What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs. Knights Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Bronx still have a long way to go with there attack, there attack on the line was terrible, great making metres up the middle, but as soon as they get to the line, they seem to get tunnel vision and seem to panick.

Agree with that. Something goes wrong when we get close to the line. Not enough creativity? Don't know. Lockyer looks really good when he goes into hooker and the one handed pick up gets the play moving really quickly.

3. Hodges (looked dangerous even off a standing start)
2. Beale (did some great takes and managed to poke his head through with his runs)
1. Hannant (one particularly good hit up stuck in our mind).

We have to get away from giving away silly mistakes towards the back end of games. I swear we were trying to get the knights back in it.

Parker's goal kicking will lose us a game soon.

We are certainly not playing our best footy, but we are still winning. Good sign surely?

AuDragon

Juniors
It's amazing how the Knights went from a real serious test to crappy within 2 hours. I wonder what happened? Oh wait...:sarcasm:

- 4 wins on the trot and 5 second halves straight without a try against us.
- Best defense in the league by far.
- Given the circumstances today (rain, greasy field), our attack wasn't even that bad. We scored 4 tries, which would have given us a 25-6 win if Parker had his kicking boots on.

- Wallace did quite well, bar that one crappy pass. His kicking game was quite good and reminded me of the Wallace of 2008. Plenty of room for improvement still.
- Hodges was the standout IMO, getting involved in key moments both in defense and attack to give us the advantage.
- Big wraps on Beale too, who had a very good game, except when he went to hooker, where his defense wasn't up to par and the Knights were just powering through the ruck. Not really his fault though, it's not his strongest suit and shouldn't have been there.
For Macca's stint on the bench, I would've shifted Wallace to hooker, Locky to HB and Norman 5/8.
- Locky, Yow Yeh, Reed, Glenn, Thaiday, Hannant and Te'o were good, as was Gillett, except that he's trying a bit too hard and still throws that stupid offload. He's obviously feverishly trying to find that form that made him easily rookie of the year in 2010.
-Parker was the usual workhorse, but you could see he wasn't as sharp as he has been recently, which also showed in his kicking. Undoubtedly after-effects of that bug...

- From the bench, Dodds was hitting hard in defense as usual until he went out concussed, Carlaw wasn't flash but didn't disappoint either, Kenny tried hard and made a very good try saving try towards the end of the game. Norman wasn't on the field long enough to do much good, or wrong, but he somehow didn't really looked like he belonged... :roll:

What made me happy was that despite rotating 3 forwards, our engine room didn't suffer too much and we still defended with plenty of gusto.
This was never going to be a high scoring game, nor a show of skill, so I'm overall pretty pleased with the result.

3- Hodges
2- Wallace
1- Beale
1- Reed (for 2 tries +1 non-sanctioned try)

Big Pete

Referee
It's amazing how the Knights went from a real serious test to crappy within 2 hours. I wonder what happened? Oh wait...:sarcasm:

People aren't going to stop those calls until the next month when we play the Roosters, Tigers, Bulldogs and Storm. Win 2/4 out of those and I believe those calls will pitter out.

Got to say, after that intense Wallace thread, Pete ended up having one of his best games in a loooong while. I think I'd even go back as far as 2009, he's finally beginning to find his old confidence.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Reed can't jump aiy.

Mate he was not tested in the air all night and made 1 decent jump on a flat footed fullback who actually got to the ball 1st but spilled it.

Any who, well done to the Broncos. Even though the Knights were their own worst enemies at times, the pressure put on our ball players and in particular our ruck really won you guys the game. Beale is a star

johns_reds

First Grade
3 - Hodges - great to have the man back, so much expierence, great at taking the ball up and relieving pressure from our forwards in our own half.
2 - Beale - had another good game at full back i thought, with hoffman back next week kind of feel sorry for him being moved, but such is life, im assuming he will go to wing next week?
1 - Wallace - pretty good game, i think we should bag him every week with a thread, seems to help his form.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
3 Hodges
2 lockyer
1 beale

great defense. people can say we werent playing top teams blah blah but keeping ANY team in the NRL tryless in the second half is an achievement let alone doing it for 5 consecutive matches

the attack really needs a lot of work, yes 4 tries in the conditions was good but we really should habve scored more. the players were too flat, players running back in field.....

busterc

Juniors
Wow I'd hate to see the bagging the broncos would get if they were actually losing!!!

Equal 1st on the table.
Best Defense in the comp.
2nd best For/Against in the comp.
All done with the youngest roster in the comp.

Premierships are always built on defense, Attack will come. It wont be long before this team puts 50 on someone.
In the meantime they can win as ugly as they want.

NFI

Juniors
The broncos attack certainly looked much better this week. It was soooooo good to see the boys actually running the ball to the line.

Mr Fourex

Bench
great defense. people can say we werent playing top teams blah blah but keeping ANY team in the NRL tryless in the second half is an achievement let alone doing it for 5 consecutive matches

That's the way I see it as well. I guess the Roosters next week will put an end to the "playing bottom teams" jibe.

I agree that the type of defensive efforts they are committing themselves to is the most pleasing part of the season so far.

I think the attacking plays will come........

DeeJ

Bench
3 - Hodges - back to his best, we really missed him last year, he is the only one in our team who can create something out of nothing

2 - Beale - super safe at the back and getting more involved. I think he should be FB for a while ahead of Hoffman on form

1 - Reed - I continue to be impressed more and more by this guy