What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Friday 30th March @ ANZ Stadium V Bulldogs

doyen

Bench
That is the sort of performance that gets you into the top 8! We weren't playing well with the footy for the vast majority of the game but we hung in there, persisted and ultimately got the chocolates! For alot of the game we fell into the trap of playing too laterally, particularly when attacking the Bulldogs goal line. I feel that this was because the temptation of getting the ball into Inglis' hands out wide was far too great. Moreover, this was the sort of game where having a few set moves would have come in real handy. I know that Doyen and a few others love the ad-lib stuff but what happened early in the second half illustrates why you need some structure!

In saying that, our defence again got across the line. This game was further evidence that if all else fails, good defence can get you across the line. The tries we conceded were good tries; the opposition had to work hard to score them! Sam Burgess was the real difference! I've said it before and I'll say it again: the man contributes stuff that the stat sheet doesn't show. His constant hit in defence, his aggression and inspiration when Souths needed something are only things that can be quantified by watching him in the flesh! Other good performances came from the Burgess twins - again they seem to be a lot fresher than in previous years and I love the aggression they are playing with. Cameron Murray was another great performer, not just tonight, since the start of the season. He has basically become a better, more dynamic version and harder working of what Chris McQueen was!

In terms of our back, I think Greg Inglis really made some positive steps to recapturing his best form. You have to remember that when you are returning after such a long injury lay off, its going to take time to get back to your best. Dane Gagai is also such a good mover! I know I've said it before but he really adds some class to our backline. I thought we were going to miss Richie Kennar and the metres he was making from dummy half but Gagai filled the void. I just hope we don't waste him on the wing!

All in all, it was a great game and I was happy that we were able to come out on top in a real tough game of footy!

The game was horrible & a waste of a couple of hours of my life.

Sths won which is good but the game was shite & that's praising it!!

Whoever is in charge of those refs really doesn't get it--he's got to be a dope of the highest quality!!!!!

Any person who could
find anything good about RL in that game must be very easily pleased!

I watched it but really it was "unwatchable" shit!

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well where do I start lol!.......

Waiting to get into the stadium through my gate there was a massive line and you could just tell all around you we were outnumbered which I knew we would be. Just these Dogs families with their big families of 10 or so per family. It was boiling hot about 33-34C. The Dogs fans had their drums with them as well! Whilst we were outnumbered we weren't beaten in heart or passion of the diehard Bunny members that were there!

Now the Dogs came today with deliberate tactics to slow it down as much as they could to nullify Cook and our speed men. There was about 5 penalties in a row when we were attacking and I was very perplexed as to why the sin bin wasn't used. It was so so deliberate. Our play the balls were so much slower than theirs and they let things go and then if we did the exact same thing they penalised us in that second half heaps to even it up.

It really showed to me today that we missed Kennar greatly. In the shit work stakes the forwards had to do more and in that heat it drained them. Jennings going off concussed didn't help at all and Burns showed to me today that he isn't a first grader. First of all you have to learn to catch that's a basic. His timing was also out re his positional play... I don't wanna be too harsh as he scored a very good try and I know he tried really hard. Also early on the Dogs exposed Jennings under the high ball. That's an area he has to work on. Then Jennings came back on and looked to have passed his HIA but then did not come out for the second half??? What's wrong with him?? Is it another kind of injury??? Cause f**k we can't afford more injuries.

I was actually for big parts of that first half disappointed with Hunt as he only had 2 carries. Also his communication with Gagai broke down in the lead up to the first Dogs try. It should've been Gagai who went up for the ball. But Hunt rushed in and didn't get near the ball and left Morris in space to score.

I was disappointed with Gagai to in his defence in the lead up to the Dogs second try. It was poor and then he made a silly error near half time that put us under all sorts leading to the Dogs taking the penalty kick. Luckily in the second half Gagai redeemed himself and boy he lifted to international level like status when we needed him too. I'm not sure about him on the wing though. I prefer him at centre where he is more dangerous.

In that first half our line speed wasn't the best and we let the Dogs offload too much and let them get far too many post contact metres. At 12-0 I was really concerned and Foran had a shocker on that conversion and I thought there is still hope here.

