What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 Rabbitohs v Panthers 2010

The Piper

Juniors
Forum 7s - Round 4 2010
SOUTH SYDNEY RABBITOHS v PENRITH PANTHERS
sou-main.jpg
-v-
2010pen-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 28th April 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: The Colonel
Venue: Redfern Oval
ground_redfern_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Mick

Referee
The Panthers to take the field on Sunday:

1. Big Mick
2. Madunit
3. Joshie
4. [Furrycat]
5. Azkatro

Res:
6. The Piper
7. Edabomb

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie steps up for the Panthers, after a very emotional week. GO THE MELBOURNE STORM! Storm until i die!

The Darkest Day: What it mean's to us

Thursday, 22 April 2010: I was driving along in my car after a long day of year 12 school, when the radio crossed to an official breaking news bulletin. This is what I heard “Today the Melbourne Storm have been stripped of 2 premierships, 3 minor premierships and ALL of their current and to be earned points for this year. The club rorted the salary cap from 2005-2010 over paying players and keeping two sets of books inside their club house.” I pulled the car over immediately, and began to cry. The passion and dedication I have had for this club since 1998 has been enormous. I am 17 years of age, I was just 5 when I watched my first game of Storm footy, I was devastated. The persecution of living in Queensland, supporting a Melbourne based club and even being a Victorian was all taken in pride knowing my boys did their job. But on this day, it was my very own 9/11.

Friday, 23 April 2010: I woke with the same numb feeling I had been feeling since the day before, I literally could NOT believe what had occurred. I put on the news, hoping to see that I was dreaming the day before…I was not. School was horrible, virtually the whole year 12 co-hort knew I was a passionate Storm member and supporter, they did not hold back. I myself was apart of the attack as someone yelled out to me “HEY JOSH, THE PRINCIPAL IS INVESTIGATING YOU FOR CHEATING ON YOUR TESTS SINCE 2005!” That devastated me. I was happy to be home, as I shut off ALL TV/radio stations and did school work. I could not deal with anything so I decided to go out to the city with some friends. Sure enough, every newspaper read “cheats”. It was unbearable. Cartoon’s picking on the situation were everywhere, I could not escape it. However my faith for my club will never be shaken!

Season 2006: I watched in awe of my club go round the paddock this year. We lost three times throughout the whole year, I was extremely proud to call the Storm my team, more so than ever, and I was overjoyed when we qualified for the 2006 National Rugby League grand final vs. the Brisbane Broncos. I was devastated when they lost, I bawled my eyes out. But little did I know, this was only just the beginning.

Season 2007: this season we did even better. Repeating what we did in the regular season the year before, we finished minor premiers and qualified for the decider vs. the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. We won, and I celebrated into the early hours of the morning with friends. I was so happy; we had won our second title! And I couldn’t be happier.
Season 2008: Once again we climbed to great heights, finishing minor premiers, and then crashing to the earth. We lost to the New Zealand Warriors in the first week of the finals, scraped out against the Broncos in the Second Week, destroyed the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks in week three but we got thrashed in the decider. 40-0. this was painful, even being at the final. I once again, bawled my eyes out. I thought this pain was the most I would feel surrounding the sport, but I was wrong.

Season 2009: we finished fourth after a hard fought year, and took the challenged with both hands. We beat Manly convincingly in week one, took the Broncos out convincingly and then claimed our third title against the Eels 23-16. I partied like it was 1999, and was immensely happy.

Season 2010: 6 weeks into the competition, the feelings of hope, happiness, the good times, the bad, everything regarding Melbourne Storm, crashed and burned this year. We will receive the wooden spoon, will no longer be recognised as the 2007 and 2009 premiers, and we now have to shed talent like a snake sheds its skin. It was like the whole world has fallen apart around me. I have no words to describe the feelings I have.

So where to from here? People have asked me will I stop supporting the Storm, but the answer is no. I go with the good, the bad and the ugly, no matter what happens, I will be a faithful supporter of the Melbourne Storm and nothing will take that from me. WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN!

(750 words including title)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theo

Back in the 1940's my grandfather, Theo, began playing rugby league in rural New South Wales. He was a tall, rangy second rower, of the same stature as the great Norm Provan. He played for fun, never too concerned about the result, mainly focused on playing well and enjoying the game, much like many other players of that time.

