What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Dogs

possm

Coach
why would we be playing perreira on the bench ??? Am i the only one thinking that's just plain stupid ??
Hoping it is so Nightingale can where the 5 jumper but actually be on the bench and JP takes his place on the left wing.

Crush

Coach
Nightingale will play on the wing. Its his farewell home game. It will lift the whole side as they will be playing for nighty. As much as I think nighty is about our 5th best option at wing at the moment i agree with this selection for what it will do for the moral.
I am comfortable with it.

blacksafake

First Grade
Nightingale will play on the wing. Its his farewell home game. It will lift the whole side as they will be playing for nighty. As much as I think nighty is about our 5th best option at wing at the moment i agree with this selection for what it will do for the moral.
If it means beating the dogs then I’m okay with it too. I’ll be front & centre cheering him, However if we lose & nighty has a stinker this forum will be in overdrive.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If it means beating the dogs then I’m okay with it too. I’ll be front & centre cheering him, However if we lose & nighty has a stinker this forum will be in overdrive.

SGI will have to play the Dogs in the forwards as the Morris Boys and Hopoate are way better than anything we have in the backs

My man Gasnier

Juniors
SGI will have to play the Dogs in the forwards as the Morris Boys and Hopoate are way better than anything we have in the backs

Whattttt? Playing through the forwards is when we're at our best. But you reckon the Morris boys and Hoppa jr are better than our backs? If that were true they wouldn't be sitting near enough to wooden spooners! The Morris boys are at the same level as nightingale and Hopoate is barely seen when he is wearing the number 1 jersey.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

exactly, last chance to play at Kogarah, last chance to play against his old teammates in the Morris boys and last chance win/lose or draw to be chaired off in front of his fans and hopefully lead the team victory song.
I expect him to play the whole game, Field to the bench and JP to ISP.

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp-180611nh41.jpg

DRAGONS

Vaughan out for the season
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 06:35 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Paul Vaughan suffered a foot injury at training on Tuesday afternoon, and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"Paul suffered a season-ending injury to his foot in a freak incident at training," Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth said.

"Paul's foot injury occurred on the opposite leg to the one he previously suffered against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 21."

Vaughan said he was gutted to be ruled out for the remainder of the season.

"I'm devastated that my season has come to an end so suddenly today," he said.

"However, I'll continue to support the boys for the rest of the year, and I look forward to coming back bigger and better in 2019."

Vaughan was earlier today named in the reserves to make a potential return from his earlier syndesmosis injury against the Bulldogs this weekend.

His replacement is the 21-man squad is yet to be determined.

Updated NRL squad for Round 24 v Bulldogs:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt– sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Westfund
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Zac Lomax
19. Jai Field
21. Jacob Host

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/21/vaughan-out-for-the-season/

possm

Coach

If you are correct than it will be the Morris brothers and the Bulldogs Club who will be licking their lips at the prospect of raiding our right edge all game. Sometimes I wonder which is the Dragons greater goal, to win a game or to bestow good feeling and loyalty to players i.e. Nightingale playing against the Dogs, Aitken being selected after very poor games, Dufty being selected after a string of poor performances ……….. I have no doubt that Bennett would have got us to the top of the ladder and kept us there mainly because he manages a playing squad better, managers selections better and managers a bench better. Bennett would ensure Aitken does not simply make the same mistakes week after week and that Dufty is either replaced or helped to overcome his problems in defence and catching the high ball.

Last edited:

The Damo

Juniors
Me too. And frankly even with Nighty we should be able to cane the dogs.

BLM01

First Grade
vaughanp-180611nh41.jpg

DRAGONS

Vaughan out for the season
Author
Timestamp
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 06:35 PM

St George Illawarra front-rower Paul Vaughan suffered a foot injury at training on Tuesday afternoon, and has been ruled out for the remainder of the 2018 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

"Paul suffered a season-ending injury to his foot in a freak incident at training," Dragons Head of Athletic Performance Nathan Pickworth said.

"Paul's foot injury occurred on the opposite leg to the one he previously suffered against the New Zealand Warriors in Round 21."

Vaughan said he was gutted to be ruled out for the remainder of the season.

"I'm devastated that my season has come to an end so suddenly today," he said.

"However, I'll continue to support the boys for the rest of the year, and I look forward to coming back bigger and better in 2019."

Vaughan was earlier today named in the reserves to make a potential return from his earlier syndesmosis injury against the Bulldogs this weekend.

His replacement is the 21-man squad is yet to be determined.