In regards to Cook I felt at times our big boys didn't help him enough defensively at times in helping Cook put them down. The big dogs pack kept running at Cook and it really drained him actually plus then the slow play the balls would've been frustrating.. he was a bit hesitant at times but I think that was a fatigue thing. Cookie really lifted when it counted though at the back end which was great to see and I thought he did well defensively overall and it's not easy for a guy of his size.

I just felt today our halves weren't taking control. First half Cody ran sideways and in circles with not much purpose and I think made 4 for 9metres. Douiehi was caught out defensively today and it was a bit of a rollercoaster with him too with poor passes. In fact we seemed to be off with our timing in general and we were going to much sideways without going forwards. That's not how you win games. You have to do the hard yards first then use it which we did in the back end with good balance. Our last tackle options were quite poor too and we missed Adam Reynolds actually wth the poise and polish he gives plus goalkicking. Douiehi had shining moments though as did Cody. Douiehi wil only get better. I was very worried all week though his goal kicking may cost us. I got some tightness in my chest as did a few others when he missed that kick at 14-16. The Dogs faithful were really jeering him and it was such pressure on him which he will learn from. His grubber for Hymel was a play of a guy beyond his years.

Now at the 56th minute when Hunt crunched Morris in a trysaver that was bloody brilliant. Got us all to our feet. What a play. But then Morris was down for 2mins and imo he hit his head and should've been taken off for a HIA. Then next play finally comes and he milked that Sam hit up for all it was worth. Morris went high on Sam and I didn't think there was much Sam could do but brace himself. It's a contact sport too like Sam said to Cummins. So many players do it like JWH and get away with it all the time. In fact I'm proud of Seibs for showing passion in his press conference and yes he will probably get fined but good on Seibs for saying it as it is. There was no malice there. In fact if Sam gets charged which he will I see us going to the judiciary. Without Sam we can't beat Dragons or Roosters. Sam was bloody inspirational today. Best on paddock he was.

Now..

AJ: Is growing in confidence and did the little things well.
Hunt: Crucial try saver plus good pass to put Gagai away with 7mins left. Not enough inntye shit work stakes though and I was disappointed.
GI: He was not getting enough ball at times and we were yelling out he will catch a flu out here lol. His touches were very good today. I'd also like to see him start roaming more.
Gagai: not a good first half but a very good second half. I want him at centre.
Cody: A mixed bag butbtried extremely hard. Isn't a half though to really control things. He just is a guy who plays off instincts and naturally.
Doueihi: A rollercoaster as I said above. He is growing more and more though. I'm proud of him an do not wanna be too harsh.
Tom: Some real barnstorming runs. Played well and what a run towards the end.
Cook: Not at his best but pulled through. He was gutsy like I explained above and he copped a knock to his knee too. Wasn't easy innthe middle at all today. Cook will grow from that.
Sam: Just wow, that's all I'll say here. Legend
Sutton: Wow what an effort. Yes at times poor defensively but what a run in the lead up to that Hunt try. It was inspirational as was his play to set Murray up. It brought a tear to my eyes watching him play like that SUper Super Super Johnny Sutton!!!!!!!
Crichton: Our next best after Sam I think. His first half was very good and he was our best forward. Worked tirelessly.
Murray: what another gritty effort from him. So Proud!

Nicholls: Didn't do much but had to go off for the HIA test. He had a couple of strong carries.
Tatola: another great effort. Got us going forward when we needed it. I'm loving his energy and work in his stint.
George: Very good performance. Strong carries. I loved when he collared that Dogs player and then a ridonkulous penalty was given away wtf
Burns: A mixed bag. Sorry but I just see him as a depth player.

Last edited:

Rabbits20

Immortal
@callmack1 @Itsamansgame @Souths Till I Die @Travitoh @southsport

Enjoy my review above lads... I put lots of effort and passion into it....

I'm f**king pumped!!

I got no voice left.

Everyone was hugging and jumping and hi-fiving and going banana' when Murray went over like we'd won the Grand Final. What a feeling it was today and I won't forget this one in a while....

f**k yeah!!!

The guy behind me I know as crying at the end........ raw emotion

Last edited:

ThingFish

Juniors

I'm f**king pumped!!