Forty years later, when I was young, he used to tell me about his rugby league stories, part because I loved hearing him talking about it and the joy it brought him and also because no-one else seemed to care.

He reminisced fondly about a close friend of his called Jack, who was the five-eighth in his team. Every time Theo managed to get an arm free in a tackle, he'd look to offload the ball and the first person he always saw was Jack. Their combination often lead to tries.

Theo and Jack loved the game and played together for many years. Theo always said he thought Jack was going to be good enough to play in Sydney.

One fortunate day, a coach from Western Suburbs was in the area watching the juniors play. Theo always said he never sought to play in Sydney, but when they heard about the coach, a part of him wondered, 'maybe...just maybe.'

Grandpa vividly recalled he and Jack playing great that day, but the coach was most impressed with Jack. They approached him and asked if he was interested to play for Wests, which he replied gleefully 'bloody oath!'

Grandpa always laughed at that response. He said it typified Jack's character.

Sadly, Jack's uncle in South Australia passed away and he was given the opportunity of taking over his uncle's farm. Jack didn't hesitate helping the family and ended his opportunity to play in Sydney.

Grandpa used to bow his head and sigh, not just for Jack missing his opportunity, but also because it brought an end to their playing days together. Theo stopped playing two weeks later and took over his father’s farm, which he has run ever since.

He said he didn't enjoy the game anymore without his little mate out there with him. As time passed he always planned to go visit Jack, but never got the opportunity.

In 1999, Jack passed away after suffering a heart attack. His eldest son took over the farm.

Around the same time I had finished school and was playing rugby league for the same team Jack and Theo once represented. I was also helping Grandpa on his farm, as father time was slowly catching up with him.

Four years later, I left the bush to find work and start a career in journalism. Soon after, grandpa was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. It started out gradually; he began forgetting small things, like getting everything out to make some toast, but forgetting to put bread in the toaster.

Over the past two years he suffered from dementia as well. Every day he was getting worse. I'd seen him twice this year. He barely remembered me the first time. The second time he had forgotten me completely.

When I saw him two months ago, he knew no-one and was looking scared and feeling lonely. It was heartbreaking to say the least.

I received a call from his son, my dad, last week, saying that grandpa had started asking for me. I left work immediately and travelled the 472 kms to his house. I walked in the door, he looked at me and a big smile came over his face.

The relief and joy on his face was great to see, finally he recognised someone, finally he remembered something, and finally he didn’t feel alone.

He hobbled over to me with his outstretched arms, hugged me and said, 'Jack! It's so great to see you again mate! Where have ya been?'

I sat and spoke with him for over an hour, never telling him that I wasn't Jack. I didn't have the heart. He spoke at length about all the games of footy with such vigor and energy; it was almost like he was 12 years old again.

Eventually he grew tired and went to sleep. I went to my parents place and told them about what happened, we were still greatly concerned yet a part of us felt that maybe he was improving. I awoke and began a trip back home the very next morning.

The very next morning, which for grandpa, never came.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
748 words, including title (Between the lines).

RIP Grandpa (Theo)

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 and the Bunnies finally arrive home from their long break away, but realise they left Bumble's keys locked in the car and lost Dave Q along the way...

Rabbitohs:

byrne_rovelli_fan82
Bumble
Pistol
rabs
griffo346

Bench:
miccle
Marshall_Magic

The Piper

Juniors
2010pen-main.jpg
Pride. Passion. Piper. Panthers

A Tale of Two Entrances

Making my way into CUA Stadium, Penrith, I anticipated a great game of Rugby League. I scanned my membership pass and entered through the Western Gate.

Making my way into CUA Stadium, Penrith, I anticipated a great game of Rugby League. I scanned my membership pass and entered through the Eastern Gate.

Feeling hungry, I lined up to get myself a hot dog and coke. Using the great incentive of the Members’ Only line at the food outlet, I got myself to the front of the queue real quick. Grabbing my feed, I missed only a minute of the Under 20s match and even noticed that they’d chucked in tomato sauce for free.

