What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 (2006) Panthers vs Raiders

Pistol

Coach
Penrith Panthers v Canberra Raiders

Venue: Penrith Stadium
ground_penrith_1.jpg

Crowd: TBA. Referee: Pistol

• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

• Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves.

• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 19th APRIL at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

Big Mick

Referee
PANTHERS SIDE!

1) Furrycat
2) Madunit
3) Azkatro
4) Pantherz9103
5) Big Mick c

6) Leaguenut
7) Hightown Tiger
8) Ozzie

greeneyed

First Grade
GE playing for the Raiders...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Easter

It is the Thursday before Easter and I am on a plane returning home to Canberra. The sun is low in the sky and the aircraft tracks to the west of the city. The nation’s capital lays below us, nestled in the valleys, the lakes glistening. We circle around the city’s northern fringes and a magnificent view to the west emerges – the Brindabella ranges draped in clouds and the last rays of sun streaming through, bathing the landscape in golden light. It's a beautiful place and I am happy to be coming home to spend the Easter break.

I’m probably a rare Canberran, spending Easter in Canberra. Canberrans traditionally head somewhere else for the break. But my football team is playing at home and I wouldn’t be anywhere else when the Canberra Raiders hit the home turf.

Canberra is a much-criticised place – by those who do not live there. They say things like “it’s artificial” or “it has no heart and soul”. I don’t care. I know how beautiful it is. As game day breaks, the sun is shining and the sky is an intense, crisp blue and the leaves on the trees are changing into hues of gold and red. On a day like this, you simply feel fortunate to live in Canberra.

And I know it does have a heart and soul. It came to the fore in the days after bushfires devastated the city – you could feel the sense of community when the Raiders put on a “Sevens” carnival night, with proceeds to help those affected. It came to the fore when the city united behind its “Green Machine” as the team made a historic run to take its first title in 1989.

I have to admit, the support in the community for the Raiders has waned since those heady days. Early in season 2006, the Raiders have suffered some humiliating defeats. The temperature is falling sharply as I head out to Canberra Stadium for the match against the Warriors on Easter Saturday night. It will be the most devoted Canberra Raiders supporters who turn up tonight. It turns out that there are only 7000 of us.

As the first half unfolds, one shouldn’t be surprised that it is only the “rusted-on” supporters who are there. Raiders' coach Matt Elliott has come with his favourite game plan for the match. The game plan consists of five dummy half runs or hit ups one off the ruck, no passing, and a bomb. I become convinced the idea is to bore the other team to death.

The final stages of the second half are almost enough to make me forget the first 60 minutes of the match. The scores are close and the Raiders are coming from behind. The crowd is producing more noise than 7000 people have any right to and the “Raiders” chant breaks out repeatedly. Then blood-nut Alan Tongue scores with four minutes remaining to take the Raiders to the lead for the first time in the match and produces an unlikely victory.

I am pumped up and excited by the win. But as I drive home, I recall the woeful first half performance... the lack of creativity... the conservative game plan, the one the coach says he must use with the squad he has… the inability of the coach to bring young talent through... and the scant success of recent years.

Still, Easter is a time for new beginnings. I wake on Easter Sunday morning and scan the papers. Along with the stories of the heart-stopping victory of the night before is a story on the Raiders' new coach, Neil Henry. The current coach will be taking his forward dominated game plan to Penrith in 2007. Next year, Canberra will have a new coach, one brought up in the region, one who truly understands what it means to be part of the Green Machine.

Henry says he will bring a new-look attacking style of play to the Raiders. Henry says he believes in the young players coming through the club and that he will be promoting the juniors, as the district is rich in local talent. Henry says he wants to take us back to the glory days.

New coaches always make good sounding promises. But this feels right to me. I think he can re-awaken the city’s heart and soul. It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life in the nation’s capital. And it feels good.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

750 words including title

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick takes the first massive hitup for the Panthers and immediately applies pressure to the Raiders defence.

International Orphanage

While the majority of blame for the mass exodus of our stars to union over recent years has rested with the salary cap, one has to beg the question, is it purely just the money? Mat Rogers summed it up in a recent article begging Gasnier to switch codes when he stated “You get to travel the world and participate in a real world cup with massive crowds”. In reality, it is the attraction of the international game that secures talent such as Gasnier to union as they want to showcase their skills on a world stage. This is something professional rugby league administrators have abandoned for far too long. But how can we strengthen our international presence?

