What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

Frank Facer

First Grade
How do you justify dropping Aitken? We all want Lomax in the team but on form you just can't drop Euan at the moment
I justify dropping Aitken because I think Lomax is a better centre than him. If I was selecting the team, I wouldn't have had Aitken in the team to begin with, so I wouldn't have to drop him. He is a one dimensional. He still hasn't learnt how to set up his winger and pass the ball to him. lol He also is a weakness in defence. To top it off we need Lomax in the side for his goal kicking now.

Maybe Aitken should be on the bench? He could cover for an injury to a back and be able to come on and play in the forwards. He would make a better lock than Mann. He did play most of his juniors at lock.

Maybe he should be playing wing in Canterbury Cup, with the idea of promoting him to first grade if he was good enough there? He would have to do a lot of work on his ability under the high ball, but wing could be his spot, as he likes to tuck the ball under his arm and run. He is a strong runner of the ball.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'd personally would like to see Lomax slot in at centre with Aitken pushed to the wing. Ravalawa has talent but needs the experience in reserve grade to develop and understand the game better. Lomax is a quality goal-kicker and that's important IMO.
I think Aitken had a game or 2 on the wing and it didn't work out very well. I can see why you say Aitken to wing and Lomax to centre. If Lomax plays wing outside of Aitken, he won't get any quality ball from Aitken, which effectively handicaps our right hand side attack. Aitken has also been handicapping our right side defence for the last few years. Our defence should be better with Lomax centre and our attack should be better with Lomax centre. Lomax could feed Aitken the ball and Aitken can just run without having to think about passing the ball. I would be concerned about Aitken competing for high balls against the likes of Oates, Vunivulu, Mamolo, Cotric and other tall wingers.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I justify dropping Aitken because I think Lomax is a better centre than him. If I was selecting the team, I wouldn't have had Aitken in the team to begin with, so I wouldn't have to drop him. He is a one dimensional. He still hasn't learnt how to set up his winger and pass the ball to him. lol He also is a weakness in defence. To top it off we need Lomax in the side for his goal kicking now.

Maybe Aitken should be on the bench? He could cover for an injury to a back and be able to come on and play in the forwards. He would make a better lock than Mann. He did play most of his juniors at lock.

Maybe he should be playing wing in Canterbury Cup, with the idea of promoting him to first grade if he was good enough there? He would have to do a lot of work on his ability under the high ball, but wing could be his spot, as he likes to tuck the ball under his arm and run. He is a strong runner of the ball.

Given McIdiot has already shown his hand by declaring Dufty will come in immediately for Widdop, you’ve raised a very good point.

If Lomax isn’t selected, who is going to kick goals. Lafai or Hunt doesn’t really fill me with confidence.

Maybe the following (while definitely not ideal) would suffice?

1. Dufty
5. Lomax (in lieu of Ravalawa)
6. Norman (replacing Widdop).

I doubt it will happen though,

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I was one saying that we should have let Widdop go as soon as we signed Norman, but I wanted us to get the extra 900K salary cap space that Widdop is taking up this year. I also said that I would have played Widdop centre in our best 13.

We can still drop Aitken after tonight's game, but I will be surprised if he gets dropped all season.

I understand your reservations regarding Aitken’s flaws, but it that was his best performance for while.

It’s frustrating that as someone who is such a powerful ball runner, he can’t pass adequately. There is a good footballer hiding below the surface.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Feel for Widdop.....Ive watched the incident over and over and have no doubt the injury was caused by Boyd reefing at his arm while he was on the ground....we were by far the better team on the night and if we had lost it would have been an injustice ....they scored 3 arsey tries and Ive no doubt the Oates try where Bird got his fingers on the ball and promoted it forward should never had been allowed.....loose carry call on our winger was utter rubbish.....even if it had of been Bird was the last person to touch the ball before it went forward to Oates

In the old days, the incident involving Widdop/Boyd would’ve been called a voluntary tackle against SGI.

With Widdop gone, hope Dufty gets to fullback.
Norman stays at 5/8.
Lomax in the centres and doung our goal kicking.
Atiken to wing if need be.
He played very well tonight.
Rava must go.
No tackles, really poor in many areas, for several weeks.
Yep Paul clearly had trouble making a decision he tried to play them all so now it’s been taken out of his hands and he’s been forced to play next years side now my only fear is we make the semis and he brings widdop back and that disrupts it all oh Jesus that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Yep Paul clearly had trouble making a decision he tried to play them all so now it’s been taken out of his hands and he’s been forced to play next years side now my only fear is we make the semis and he brings widdop back and that disrupts it all oh Jesus that’s what’s going to happen isn’t it?
I really think we've seen the last of Gaz Widdop as a fullback and also the last time in the mighty RedV jersey. He'll need plenty of time to get over this 3rd dislocation.
Out of every negative comes a positive & I truely believe we need Matt Dufty's speed & ability to break open a game. He won plenty for the Dragons last year and will only get better.

I really think we've seen the last of Gaz Widdop as a fullback and also the last time in the mighty RedV jersey. He'll need plenty of time to get over this 3rd dislocation.
Out of every negative comes a positive & I truely believe we need Matt Dufty's speed & ability to break open a game. He won plenty for the Dragons last year and will only get better.
100% agree with you lomax to center duff to full back Norman 6 hunt 7 I wouldn’t be surprised if Corey comes out of his shell now I think having widdop there constricted him a bit well the shackles are off now and last night had to of given them a massive confidence boost look for them to go on a run now! GO SAINTS!!

hazzbeen

Bench
The Broncos forwards looked like they were intimidated by our pack , 2x Mongrel Sims boys ..... All the team stood up , coach again looked surprised with the win .... Anyway good luck to Mary , give credit where its due ..... I hope he continues to deliver and I for one will get off the Sack Mary Bus , but its only one game then it will be back to SACK MARY .......:)

lynx000

Juniors
Congratulations, you pulled our pants down again. I have not seen the game yet (got dragged out for a dinner with the wife), that joy awaits me today. Apparently you can rely on our numpties to play your numpties back into form. Well the up side is another three year extension for Mary.

giboz71

First Grade
Big difference was that McInnes, Hunt and Norman all stepped up (unlike the last 2 rounds).

Makes a massive difference when the spine performs (probably because Hunt and McInnes stayed in their usual positions).

With Widdop out now, that needs to be the standard every week.

emack

Juniors
With Widdop gone for an extended period, what do you guys think of Lomax to fullback (his favoured position) and leave Dufty on the bench? We may have seen Widdop's lat game as a dragon if it was the same shoulder.

Dragons4me

Juniors
How do you justify dropping Aitken? We all want Lomax in the team but on form you just can't drop Euan at the moment
I thought McInnes was outstanding. What he did in defense was nothing short of a masterclass last night. And when he scored that try!
Put the (c) next to this kids name, hes a keeper.

Totally agree. What a huge effort by McInnes. Man of the match for mine.

Smurf

Juniors
Well - I didn’t see that coming
What a sensational win !!!!!

I am going to watch the full replay again today .....

Also - I really feel for Gaz - wishing him all the best - fingers crossed we get him back at the end of the season.