I got no voice left.

Everyone was hugging and jumping and hi-fiving and going banana' when Murray went over like we'd won the Grand Final. What a feeling it was today and I won't forget this one in a while....

f**k yeah!!!

I couldn’t get out there yesterday, but I think my Strata Manager is going to get a lot of noise complaints today:joy: I can just imagine their voice mail will be full of “the large man in Unit 11 kept yelling “get them back the 10 ya cnts” over and over again for over an hour, then exploded with “yes,yes,yes you good things” then he got really drunk and kept singing a song called “Super Johnny Sutton” like for ages.” :thumbsup::rabbit::beers:

Last edited:

Itsamansgame

Juniors

I'm f**king pumped!!

I got no voice left.

f**k yeah!!!

So happy for you Rabbs, there is no better feeling than being in the middle of Rabbitoh heaven.
I haven't seen the game yet,myself and a few fellow red necks have made the journey to South Aussie...Coober Pedy for an attempt to find that opal that will give us early retirement.
Reading the comments it wasn't pretty but these are the results that count come September and it's always so nice to watch the Dogs supporters walking out of ANZ with their tails between their legs.
To lose Jennings early and not have Kennar playing would of put a lot of extra work on our forwards,they have both been great with their hit ups this year,anyway time for a beer for breaky.
Glory Glory Bunny Brethren!!!

Travitoh

First Grade

I'm f**king pumped!!

I got no voice left.

f**k yeah!!!

Pretty well how i saw the game. Nice write up.

A couple of things that you asked about - Jennings didn't return from the break due to delayed concussion
When George collared Montoya, i believe the penalty was against Nicholls for the flop.

callmack1

Staff member
Nice write up R20 and it would've been incredible to be there!!

I'm so pumped too and it's a win I'll never forget, you should've heard me when Murray scored!

Pommy

Coach
The game was horrible & a waste of a couple of hours of my life.

Sths won which is good but the game was shite & that's praising it!!

Whoever is in charge of those refs really doesn't get it--he's got to be a dope of the highest quality!!!!!

Any person who could
find anything good about RL in that game must be very easily pleased!

I watched it but really it was "unwatchable" shit!

You can’t blame the refs, blame th f**kwitted players who can’t stay onside.
Seriously people need to realise that we will get a better game in the long run if we endure some pain now.
Sooner or later it has to sink in that the enforcement has changed.

Travitoh

First Grade
Seriously people need to realise that we will get a better game in the long run if we endure some pain now.

Little discipline things such as Crichton not getting a foot behind the line on the fifth tackle.
It's round 4 now and players are still being pulled up for what is mostly an act of laziness.

Pommy

Coach
Little discipline things such as Crichton not getting a foot behind the line on the fifth tackle.
It's round 4 now and players are still being pulled up for what is mostly an act of laziness.

Laziness for some of it but a lot is just out and out cheating, every little advantage you can get coaches are telling players to take.

ThingFish

Juniors
Laziness for some of it but a lot is just out and out cheating, every little advantage you can get coaches are telling players to take.

As you said in a previous post @Pommy , the fans just have to put up with some pain in the short term to get a better game in the long run. With Chechen, R20’s fav ref, blowing 30 penalties, The “cheat” was taken away from The Storm last night and they where made to look ordinary. Even Cameron Smith was binned for trying to ref the refs, classic.

doyen

Bench

Good luck to the refs then---there's a million other things they can stop too if they want to get this "game-shame" back to a semblance of what it's meant to be!! There are just too many things wrong with it now. The game has been allowed to be bastardised over time & it is now an utter basket[bastard]-case!!!
It's certainly NOT RL!!!!
Tirade over!!!

I think Sam will get a week or two---it's good that he's back though, in a true enforcer's role, & leading by example in that regard. The twins are starting to get it & are following Sam's lead!!

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Good luck to the refs then---there's a million other things they can stop too if they want to get this "game-shame" back to a semblance of what it's meant to be!!
It's certainly NOT RL!!!!

Hopefully they can move on to the next set of infractions once they have hammered home their point with the play the ball and offsides, hopefully 10 in the bin for back chatting refs becomes the norm as well.