Every year we have media publications about how good it would be to have a thriving international game to rival union, however, in the same breathe we also have statements proclaiming there is too much strain on the player’s and we cannot have an extended representative season. How after all this can these struggling developing nations continue to develop?

Throughout the world, rugby league is finally starting to have a presence thanks to very determined people risking all to start up a game in a foreign land. Referring to Tas Bateiri’s article in the Sun Herald, Rugby League now has 44 affiliated countries. In recent years we’ve seen the remarkable development in emerging nations such as Malta, Holland, Lebanon, Serbia, United States, Cook Islands, Russia and Samoa to name a few. Rugby league is quickly becoming a strongly contested game in these regions, but what can our professional ranks within England, Australia and New Zealand do to help these nations develop even further?

The answer is not purely money or grants, the answer also lies in experience and training. My proposal is to have a collaborative effort by the NRL and ESL to adopt a developing nation. In this process each club in the NRL and ESL will adopt a nation that is in the process of developing rugby league. These clubs will take the nations best players under their training regime at the start of the off-season.

Through the off-season the members of this national team will train with an NRL club, see how a professional club operates and train’s to make them the elite professionals they are. The will learn about nutrition, tactics and the physical barriers these players push through on a yearly basis. During this time it will provide these emerging players with great experience and the ability to better their games and improve their potential as players. But some may ask what the clubs get out of this?

The clubs would get grants from the NRL with the new TV rights to enable them to facilitate these teams, but should one of these emerging nations’ players be good enough, and up to rigorous standards of first grade, then that player will be exempt from the salary cap. For example, should Samoa merge with Penrith Panthers and the Panthers discover a player with enormous potential and want to play him in first grade, that player will be exempt. Only then will we see clubs opening their doors and taking a gamble on these emerging nations’ players as it will bear minimal risk for a potentially maximum pay off.

However, the other innovation along with this proposal is to play a nation’s cup alongside the NRL season. Prior to premier league games, emerging nation’s best players, who are already affiliated with a club will play on match day in front of the clubs supporters. If these nations play competitive football all year, it will improve the development of league in their nation and attract more players to the code if they are successful in the nation’s cup.

The development of the international game is our duty. The NRL, ESL, ARL and NZRL must band together and help the international game develop. By offering developing nations an opportunity to train in a professional environment and play competitively year round is a stepping stone to something better, something that we have long craved for, an international competition that rivals rugby union. These developments will help retain our stars along with unearthing leagues of new stars as the game develops. The responsibility is on us to help these nations and in the end our efforts will be rewarded by having a competitive World Cup that we can be proud of as supporters of this great game.

746 Words

pantherz9103

First Grade
This is a mate of pantherz9103's posting on his behalf. Pantherz9103 is unable to post because he is on holidays. So please sub him.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for Penrith

A Letter To A Disgruntled Player Manager

Dear Sir,

This is a letter notifying you of our findings at our most recent meeting regarding player managers.

As you were previously made aware, our meeting held on March 9 2006, was to reveal the findings of our investigation into the players you manage, the ways they have been paid, if the payments are correct and legitimate and most importantly, That the players wages did not exceed their contract and their clubs salary cap restrictions.

As you were also informed, this was not a solitary investigation. All player managers were investigated for the abovementioned reasons, as a means of trying to stop illegitmate payments to players as part of the contract.

Below are listed the findings of our investigation into your management. Now before there is an inquest, the committee asks that you respond in kind to this letter, so that you can explain the actions and/or reasons behind each instance. We feel that this may make us aware of any oversights on our behalf. It may also prevent any further action being taken.

You are the manager of seven NRL Players. These are the players payments that we investigated. Here are our findings.

Player #1 - Mark Gasnier (St.George-Illawarra Dragons, NSW, Australia)

We found that there were many suspicious payments made to Gasnier as part of his contract, and some which exceeded his contract. Those payments are listed below, would you be able to explain these payments and how they are relevant.

a) an undisclosed amount, which we roughly estimated to be in vicinity of $10,000 and $298,000 worth of ETA Barbecue Sauce.

b) there is an allowance in Mark's contract for 35 mobile phones per season. Why is this large amount of mobile phones neccessary?

c) there is a payment from some company called "Waratahs." Who are they? Also their payment of $400,000 is not part of Mark's contractual agreement.

Player #2 - Willie Mason (Canterbury Bulldogs, NSW, Australia)

We have kept this contract very quiet and very secure as there are some quite odd, and we believe borderline illegal, payments, allowances and gifts included into his contract that should never have been made.