Updated NRL squad for Round 24 v Bulldogs:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt– sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Westfund
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Zac Lomax
19. Jai Field
21. Jacob Host

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/21/vaughan-out-for-the-season/
Whilst this is a big blow to any chance we may have had I do see a little silver lining
Watched the replay of Tigers game and impressed with Frizzell at prop running straight lines and in cases into holes, and got rid of that cutting back running at 45 degrees across field before launching back into the defence. The silver lining...Vaughan & Frizz to start as props in 19...Frizz should have a roving commission to run those same straight lines at the edges when it suits during the season.
I was also more impressed with JP's hard running efforts (in some cases 2 in each set) more than McDonalds who tends at times to prance into the line. Not saying McDonald did not take some good hit ups but on what I saw McDonald to be dropped for Nighty if form has anything to do with it.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Me too. And frankly even with Nighty we should be able to cane the dogs.

Mary does not have a plan B. Aitken and Nghtingale will be infield while Josh Morris throws a long pass to Brett who is hugging the sideline. Then when Nightingale holds close to the sideline, Lewis will kick deep for Morris to chase and score, Macdonald has a problem with turning and fielding the ball from a long kick. What is our counter to this? Where is our plan B?

BLM01

First Grade
Mary does not have a plan B. Aitken and Nghtingale will be infield while Josh Morris throws a long pass to Brett who is hugging the sideline. Then when Nightingale holds close to the sideline, Lewis will kick deep for Morris to chase and score, Macdonald has a problem with turning and fielding the ball from a long kick. What is our counter to this? Where is our plan B?
Plan B should be not to have those 2 as our wingers.

possm

Coach
Plan B should be not to have those 2 as our wingers.
You know what I would do with the cattle we currently have available:
Lomax for Dufty - it's worth a go and I think he would surprise everyone.
Dufty at 6 - sure defence is poor but might be more manageable with others areound him. He has speed, a good pass and from memory of his junior days, he has a good kicking game.
Wingers to be JP and Macdonald.
Lafai to right centre - he would stabilize the right edge in defence.
Mann to left centre - his natural position.
Frizell to prop - Vaughan's replacement.
Leilua to start - Host in off the bench.

Bench
Ah Mau
Latimore
Host
Nightingale/Robson - I would prefer Robson but …..

So in my opinion our best team for the game against the Dogs is:
1. Lomax
2. JP
3. Lafai
4. Mann
5. Macdonald
6. Dufty
7. Hunt
8. Frizell
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Leilua
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Latimore
16. Host
17. Nightingale/Robson.

BLM01

First Grade
You know what I would do with the cattle we currently have available:
Lomax for Dufty - it's worth a go and I think he would surprise everyone.
Dufty at 6 - sure defence is poor but might be more manageable with others areound him. He has speed, a good pass and from memory of his junior days, he has a good kicking game.
Wingers to be JP and Macdonald.
Lafai to right centre - he would stabilize the right edge in defence.
Mann to left centre - his natural position.
Frizell to prop - Vaughan's replacement.
Leilua to start - Host in off the bench.

Bench
Ah Mau
Latimore
Host
Nightingale/Robson - I would prefer Robson but …..

So in my opinion our best team for the game against the Dogs is:
1. Lomax
2. JP
3. Lafai
4. Mann
5. Macdonald
6. Dufty
7. Hunt
8. Frizell
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Leilua
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Latimore
16. Host
17. Nightingale/Robson.
If you think Dufty's defence is poor then 6 is a no go. It is his 1st full year at 1st grade at one of toughest position in the backline for defence. Everyone is too hard on him for his 1st real season with exception YES..he needs to work on a few things but coaching is part to blame. See how he goes in the finals and at 2019 at fullback and then we can judge him moving forward. I still think he can be a fullback star but still in his youth. Anyone remember Tedesco's first few years even when not injured...he too was a speed hump but then became of the best last line defensive tacklers in the comp prior to his poor last year at the Tigers. I have seen Tommy Turbo have a few poor defensive games at fullback and he has been playing a couple of years.
Problem is with Lomax / Robson..you are going to have to wait till next year. We dont know if they are best options now as too late to try. (mary's and injury's fault). Aitken will always get selected because of his efforts in runs out of the backfield. (Mary blinkered to other deficiencies)
No Nightingale for me...but if he must, onto the bench for Field, last weeks side is the best side to trot out for this week. Why change it!

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
bel_landscape.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Round 24
Author
Timestamp
Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:00 AM

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have named their 21-man squad to take on Dragons this Saturday at Jubilee Oval, with a side unchanged from last week's one point victory over the Warriors.

The Bulldogs will continue with the pairing of Matt Frawley and Lachlan Lewis in the halves, with Jeremy Marshall-King coming off the bench.

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Matthew Dufty

Fullback for Bulldogs is number 1 Will Hopoate
  • Winger for Dragons is number 2 Nene Macdonald

Winger for Bulldogs is number 2 Brett Morris
  • Centre for Dragons is number 3 Euan Aitken

Centre for Bulldogs is number 3 Josh Morris
  • Centre for Dragons is number 4 Timoteo Lafai

Centre for Bulldogs is number 4 Kerrod Holland
  • Winger for Dragons is number 5 Jason Nightingale

Winger for Bulldogs is number 5 Reimis Smith