What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 v Dogs

Crush

Coach
Agree, No reason why Nighty can’t get a presentation before kick off or half time.
No reason to drop Nene or JP.
Did you see the nrl 360 interview with Mary tonight? Interesting. Mary was quite emotional and spoke about the bond in the team.
As predicted, he is picking Nighty this weekend and I think its more about a respect thing. Its what the whole group wants and may just lift them as a whole.
The Mary haters will squirm if they watch that interview but I saw a slightly different side to the coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
Bingo. Very little of what goes on in the mainstream nrl media makes sense unless you see it through the lens of what NewsCorpse wants. Then things become much clearer. Honestly when the main NRL correspondent in the biggest selling tabloid is a barely literate, utterly hypocritical, rarely coherent, obviously compromised hack like Buzz Rothfield something is very wrong. And when the so called serious analysts like Kent show no regard for being seen as consistent it becomes more obvious still.

Ever so much ! Whatever happened to the decent sports columnists such as Bill ‘ break even ‘ Mordey and even Ray Chesterson, both good journalists who actually promoted the game of rugby league . None of the backstabbing and sensationalism that is so prominent in today’s rags , which is about all they are — hell after I have finished reading the funnys I use the bluudy thing to wrap up the leftovers of the meals !

Mark D

Juniors
Did you see the nrl 360 interview with Mary tonight? Interesting. Mary was quite emotional and spoke about the bond in the team.
As predicted, he is picking Nighty this weekend and I think its more about a respect thing. Its what the whole group wants and may just lift them as a whole.
The Mary haters will squirm if they watch that interview but I saw a slightly different side to the coach.
Agree mate and posted similar on another thread... not an easy job being an NRL coach especially when you coach the mighty Red V... We are top 4 and hopefully stay that way. Most supporters at the start of the year would have been happy with top 8.... it’s time to rally

nontime111

Juniors
I concur, we were top of the table for most of the season damn it!
all my gripes with Dufty and Aitken aside of course bleeding red and white I hope we rally, regroup to a new level and SMASH them then dominate the finals and win the bloody GF!
GO DRAGONS!!! so close now finish the thing!

dannyt

Coach
Put Nighty on the bench and play 16 only.

Been doing it all year.

Ever so much ! Whatever happened to the decent sports columnists such as Bill ‘ break even ‘ Mordey and even Ray Chesterson, both good journalists who actually promoted the game of rugby league . None of the backstabbing and sensationalism that is so prominent in today’s rags , which is about all they are — hell after I have finished reading the funnys I use the bluudy thing to wrap up the leftovers of the meals !
Don't forget Peter Frilingos...

ALSGI

Bench
Didn’r see it Crush.

FMD, two steps foward, one back.

ouryears

Bench
Yeah, the side that selects old slow players versus fast young guns, might be touching and sentimental, but sure as hell does not win professional games of league. I hope Nighty has a blinder, it’s a big risk.

ouryears

Bench
Agree mate and posted similar on another thread... not an easy job being an NRL coach especially when you coach the mighty Red V... We are top 4 and hopefully stay that way. Most supporters at the start of the year would have been happy with top 8.... it’s time to rally
Some may have been satisfied just making the 8, some others expected top 4, the ones who were happy with top 8 were feeling that way only because of the suffering Mary put us through over the past few years. Top 4 with minimum of prelim final or Mary goes. BJs first job.

BLM01

First Grade
Mary just said on NRL 360 Nightie will play this weekend
Oh well, likely to replace Field on the bench me thinks...should he be in the best 17 we have ATM, no... as long as we win I dont care. One thing we all know he will put in but if it is a repeat of the Melb game putting him in the forwards or in a position that weakens us and we lose....well then this one is on the coach being a mate rather than a coach. Top 4 position with big winning margins of both games should be priority. Sharks are looming and will likely take the spot if fall asleep at the wheel again.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Agree, No reason why Nighty can’t get a presentation before kick off or half time.
No reason to drop Nene or JP.
I have a huge admiration for Flo been a club legend but do feel sorry for JP in particular.....we cant afford to have a bloke where time has caught up with him in the team when these games are vital for our final 4 chances.....I know its a tough call but if Nighty does get exposed again and we lose because theres some weakness in his area then we wont be to impressed.....No team has won outside the top 4 yet......not suggesting we will win the comp but I would sooner be in the 4 than out of it....if the Dogs do exploit his wing then its highly unlikely Mary will haul him off in his last game at home......having said all that I hope Jason has a blinder

Overseas dragon

Juniors
my take on it if knighty has to play .fullback send dufty to isp for a refresher .seems like a nice way for nighty to finish .......GO THE BIG RED VVVV ....hope the coach concurs

possm

Coach

I've heard similar statements before and always ask myself; why/how did we come to this conclusion? Maybe it is to do with history, maybe it is to do with the perception of the coaching staff's ability or maybe it is just that people did not think the players had it in them.

Gareth67

First Grade

Dennis I do remember him well , a very fair and impartial chap , wrote so many great stories about rugby league . He , along with so many other journalists of that era done so much for the game , many of them were responsible for getting the public to the games simply by their ability to get their audience inspired, they promoted the game not bring it into disrepute.

Regardless if it was North Sydney or Newtown playing one of the leagues heavyweights of the competition, the crowds would still pour into the matches , such a shame that the ‘ playwrights ‘ of today do not have that same ability. In fact some of these blokes would be far better in the halls of Canberra where bitching is the first order of the day !

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I have no doubt he will go with the Flo this week.
I expect (imo) todays team lisf will be:
1. Dufty
2. Nene
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Flo
6. Mann
7. Hunt
8. Graham
9. McInnes
10. Leilua
11. Friz
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. LAM
15. Latimore
16. Lawrie
17. Periera

18. Vaughan
19. Field
20. Sele
21. Lomax

If Vaughan is fit he will replace Lawrie and move straight to startinv prop with Leilua dropping to the bench and Friz to edge forward.
I dont expect Lomax to play as he needs to qualify for the ISP finals. Field may replace Periera in the 17.

As i said just my opinion on what McGregor will do today. I could be way off too.

since77

Juniors
As much as I will always love Nightingale, there's no way (at this stage of his career) he scores the try that Pereira scored last week against the Tigers. He'd have been pulled down a metre or so short of the try line.

ALSGI

Bench
As much as I will always love Nightingale, there's no way (at this stage of his career) he scores the try that Pereira scored last week against the Tigers. He'd have been pulled down a metre or so short of the try line.
Not a hope mate, would have stopped and tried to step inside when he quickly realised he couldn’t make it, then bundled into touch imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts