What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 - Bulldogs vs Rabbitohs: Friday 7th April 4:05pm @Accor Stadium

Travitoh

First Grade
How good was Hame Sele?!

That's why i wasn't too concerned about the last couple weeks. We're still getting troops back and the draw is opening up for us. While i acknowledge it was against a depleted Dogs team, we started the season depleted against top opposition and never came close to being flogged like that. Good performance, could've been a lot better. Our season begins now. There's still a long way to go this year.

callmack1

Staff member
Yeaaaaa the Easter Bunnys!!!! How friggin good! What a win!! 50 points on the Doogies, I expected to win but certainly didn't expect that! The boys responded to last week and they responded very well. Once Addo-Carr went down, there was no excuse not to have a good win and that's exactly what we did!

The boys took a while to build into both halves but once they did, man, wasn't it pretty to watch?!! Finally, after weeks of clunky attack, we clicked into gear. Some of the tries we scored were absolutely beautiful, scintillating attack that we haven't seen for weeks! Finally, the timing returned, the passes stuck, our big guns fired, and everyone delivered. A great tactic to keep it right too with Addo-Carr not being out there. The lads just kept going there and it paid off.

However, I'm not going to sit here and say it was a perfect performance. A terrible start, and I mean TERRIBLE. We couldn't have started much worse to be honest. In fact, we looked very average for the first 20 minutes and I gotta admit, I was fuming. But to the boys credit, they sorted it out and turned it on when it mattered. However, then again for about 20 minutes of the second half, we looked flat and poor again. Was just going through the motions. But once again, we turned it on. So, as good as we were, it wasn't a full 80 minute performance. Still some really poor stuff in there, too many errors and I thought the tries we conceded were poor.

If anything though, I think that proves to everyone and the boys themselves, how good we can be when we get it right. We just need to stop fading in and out of games, simple as that. Play a full 80 and that scoreline could have been anything.

I'll go into it into more detail in my review tomorrow but hats off to Trell. More than answered his critics! That's the best game I've seen him play in a while he was that good! TripleMit!!

So not the perfect night, but still what a night! Very happy. To score 50 when you don't fully put it together for 80 minutes is quite the statement.

Hopefully this is exactly what we needed. We can enjoy our Easter now!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Cody was BRILLIANT
Latrell was probably MOM
Special shout outs to DSF, Tatola, and Sele.
Where the Nervous Nellies at?
The ones who were saying Armageddon was on us after last week's loss, against a side that stopped 3 tries on the line, that no other side except may be Penrith would have been able to do.
What did Melbourne do to the Roosters?
Yeah.....take your valium and lithium medications 😂

Rabbits20

Immortal
On Thompson the hip drop defs contributed to it didn’t look good think he might be out a while.

Ah well get AJ back and Milne moves to right wing outside Campbell which I do not mind.

Gosh I hope Junior is going to be ok please I pray.

DSF was good off the bench too good energy best game I think he’s played.

The halfback is still hot and cold so that concerns me a bit

Rabbits20

Immortal
Sele was enormous had me up out of my seat!

Trell is back baby dassit! That’s what we need from him.

Campbell had me out of my seat a lot too.

SOUTH SYDNEY CLAP CLAP CLAP

Runrabbit14

Juniors
Sele was enormous had me up out of my seat!

Trell is back baby dassit! That’s what we need from him.

Campbell had me out of my seat a lot too.

Agree, Sele was enormous - check out his leg drive and post contact metres !!

Graham gets better and better each week -not only three tries but some massive defensive reads !!!

Rabbits20

Immortal

Graham gets better and better each week -not only three tries but some massive defensive reads !!!
Was a good atmosphere 35k, Dogs had the crowd 60/40 but we drowned them out.

Inkers75

Juniors
Having watched the highlights I couldn't help notice how 'dry' the pitch looked.

Are the sprinklers not used before KO?

callmack1

Staff member
A glorious morning after a very good Friday!!

Mitchell Masterclass makes for Great Friday: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/07/mitchell-masterclass-makes-for-great-friday/

Press Conference - Round 6: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/04/07/round-6-post-match-press-conference/

'Teammates are filthy if you do that' - Souths coach's tirade over 'lazy' hip drop tackles: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...6/news-story/41fbd3ce89f9eb47b9c6e1a3460be06c

Hat-trick hero Latrell stuns in 'special' show as Dogs' injury crisis deepens - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/37182827f17a854d7bce539d5c2d6434

'Take a bullet for you' - Souths' unsung hero's hat-trick a 'great reward': https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/0726b57b5ea07274cae67dd046307d53

handyman2190

Bench

I know ive raved on about sele, im not doubting his talent,he was enormous,its his staying power i worry about,hoping he can not get injured again.
I was stressed first 15m i thought for once we got lucky at least 1 of lats trys was forward,but heck we cop it often enough.
Glory Glory!!

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
Just finished watching the replay so here's my full report,

Attack

Coming into this game, we were all calling for our boys to sort their shit out and we were all hoping that our attack would finally click. It fills me with joy to say that's exactly what happened.

It was a very shaky start and we looked pretty poor once again. Pretty flat and clunky, errors galore, we didn't look like scoring. But thankfully, we settled it down, worked ourselves back into the game and at about the 20 minute mark, the clunkiness completely disappeared and South Sydney were back! However, once again to start the second half, we were average again for 20 minutes. Back to the 'going through the motions' BS. It looked terrible!! But once again, to their credit, the boys snapped out of it and put on a show in the last 20 minutes again.

So, I'll just talk about our good periods here. How good was it to see us go away from the boring one-out shit and just play some Footy?!! Look at how friggin effective it was!! We identified a weakness on the Dogs' left edge with Addo-Carr gone (great tactics), and went there relentlessly. All of a sudden, passes were sticking, the timing came right, players were energised and pushing up around the ball, it just looked lethal!! The Dogs simply couldn't stop it. Some of the tries we scored were simply beautiful, so great to watch!!

For me, this just proves what I, and many others, have been going on about for the last six weeks. That if we get our own game right, we are so damn hard to stop. This performance just proves that. Look at the periods we were off, compared to the periods where we got it right. It's chalk and cheese. Minimise errors, Latrell gets involved, the spine fires and there ain't nothing that can stop us. The boys know that now, they've just proved it to themselves. let this be a lesson moving forward and we now know what we have to do.

The scary thing for other teams is that once again, it was mostly right-side play. The left is still yet to really fire... But it will....

Defence

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the defensive performance. Poor defensive discipline early on but they sorted it out thankfully. Obviously, there was that try off the scrum early on that was really poor from Milne and Walker but aside from that, we did pretty well. The Dogs scored off a grubber, which could have been covered better for sure, and a somewhat lucky intercept. I can kinda cop that. The rest of the game, Canterbury didn't really look like scoring. We didn't give them many chances and when they did have a chance, our lads were strong and turned them away. It was great to see. Our defence paved the way for our attack.

Player By Player

L.Mitchell: TripleMit!!!! What a night for our man in his milestone game! He copped the flack from a lot of us and the media after last week but boy, didn't he silence his critics in a big way?! An emphatic way. You could see right from the start that he was switched on and what a difference it makes. he was pushing up around the ball, looking for the ball and injecting himself. He was taking carries and purposeful kick returns when he could. Again, Trell just proved everything a lot of us have been saying. When he just injects himself and is in and around the ball, we're a completely different side and this performance just proves it. How good was he?? Probing around early on, some nice plays but no real success. That was until he scored two tries in two minutes! Great support play for both, he sniffed the opportunity and followed the ball, it's what all the great fullbacks do and it's something we haven't got from him lately. Later in the 66th minute, he was turning it on again with his support play to complete the hat-trick. But probably his most flashy plays came after that. Firstly, putting Stretch over for his second through amazing ball playing. He shaped to go short which got Alamoti interested, but then threw an absolute peach to Graham. Then, minutes later came one of the more special plays of his career. Again, something we haven't seen, Trell shows effort in chasing a bomb and creates his own luck, the ball falls in his lap and he shrugs off two defenders (still don't know how he did that) and delivers an amazing round the corner pass the Stretch for his hat-trick. The only way I can describe that is freakish. What's more, Trell's goal kicking was great too for a personal haul of 26 points. The only criticism I have of him after last night is his inability to position himself to cover the kick when Burton scored. But man, what a night for him in his 150th!! Man of the match, can't praise him enough. The challenge now is to not drop the standard next week.

