What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 Vs Cowboys @ QCB Stadium

Iamback

Coach
The only possible worry for you guys might be and this is only a possible.
Nathan's been out for 5 weeks. Will come back first week of finals and if win off again. 1 game in basically 2 months. Will he be rusty?
I don't know. I would of given Luai 30 mins this game personaly.

The threat of being too refreshed is a concern, both halves are in that category now

As an outsider I'd like to put my view to you guys and gals.
I think it's a brilliant move by Ivan.
All finals pressure is on every other team except your first grade.
The Cows will be under pressure as, no.1 they do not want to lose to this team, no.2 they do not want any injuries/suspensions etc.
Parra and the Storm are already under pressure but add in the fact that they may have to play a very fresh Penrith side in the first round of finals and they are going to be beat up badly.
It even puts my Sharks under a little pressure because if the Cows win then we have to win (I know, it's the Knights but you get the picture)
Souths, Easts, Canberra/Broncos are all going to be getting bashed, or bashing, each other or other teams.
What's Penrith's first grade team doing?
Resting at home, getting rid of niggles, freshening up, and most importantly, practising away from everyone with your main playmaker, Nathan, back calling the shots.

Before I forget, does your NSW Cup team get a second chance if they lose this week?
If so, thats another plus as your players will come back battle hardened from playing against a First Grade team.

Well done.

betcats

Referee
The Cows will be under pressure as, no.1 they do not want to lose to this team, no.2 they do not want any injuries/suspensions etc.
Parra and the Storm are already under pressure but add in the fact that they may have to play a very fresh Penrith side in the first round of finals and they are going to be beat up badly.
It even puts my Sharks under a little pressure because if the Cows win then we have to win (I know, it's the Knights but you get the picture)
Souths, Easts, Canberra/Broncos are all going to be getting bashed, or bashing, each other or other teams.
Resting at home, getting rid of niggles, freshening up, and most importantly, practising away from everyone with your main playmaker, Nathan, back calling the shots.

Before I forget, does your NSW Cup team get a second chance if they lose this week?
If so, thats another plus as your players will come back battle hardened from playing against a First Grade team.

Well done.

Yes I’m pretty sure the cup boys get a second chance they finished second so they should. At the end of the day the cup competition is best used by nrl teams as a development tool for future nrl players, having a strong side in cup is definitely a good thing for an nrl club bit winning it isn’t the main goal imo, the main goal of that comp for an nrl club is to prepare prospects and depth players for when they might a crack at the top grade. I am more than happy to sacrifice our chances in cup to better the nrl teams chances and a lot of the players in first grade this week will get a lot of value out a game of nrl against a good opposition which should have some benefit for next year.

Iamback

Coach

Well done.

Yes lower grades are the old top 5.

If they win they play next week to get into the GF but if they lose they still play next week

Iamback

Coach
Yes I’m pretty sure the cup boys get a second chance they finished second so they should. At the end of the day the cup competition is best used by nrl teams as a development tool for future nrl players, having a strong side in cup is definitely a good thing for an nrl club bit winning it isn’t the main goal imo, the main goal of that comp for an nrl club is to prepare prospects and depth players for when they might a crack at the top grade. I am more than happy to sacrifice our chances in cup to better the nrl teams chances and a lot of the players in first grade this week will get a lot of value out a game of nrl against a good opposition which should have some benefit for next year.

Cole especially should take the Salmon role to ease into FG so especially is good to give him a taste

Murraymob1

Juniors

Well done.
I have requested they attend my home for a backyard game on the knees tackle .i have them covered lol

Another concern I have for this game is that it will show the rest of the league how good our juniors are.
I imagine the likes of Bennett will be watching this game very closely. Picking some talent for his new team.
It is a fair indication that Bennett has lost some pulling power , master coach not getting any of his targets. Is Jack Cole the new Burton?

betcats

Referee
It is a fair indication that Bennett has lost some pulling power , master coach not getting any of his targets. Is Jack Cole the new Burton?