As you may recall, we spoke to you at length several times to this contract, and we would like you to explain to us, fully, about how everything we have deemed illegitimate, is actually well within bounds of our laws.

Player #3 - Simon Woolford (Canberra Raiders)

There's just the one finding here. His contract was all correct, but after Round One he received $200,000 worth of Tissues, from Kleenex, which were added to his contract.

Player #4 - Justin Murphy (New Zealand Warriors)

We found he was getting paid. Please explain.

Player #5 - Andrew Johns (Newcastle Knights, NSW, Australia)

According to the receipts, there have been several visits to a local rhinoplasty clinic in Newcastle, not just by Andrew, but by several other people that you have signed for, however all these have been added to Johns' contract, rather oddly under the heading of 'incentives'.

Player #6 - Craig Gower (Penrith Panthers, NSW, Australia)

We have receipts here from Liquorland that are quite excessive, which are part of Craig's match bonus. However his contract states that his bonus was to be a payment into his nominated bank account.

Player #7 - Anthony Minichiello (Sydney Roosters, NSW, Australia)

This one come as a surprise, he's getting paid $6 million per game it seems according to your records, yet he still manages to fit well under the salary cap for the Sydney Roosters.

If you would be able to respond to this letter at your earliest convenience, we will be able to correct any discrepancies that may be visible immediately, with the prospect of avoiding any further investigations into these matters.

If you wish to contact us, you can email us at justgotothekitchen@yourhouse.com to which we will respond to your enquiry as hastily as possible.

We thank you for your time and efforts in helping us remain as one of the most organised, professional and well managed competitions in the world today.

Yours Sincerely

Mr P. Niss
The Honourable Secretary Tresaurer
NRL Player Manager Deshonking Committee

700 words including title

[furrycat]

Coach
[furrycat] for Penrith

A Letter to the NRL

Dear Sir,

I am writing this in response to a letter I received from your committee recently in regards to the investigations taking place.

I understand that player managers have been under investigation to ensure that players are being paid in conjunction with the salary cap and contractual guidelines. Your letter has given me the impression that you feel I have breached certain guidelines– which is certainly NOT the case. I intend to prove that my dealings with the players mentioned have been completely legitimate, and have been complied with the guidelines supplied to me. The discrepancies you have described are completely false and I have addressed them below.

Player 1– Mark Gasnier
a) Mr Gasnier is not receiving payments in the form of ETA Barbeque sauce between $10,000 and $298,000. These payments were from a Mexican third-party sponsor– a chilli sauce company known as “Fire up beech”. Obviously, this is not included in a player’s salary.
b) Mr Gasnier requires 35 mobile phones a season for health reasons. He has a disorder called “Textus Require-us dickhead-us influenza”. Do you want to be responsible for Mr. Gasnier’s death? I should think not.
c) Mr Gasnier is a man who loves flowers. In fact, his nickname is ‘Flower Boy’. He is adamant in his role in saving the rare and beautiful Waratah. As for the payments, this is from a Rugby Union club. I ask that you read this paragraph again, realise it makes no sense whatsoever, and move on.

Player 2– Willie Mason
I will make the assumption you are referring to Mr. Mason’s medication he receives for his attention deficit disorder. How can this be deemed illegitimate? Surely if people can use marijuana for medicinal purposes, cocaine would have the same effect and therefore make it legal?
The only gifts Mr. Mason receives are soft plush toys, old bones and scratches behind his ears. If you believe this is an illegitimate part of the contract, I refer you to Section 4 of the Crimes Act (1900), which states:
“Sexual activities between two or more individuals of the same sex is only illegal if one or more of the participants are under the age of 18”. I, Mr. Mason and Billy (a Chihuahua) are all over this age– what we do in our spare time is OUR business, not yours.

Player 3- Simon Woolford
The tissues that Mr. Woolford received were used to pad his wonder-bra, which you may have also noticed was in his contract. Simon felt different to the other girls in his team, so these tissues were required to make him feel more confident around his peers.

Player 4- Justin Murphy
I cannot explain this one. You mean we were actually paying him MONEY to try and play? What was I thinking?

Player 5- Andrew Johns
If you had read the contract more clearly, you would notice Mr. Johns has schizophrenia, where he constantly feels as if he is a completely different person. The 495 different names noted in Mr. Johns’ contract as having gone to the clinic are all in fact just Mr. Johns. He thinks he is more than one person; I mean think about it, how else could one person sustain so many injuries in a period of 25 seconds?

