What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 v Souths

justadragon

Bench
Welcome to the forum mate.

We are probably in the same age bracket, so I get your angst.

You raise some good points re the youngsters, and the overall direction of the Club. The best I can offer you is that success starts at the top, i.e board, management, recruitment and coaching staff.

Just look at the squad we have running out this weekend. Our game plan. Our roster etc etc.

We as a collective are bog average and my exhibits for evidence can be found in the last decade.

As fans we will continue to "wish" for the best. However, until this club I love changes it's trajectory, that's all it is.. Wishful thinking. The custodians should be ashamed.
Thanks for the welcome yes we most probably are in the same age bracket :)) lets hope for brighter days, Its in the lap of the gods

thebigredv

First Grade
If we did a full comparison of all of the props in the first grade competition, Blake Lawrie would most probably be at the bottom and this might apply to him if the same comparison was made of the props in reserve grade. We all know that he tries, but he is just not good enough. I've never ever really seen him break tackles, menace and threaten the opposition with any guile or crafty intelligence - just catch the ball and run hard all robotically. He is slow to get off the man after he makes tackles and at times leading to 6 agains.

Do we have a forwards coach?

We used to have quality front men and now we just have quantity.

Daniel Alvaro and Poasa Faamaasuli have just come on leaps and bounds since Hook managed to land their signature. They'll give Lawrie a good run for his money in the worst prop award.

Fair dinkum. Even McGregor could get better talent to the club.

Dragon David

First Grade
Thanks DD for the welcome and to all the others as well.
I just find that this year we are doing particularly worse than previous across all the grades. Just looking at the KOE dragons side with the amount of NRL experience in it getting beaten by parra the way they did was just so disappointing. I remember reading on here that one member was at that game and the whole squad seemed totally disinterested or frustrated. Whats the excuse for that so early into the comp, i have no idea but its the coaches job to know. Anyway heres hoping for a big improvement soon, right across the park
A pleasure and hope to see more of your posts in the future. I think that following last year's end games being a total loss and the signing of new recruits and the upgrade of a couple of the younger guys in first grade, expectations were high of some real success in 2022. This expectation may have resulted in Hook's contract being extended prematurely and will be interesting to see how this will end up.

Somewhere along the line of forward planning, someone forgot to work out who should be the reserve grade coach - maybe it was a "cheapy" selection of Russ Aitken to be the coach - the reason being "oh we have the players so no need to have an astute coach and we need Matty Head to be the assistant attacking coach in first grade to take over from Matty Elliott". You see that when you only pay peanuts, you get monkeys and what the Board should have done is select a high profile coach for reserves so that the players would benefit, win games and put pressure on firsts. The first graders know there is no pressure, so why play their guts out?

Anyway, that is my rant for tonight - oh did I hear that I have ranted in all of my posts tonight?

Dragon David

First Grade
Daniel Alvaro and Poasa Faamaasuli have just come on leaps and bounds since Hook managed to land their signature. They'll give Lawrie a good run for his money in the worst prop award.

You are soooooo right there bigredv.

Why do some on here do this to themselves ? Statistics prove you live longer with a glass half full attitude to life !!
Glass half full?! Have you been watching us lately?!
Not only is the glass half empty, but there's a crack in the bottom and the contents are rapidly leaking out. Mind you, the stuff that was in the glass tasted like $hit and was pretty hard to swallow anyway.

itsme

Juniors
I wonder how most of the forum would take to their wifes/girlfriends being as critical of their performances as you guys are of the dragons performances.

If the wifes and girlfriends took the forum approach. Majority of you would be divorced within days.

Unbelievable.....its a 4 games into the year!

jeffdragon

Bench
I wonder how most of the forum would take to their wifes/girlfriends being as critical of their performances as you guys are of the dragons performances.

If the wifes and girlfriends too the forum approach. Majority of you would be divorced within days.

Getting lapped in the last two weeks acceptable.
Definitely not.
When you have nothing to play for late in the year its still not acceptable let alone r 3 and 4 and probably this week as well

itsme

Juniors
Getting lapped in the last two weeks acceptable.
Definitely not.
When you have nothing to play for late in the year its still not acceptable let alone r 3 and 4 and probably this week as well
So are you saying we got nothing left to play for in round 5?

jeffdragon

Bench
So are you saying we got nothing left to play for in round 5?

