What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 26 v The Eels

Fangs

Coach
As we've been told this competition is about attrition. This is a big test now.

Jessie had a tough game and Jarome's injury sealed it. We were done once both sides of our defence were compromised.

age.s

First Grade
Not much fun to watch but these kinds of things can happen when you rest half your team. Some pretty disappointing work in the middle probably the worst aspect. McLean was a bit out of his depth, but he saved Martin and Leotas bacon on the Matterson no try, shocking read and attempted tackle from those two there. In general we were outmuscled in the middle, albeit not by too much.

The real problem was out wide. I think this game really showcases how much our back 5 do for our system. Edwards, Tago, Turuva, Tmay are all immense in getting our sets rolling and Critta, McLean, Jenkins and Peachey just don't have the same punch. Throw in some pretty ordinary edge defence and we become a mid tier team all of a sudden, with an Origin half/lock combo that struggles to make anything happen.

Luai a big worry obv. All we had to do was get through tonight without injuries but couldn't even manage that. I really don't like the idea of Cogger at 6, but I dont know what other options we have. Salmon? Can we sign Laurie for the finals?

Critta was pretty disappointing. He's not a fullback for mine, but thats the Dogs problem.

One more key injury and I'll start to worry.

pantherz9103

First Grade
32 points conceded and zero positives from the game.
Broncos will probably beat the Raiders but could still lose to Storm because they are a major bogey team for them but will we even beat Cowboys??
Broncos winning both minor prem and GF is a lot more possible now than it should have been and should the worst happen I will have a hard time dealing with that and I will blame Ivan.

hindy111

Post Whore
Mclean doesn't play and Nathan kicks as normal and we still win this

Gutherson and Dylan Brown had great games. Penrith where flat. Also two try saving tackles at key moments by the Eels.

If you look at some of the tries ask yourself are they scored had players missing been in? One where Guth burnt Peachey deff isn't.
Bar Moses it was Parra best side all year. Fully fit they are a strong side and beat plenty of other sides tonight. Penrith had Edwards,Tago,Turava,Kenny,Sorenson all missing and Luai out after 25 mins. And nothing bounced Penriths way. Nathan couldn't kick a goal either.

I feel Penriths attacks been flat all year but tonight the defense just had no energy. Even without Jerome I wouldn't write them off completely. Hopefully first week is against the Warriors. Then rest up. Storm and Brisbane may still have some bad luck with injuries over the next few weeks as well.

The side I feel is really starting to make noise are the Knights. Bit of a smoke and behind the top 3 they are my 4th pick.

Fangs

Coach
Boys look like they are Ricky Stuart hurtin' in the sheds and I don't blame them.

I'm excited for next week. We will be firing.

Girds89

Bench
You aren't wrong.

But he ran in because he didn't trust Jessie. I'm not blaming the kid but if Crichton were there To'o doesn't run in.

I agree...

Which is why i said play iongi at fb and leave critta at centre ..

People wamt to blame a rookie...

Where's the blame for ivan??

I was 100% ready for him to rest blokes...

But he didn't do it smart

Luke Bowden

First Grade
@Luke Bowden

Dont need to be a dr...

Im not making shit up...

Trust me id love if luai was fit for week 1...

But a dislocated shoulder is 3-4 minimum as i said
That’s not a minimum, that’s the Average, I get that you can use google.

Do you need me to explain what Average Vs Minimum is??

Wait for the scan results and take it from there.

You really are a fickle sort of dude.

The Eels have always played with a style that we struggle to defend. The offloads and lateral movement really does stretch us. And so far tonight, everything has come off for them.

Having said that, Ivan needs to take a lot of the blame for this. Fair enough Dylan needs a rest, but why rest our best backup (Turuva) in the same game? Critta has never been a good fullback, and it's showing tonight.

And Jesse McLean has been hung out to dry as a result. An absolutely pointless debut, and the poor kid is gonna be having nightmares for weeks.

Big game to win from here...
Like I said prior to his NSW selection he is not NRL player. It's a strange selection by Ivan. Garner would have done a better job or leave Crichton in centres and put Iongi or Turuva and rest him next week.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I agree...

You are in no position to judge Ivan Cleary for Christ sake.

Every time I hear the old saying “Its better to be thought a fool, than open….” I think of you.

Fangs

Coach
I agree...

I don't see blame Ivan in this.

Luai wasn't a predicted loss. Only Edwards. We are closer in this game if Luai stays out there.