Player 6- Craig Gower
More research on your part would have shown you that Mr. Gower does not drink. He bought the alcohol for underage kids. They claimed they had photos from a golf charity day of himself and Wayne Pearce’s daughter. We did not want to publicise these false allegations, so we felt it was best to sweep it under the rug. Surely the NRL can relate to our desire to do this.

Player 7- Anthony Minichiello
He is a Rooster; therefore he is exempt from the salary cap and is listed on the club’s grocery bill– read the guidelines more clearly.
I hope that the following clarifies the supposed discrepancies you have mentioned, and helps you understand how contracts in the NRL work. You must realise Mr. P. Niss that player managers are people too. We are just honest folk who are trying to make a living. Please exercise more care with your allegations in the future. Remember the following key rule:
“If it doesn’t make sense, blame the guy who doesn’t speak English”

I hope these problems are now resolved.

Sincerely,

Mr. I.M. Aloser
Player Manager
‘The correct generalisation of every player manager in the NRL’

750 Words with Title

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's go girls!

Sitting in the Northern stand at Parramatta stadium, I wait. There's a lull in the game, most of the players are at the other end of the field and few people can see the video from where we are.

It's about this moment that a well-formed line of Parramatta cheergirls make their way around to where I am. They've got pom-poms and skimpy outfits. They have a lifetime supply of foundation on their faces. They have fit, athletic bodies. They smile and sporadically wave their pom-poms. They pay most of their attention on the cute young kids standing at the fence. In all honesty, they look bored.

Sitting a number of rows back, a few quiet comments are made. "The brunette, third from the back - she's a goer," I hear. "Nah I like the blonde one in front of her, she's a quality piece of meat," follows it up. Nothing unusual or startling from my perspective - we're at a rugby league game in Parramatta, several punters are having a few drinks to go with their footy and the comments are kept relatively quiet.

Besides, the girls aren't actually doing anything, so what else is there to comment on?

They're walking around the ground, doing nothing in particular. Feeding a portion of the crowd's love of good looking girls. They'll do a dance on the field at half time, which would bring a tear to the eye of your local amateur choreographer. They form a guard for the player's entrance onto the field. Then they walk. Around and around and around, waving their pom-poms when the home side goes over the line.

Why are they here?

Is it morale? You're surrounded by fellow supporters, particularly if you're at home, and if your team gets lapped by 50 the cheergirls aren't going to make you feel better. Spectacle? Sure, but if I want to ogle good looking women I can go to my local newsagent and pick up a copy of Ralph or FHM. Admiration? No chance of that; one look at the cheerleaders in an NFL game will demonstrate how much talent our rugby league cheergirls don't have - or at least don't use.

So why are they here?

Rugby league's foundations are of the working class kind. Look at the 1970's, the "wonderful" era of the biff. Anyone who's made the transition into the 21st century knows that era is a thing of the past. The culture of drinking beer, belting each other on the field and sometimes belting their wives when they got home. Cheergirls eventually came along and just slotted in with the atmosphere. Wolf whistles were merely added to the repertoire of one-line chants.

It was all fine and dandy last century, but times have changed.

Multiculturalism, gender equality, full-time professionalism, take your pick. A lot of things have happened to our country and to the game of rugby league that has changed its culture immeasurably. David Gallop and the NRL have cracked down on fighting in the game. Security in the stands is at an all-time high. Drunken fan behaviour has been brought significantly under control. Invitations are open for the whole family to come out and watch the footy - even the sensitive ones.

So where does that leave our cheergirls, and those sly remarks? What about the chauvinists? What are we going to wolf-whistle at now?

The answer is that they all have to be put behind us. Unless they step up several notches and perform some really fantastic cheering routines, rugby league's cheergirls have only one way to go and that is out of the stadium. This week's incidents at the Bulldogs/Rabbitohs Easter Monday clash have shown that, as they are, cheergirls probably invite more problems than they are worth.

If they have to stay, get them more involved. Why don't they try harder to get the crowd involved? Come on girls, give us some cool chants! Show us your dancing talents! Be more sassy! If you hear a chauvinistic remark, respond with a big "YOU WISH!" instead of pretending you didn't hear it!

It's a simple formula, and one that's simply not being applied right now. All we have at the moment are a group of attractive young ladies, wearing skimpy clothes, putting themselves on display. Come on girls, show us what you can do!