Milne: I thought he was pretty good. Poor defence early on with that full field Bulldogs try, he got burnt by Kiraz which forced Cody to hesitate and Averillo was gone. But apart from that, Taane impressed me. The rest of his defensive game was solid, took all those high balls which made me really nervous all week, some really good carries for 119 meters and a nice little play to slightly skittle the Canterbury defence when Cody scored. If Thompson isn't right for next week, and JD doesn't pick Karapani, I'm happy for Taane to stay on the wing.

Tass: certainly not his best game, but that's not to say he wasn't good. A couple of errors with a forward pass and a dropped ball but other than that, he was solid. Didn't really get a lot of opportunities as the attack mostly went right but he played his hand. Really good tough carries, constantly put his hand up as he always does and sound defensively. Had a couple of nice catch-passes in a clear sign that he is working on it.

Graham: Amazing. Certainly, one of our best and if it wasn't for such a great game from Trell, I'd probably have Stretch as my man of the match. He was enormous. Firstly, his carries out of the backfield were incredible. Strong in every single one of them. He had a big 150 meters which is awesome. But before I get to his best moments, I'll talk about his defence. How good was he in this area?! Nothing got past him. Twice in the game the Dogs genuinely looked dangerous going to our right, twice Campbell reads it beautifully, rushes up and shuts it down. Brilliant stuff. But not only did he do the tough stuff, he had some awesome, flashy moments too. The first was his work on Trell's second try, a great bit of play. Stretch takes the pass and has the overlap so sprints into the clear, he realises he's going to get caught so takes it infield and looks like he's going to take the tackle which isn't a bad option. But no, he pops an amazing offload to Cody out of nowhere and the rest is history!! But he didn't stop there, it just got better! Moving to the wing after Thompson's injury, he shows AJ-like awareness with his positioning and bags three tries in ten minutes. Well-deserved for an awesome game.

Thompson: Speaking of awesome games, I thought Izaac was really, really good. He made a couple of errors as he wasn't able to finish two try-scoring opportunities, but I won't be too hard on him as they were pretty tough to be fair. But he was great in all other areas. Some huge carries on his way to a big 151 meters off 13 carries. Great play in setting up Trell for his first try, and his defence was pretty sound too. It's a real shame he got injured because I've been impressed with him in recent weeks, he's certainly improving. was jumping around celebrating in the sheds after the game so hopefully the injury isn't too bad.

Walker: Cody had a day out too which was great to watch. You could see it early that he was switched on and ready to go. Even when we weren't playing that great to start, Cody looked dangerous as he probed and pushed up around the ball. But he really came alive in our good periods of attack and really put on a show. Had a hand in both of Latrell's first two tries, the first through a nice cut out pass to Thompson to create the space, then he pushed up off the Campbell Graham line break (through a nice team play), took a miraculous pass from Stretch and showed freakish ability to reel the pass in and then still get it away from Trell while he was falling. Amazing. But Cody wasn't done there in the first half, Another try assist for him as he held the pass up just long enough off a shift got create a hole, then hit Hosty who strolled though. His second half was just as good as it was Cody who kicked us into gear again. This time, it was him scoring through some stepping and determination. Then he capped off a great night later in the game with that brilliant face ball for Graham's first. You won't see better ball-playing than that. Well done Codes! Great to see him hitting top form.