There are definite similarities, country boys, natural five eights with the ability to shift into the centres. Not sure he will be as good as Burton but he is a great prospect for sure. Managed correctly we can probably manage to hold onto him a bit longer than we did Burto even if he does kick on.

Iamback

Coach
There are definite similarities, country boys, natural five eights with the ability to shift into the centres. Not sure he will be as good as Burton but he is a great prospect for sure. Managed correctly we can probably manage to hold onto him a bit longer than we did Burto even if he does kick on.

Cole is more versatile, Perfect for a 14 in the modern Game

MrBlack

Juniors
The only possible worry for you guys might be and this is only a possible.
Nathan's been out for 5 weeks. Will come back first week of finals and if win off again. 1 game in basically 2 months. Will he be rusty?
I don't know. I would of given Luai 30 mins this game personaly.

Nathen's been out but not injured. Makes all the difference. There was talk about him maintainging game type contact at training to keep his match fitness up.

The rested Penrith of 2022 beats the busted penrith of 2021 any day of the week.

Blues Riff

Bench

Well done.
Well done to you BBB., My exact thoughts summed up by a Sharkie fmd. Saved me from this debate. See you in the GF.

Well done to you BBB., My exact thoughts summed up by a Sharkie fmd. Saved me from this debate. See you in the GF.
That'd be bloody awesome. I did buy tickets last week.
Too bad the NSW Cup GF is the week before, it would have been double the fun if it was Newtown vs Penrith in that as well on the day.
Just goes to show that the teams with the best junior pathways are truly coming to the fore. Penrith Minor Premiers in First, Cronulla 2nd. Reserve Grade, Newtown (Sharks feeder with our juniors) Minor Premiers and Penrith 2nd.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
eamNathen's been out but not injured. Makes all the difference. There was talk about him maintainging game type contact at training to keep his match fitness up.

The rested Penrith of 2022 beats the busted penrith of 2021 any day of the week.

I've seen photos of Cleary running in the opposed sessions with the cup team.....He has mentioned this has given him greater insight about how the team runs and functions.

That'd be bloody awesome. I did buy tickets last week.
Too bad the NSW Cup GF is the week before, it would have been double the fun if it was Newtown vs Penrith in that as well on the day.
Just goes to show that the teams with the best junior pathways are truly coming to the fore. Penrith Minor Premiers in First, Cronulla 2nd. Reserve Grade, Newtown (Sharks feeder with our juniors) Minor Premiers and Penrith 2nd.
May the class of 1967 dominate this decade and beyond 👍

Kilkenny

Coach
I;m pretty sure that Wade Graham also played Ball and FG in the same season.
Wade debuted in 2008. I went to the SG Ball final at Leichhardt whether it was 2007 or 2008 I can’t remember, I did a quick google but couldn’t find a definitive answer. Some interesting names do pop up when you google from the past, young players who were talked up, expected to enjoy NRL careers but didn’t for whatever reason.

Found the below in an old thread from here which included Wade.

Harold Matthews Premiership winning side in 06. In bold are the ones who will contest this year's SG Ball in 08.

Penrith Panthers:

1.Lachlan Coote 2.Matthew Wright 3.Stirling Siejka 4.Gavin Taylor 5.Danny Schneider 6.Sam Jones 7.Wade Graham (c) 8.John Feiloakitau 9.Shane Smith 10.Evrett Vaurasi 11.Ben Takaiwai 12.Greg Waddell 13.Mokena Cherrington 14.Dave Farkas 15.Alan Tuiala 16.Andrew Pritchard 17.Lota Fiiaalo18.Grant Leslie 19.John Sialafau 20.Kilifi Tia Kilifi 21.Grant Leslie 22.Daly Thompson 23.Sam Nanai 24.John Sialafau 25.Jordan Tagaloa

Latest posts