What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Bulldogs

Iamback

Coach
Of course it's not. How many coaches have made three grand finals? 53% is only half the story. He coached a Panthers side that was trashed by ME. He coached a Tigers side that was rubbish. He coached the Warriors who were decimated by a salary cap scandal in 2006 and the death of Sonny Fai in 2009. All this context is never discussed and if he hadn't won a premiership then he would be consigned to history's dustbin as average. But he has 3 GF appearances and one win. There are six coaches out of sixteen in the NRL right now, who have won premierships. Average? Nah, by definition that is not average.

I was never a fan, but the last three years have shown that he has something a bit different going on. Not a super coach either, but then again he hasn't finished yet.

The whole picture tells a story.

He currently sits 11th in games coached. Will overtake Jack Gibson this year he isn't even in the same postcode as most of them. Although the worst 2 on the list Brian smith and Ricky both have coached in 4 GF's

He has coached more games than Chris Anderson and Gus who have had more success

Pomoz

Bench
The whole picture tells a story.

He currently sits 11th in games coached. Will overtake Jack Gibson this year he isn't even in the same postcode as most of them. Although the worst 2 on the list Brian smith and Ricky both have coached in 4 GF's

He has coached more games than Chris Anderson and Gus who have had more success
But you have just mentioned coaches who were considered legends. I never said he was a legend. I just said he isn't average. Average coaches don't make grand finals with two different teams and build sides that break NRL records for defence.

Iamback

Coach
But you have just mentioned coaches who were considered legends. I never said he was a legend. I just said he isn't average. Average coaches don't make grand finals with two different teams and build sides that break NRL records for defence.

He has coached almost 400 games though. You need to put him with like for like.

Well certainly can't compare him to someone with 100 FG coached

He does do well with Plodder forwards
It’s more than that though; look at our spine;
- Edwards has been maligned all over (including this forum). The whole league is now asking the question ‘is he elite?’ now.
- When Jimmy left (a guy who dominated our side) left many on here wanted Burton over Luai. Luai is now a SOO half.
- Api was a journeyman who was let go by Manly. People love to call him a dual premiership winner; how many games did he actually play for Souths that year?

Point being that if these people were developed through the Storm people would rave about the work done by Bellamy.

To be clear; I am not trying to say Ivan is as good as Bellyache. But it is an easy narrative to put Ivan down and talk Bellamy up.

DinkyDi

Juniors
- Edwards has been maligned all over (including this forum). The whole league is now asking the question ‘is he elite?’ now.
- When Jimmy left (a guy who dominated our side) left many on here wanted Burton over Luai. Luai is now a SOO half.
- Api was a journeyman who was let go by Manly. People love to call him a dual premiership winner; how many games did he actually play for Souths that year?

Point being that if these people were developed through the Storm people would rave about the work done by Bellamy.

To be clear; I am not trying to say Ivan is as good as Bellyache. But it is an easy narrative to put Ivan down and talk Bellamy up.
Unfortunately, Bellyache will also be remembered for salary cap rorting.

Iamback

Coach

Different circumstances.

Take Luai - has always been a half. In 10 years at the club he has played in 7 Grand Finals

That 2015 NYC team won 3 games in a row 72-10

We are reaping the rewards of an amazing crop of juniors

Compare that to Hughes and Cronk. From outside back plodders to elite 7

Pomoz

Bench
He has coached almost 400 games though. You need to put him with like for like.

Well certainly can't compare him to someone with 100 FG coached
How can you compare just based on the number of games? Madge won a premiership at Souths, gets his hands on the Tigers and it's all turned to custard. Your criteria rates him above Ivan, yet in reality , in his hands the Tigers stink like yesterday's prawns.

What about the quality of the teams they coached?

Gibson - Easts, Souths, Parramatta, St George, Newton, Cronulla
Gould - Dogs, Panthers, Easts
Cleary - Warriors, Panthers, Tigers

When Gould got his hand on the Dogs and the 91 Panthers they were already premiership quality. The Dogs team had already won two premierships in 84 and 85. When he got to Easts, Politis had started to bankroll them and they had began buying players and building a dynasty. Not the same as Ivan looking at Chris Armit, Cameron Ciraldo, Travis Burns and Luke Walsh.

Ivan is no super coach, but credit where it's due. He is not average and could be on the verge of creating something very special.

The_Frog

First Grade
Api was a journeyman who was let go by Manly. People love to call him a dual premiership winner; how many games did he actually play for Souths that year?
Api played 14 games, 10 at hooker and 4 off the bench. Isaac Luke was the first choice hooker but missed a large chunk of games, presumably injured.