Feeling hungry, I lined up to get myself a hot dog and coke. I went to use the great incentive of the Members’ Only line at the food outlet, but realised I have misplaced my members pass. Finally getting to the front of the queue after some time, they had run out of hot dogs. Getting a piece of fish instead, I missed fifteen minutes of the Under 20s match and ended up getting tartar sauce all over my new jersey.

I found my reserved seat, right on half way. It was undercover, amongst the diehard Panthers supporters and I even had an empty seat next to me to put my food and Big League magazine on. Just as I finished my food, the seat next to me was filled with a 20 year old blonde female fan in a pink Panthers jersey.

Having lost my members’ pass, I wasn’t allowed to my reserved seat. I eventually found a spare spot, out in the cold amongst the diehard Roosters supporters. I had trouble fitting into the spot, being sandwiched between two of the oldest, largest male Rooster fans in the stadium. I sat on my Big League magazine and ripped it when trying to pull it out from beneath me. I finished what food I had left that didn’t end up on the ground. I missed the entire Under 20s match.

The first grade match was just kicking off. It only took a few minutes before Lachlan Coote was under the sticks and scoring the first try of the match for Penrith. Happy as I’d put a pineapple on Coote for First Try Scorer, I became even happier when the girl beside me revealed she was a huge fan of the fullback by giving me a big hug. By half time, the Panthers were up by thirteen and the Footy Doubles ticket I found on the ground was a winner.

The first grade match was just kicking off. It only took a few minutes before Braith Anasta was under the sticks and scoring the first try of the match for Sydney. I’d put fifty bucks on Lachlan Coote to score the first try, so I ripped that ticket up sourly. I became even more ticked off as one of the men beside me revealed is joy by jumping up, showering me with half his beer. By half time, the Panthers were down by thirteen and it began to rain.

The Panthers turned up to play in this second half and put on a few more tries before the eighty minutes were up. It was a drubbing of the opposition and the fans all around me loved it. I stood with my new female friend and everyone one else as we clapped the players as they walked past, waving back to their fans. Leaving out of the Western Gate, I noted the fact that the western suburb side had got up this time. I’m sure they’d be victorious next match and I’d be back to do it all again because I love my league!

The Panthers might has well have not turned up to play in this second half, as a few more tries were put on them before the eighty minutes were up. It was a drubbing of the home side and the Roosters fans all around me loved it. I was able to breathe again as the big boys left their seats. I clapped the players as they walked past, waving back to the fans even in defeat. Leaving out of the Eastern Gate, I noted the fact that the eastern suburb side had got up this time. I was hoping we’d be victorious next match...and of course, I’d be back to do it all again because I love my league!

750 words says the official word counter

Bumble

First Grade
*Bumble for the Rabbitohs*

Not another Storm article

I am far from a Brisbane Broncos fan. I’ve booed them on many occasions and I can’t remember ever going for them in one of their grand finals – not that I have anything against them particularly, perhaps I’m just jealous of their success in the last 20 years, whilst Souths have floundered during that time.

Despite this, I found myself yelling abuse at referees Jared Maxwell and Gavin Badger. Just 2 minutes into the first half, and the game in the balance at 12-6, Darren Lockyer sent a great kick down into the Bulldogs in-goal, piercing between Luke Patten and Steve Turner. The latter eventually picked the ball up, and was forced back behind the try line by three Brisbane defenders. Instead, a very dodgy penalty for ‘lifting’ was issued, letting the Bulldogs off the hook.

In the very same set, another dodgy call by the men in pink – this time for taking out a kick chaser who seemed to just fall over. The Bulldogs get even closer. A third and final penalty for a high shot around the shoulder area, and the home team kick a penalty goal from about 10m out, right in front. 14-6.

From the ensuing kick-off, the Bulldogs spread wide early, and are given another penalty for a Broncos player apparently taking out Jamal Idris who was chasing through on a kick (that he had no chance of getting to) and went down with a dive that Cristiano Ronaldo would’ve been proud of. They scored from the penalty…and try in which there was more than a hint of obstruction, which was ignored. 20-6.

So what started with one dodgy penalty, blossomed into a series of errors from the officials that completely destroyed the game. Instead of the score remaining 12-6 with Brisbane attacking the Bulldogs line, it was 20-6 in just a few minutes. Assuming that the Broncos could’ve scored and made it 12-12, it was a 14 point turnaround. And it was 100% due to the referees.

