What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Newcastle

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq Sims’ classy gesture in heated NRL clash
Dragons big man Tariq Sims scored two tries on Sunday but a classy act of sportsmanship was the most impressive moment of his game.

Jasper Bruce
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

April 4, 20217:40pm
243d684c3a94669cdd524cf1d5b274b4

Tariq Sims was all class on Sunday afternoon.Source:FOX SPORTS

Tempers flared throughout Sunday’s clash between the Knights and Dragons but a classy gesture from Tariq Sims stood out as a magic moment in the war of attrition.

A melee erupted after a tackle on Dragons flyer Mikaele Ravalawa left Newcastle five-eighth Kurt Mann seeing stars.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The all-in-brawl attracted players from all over the field, but ensuring Mann’s safety was the only thing on Sims’ mind.

The second-rower and his teammate Matt Dufty waited with the injured Knight as trainers attended to him. Not only that, Sims stood with his back to the brawl in an effort to protect Mann and the Knights’ medical staff from the fighting.

“Hats off, Tariq Sims, sportsmanship personified in that moment,” said Fox League commentator Andrew Voss.

“He’s over there shielding one of his opponents from the melee. That’s quite a moment in this sport of rugby league.”

“It’s impressive,” agreed Michael Ennis.

Tariq Sims had an afternoon to remember with ball in hand as well — the 31-year-old scored the fifth double of his career and his first since 2019, bringing the Dragons back into the contest in the second half.

4bc93db86fced33dd29eac4442a2db2b

Paul Vaughan takes a hit in Sunday’s brutal contest.Source:Getty Images

With a field goal the difference at half time, fans were primed for a tense second 40 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Newcastle big man Josh King opened the scoring in the second half, crashing over in the 48th minute to put the Knights seven points ahead.

The Red V returned serve shortly after to keep the contest alive — Tariq Sims wound back the clock as he cut through the Newcastle line effortlessly.

Sims’ second four-pointer and a try from Bryaden Wiliame sealed the deal, as the Red V notched a 22-13 win.

The casualty ward was full to the brim during Sunday afternoon’s game, with Mann joining Newcastle teammates Mitchell Pearce and Tex Hoy on the sidelines.

Knights enforcer David Klemmer and Ravalawa both pulled up sore, but remained on the field.

In his post-match press conference, Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien said the game was “pretty much carnage” and confirmed the side may have to contend without Pearce for months.

The win was the Dragons’ third in a row under new coach Anthony Griffin. They’ll look to make it four on the trot when they face Parramatta next week.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...h/news-story/bd503a1aecc29017f25d1dc1c2fd72d2

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq Sims’ classy gesture in heated NRL clash
Dragons big man Tariq Sims scored two tries on Sunday but a classy act of sportsmanship was the most impressive moment of his game.

Jasper Bruce
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

April 4, 20217:40pm
243d684c3a94669cdd524cf1d5b274b4

Tariq Sims was all class on Sunday afternoon.Source:FOX SPORTS

Tempers flared throughout Sunday’s clash between the Knights and Dragons but a classy gesture from Tariq Sims stood out as a magic moment in the war of attrition.

A melee erupted after a tackle on Dragons flyer Mikaele Ravalawa left Newcastle five-eighth Kurt Mann seeing stars.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The all-in-brawl attracted players from all over the field, but ensuring Mann’s safety was the only thing on Sims’ mind.

The second-rower and his teammate Matt Dufty waited with the injured Knight as trainers attended to him. Not only that, Sims stood with his back to the brawl in an effort to protect Mann and the Knights’ medical staff from the fighting.

“Hats off, Tariq Sims, sportsmanship personified in that moment,” said Fox League commentator Andrew Voss.

“He’s over there shielding one of his opponents from the melee. That’s quite a moment in this sport of rugby league.”

“It’s impressive,” agreed Michael Ennis.

Tariq Sims had an afternoon to remember with ball in hand as well — the 31-year-old scored the fifth double of his career and his first since 2019, bringing the Dragons back into the contest in the second half.

4bc93db86fced33dd29eac4442a2db2b

Paul Vaughan takes a hit in Sunday’s brutal contest.Source:Getty Images

With a field goal the difference at half time, fans were primed for a tense second 40 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Newcastle big man Josh King opened the scoring in the second half, crashing over in the 48th minute to put the Knights seven points ahead.

