What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 v Souths

Kilkenny

Coach
DWZ either plays fullback or he goes back to NSW Cup. His talents are wasted on the wing.

Given our obvious lack of pace in the backline then serious consideration needs to be given to bring in Nabouli for his debut against the Titans. He has power, pace and the ability to compete for our bombs which Soward and Wallace are capable of delivering.

We need peachy in the side. To that end it will almost certainly have to be at the exclusion of Kingston. Sad but it has to be. Segeyaro to start with Tyronne as the bench dummy half or utility.

The other option we seriouslyneed to consider is a wide running power back rower. Cherrington, Robinson, Yeo or Cartwright but we need to offer something different to what we currently offer.

The current lineup is solid, competitive and can win games over the course of the season but it is not going to get us into the eight or top four. Simple as that.

Randy81

Juniors
The only good thing to come out of that game was that Idris gave me and my kids his boots. :)

Dwz catches and scores in the corner and it's game on. Mansour is a tough bugger but he sure as hell can't catch a bomb. Cost us big time.

Doomednow

Bench
Personal observations of game and comments:

f**king Mansour. Great in attack, horrific in defense.

Souths put on great goal line defense but too often this year we are getting loads of chances in the first half - heaps of time attacking the opp. goal line - and just not turning it into points. At least we crossed over a few times and just got held up but f**k me it's the most frustrating thing to watch.

Whoever said our halves don't run, they had a few cracks tonight, actually, just didn't get anywhere. Also, late in the game Wallace tried a chip and chase and looked to be tripped. Kicking was mostly good.

One dubious try from Souths (ran behind own player to avoid a tackle) but the other two were far, albeit directly the fault of Mansour. We were beaten pretty damn fairly.

Tim Grant came out strong but faded as the match went on.

Got too desperate as the game went on. That one DWZ (can we just call him dubya or something? DWZ is a mouthful) spilled was just a rookie mistake, otherwise he was over.

Overall a pretty damn disappointing game, but not the end of the world. The areas we are needing to work on are becoming pretty well-defined. This team is still getting used to playing with each other. Don't expect to achieve much this year but once we get settled should see some consistency.

NB - It's not like I'm not used to it but f**king hell it's annoying watching a disappointing game and having to wait a whole week for a chance to see the boys put a solid effort together.

Pomoz

Bench
One things for sure, Tim and Sam did OK, but they are not $750K front rowers, not even close. Sam run for 31m. I measured it to the fridge. I did more metres getting my beer, although I didn't have Sam Burgess cutting me in half every time I went for a top up. Was the 31m measured from when he run on the field and included the bit down the tunnel?

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Idris is the Panthers equivalent to Tony Williams.

Sorry, but that statement is just idiotic.

His attack may be a little off at times but defensively he has been outstanding this season thus far and last week made 222m ffs.

Last night he was one of the only ones to bend the line back.

Re-watch the game.

meek

Juniors
Mansour shocking in defence , absolutely woeful game by him imo
cant agree on taylor really think hes not as bad as some think.
kite back to soon , much better than that performance
kingston has to go

peachey back and dont want to upset the mansour glee club but nabuli in for him.
mansour needs to dramatically improve his defence , just not up to the required standard defencively
not the end of the world but a dissapointing loss

bring on next week

meek

Juniors

His attack may be a little off at times but defensively he has been outstanding this season thus far and last week made 222m ffs.

Last night he was one of the only ones to bend the line back. Please

Re-watch the game.

spot on was thinking the same , I thought idris played well given the
overall team performance
think taylor cops unfair flak as well

mansour to poor in defence to be our permanent answer on the wing imo
btw wheres the mansour fairy dust crew from last year, the man sat at the right hand of god
hes showing exactly what some of us pointed out before we got trashed by the fan club
Greatin attack but shocking in defence

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
For the defence he regurlarly displays Mansours attack isnt good enough, hes to slow to score from longer then about 30 metres out and no threat in the air plus he is good for a simple dropped ball or two every game. Good tough player but he is limited in attack and a liability often in defence. There are a couple other shit performances but no one else gifted them two tries.

Timmy showed some life in the first half but other then that our props were average or worse.

Disagree about Idris being like Tony Williams, Idris has a go and his is very strong In defense, he man handled george burgess back a metre or two on his own last night.