I’ve never been one to blindly attack referees, but that 5 minute period in this particular game was so badly officiated that it upset me, a neutral. The fact that I tipped the Broncos probably didn’t help. Unfortunately, I don’t think there is a quick fix to this problem. Or indeed, do I think there’s a long-term solution. Simply put, referees are human…and will continue to make human errors. On the other hand, to give the video referee too much input would destroy the flow of a match.

There is no real way to fix the refereeing situation. But once again, we could look towards our American neighbours for a smarter solution. In the NFL, each coach is allowed 2 opportunities within a game to challenge a call made by a referee. If the video evidence proves the official to be wrong, the call is overturned. Limiting the number of times that a challenge can be made would prevent the game from becoming too bogged down with reviews, and would ensure that the coaches didn’t waste them on frivolous things.

The only thing I would change about the American system is that even when a coach his right, he loses one of his challenge options – Which in theory would mean that if the referees made three bad calls against your team (which happened to the Broncos in the space of 5 minutes) there’s nothing you could do about it.

As far as what happens if the coach gets it wrong, an incorrect challenge warrants a time-out being taken from you. Since we don’t have those, I would suggest a penalty to the other team from where the incident occurred. The more sensible option would be to award a ‘free kick’ so that a penalty goal wouldn’t be an option to the other team.

So it would be fair to say that there is less that 2 or 3 contentious decisions in most games of Rugby League. With a challenge system in place, that number drops to zero. There’s a solution, without crucifying the referees.

And no matter how bad they get, they’re never going to be as bad as the linesman in my soccer game on Saturday who called me offside from a throw-in…

711 words

griffo346

First Grade
griffo346 for the rabbitohs

Fraud in the National Rugby League

As the heading is indicates I will be discussing why it happened, how can it be avoided and why it took the National Rugby League so long to find it.

The day was Thursday April 22, 2010 when the chief exectitive officer of the National Rugby League David Gallop dropped the biggest bombshell in sporting history let alone Rugby League history.

Although in the past rugby league fans have been told of the breaches in the salary cap we didn’t expect the extent that this was to happen but this was massive although the bulldogs lost all of there 2002 competition points we didn’t think that they could strip a club of premiership glory but that’s what happened below is the penalty that the National Rugby League gave to the Melbourne Storm on this day.

The penalty

Stripped of the 2007 and 2009 NRL premierships
Stripped of the minor premierships of 2006-08
Stripped of all competition points for the 2010 season
Fined $500,000
Will be forced to return $1.1 million in prizemoney (prizemoney to be distributed evenly among the other 15 clubs)
Individual awards by players will continue to be recognised
Neither Manly (2007) nor Parramatta (2009) will assume the premiership titles in their respective years
Salary cap breaches amounted to at least $1.7 million over five years
Salary cap breach around $400,000 in 2009
Salary cap breach projected to be $700,000 in 2010
NRL says the Storm maintained a dual-contract system

I guess we ask is why was it so that the Storm managed to get away with this for so long? And as fans we ask why it was five years and how a club kept two lots of books one that was lodged with the National Rugby League and one that wassnt lodged with them.

The rumours have been flying around on who was the chief mastermind behind the demise of the Storm its come about that Brian Waldron was the mastermind behind this over the last five years, the more I think about it, it makes sense that its like this as I found it interesting that he walked out of the club end of last years season even after winning the 2009 Telstra premiership he then signed onto new Melbourne Super 15 franchise the Melbourne Rebels but in the aftermarth of the salary cap issues he resigns and leaves the club. His former club in the Australian Football League (AFL) St Kilda have also offered for the investigators to look into their books in the time that Waldron was at the club.

I guess that the club became to familier with success that they resorted to cheating the cap to remain the best club in the premiership with this cheating the accmulated the two premierships and three minor premierships which was stripped by the National Rugby League as a penality.

The players that headline the salary cap rort are Billy Slater, Cam Smith, Greg Inglis reported to be on about $400,000 a season plus they also were given money through this so called second set of books the National Rugby League found in the offices of the club.

Outcomes

The Melbourne Storm have suffered massive money loss from this not only having to pay back the prize money that they accumulated in this time but they also lost major sponsors from this the sponsorship of ME Bank, HostPlus and Skins just to name a few but there could be more remfications to come of this with the possibility of more sponsors to walk from the club, also the possibility that members may not chose to renew their memberships with the club.