The Red V returned serve shortly after to keep the contest alive — Tariq Sims wound back the clock as he cut through the Newcastle line effortlessly.

Sims’ second four-pointer and a try from Bryaden Wiliame sealed the deal, as the Red V notched a 22-13 win.

The casualty ward was full to the brim during Sunday afternoon’s game, with Mann joining Newcastle teammates Mitchell Pearce and Tex Hoy on the sidelines.

Knights enforcer David Klemmer and Ravalawa both pulled up sore, but remained on the field.

In his post-match press conference, Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien said the game was “pretty much carnage” and confirmed the side may have to contend without Pearce for months.

The win was the Dragons’ third in a row under new coach Anthony Griffin. They’ll look to make it four on the trot when they face Parramatta next week.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...h/news-story/bd503a1aecc29017f25d1dc1c2fd72d2

getsmarty

Immortal
alex-mckinnon-cup-210404pb-3169_202144164848.jpg

MATCH REPORT

Updated
Dragons reclaim the Alex McKinnon Cup with win over the Knights
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 4 Apr 2021, 07:47 PM
Share on social media
Adam O’Brien will struggle to name 21 healthy Knights to face Gold Coast next Saturday after losing playmakers Mitchell Pearce, Kurt Mann and Tex Hoy to injury in a bruising 22-13 loss to St George Illawarra at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday.

Pearce, who played his 300th NRL game seven days earlier, could be sidelined for several months after leaving the field in tears in the 25th minute suffering a suspected torn pectoral muscle.

Hoy is expected to miss up to four games with a torn hamstring and Mann was heavily concussed and is unlikely to play against the Titans.

Former NSW and Australian enforcer David Klemmer, who was reported for two incidents in the first half, will have scans on a knee injury suffered in the 60th minute.

Newcastle’s casualty ward already included Kalyn Ponga (shoulder), Bradman Best (elbow), Edrick Lee (foot) and Lachlan Fitzgibbon (shoulder), though O’Brien hopes to welcome Ponga back next Saturday.

Match: Knights v Dragons

Round 4 - Sunday 4th April

Full Time

Home Team

Knights

Scored 13 points

Away Team

Dragons

Scored 22 points

Venue: McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Blake Green, returning from a knee reconstruction, played the final 30 minutes against the Dragons as O’Brien resisted the urge to play him for longer despite the injury to Pearce.

Back-up five-eighth Phoenix Crossland is also sidelined with a knee injury and teenage centre Dominic Young suffered a knee injury in Newcastle’s NSW Cup game on Sunday.

"I just had that conversation just then. I don’t think I’ll be able to name 21 [on Tuesday]," a shattered and shell-shocked O’Brien said.

remote.axd

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

"Naming the team is probably going to be a real big hurdle this week."

O’Brien said Pearce would have scans on Monday to determine the damage of the left-side pectoral muscle injury he suffered when grabbing out to tackle St George Illawarra back-rower Tariq Sims.

In his first season in Newcastle in 2018, Pearce was sidelined for nine games after tearing his right-side pectoral muscle playing against Wests Tigers in April. If scans reveal a rupture, rather than a partial tear, Pearce would be unlikely to return this season but O’Brien is hoping for better news.

"He’ll have scans – it’s the other one that he did previously – but they’re not looking good at all at this stage," O’Brien said.

Ponga met with his shoulder surgeon last week and was close to playing against the Dragons but O’Brien said he resisted that temptation and erred on the side of caution.

"We’re hopeful for KP [against the Titans] but if he’s not right, he’s not right. I won’t rush him," the coach said.

"We’re round four, and it’s pretty much carnage for us tonight, so I don’t need to add to that by making rash decisions now."

remote.axd

Shibasaki is there as Ramsey spills the kick

When Pearce left the field, O’Brien used Mann and Connor Watson in the halves to stick to his original plan of easing Green back into match play, but without Hoy after half-time the coach had no choice but to put Green into the game.

"I didn’t foresee that happening, but it was about doing the right thing for Blake, and not thrusting him in too early," he said.

"At the end of the day, the surgeon had ticked it off … but we just thought for Greeny’s confidence, it was the right thing to do and we stuck to the plan, but unfortunately Tex went at half-time and Kurt went straight after so we lost 7, 6 and 1 all pretty much [after] half-time."