Otherwise the negatives will forever outweigh the positives, and they'll become just another rugby league problem that needs solving.
---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

thickos

First Grade
thickos for the Raiders

200px-Canberraraiders.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++

Fire Starter

Combustion relies on three things; fuel, oxygen, and most importantly, an ignition source. Without the ignition source, the spark, no fire will ever eventuate. Analogy can be drawn to rugby league – the forwards the fuel, the backs the oxygen. But no matter the quality or quantity of the fuel and oxygen, the chemistry is incomplete without the halves – the spark.

Few appreciate that the most intense fire and the slowest rusting have the same reaction at their core. The NRL’s premier halves all operate at different speeds, controlling the tempo of their side in different ways. No bigger contrast can be seen than that between the explosive Benji Marshall and the evergreen Jason Smith.

Benji Marshall needs no introduction; he is an NRL superstar. Plagued by shoulder injuries early in his career, 2005 marked Benji’s arrival as one of the game’s dominant playmakers. Free of the injuries that had previously restricted his appearances for the Tigers, his presence led the joint venture to not only their maiden finals appearance, but their maiden premiership. Marshall was undoubtedly the player of the finals series, with his impact ranging from try-saving tackles against Brisbane to ‘that pass’ in the Grand Final to Pat Richards. Massive plays aside, his pace and step made him a continual handful for opposition defences. When Benji plays, the Tigers are equivalent to a raging inferno.

Jason Smith is in many ways the antithesis of Benji Marshall. At opposite ends of their careers, Smith plays a brand of football few others can match; rather than speeding the game up, he slows the game down. Many saw his return to the NRL for the Raiders in 2005 after 4 years in England as an impending disaster – after a string of injuries that kept him sidelined at Hull, how was his ageing body going to handle the rigours of the NRL?

What Jason Smith lacks in pace, however, he makes up for in football smarts. His debut season for Canberra was a revelation; despite the side finishing fourteenth, he regularly beat opposition defences with delayed passes and clever decoys. At full strength the Smith-led Raiders were a threat to even the top teams in the competition, and as a long-suffering Canberra fan it was a delight to see a world-class playmaker at the Raiders once again. Jason Smith might move as quickly as rust develops, but his contribution to a young Raiders side was immense. Similar to Benji, in Smith’s absence, his side was a rudderless ship. The spark was no longer there.

Only days ago, during the Grand Final rematch against the Cowboys, the Tigers’ premiership defence suffered a massive blow as Marshall dislocated his shoulder – again. The fifth time he has suffered such an injury at only 21, questions were raised as to the longevity of Benji’s potentially brilliant career. Surgery seems to be likely at the conclusion of the NRL season, while his team-mates have to struggle on without him for the next six weeks. After an already shaky start to the season, can his side survive without the spark he provides?

Signing on for another season with the Raiders, Jason Smith has started 2006 slowly – although it would not be in his nature to start the year with a bang. Many have said Smith has hung around one season too many, that age is catching up with him. Yet to rubbish his contribution is to not appreciate how significant Smith is to an inexperienced Raiders outfit. In the opening round success at Manly and the golden-point victory against Penrith in Canberra, it was invariably Smith who threw the final pass for a Raiders try. It was Smith who continually provided attacking opportunities for the Raiders, and it will be Smith who will assist the development of the talented young halves the Raiders have on their books. One of the most astute purchases by the club in recent memory, ‘Mr Rust’ will continue to be the most crucial player in the Raiders side throughout 2006. The explosive young halves will have to wait.

After purchasing land near the Queensland border, Smith will depart the national capital at season’s end, most likely to retire. Yet his services have already been sounded out by the entering Gold Coast side, proof that no matter how slow the reaction is, rust will keep on going. Sadly, for both the Tigers and the league community, the explosion that is Benji Marshall may be extinguished too soon.

+++++++++

750 words including title

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sub:
Skeepe - OUT
Schfity - IN (Now posting under Stelious Grapasomething or rather :lol:, apologies to the ref for this mistake in the original team line up)

Stelios Giannakopoulos. comes on as a late replacement for his team mate and to try help the Raiders save this match.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Renewed Hope - Canberra 2007

When Neil Henry’s name was tossed around as a potential replacement for Matt Elliott in 2007, the reaction of many Canberra fans was: "Neil who?"

But a bit of research will tell you that this man is by no means a rookie coach. He has 20 years of experience and is currently assistant coach to the most exciting attacking team in the competition.

Raiders management had been quoted as saying they were after a high profile coach while searching for a replacement for Elliott.

