What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 22 vs Rickyless Raiders

Mjab

Juniors
Some posts continue to promote that Zac Lomax could be a ‘gifted one’ and realise his potential if coached properly. Fair enough it’s an opinion and that’s what the forum is about.

I have posted previously that the dragons can not win a premiership with Zac in the centres. Not because he is terrible but he simply lacks attacking dash and brilliance. He will on occasion score a good try running a nice line, make a nice catch and flicks the ball successfully about 25% of time ( when it works it’s very good). Unfortunatel, top line centres burn him off including Staggs, Best and even more recently Easts back rower Crichton. It’s because he simply doesn’t hot foot it laterally with a quick player. Dudes had that issue also. Not ‘bog slow’ just not pure dash.

I note an opinion that Payton has achieved much for Val Homes. Val is a high end speedster, and for years a SOO and elite player, long before Payton coached the cowboys.

We need more speed and dash in the backs. Zac got top coin on a very long term deal; based on somehow being the gifted one of junior years. He is competitive, strong head on and carries with courage in traffic. He is a good goal kicker. That’s why I’d like to see how he goes at lock/ back row. He is here for another 3 years and you can’t coach speed. Maybe his best qualities are now in his 5th NRL season undertaken in a possible successful move to the pack.
Ben Creagh did this successfully so I think worth a go, we are stuck with him for 3 more years , no chance y=this will happen under Hook though

Mjab

Juniors
I warned thee all of the perils of basing player value on junior rugby league. He hasn't shown hes in the top dozen centres in the game. Yet commands more coin than most due to form as a kid and being quite marketable. But oh no what does ol gitano know hey
While I dont always agree with you especially re Turnstile , some of this is true.
There are so many better centres than Lomaz , at best he is middle of the road, no longer the gifted one.
Suli has much more impact. Garrick a more solid player and better goalkicker
At some point players have to take responsibilty for there own improvement and development not blame the coaches and the game plan etc . He just has not really come on and now is an experienced first grader

Dragon David

First Grade
While I dont always agree with you especially re Turnstile , some of this is true.
There are so many better centres than Lomaz , at best he is middle of the road, no longer the gifted one.
At some point players have to take responsibilty for there own improvement and development not blame the coaches and the game plan etc . He just has not really come on and now is an experienced first grader
"take responsibility for their own improvement and development not blame the coaches and the game plan"

So true Mjab.

redv13

Bench
Garrick is not a better goal kicker. Lomax would be in the top 4 of 1st choice kickers for each club this season. Garrick is kicking at 76%, Lomax 81%.

dannyt

Coach
Garrick is not a centre

Mjab

Juniors
Garrick is not a centre
Yeah , I know , maybe not the best direct comparison I admit
But the point I was maybe trying to make is to me Lomax is or has been a major disappointment to me over the last few years, he just hasnt really improved much , still dumb brain explosion and stupid error stuff.
I know Garrick is a winger and has played a lot of fullback now and sort of done pretty well , a more solid and reliable player overall and lot less dumb errors that generally dont cost his team games, unlike Lomax.
I just wish Lomax could "learn" to not do so many dumb things , improve his game and be a more solid and reliable player.

dannyt

Coach
Yeah , I know , maybe not the best direct comparison I admit
But the point I was maybe trying to make is to me Lomax is or has been a major disappointment to me over the last few years, he just hasnt really improved much , still dumb brain explosion and stupid error stuff.
I know Garrick is a winger and has played a lot of fullback now and sort of done pretty well , a more solid and reliable player overall and lot less dumb errors that generally dont cost his team games, unlike Lomax.
I just wish Lomax could "learn" to not do so many dumb things , improve his game and be a more solid and reliable player.
Fair point. I think Lomax has actually been since the brain facts against the cows in r1 and rorters in r2

denis preston

First Grade
Irrespective of opinions on Lomax one thing that can’t be disputed is his burden on our salary cap, which appears to be tight at present.

Latest posts