What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Vs Broncos

True_Believer

Juniors
Ive looked several times at the replay and it appeared to me that Boyds reefing at his arm/shoulder to drag him back towards the try line was the main cause....I could me wrong

You could be right BSE - I saw his arm extended when he went down for the ball and then Boyd reefing at the arm. I thought the initial injury may have been caused by the landing. Comments during the game on Fox said they had heard he was trying to switch the ball between arms because he'd lost complete use of the busted arm.

True_Believer

Juniors
The real tragedy is that we could have let Widdop go for season 2019 and used his salary to recruit a couple of much needed top line players. Now Widdop will use SGI salary to get himself injury free for his next assignment and SGI will struggle missing the opportunity fo bringing in a couple of players to bolster our squad.

Wrong. You keep using this as an option when it wasn't. Get past it.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
You could be right BSE - I saw his arm extended when he went down for the ball and then Boyd reefing at the arm. I thought the initial injury may have been caused by the landing. Comments during the game on Fox said they had heard he was trying to switch the ball between arms because he'd lost complete use of the busted arm.
Ok cheers mate

possm

Coach
Insaneness...just following your lead.
And I have said before Aitken to bench but I am coming up with ideas that would fit in with the limited thinking and prowess that Mary has.
Moving Aitken to the other side is insanity. He is suited to the right because of his step and fend...he wont defend any better over that side and Mary wont move him either or Lafai so you are flogging a dead horse.
I am trying to make changes to fit into Mary's narrow thinking cause at the end of the day that is all that will possibly only ever happen...just being realistic....not your utopia stuff
By the way why dont you admit Possm. Mary's love child played alright last night
You really think he is going to get dropped or Lafai on that performance
Last night:
Aitken's running game was really good.
Aitken's defence was much improved.
Aitken's passing game was very poor.
Aitken's positional play was poor.
Aitken's suitability for first grade confirmed to me that he is more suited to a backrow positon.

possm

Coach
Wrong. You keep using this as an option when it wasn't. Get past it.

Wow! I must have missed something. I remember when the news first came out that Widdop wanted a release and then some days later the strory was that he has been granted a release for 2020 on.

My personal thoughts are that Widdop and Mary had a blow-up during the off-season, most probably in January, and at the time Widdop advised he wanted out to finish his career in the ESL.

One day this version will be confirmed, probably after Mary is sacked and Widdop is gone.

denis preston

First Grade
Shames about our Captain, something had to give, maybe thats why Corey was bought early

BINGO ! An insurance buy for sure.Congrats to the club here as they knew there was a possability that this scenario would happen .

Remember a player in the 80's ( mick patterson ) from the eels ? A 5/8 , Anyhow he looked SOO ready but busted his shoulder.He ended up busting both and then several times and ended up having to retire.

possm

Coach
BINGO ! An insurance buy for sure.Congrats to the club here as they knew there was a possability that this scenario would happen .

Remember a player in the 80's ( mick patterson ) from the eels ? A 5/8 , Anyhow he looked SOO ready but busted his shoulder.He ended up busting both and then several times and ended up having to retire.

If the Club thought this might happen, I don't doubt your point here, the more astute decision would have been to sign a replacement, which SGI did, but to let Widdop go for 2019. In this way the risk is gone and the ability to by a couple of good first grade backs is made possible.

True_Believer

Juniors
Wow! I must have missed something. I remember when the news first came out that Widdop wanted a release and then some days later the strory was that he has been granted a release for 2020 on.

My personal thoughts are that Widdop and Mary had a blow-up during the off-season, most probably in January, and at the time Widdop advised he wanted out to finish his career in the ESL.

One day this version will be confirmed, probably after Mary is sacked and Widdop is gone.

That's far from what happened but irrespective, you can't just let a player go without some sort of compensation. As I've stated in another post, it was a contract renegotiation and not a request for release. The club would not have retain any of his income had they released him this year.

denis preston

First Grade
I think Latimore is a decent front rower and always has been. I really liked him when he first came on the scene with us all those years ago. I think, however, Mary should be freeing his position for someone with a few more legs, someone who's not past their best. I can't remember Vaughan getting a rest tonight yet Latimore seemed pooped not long after having a few hit ups, despite playing well. He's a good reliable player with experience to bring in when our depth of front rowers is tested but McGregor should be looking to the future in that department. We've got some good young'en props who seemed to be banging the door down in trials.

Didn't think he did anything outstanding last night that any other player couldn't do.Big body sure but he is becoming a negative roadblock to Robson & Kerr in particular who will at worst bring some speed.

The real tragedy is that we could have let Widdop go for season 2019 and used his salary to recruit a couple of much needed top line players. Now Widdop will use SGI salary to get himself injury free for his next assignment and SGI will struggle missing the opportunity fo bringing in a couple of players to bolster our squad.
Yep totally agree possum Im one of these guys that once you say you’re gone just go no point lingering for 12 months soaking up cap space

denis preston

First Grade
I'd personally would like to see Lomax slot in at centre with Aitken pushed to the wing. Ravalawa has talent but needs the experience in reserve grade to develop and understand the game better. Lomax is a quality goal-kicker and that's important IMO.
I was surprised with Aitkins speed last night but not with his attempt at passing to Rav. Winger could be a very good option and his take ups would be strong. Very much worth considering _ 2 very creative centres in Lomax & Lafai ( how did he get that ball away when thrown into touch by 3 players ? ) with 2 very strong wingers with enough speed & strength to get them over the line when needed.

So explain to me how this would work? I really can't see how it can.
Once Norman was signed a hard decision had to be made and the way he’s shuffled the deck in the last two weeks suggests he wasn’t prepared or capable of making that decision possms correct now it’s a salary cap burden for the rest of this year

True_Believer

Juniors
Once Norman was signed a hard decision had to be made and the way he’s shuffled the deck in the last two weeks suggests he wasn’t prepared or capable of making that decision possms correct now it’s a salary cap burden for the rest of this year

But it would have been no matter what. Widdop didn't ask for a release from this year. It was a renegotiation to leave a year early - not 2. And then, after that, we signed Norman. So you can't then turn around and say "no we don't need you now" without having to compensate the player you are trying to let go as he is under contract.

As I've said in another thread - look at the way clubs wanting to offload players have to pay a portion of their salary when another club picks them up. If they could just "offload" them, they wouldn't be paying anything. But it doesn't work like that. Given the player is still under contract they are still liable to pay their salary. In the case of another club picking up the player, They get to offload the player with partial compensation (mostly a large portion of the salary). In Widdops case, there is no one who would want to pick him up for a year before he starts in ESL. So the club would have had to pay the full amount or (and I'm no lawyer but making an assumption) face unfair dismissal claims.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Well - I didn’t see that coming
What a sensational win !!!!!

I am going to watch the full replay again today .....

Also - I really feel for Gaz - wishing him all the best - fingers crossed we get him back at the end of the season.
I actually think better Widdop is on his way to pommie land... .

possm

Coach
That's far from what happened but irrespective, you can't just let a player go without some sort of compensation. As I've stated in another post, it was a contract renegotiation and not a request for release. The club would not have retain any of his income had they released him this year.
Not so, if WIDDOP WANTED OUT of his contract then what ever the deal agreed to by both parties is the deal. If SGI makes a decision to terminate Widdop's contract without his consent or without an agreement between the himself and SGI, then sure SGI is liable to pay compensation up to the value remaining on the contract.

It was Widdop who came to the Club requesting a release and it was the Club, after a few days granted a release on the proviso the termination date is post season 2019. No compensation required.

Latest posts