Now while Henry might not be high profile, the emerging consensus amongst Canberra fans is that he is by far the best option for the Green Machine.

With Daniel Anderson and Terry Matterson under contract and no chance of being released, the decision came down to:

* Neil Henry- exciting young coach, who has a solid record of juniors, likes an attacking style of footy;

or

* Chris Anderson- former Premiership winning coach who will now forever have the reputation of tearing clubs apart, and notably letting go a Dally M Player of the Year, who went on to win a premiership the following year.

Prior to the club's decision to appoint Henry being announced, Canberra fans were split on this issue. Some believed that a tough, old-school Anderson was the solution. Some believed the young up-and-comer, with a good record of junior development, was the answer.

When Henry was appointed many fans were happy. But since Henry started getting some air time, he seems to have almost everyone converted.

The words “attacking footy”, “offloads” and “short passes" were ones that Canberra fans hadn’t really heard from a coach in five years.

When Henry started talking about how he believes in the young talent in the club and wants to turn the team into an attacking side, it was almost beyond belief - for fans who had become accustomed to the conservative middle of the park style that has become a norm in Canberra.

But, at the same time, Henry has been realistic. He acknowledged that transforming the style of the side would not happen overnight - he knows that changing an entire football side's mentality takes time.

Players in the Raiders camp seem to be as excited as the fans at the thought of playing this attacking style of rugby league.

Raiders centre David Howell has been quoted as saying: "It will be exciting [to play] a different style of football and have a new change. I think it will be good for the players that have been here for a while as well to have something different.”

If you think Howell is excited, just imagine how young halves William Zillman and Marc Herbert are feeling. When Henry was asked about how he would fill the void left by Jason Smith's likely departure at the end of 2006, he talked about how he has seen the likes of Carney, Zillman and Herbert play and how he has faith in them and believes that they will step up to the next level. The number six jersey up for grabs next season. Todd Carney will probably get first shot at the #7 which means Zillman and Herbert will be playing their hearts out to try impress Henry enough to win the #6 jersey. Healthy competition for any spots is always a positive thing, having it in the halves is even better.

The issue of Canberra's inability to attract “big name” players to club has been a significant talking point recently. It is why the club was thought to favour a "high profile" coach. Many excuses have been trundled out in the past... "Canberra is too cold” or "Canberra is too boring for young players keen night time action."

Henry doesn’t bother with these old excuses. After his appointment, he simply stated that immediately recruiting the big names would be tough. But he also said he believes passionately in the young talent in Canberra and surrounding districts. He said that the Raiders have some great young players in the ranks already who want to play finals footy - and if Canberra can consistently perform and make finals footy, players will want to come here.

A coach that has faith in juniors, passionate about the local area, wants to turn us into an attacking machine... Things are looking much better in the nation's capital.

The question remains, however: Will Neil Henry be the man that revives the mighty Green Machine? Only time will tell.
--------------------------------------------------
750 words between the lines

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sub: Raider_69 - IN
Dubby - OUT

Edited:

Dubby fine to take his place in the team, apologises for the mix up

ozzie

Bench
THE ROOSTERS TRAINING GROUND

A friend asked me the other day “where is the main training ground for the Roosters - the Sports Ground?” For a moment I was stumped and then remembered most of their training is done at Wentworth Park.

He took a swallow and nearly burst out laughing, saying “fancy a first grade team training there“. Not knowing what was at Wentworth Park myself, beside dogs, I went looking for answers.

After discussing this question with a member of the Club he told me that it has one of the best training facilities in Sydney and has the following going for it:

a. The Park is only 1/2 kilometre from China Town and the Star Casino, and the light rail system service the Park on a regular basis. Not that the players would catch the light rail, as they would be too busy driving their own cars to the Park for training.

b. The Park has considerable bar and catering facilities (I know that from going to the dogs - in more than one way). It is perfect to facilitate meetings and entertain VIPs. I hope the VIP’s enjoy being entertained by the club because the poor old mug supporters, like me, are not at the moment.

c. Corporate dining Rooms and meeting facilities to cater for large or small meetings.

d. Evidently the Park has a great playing surface so the Roosters cannot use this as an excuse about not being able to tackle. Soccer teams both international and Australian, Rugby Union Clubs as well as The NSW State of Origin Teams have trained there as well. I guess for the SOO team it was better going to the dogs than falling off horses.

e. A well-set up gymnasium.

