What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 v Eels

Stinkfinger

Juniors
If Souths didn't waste their challenge in the 2021 GF they maybe get the ball back on our try line from a Cleary touch on a Walker pass that went over the sideline.

We got lucky that Reynolds kicking went to shit under the GF pressure.
Pretty sure Cleary touvhed his arm, not the ball.

betcats

Referee
Asu is killing it in cup thats all i know. Hes big, fast, positions himself well, breaks tackles and is a good finisher. Unlucky not to be in FG with Alamoti out. Great depth for wing and centre. Interesting prospect for some edge minutes.

betcats

Referee
Also re Mav, I dont understand the hate he gets. He just a solid squad player and he gets those minutes when he gets games. Never makes and error or gives away a penalty, rarely misses a tackle or makes a bad read. He isnt making much metres cause he doesnt get many minutes. If you look at metres and PC metres roughly half of his metres are post contact. He does a good job considering where he is on the depth chart.

mxlegend99

Referee
Also re Mav, I dont understand the hate he gets. He just a solid squad player and he gets those minutes when he gets games. Never makes and error or gives away a penalty, rarely misses a tackle or makes a bad read. He isnt making much metres cause he doesnt get many minutes. If you look at metres and PC metres roughly half of his metres are post contact. He does a good job considering where he is on the depth chart.
I think he does a decent enough job. Nothing shockingly bad or anything.

Against Dragons he played the biggest minutes of his career and he ran for 120 metres, had 2 tackle breaks, 10 tackles for 0 missed and no errors or penalties. He's tackling at about 90%.

He's not close to the impact I expected/hoped. But if he can build on what he has shown he would be a decent player IMO. I would probably rather see Asu in his place purely because the guy has some freakish ability and if we lost a back I would prefer him filling in than Mav. But also his game filling in at centre was actually really strong.

Original Name

Juniors
He was hyped up a lot and people who didn't watch him bought into the hype. Because they were expecting great things instead of judging him on who he is they were disappointed.

betcats

Referee
He was hyped up a lot and people who didn't watch him bought into the hype. Because they were expecting great things instead of judging him on who he is they were disappointed.

yeah i think that is it. hes not a star but he could a solid player. With the minutes he does get he is solid. And really looking at the cup edge forwards he isnt playing over anyone who is better. Price is a lock. I like Lipowizc and think this time next year could be a good option for Mavs minutes and has better potential but he has just come up from Flegg the last few weeks, Hasset is in and out of cup atm and to small for fg right now. Garner injured. Who else is there? Asu maybe. Or lindsay/henry on edge which has been done over Mav when Fish was fit.

soc123_au

Staff member
His surname probably hurts him as much as it helps him. It would be fair to make an argument that if his name was Maverik Jones he wouldn't have gotten a shot, now that he has everyone expects to see a Mark clone out on the field. It seems he got his aggression from the Alexander side.

He holds his own for the most part. He certainly isn't a liability and isn't likely to become one unless he ends up holding someone back who screams NRL player. Hopefully he shows a bit more as he gets comfortable.