What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Newcastle

giboz71

First Grade
Williame has done well. Nice thinking out of the box by Hook who's made him into a utility who can fill in the backs and play an edge too. Scored a nice try on the weekend.

He was the logical choice to replace Bird. Good to have a guy like that around for the Feagai's to have to beat out.

Gareth67

First Grade
Williame is a big bod and that is what we need out there in the backs , not a bad turn off speed also . He and Ravawala could do a lot of damage if they have their minds on the job .

Unleashed the Dragons of war !

Dragon David

First Grade
This game against the Knights will be a big test for us. The Knights are coming off a loss at their home ground last weekend and another loss there this Sunday is something that Adam O'Brien will be telling his guys to make sure it doesn't happen.

We know that we have only beaten the Cowboys and the Sea Eagles who have not won any games this year so we must produce a much higher standard of play all round in both attack and defence to be able to beat the Knights.

The players must eliminate errors and maintain possession for much longer periods in the game so that a lot of pressure can be applied. Several set moves are essential and Hook has to have a number of the forwards practise off loads as these will help us gain ground in attack. So our backs need to follow and back up the forwards most of the time to take those off loads.

Our kicking game has to be spot on and the players need to chase those kicks and either challenge successfully for the ball in the air, via Lomax, or be able to tackle and keep them in their red zone.

If we can get these right, stick to a good, solid attacking and defence game plan and utilise the bench properly then hopefully we will come out winners and set the tone for the following week against the Eels.

The key to winning on Sunday is stopping the go forward of Saifiti and Klemmer. Klemmers offloads are key.

The tigers contained the Knights quite easily in the first half all because they put bodys on Klemmer and stopped his offloads. In the 2nd half they didnt do that and the Knights started scoring points off the back of him.

Dragon David

First Grade
The key to winning on Sunday is stopping the go forward of Saifiti and Klemmer. Klemmers offloads are key.

The tigers contained the Knights quite easily in the first half all because they put bodys on Klemmer and stopped his offloads. In the 2nd half they didnt do that and the Knights started scoring points off the back of him.
I fully agree. Saifiti and Klemmer and throw in their second rowers Frizell and Barnet together with Watson. They have got to be contained.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We need to be at our best against The Knights....I dont rate them in the top 6 teams in the comp but on their day they can be a very tidy outfit in particular their forward pack who I do rate in the top 4.......we need to stay focused for the full 80 mins and everyone of our 17 needs to do their job and do it well....this will be a tightly fought contest and could go either way

Illusion

Bench
We need to be at our best against The Knights....I dont rate them in the top 6 teams in the comp but on their day they can be a very tidy outfit in particular their forward pack who I do rate in the top 4.......we need to stay focused for the full 80 mins and everyone of our 17 needs to do their job and do it well....this will be a tightly fought contest and could go either way
I would not have said this last year ...... We can win this ......

Last edited:
The knights at the backend recently.

Quick ball movement will create a lot of opportunity as they tire and struggle to move into a proper defensive shape.

The trick is to keep with them, stay resilient and believe.

Our sleepy attack almost banged 12 points on them in the last 3 minutes from set play.

939EB8BF-96E0-408C-ACC5-9CA6AD364E57.jpeg

Lucy was over here (below). My other tip is to play what’s in front of you.

AFEF46BA-8D59-473C-ACB9-25B8DE0D1194.jpeg

Doogie rushes up and kicks thru for Mbye:
51548380-88B5-4CAA-854C-DD0964FC7EE0.jpeg

.....and we needn’t worry about the rest.

They are a good side, but the trick is to run them ragged.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
Make no mistake, he is a great bloke, but Frizzell dogged us in our time of need.

I hope we hammer him.
I disagree. The ex peanut screwed Frizell just like he did with B Moz and Widdop. If anything Frizell tried his guts out for years under that moron and he got seriously Jack of it. I have no hatred to Tyson cause he deserved so much more than the shit he was forced to swallow over 2019 and 2020

possm

Coach
I disagree. The ex peanut screwed Frizell just like he did with B Moz and Widdop. If anything Frizell tried his guts out for years under that moron and he got seriously Jack of it. I have no hatred to Tyson cause he deserved so much more than the shit he was forced to swallow over 2019 and 2020
I'm sure Frizell would be very happy under Griffin's coaching. It is a shame out Board were so weak and did not get rid of Mary years ago.

redv13

Bench
I'm sure Frizell would be very happy under Griffin's coaching. It is a shame out Board were so weak and did not get rid of Mary years ago.
Possm I truly believe the reason Tyson waited so long to sign with Newcastle was cause he was waiting to see if the peanut would get the chop. When he didn’t and the club stood by him at the end of 2019/pre season 2020 then Tyson had to save his career and that was to leave. Great bloke who played with heart week after week

Yes, that’s a key point and many others also abandoned the good ship Mary.

My recollection was that there was a bit of unwarranted spite in him when he left and it was a touch nasty and unbecoming. No need for it.

After co-vid hit, the knights hedged their bets about his signing and he was possibly in no mans land.

On the balance, I tend to agree with @thebigredv that he acted a bit prematurely. We don’t often agree either.

For those blaming Mary, at the time, Frizz tried to say he was a friend and they were close, but I found that very hard to cop. So you have an argument for sure.

Mary said he was sorry Frizz left and gave you another classic Mary-ism when he said

“I hope he changes his mind”

That’s my recollection of this unhappy time. He could have been sgi legend ( like cam) but chose another path.

Shame from the outside looking in. So much for building the DNA.

Anyway, this years going very well with a mixed side and a brand new coach still settling in. Playing much better footy is the main thing.

Last edited:

Dion

Juniors
This game against the Knights will be a big test for us. The Knights are coming off a loss at their home ground last weekend and another loss there this Sunday is something that Adam O'Brien will be telling his guys to make sure it doesn't happen.

We know that we have only beaten the Cowboys and the Sea Eagles who have not won any games this year so we must produce a much higher standard of play all round in both attack and defence to be able to beat the Knights.

The players must eliminate errors and maintain possession for much longer periods in the game so that a lot of pressure can be applied. Several set moves are essential and Hook has to have a number of the forwards practise off loads as these will help us gain ground in attack. So our backs need to follow and back up the forwards most of the time to take those off loads.

Our kicking game has to be spot on and the players need to chase those kicks and either challenge successfully for the ball in the air, via Lomax, or be able to tackle and keep them in their red zone.

If we can get these right, stick to a good, solid attacking and defence game plan and utilise the bench properly then hopefully we will come out winners and set the tone for the following week against the Eels.
A lot of "ifs" but if Newcastle play like they did last game, we have better than an even money chance of rolling them. Hunt and Bird missing will be big holes to fill. Norman is not the type to step up and lead the team around the park.

Latest posts