The National Rugby League have also said that the players cant take paycuts to come under the salary cap as this is the team they formed whilst cheating and it wouldn’t be fair to the other fifteen clubs in the competition. It has also been reported if the Melbourne Storm remain over the cap come March 2011 that they will still not compete for points, if I was a fan of this club I would be begging my management to come clean and take some avenues to correct this for the 2011 National Rugby League season.

Overall although the Melbourne Storm have suffered this due to some rats in the ranks I hope they can recover as we need a team based in Melbourne for the good of the National Rugby League.

750 words inc the heading

References

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27022196-5018866,00.html

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

l'Affaire MS

In the late 1980’s through early 90’s, French Minister Bernard Tapie presided over the football club Olympique de Marseille. During his time at the helm of the club, they rose to phenomenal success, winning four consecutive Ligue 1 titles between 1988/89 and 1991/92 and the Coupe de France in 1988/89. It was a time of great success and dominance for the then celebrated team - culminating in May of 1993 when Olympique won the inaugural UEFA Champions League title with a 1-0 win in the final over AC Milan in Russia, and securing their fifth consecutive Ligue 1 title with a 3-1 triumph over rivals Paris St-Germain just three days later.

However, the murmurs that had started less than a week prior to the Champions League win, following their uneventful 1-0 victory in the league against Valenciennes, soon grew into something much bigger. During and after the match, Valenciennes players had accused their Olympique Marseilles counterparts of bribing them to not only lose, but also to take it easy, so they could avoid injury before the big Champions League final fixture against AC Milan.

It was the testimony of former Yugoslavian international and coach of Valenciennes, Boro Primorac, that blew the scandal wide open. Following a judicial enquiry, several leaders at Olympique Marseille were indicted for corruption and bribery. The biggest loser was club president Bernard Tapie, who was not only instrumental in the scandal but was also found guilty of bribing witnesses. Disgraced, he was sentenced to two years imprisonment and banned from any involvement in football for 5 years. Olympique Marseille’s 1992/93 Ligue 1 title win was stripped, they were forcefully relegated to the second division, and banned from participating in the following season’s Champions League competition. The scandal was dubbed in the French press as l’affaire VA-OM.

It took them two seasons to fight their way back into the top flight, and it was some 17 years before the club won another trophy – France’s equivalent to the League Cup, which they won this year.

Hindsight obviously shows that engaging in corruption cost Olympique Marseille dearly, to the point that it has taken the club over a decade to recover from their penalties.

If this example is anything to go by, can we expect it to take more than a decade for the Melbourne Storm to fully recover from their penalties following the salary cap scandal of 2010? While the NRL doesn’t have divisions, their penalties imposed for this season are effectively the equivalent to being forcefully relegated; they have no chance of winning the premiership this season and will invariably lose some of their top players in order to get their wage bill under the cap again. The hunt is still on to weed out the bad elements that remain within the club who were involved in the corruption. It also remains to be seen whether these individuals will face criminal charges.

Then there is Melbourne’s equivalent to the “architect”, Bernard Tapie. Former CEO Brian Waldron has been invariably fingered as the chief proponent of the Melbourne salary cap rorts. What will become of him? He has already lost his lucrative job as head honcho of Melbourne’s new rugby franchise, and has little to no chance of employment in the foreseeable future – unless he can clear his name. If he really is the main man behind Melbourne’s salary cap rorts, prior examples suggest he will be lucky to avoid a jail term. One notable difference between the two is that Bernard Tapie remained defiant in the face of accusations, while Brian Waldron has proved, at times, to be more elusive than Osama bin Laden.

However he has since commented to the press that it would be some time before he was able to tell his side of the story in full. If Bernard Taupie’s criminal conviction is anything to go by, it may be a lot sooner than he thinks.

One positive sign for Melbourne is that Olympique Marseille did make it back eventually. And throughout their slow but steady resurgence, their fans stuck by the embattled club. Last Sunday night’s NRL fixture at Etihad Stadium may indicate that Melbourne’s fans will be just as loyal – and the club will desperately need every one of them.

