong and he was able to make some pretty good meters in the end.

Clark: A solid performance and he came on and did his job. Clarky had a longer stint tonight and he played pretty good with a few good runs and he was kept very busy in defence.

Tatola: Not an awful lot to say really as he had shortened game time but the few runs he did have, I like what I saw.

So all in all, I'm pissed and disappointed with the loss for sure, espicially against the Roosters, but at the same time we went up against a fellow competition heavyweight with an almost unrecognisible backline and we came so close to getting the job done in a great game. With a few less player injured we smash them. If anything, I think this performance puts the comp on notice again because it shows that even with so many stars missing, we can go with the best and fight for a win. It excites me!

I've said it a few times that the team who wins the Premiership this year is gonna be the team with the least injuries and I'm starting to get quiet concerened with our injury toll that seems to be mounting. That really worries me as a lot are key players to our attack. Hopefully we begin to return to full strength soon.

Oh well, that'll keep the boys honest and will hopefully fire them up even more. We know we can beat anyone this year.
Great sum up as ever. I think you are right about the injuries, but I also think coming into the finals all but AJ should be ready to go. I have this crazy theory as well that GI’s injury was a god sent, he’s looking relaxed and fit. AJ will be there come finals, hopefully even quicker.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Great sum up as ever. I think you are right about the injuries, but I also think coming into the finals all but AJ should be ready to go. I have this crazy theory as well that GI’s injury was a god sent, he’s looking relaxed and fit. AJ will be there come finals, hopefully even quicker.
Well week one hopefully in top 4:

GI
Campbell
Hunt/Burns
Gagai
Jennings

themacemaceman

Juniors
Not too concerned with that result.
2 tries a piece and I thought we matched them.
Defensively we were great I feel but obviously struggled in attack tonight with 1-5 not who we would normally play in those positions.
We know we can go to another level... but can the Rorters!
I think they played they’re GF last night.

Latest posts