With our placid soft forwards it's hard to drop Mansour. Who's going to make meters without him?
Moylan's kick returns are also costing us big time.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Wallace is a massive issue for us. He is a deadset robot with no attacking flair whatsoever.

Nealo 12

First Grade

Last night he was one of the only ones to bend the line back.

Re-watch the game.

Probably need to clarify my statement a bit better now that I've settled down ... Yes he has made some metres but I just think he could get involved a bit more at critical times, maybe fitness still not up there yet .

soc123_au

Staff member
Probably need to clarify my statement a bit better now that I've settled down ... Yes he has made some metres but I just think he could get involved a bit more at critical times, maybe fitness still not up there yet .

I don't think it is fitness, just timing. He seems to get the ball flat footed. The only well timed run he had nearly resulted in a try. If we can get a few dry games I can see Idris being pretty dominant. Although dissapointed with our attack, credit has to be given to souffs defence. They were very good, no holes, slowed the play the balls down & limited any second phase.

meek

Juniors
Wallace is a massive issue for us. He is a deadset robot with no attacking flair whatsoever.

showing exactly why Broncos gave the impression they where glad to see him gone.
Good tackler shite in attack - too early to say I know but IMO a poor recruitment - we should have stuck with Isaac And have j=used Wallace money somewhere else -
But I have faith im wrong Gould and co must see something I don't

Last edited:

Nugget10

Juniors
Holy shit us Pennies fans are a weird mob. We are 6 rounds in with a new halves pairing who've only played together Three times. Played a genuine title contender in shocking conditions. We get beat and all of a sudden we're doomed?

Personally I'm not ready to write them off. I'm prepared to give them more time to click.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

The thing is, Wallace and Soward are potentially our halves for the next three years. So with that in mind, we have to really be having a hooker, fullback, both second-rowers (lock I can handle Docker or Taylor there), wingers, and maybe one of the props as true attacking weapons, able to create chances regularly. So do we have that coming through?

Hooker: Segeyaro and possibly Moseley, you'd think we a pretty well covered in that
Fullback: Moss and DWZ (though the latter hasn't really impressed me in any of the games I've seen him play yet, NSW Cup and first grade combined, but you can understand him not hitting full stride in first grade yet). Hard to tell what will happen with them. Moylan is not the answer, I don't think.
Second-Rowers: Manu wants to be a prop, but he could still be an attacking weapon. Peachey could be, but seems too small and would weaken our defense. Cartwright is everyone's main hopes here. Robinson has proven that he can be useful in attack. I personally haven't seen enough of VTK, Cherrington etc to comment
Wingers: I haven't seen Nabuli play, so no real comment there. None of other wingers are barn-burners. Mostly solid with a few glaring weaknesses.
Ball-Playing Impact Props: I miss Masoe.

So are you happy with our talent coming through that we will be able to survive three years with a Wallace/Soward pairing? (And I like Soward - but he should not have to be our only attacking option; he's going to struggle in that situation.)

Panther Pete

Juniors
Last night seemed like a replay of any 2013 game with inside ball after inside ball when there was nothing on. Surely now we need Seg starting and then rotate with Peachy to get some spark or create something because currently there isn't much on offer. Moylans slow kick returns aren't helping either, we desperately need some speed in the backs. In recent weeks we have seen the storm and manly get towelled which is a rare occurrence so perhaps it's just going to be one of those seasons where winning ever other game will be a good result.

darkbloom

Juniors
Wow. Preseason everyone, especially the knowledgeable Panthers supporters, was spruking about us being a force this year.

Now it sounds we are back needing to wait for the talent coming through before we are worthy contenders.

Something is not living up to expectations, what is it? The players, the coach, the admin? What has caused the the performances to not live up to the preseason positivity.

In your judgement what are the problems. Are you getting nervous or do you remain brimming with confidence and excited about the season.

I must admit we heavily dominated possession in the first half last night. This should have given us a good lead and should have also tired the opposition out.

It did neither.

In fact we could not score a try and rather than them flagging in the second half it seemed to be us struggling with tiredness.

Our attack is pedestrian. Our fitness looks wanting.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Here it is again Mansour let a try in, call for his head, Nabuli isn't going to change anything.
Deadset delusional merkins.

We had nothing in attack and that comes down to Soward and Wallace, We keep dominating games and they cant get the job done, we won the forward battle last night and lost. merkins need to get their shit together.

We are lacking a hard running back rower that runs good lines, Robinson next week please.

Latest posts