Wentworth Park has had an interesting pass. It was originally a swamp known as Black Wattle Creek. Many abattoirs were in the area and even after removing them the swamp still stunk foul (fowl). It was then decided to fill in the swamp and turn it into some place for the community to gather. Concerts, movies and band recitals were held there.

World War 1 saw the commencement of the run-down of the Park. The trustees, like most public bodies couldn’t run a train service let alone a Park and it started to run into serious financial problems. Various ideas were floated for its use. Speedway, tin hare coursing, and a fun park were some.

The depression put a stop to all these ideas. Enter Greyhounds in 1932 and
World War 2. Again like in WW1, the Park was commandeered by the Army and was made a base for the American Army for the duration of the war.

Things were looking “crook in Tallarook” for the Park but the Trustees decided to go to the dogs. From being a mediocre park and not to attracting to many people, it has now become a world class Greyhound Park. This has taken over 30 years to achieve. This reminds me of the efforts and time the Water board need in fixing a leak after you ring them to report one. The Government, for the first time in history and most probably the last, moved the GBOTA from Harold Park to combine with the NCA at Wentworth Park. Approximately 36 clubs are also now using the facilities.

Ever since I have been going to the dogs - I have never thought of the history of the Park and couldn’t have cared but since now my Club uses it I wanted to know why. The Park has always been, in my opinion, in the struggling part of town. But how thing change?

It is now set in a great harbour setting, the Park is no longer an eye sore and the surrounds are parks, cricket grounds etc. Let’s not forget Darling Harbour and the Casino that also brings a touch of class to the old Park.

After telling my mate this information and especially about the dogs - he was muttering to himself “no wonder they are having troubles with their halfbacks, they don’t know whether to back numbers 7, 6 or 9.

That’s my story - hope you enjoyed it - my apologies go to the Sydney Water Board (sigh!!), the NSW government (some of them would be too drunk at their Parliament Bar to know the difference) and last of all the Roosters. That’s my Club........

Wentworth Park is a really a great facility.

dubby

Bench
Late change: Dubby takes his original place in the team.

Lamentations; the demise of a great club and a bygone era.

It is with great anticipation this mere morsal of a man starts the 2006 NRL season. Even though his team has been nominated most likely to collect the wooden spoon, he is ever the optimist and is positive his side of choice; the Canberra Raiders will surprise many a critic this year.
After a positive start to the season with a convincing triumpth over Manly at the fortress known as Brookvale oval, Mr Positive is ever so joyful. "This will learn those doomsayers" he thinks to himself. However, Mr Positive is in for a very rude shock.
In what is the Raiders 25th birthday season, it seems the man himself has returned to the 1982 era, when the Raiders were the easy beats of the competition. The two worst defeats this once mighty club has ever suffered, have just been inflicted. One scoreline posts a 70 point scoreline against Mr Positives team. Never in 25 years has this occurred. The following week, another demorolising defeat at the hands of the Sydney Roosters. Not a 70 point scoreline, but a 56 point concession in points conceded, has Mr Positive in a Rugby League supporters coma. He is rushed to the NRL supporters hospital to be saved. Nureses and doctors go about their work. A drip is inserted. Prayers are uttered. Relateives concerned. Mr Positive is blissfully unaware of all this. He just sleeps. And sleeps. And dreams.
While in his coma, Mr Positive revists another era of his life. He is taken back in time to when his team, the Canberra Raiders, were the team who used to dish out the hidings and inflict misery and woe into the heart of opposition supporters. Back to an era when footballs were changing from leather to synthetic. The same era that packed scrums for a purpose, and when teams stood only a matter of meters apart. The year was 1987. Mr Positive is looking at the 12 year old version of himself. It is with great meloncholy, yet greater peace he watches the Raiders team of 1987 on the television. Players like Meninga, Jackson, Lance and Backo were pioneering a tam that will revolutonise Rugby League forever . A grand final is reached and the people of the ACT have a team. The next thing its 1988. Before him appear the team that played such attacking football it changed the way people play the greatest game of all. We see the introduction of Clyde, Daley, Lazarus, all coached by the man known as Sheens. Something stirs in the giants belly, the giant we call Canberra.
Look out, its 1989. Oh my god. This team attacks with such flair, skill and speed, it has captured the publics attention, and an era is catapulted into stardom. It is now that this once infantile club has been taken seriously. People sit up and take notice of this juggernaut that cannot be halted. What can be the consequence of this flair?
Mr Positive dreams on. 1989 brings premiership glory, and what a premiership match it was. A game without peer, and that will go in the history books as the best ever.
The era continues. 1990, more success, more glory. 1991 a year of controversy and injury, but the mighty green machine marches to the Grand Final full of pain killers and determination. But its not enough. 1992 sees the team torn apart. 1993 sees the team reborn. No Lazarus on the books, but by gosh they are back like the famed biblical character. 1994 sees what is likely the best team ever thunder to the final match of the year and smash their hapless enemy without mercy.
Mr Positive is so full of joy, peace and tranquility. He doesn't want to leave this place.
But something stirs. It gets clearer. And clearer. And clearer. Awake. He hears machines beeping. There's a television playing somewhere. He can hear the commentators clearly. They are very excited. It seems there is an extra time match being played. Hang on. Its his team! The Raiders have just kicked an extra time field goal to nudge out the undefeated Panthers at Canberrra Stadium!
Yet, while his joy is great, reality sets in after a few moments. Its 2006, and there is no Stuart, Meninga, Daley. Only Crokers, Smiths and Shifcofskes.
Reality. "Nurse" he calls out feebly. The nurse runs in, ecstatic that this comatose patient is awake."Yes, Mr Positive?" she says. "Send me back to sleep, please, i don't like how this story ends".