They will also need to realise that it’s going to be a long, hard road before the Melbourne Storm claw their way back – and the road is going to be anything but smooth.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympique_de_Marseille_in_Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympique_Marseille
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Tapie
http://www.lequipe.fr/Portfolio/Football/PORTFOLIO_L1_AFFAIRE_OMVA.html
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympique_de_Marseille
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...els-melbourne-players-pain-20100427-tq48.html

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
byrne_rovelli_fan82 for Rabbitohs

~~

McKinnon vs Hohaia

So far this season there is one question mark that lingers over the Warriors in what I dub: Battle of the fullbacks.

Last year the club scrambled hard to find adequate replacements as injuries ruined much of their campaign. This year similar circumstances have forced the same unlucky strike with injuries to Simon Mannering, Steve Price, Manu Vatuvei and Brett Seymour and now adding to that list is Jacob Lillyman with a mid foot fracture from the recent loss to the Storm on ANZAC Day.

Due to the amount of injured players on the sidelines the coaching staff at the Warriors have had to shuffle around their playing roster to find the best fit for each position. In many cases I am a firm believer that you should never change a team unless it is forced, for example when injuries strike and only in particular circumstances when a player’s form comes into question then should they be replaced. For the remainder of the time all players selected in their position should be the best player to fit that position. In the case of the Warriors this year the one position that is left in question is fullback.

Back in 2008 when they lost regular star fullback Wade McKinnon to a knee injury one of the player's picked to take over his spot was Lance Hohaia. A very talented footballer with plenty of skills to boot, he had also previously played in the halves, at hooker at center and off the bench. Now he had the responsibility of the fullback role.
What had initially started out as temporary cover while McKinnon was injured ended up being the perfect replacement. However this was nothing new in Hohaia's case, as his time in the other positions proved his uncanny knack of finding great form and proving his worthiness to the Warriors. Ha excelled and McKinnon now had serious compeition for his spot.

Then, last year it was as though nothing really mattered, Hohaia's form didn't come into consideration and McKinnon was handed his spot back without question. Of course it didn't stay that way for too long when he got injured once again and spent a bit of time on the sidelines and Hohaia was back in the spotlight.

At the start of this season the roles were reversed and Hohaia was given first choice in the role while McKinnon was forced to fight for his spot from the bench. For some critics this was the right move, Hohaia had shown better form thus warrented his selection, while others believed he lacked the ideal skills to hold the spot.

Questions began to rise among fans:

'Why was a fill-in doing the job of a proper fullback?'

'What were the reasons behind selecting the first choice fullback on the bench?'

'Should a guy playing in form oust a player who is more suited to the position?'

Then, adding further confusion to the mix, at specific times in matches so far in 2010 we have seen Hohaia, playing in at fullback been moved into the halves at 5/8 to partner James Maloney, then his current halves partner Joel Moon was shuffled back down to the bench therefore allowing McKinnon onto the field in his usual role.

That must cause concern not only for the fans but the players themselves, when, even they don't know what is expected of them out in the field, not knwoing the role they are meant to play.

No one can doubt Hohaia's form when he got given the fullback role during McKinnon's absense but comparing the two players side by side it says a lot more. McKinnon is first and foremost a fullback, and that has been his role for as long as many of us have seen him play in this compeitition. Where as, in Hohaia's case he has been viewed mostly as the super-sub fill in. He's given a task and expected to do the job. For all his work and talent at fullback he has been excellent but he doesn't nave the natural instincts to be a firrst grade fullback with the ability to read the play, be in the right position and do all the things a first grade fullback needed to do. McKinnon though does have this knack; and though he has not showen the type of attacking form he did in 2007, the little game time we've seen of him this year does enough to highlight his natural ability.

~~

There are 748 words between the '~' according to the official word counter

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
SUb - Big Mick for Furrycat

Go the Bolter!

“We cheer loudest when the underdog wins and we rejoice in the notion that regardless of where you are from, no matter how rich or poor, you still have a chance of going all the way”

Supporting the underdog has been a part of Australian rugby league history since its inception in 1908. It’s the great notion that if your team is not in a final’s series, you will support the team who has the least chance of winning. Why as a culture do we do this? Wouldn’t it be more logical to choose a winning team? Everyone loves a winner right? In Australia that notion of “I’ll support whoever will win” is not a part of our culture and never will be as long as there is an underdog.