Weve had 10 years of failure.
And we kept a coach for 7-8 ,ears who along with the hierarchy ran this club into the ground.
Getting flogged any time is not good.
Get hammered on sat and its a long way back with the style of play we play.
Other teams with a bit of talent can bounce back.
The way we've played in the last two.
They can go on their mad Monday now.

justadragon

Bench

If the wifes and girlfriends took the forum approach. Majority of you would be divorced within days.

I cant say I agree with you itsme, the forum is designed so members can voice their opinions, frustrations, call it what you want. I have also seen the forum praise and support players for their efforts. Yes I think we still have a lot to play for in RD 5, but with the decisions being made do I think we will be competitive, maybe not. The majority of criticism here is also directed at the coach and some of the decisions he has made, a record of 2 -13 beating the same team twice(warriors) suggests we havent made too many right decisions or really played with pride. I really believe that most members on this forum would be more than happy to have a team that competes every game rather than just exist, a slow improvement over a few seasons would with an opportunity for a top 4 position would make me very happy and maybe a chance at a GF. Dont forget we have had this organisation being a rabble for 12 years, all I ask is for pride in the jersey, competitiveness and a professional club with a plan, top to bottom.

mightydragon

Juniors

Wasn't Poasa signed by Mary and Co prior to Hook getting the job?

Harry Bath

Juniors
I cant say I agree with you itsme, the forum is designed so members can voice their opinions, frustrations, call it what you want. I have also seen the forum praise and support players for their efforts. Yes I think we still have a lot to play for in RD 5, but with the decisions being made do I think we will be competitive, maybe not. The majority of criticism here is also directed at the coach and some of the decisions he has made, a record of 2 -13 beating the same team twice(warriors) suggests we havent made too many right decisions or really played with pride. I really believe that most members on this forum would be more than happy to have a team that competes every game rather than just exist, a slow improvement over a few seasons would with an opportunity for a top 4 position would make me very happy and maybe a chance at a GF. Dont forget we have had this organisation being a rabble for 12 years, all I ask is for pride in the jersey, competitiveness and a professional club with a plan, top to bottom.
Last year Dragons peaked in Round 5 when they beat the high flying Eels, they never played that way again in 2021! unfortunately this year we went off even earlier, beat Souths in the Charity Shield, Dragons forwards dominated in that game, it was the last time so far this year, the team has slipped so far since the charity shield it is scary!
Who knows what happens???

Illusion

Bench
Well said its not that we lost , its not about its only 4 games in , its about no improvement in 12 years ..... Like I have said before you can blame the famous B.B.Q last year for the 8 games straight no wins , but for me the wheels were falling off before that ...... And it seems to be continuing in 2022 ...... I think we as supporters have the right to voice our frustration after 11 years of nothing and by the way its going it will end up another 2 year of the same ......

Illusion

Bench

No If my wife performed like the Dragons have for the last 12 years I would have found another , but because I love my Dragons more I'm still here ......

TruSaint

Referee

Post whatever the fook you want mate.

It's a public forum. If we cant express an array of emotions when our proud club sits second last, then why have dialogue at all ?

Its not about glass half full/empty. It's looking at the bloody ladder over a decade.

Cheers.

Last edited:

itsme

Juniors
Praise one week, then throw them on the has been/not upto it heap the next. That i can never get my head around!

justadragon

Bench
Praise one week, then throw them on the has been/not upto it heap the next. That i can never get my head around!
I think you are missing the point, if you listen to the last redvpodcast you may get what the members are complaining about. I think collectively everyone on here wants to see the dragons do well, but over the last 12 years we havent seen too much of the good one week bad the next, its just been bad bad bad bad worse etc. I cant remember the date exactly but a dragons side got boo'ed of the field at half time and even worse at full time, cant remember if it was Win or Kog, it was embarrassing, did I like to see that ,,,no,,,,did they deserve it,, probably. Please remember that this organisation players, staff, board etc are on a lot of money to perform and its a results driven sport. I get your point of view though.

Latest posts