raiders.gif

IBG makes a last ditch effort for the Raiders to score the winning points...

===================

Who Am I?

I was born in 1895.

As you'd expect, one of my parents - for arguments sake, let's call him Mr. Boring - had a large effect on my creation. A few of the traits that you see from me today was a direct result from Mr. Boring. As I grew older, I realised that I was never going to be like my parent, nor did I want to be. Like a rebellious teenager in my adolescent years, I started to develop my own set of rules. I deviated away from what people knew me as, and I never looked back.

Few gave me a chance to succeed. It was then that I realised that I had to spread the word of my existance to become successful. As everyone started to truly understand what I was about, not only was I starting to become popular in England - my country of origin - but it was Australia that really started to appreciate me. After I immigrated to the land down under in 1908, it sparked interest in me that not even I expected.

As the years passed my popularity increased exponentially, and soon I was showcased as the highlight of Australian sport, and it was a role that I relished.

But with this popularity came a lot of constant criticism from the media. It wasn't long before I was linked to off-field behavioural problems, drug-related issues, and inappropriate treatment of women. I was, and still am, the media bad boy. If you have a look at some of my competition and what they get away with, you have to wonder just why I'm not given a fair go at times. But I take it as a compliment - it's because I'm so popular that people try to bring me down.

I never get recognised for the good things that I accomplish. You never hear about me hosting charity functions and giving large donations to those who need them most. You hardly ever read feel good stories about me making a dying child's wish come true. It's also rare to hear about the work I do in the junior community in developing my exposure to the rural areas of Australia. But that's OK, I don't do it to get a pat on the back, I do it because I enjoy doing so.

Without wanting to sound like an egomaniac, my ultimate goal is to become the most popular entity in the sporting world. It's not because I'm greedy, it's because I want to spread the happiness that I know I provide to countless others who aren't even aware of my existence. It's an uphill battle though, that I won't deny. Despite Mr. Boring being my parent, he and I have a fierce rivalry that still exists to this day. It's the same as whenever you face your relatives in a competitive sporting environment, you always want to come out on top with bragging rights. Together we are locked in a tussle to attract exposure to each other that will never really die, but if you ask me, I'm the one who always comes out on top.

I am filled with moments of pure exhilaration and bitter disappointment. You never know which side of me you're going to get, and that is what's so special about me.

I hurt people on a weekly basis. I can cause permanent discomfort to people for the rest of their lives. But those are the risks people take, and if you ask every other player out there and they will say they will do it all again.

I represent true pride and passion. You see the people in the stands cheering for me non-stop come rain, hail or shine and you know there are people out there who are committed to the final whistle.

I feature heart-stopping entertainment and memories that will always be etched into the annals of time. Whether it be a Harlem Globetrotters-esque four-pointer or a crucial try-saving tackle, week in and week out there are moments of me that you'll replay over and over in your head.

I symbolise skill and athleticism. There are times where you'll simply scratch your head when watching me during an electric play, asking yourselves "How is that even possible?". Every single week I'll raise the bar.

I bring joy to millions of people each game.

I am what we're all here to discuss.

I am the greatest game of all.

I am Rugby League.

===================

750 words including title.

Looks like a top quality match, some great articles from both sides there. Gonna be a tough one for us.

Best of luck Panthers... not too much of course. :)

Latest posts