Under normal circumstances, Klemmer would have probably been replaced after clutching at his knee when tackled by Sims in the 60th minute but O’Brien had few other options.

remote.axd

Sims charges down a Green kick and he has a double

Sims charges down a Green kick and he has a double

"He jammed up his knee but he had to stay out there because we didn’t have anyone left – I think we had one on the bench the whole second half," he said.

The Knights led 7-6 at half-time and 13-6 when prop Josh King crashed over to score eight minutes into the second half but, with their playmakers sidelined and their forwards being bullied by a determined and aggressive Dragons pack, they never looked like protecting their lead.

O’Brien said he could not fault their courage or commitment and encouraged supporters to keep the faith despite the immediate future looking so grim.

"I think our members, sponsors and fans can rightfully walk away disappointed with the scoreboard but I don’t think you can walk away with the character shown by the team," he said.

"I’ve seen teams get beat by 40 and 50 this weekend that haven’t gone through the resilience that that team just went through, so I am proud of them.

"They’ve got heart, they’ve got character, and that will hold us in good stead long term. We’ll get injured guys back, but the foundations of a footy team long term need to be to dig in and have a go no matter what goes against you.

"That’s what this town’s about and that’s what this footy team’s about."

remote.axd

Sims steams onto a Clune pass

Sims steams onto a Clune pass

Newcastle’s last chance came and went when Hymel Hunt touched down in the corner in the 75th minute only to have the try called back because Mitch Barnett’s final pass was ruled forward.

Sims scored two tries against his old club, with the second of those coming from his second kick chargedown of the game.

Written off as wooden-spoon contenders by pundits and punters alike during pre-season predictions, the Dragons have won three straight since dropping their first game against Cronulla.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...-alex-mckinnon-cup-with-win-over-the-knights/

Tuddy

Juniors
Just watched the replay and then started reading this.....just loving your comments.

Sims and Rava 1&2 but just a huge team effort.

You just know the commentators would love to throw a reference to Mary in but Hooks giving them nothing. The guy is giving us what we knew we were missing and I am so happy for him. We are lucky to have him and right now I wouldn’t swap him for anyone.

thebigredv

First Grade
The no try call for Ravalawa is unacceptable and I hope there is recourse against the bunker. Dufty, the passer, is clearly in front of Kerr who is clearly in front of Lomax, the receiver. He did touch the ball but it couldn't have been travelling in any direction but backward, especially given how subtle the touch was.

Mjab

Juniors
Feeling positive and happy with the games so far
But

still havent played a decent team and won today against a decimated injured knights

next week will be a decent test of where we stand

Como Connection

First Grade
1-17 played great today and the defense in the second half was colossal.
Under Mary we would have dropped our heads after the disallowed try was followed by the soft try to N*wc*stl* but not under the new regime.
Clune was over-thinking it in the first half, but played a much more direct game in the second half and it paid off for us. That short pass to Sims reminded me of Billy Smith or Mark Shulman.
3 Lawrie 2 Sims 1 Fuimaono and big ups to Lomax, Rava, Alvaro and Dufty.
It's early yet, but I'm enjoying this season more than I was expecting to. What a difference a Coach makes.
Your 3 2 1 spot on for me.
CC

thebigredv

First Grade
Feeling positive and happy with the games so far
But

still havent played a decent team and won today against a decimated injured knights

next week will be a decent test of where we stand

Shoot me down for saying it but I think we are clearly below the top echelon of teams at the moment. That is when you look purely at talent and skill but the attitude at the moment is up there with the better sides in the comp. I think we should expect losses against the other top 7 teams but we will cause upsets if we can continue to play with hunger we showed today.

Important for us to keep it in perspective. Would have copped a loss today if the effort was the same.

Tuddy

Juniors
Great tough effort against an hostile crowd.
Lawrie really rattled Klemmers cage with the flow on effect coming from the rest of the pack.
Would’ve liked to see them try to get Dufty more involved in the last 20 minutes against their tired pack.

This was a huge turning point for me....young bull vs the old bull.....and the young bull came out well and truly on top. This might be the beginning of him, he needed to have a moment like this and who better to have it with than a former origin player like Klemmer.