Ilias: In a pretty good team performance, I thought Lachy was probably our weakest link. I'm not going to bag him like some are, because I do think he's our future and I back him all the way, but he does deserve some constructive criticism. Again, we saw a lot of passes from him not hit the mark as he tries to get rid of the ball too quickly without looking. Needs to learn to just cop the hit there because it really took away all our momentum in those sets. I'm also starting to get a little concerned that we're not seeing any improvement in his kicking game. Yea, he put up some nice kicks, especially the one that Campbell scored his third off but aside from that, a lot of his kicks were those 'lollipop' bombs. There's no variety there. It's a concern and probably the biggest area of his game he needs to work on. We're not seeing any improvement yet which is a worry but hopefully it's coming. However, despite all this, he did still have some really good moments. Played his part perfectly in all three of Latrell's tries. His third especially was great as Lachy put Cartwright away. So yea, a bit to work on for the kid I think. He's been dipping a little bit recently.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Jeez he put a scare through the camp when he went down injured after his first carry, I was having nightmares. But he thankfully recovered well and looked fine, had a fantastic game after that despite only playing the first half (which JD said was the plan all along, all going well). He had some really good, purposeful carries and you could see the difference he made in our pack. Hopefully that knee is fine and he can build on this performance moving forward.

Cook: Copped it a bit from me last week because I thought his service was a big reason for our clunky attack. But no such issues this week for Cooky, quite the opposite in fact. He was great in this area, crisp, sharp passes which gave Cam, Cody and Lachy time. I will particularly give him credit for his pass in the lead up to Hosty's try. That was an absolute bullet which skipped out a number of defenders. Aside from this, Cooky made some really nice darts and finally earnt a penalty for catch markers out. Great play from him for our first try. Faked right which caused the Bulldogs defence to get flat-footed, before darting left, isolating a defender and delivering a nice pass to put Cam over. A great bit of deception. His defence was good too as always, I'm glad to see he didn't have to make as many tackles as recent weeks.

Burgess: A colossal force once again. Bit of a poor start from him with that error in our first attacking set on the line. But the rest of his performance certainly made up for it. He was just massive. Barnstorming runs and huge carries on his way to 163 meters. I'd go as far to say that he is one of the form props of the competition currently but doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Koloamatangi: Didn't really stand out in this one but that's not to say he wasn't good. Still played his part and did his job really well. He ran for 152 meters off 17 carries and was always a constant threat out there. Awesome play in the build up to Trell's second by Keaon, he looked like he was going to run, which sucked Alamoti in, and created the pass for Graham. A good pass from Keaon got it there. Well played special K.

Host: Continues to build which is great to see. He has continually improved on his first game back. Really good last night with his carries and some of the lines he was running. None better than the line he ran off Cody for his try, that was a great reward. No issues with him in defence either so a really good game from Hosty.

Murray: Was slightly off last week but back to his best in this one. With a lot of forwards finally returning, Cam doesn't have to bear as much of the load, and you can see the difference it makes in his performance. He was in electric form with his ball playing, as Cooper Cronk said in commentary. Played a perfect role there, almost a halfback's role in organising the line and creating space for whoever he's passing to. He had a really nice hand in a lot of our tries, most of them in fact. So he did the pretty stuff well but did the tough stuff just as well too. Awesome running and defensive game as always. 133 meters run off 20 carries, 31 tackles with none missed. Great stuff skip!

Cartwright: Got to be honest, he didn't have his best night, he was largely ineffective. Made an error with his first run which threw away an attacking opportunity. However, he did do a really nice job to set up Latrell for his third. But I don't think he's done enough to keep his job over Chee Kam.

Suluka-Fifita: His stint was short, but man was it sweet!! He was really good, very impressive. Provided real impact and energy off the bench and there was one set in particular, I can't remember if it was when Campbell scored his first or second, where Daniel really rolled the sleeves up and did his bit. Two big runs in the set to get us in position. He only played 24 minutes but still racked up 138 meters which is pretty crazy! I'd say career best game for him, I'm liking what he's doing.

Moale: Not bad, not bad at all. Didn't have a huge impact but still did his bit. Did his job.

Sele: I can't say the same about Hame because he had a huge impact!!! What a game from him. It's no coincidence that the game flipped in our favor when he came on. Seriously, what a performance. I'm blown away by his leg drive and post contact meters, it's amazing. We had a lot of good forwards out there, but Hame was probably our best. I really hope he can stay injury free because man, he's one hell of a player!

So, I'm not going to get too carried away with the win. Great to win big, great to put them away and put 50 on them, only a good side is going to do that, but I'm still not 100% happy. We still have massive room for improvement as we still drift in and out of games.

But hopefully, this is a big springboard in the right direction, and we can build off this.

Glory, Glory and Happy Easter to all!!