As Australian’s we love the underdog. A team that after year’s of battling with heartache and defeat has conquered all before them. It all reverts to the theory of the “Aussie battler” who with nothing at all manages to rise to the top and reach the pinnacle of their game. In rugby league there is one of these stories every season. A team that comes from the shadows that everyone wants to see win as they appear the least likely to achieve it. In 2001 it was the Knights. Despite the Novocastrians having the “Andrew Johns factor”, Parramatta were touted as invincible and no one could find a feasible answer to how Newcastle could win. However, people supported Newcastle in droves and urged Newcastle to their second premiership.

In 2002, it was the New Zealand Warriors. Despite winning the minor premiership the Warriors gave up favouritism in the grand final to the Sydney Roosters who finished lower on the table. As usual, the Australian culture immediately jumped on the Warriors bandwagon, but this time, it was not enough to bring home the trophy.

In 2003, the Penrith Panthers were the underdog, having won the wooden spoon in 2001 and finishing12th the following year; critics were again predicting the Panthers as wooden spoon favourites. Despite all their inexperience the Panthers completed a remarkable season finishing minor premiers and making it to the grand final to face the defending premiers, the Roosters. The Roosters were again favourites, and the underdog supporters lifted the Panthers to a heroic and fairytale victory.

The 2005 season gave us the Wests Tigers whom came from nowhere to thrill us with exciting brands of play. The enigma that was Benji Marshall finally had an injury free season and thrilled us all with an exhibition of speed, touch and genius. Not only that, but what made this battler story remarkable was they were $1m under the salary cap for their 2005 season, something as we’ve noticed recently with the Storm no club has been able to accomplish since.

But the question we must ask is where does this effectuation derive? Is it to due the Australian nature of wanting an even competition? We live our lives by suggesting that it’s ok to have success and to be part of a successful club, but that success should only last so long. We crave the day that the best is being beaten by those who are given no chance.

We forget that these successful clubs of today, where once overshadowed by the successful clubs of yesteryear and will again be overshadowed by the successful clubs of tomorrow. Success is brought about as a result of the hunger after defeat. In a vicious cycle success will happen again, through the heartache of supporters, tenacity of the coaching staff and the ability of the players to conquer adversity…..but only for a while.

Like the thrilling teams of the past that all punters love to win because they have a red hot go, let’s hope in 2010 we see a team lift us to a place where we feel genuine joy. In 2010 let us all hope that our team, whomever you support, will be that underdog who emerges from the ashes and grabs glory in most unexpected circumstances, because we all know that winning when no one expects it, is the sweetest victory of all. And in any case...who doesn’t love an underdog!

704 Words

REF:
http://www.bowens.com.au/images/builders_bulletin/V13.09_Oct2002.pdf
http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/bignoting.htm

Titanic

First Grade
I go with the good, the bad and the ugly, no matter what happens, I will be a faithful supporter of the Melbourne Storm and nothing will take that from me. WE ARE THE STORM FROM MELBOURNE TOWN! (750 words including title)

As much as rorting is abhorrent, the plight of the fans in this case is infinitely worse. Chin up, brother. The game needs you - well said.

Pistol

Coach
The Colonel emailed in the results

Panthers

Big Mick – 83

The underdog manages to catch the attention of people everywhere particularly in sport. A good read.

Madunit – 93

A very emotional article in the end. Well written, it really drew me into the story. Great effort. Sad to hear about your grandpa.

Joshie – 86

Where you have followed the Storm from to now has certainly been some journey when you add in what has come out now.

Azkatro – 88

Using history as a guide what lies ahead for Melbourne could be very interesting. The comparisons make for interesting reading.

The Piper – 90

A very different article, or two in fact. Two stories that while they started out the same ended very differently. Great concept.

Total - 440

Defeated

Rabbitohs

byrne_rovelli_fan82 – 85

An informative look at the fullback battle for the Warriors.

Bumble – 86

Referees are certainly human and it is always good to explore what can be done to help them. Well thought out.

griffo346 – 81

A decent look at a very hot topic. A little disjointed in parts which is reflected by the score.

Total – 252

POTM - madunit

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for marking and the kind words Colonel.

well played Panthers, 440 is a prett good score.