What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 v Souths

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
In your judgement what are the problems.

It's simple: attack. Quality attack is the product of (in no particular order of importance):

1. Quality halves (with support from the hooker) who can pull off great passes and kicks consistently and are able to organize the team in the opposing 30.
2. Having impact players that can create space anywhere on the field, whether through speed, or footwork, or sheer power, or whatever.
3. Having a coach that encourages attacking play.
4. Having quality set backline plays.
5. Having the fitness to maintain a high-energy approach, though obviously you don't have to attack non-stop for the entire game

I think we have precisely 0 of those. The closest is #5 (maybe) and Soward as part of #1. That's it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Darkbloom we have the squad that can win the comp. It's tactics & poor selections stopping us from getting near that level.

Take the 4 or 5 players that shouldn't be there like Kingston. 1 of Brown/Docker, Speed on the wing. Slow halfback. We would still make the metres & defend like we do now but would have more skill in attack.

That aside it shouldn't be that hard to not kick on the 3rd or get Idris or Mansour 1 on 1 with Merritt close to the line. Too predictable our attack.

On Idris he was screaming for it that whole second half even had a heated discussion with a few team mates out there. Defence his there off our line he has runs.

So I can't fault him much like when we had Jennings & gave him no ball same here. A backrower that can draw defenders would free him up like Pritchard did for Jennings.

mxlegend99

Referee
Why not try:

1. DWZ / K. naiqama
6. Soward
7. Moylan
9. Segeyaro

14. Wallace / Peachey

Need pace and tackle breaking ability from fullback. Moylan has good ball playing ability in the opposition 20 and might offer more then Wallace. Wallace can fight with Peach for the utility spot. Happy for Wallace to get first crack.

John isnt the answer. We were missing Wallace massively when he was playing. Not sure Moylan would do better, but I can't see him doing worse. While you know Kev or DWZ would definitely do better at the back.

darkbloom

Juniors
Why do you say this? Besides a handful of players coming back from injury I think our fitness is good.

Last night a few players seemed to be blowing like they had just run a melbourne cup. Yes the ground was very heavy but the Souths players did not seem to be suffering despite all the defence they had to do.

darkbloom

Juniors
It's simple: attack. Quality attack is the product of (in no particular order of importance):

1. Quality halves (with support from the hooker) who can pull off great passes and kicks consistently and are able to organize the team in the opposing 30.
2. Having impact players that can create space anywhere on the field, whether through speed, or footwork, or sheer power, or whatever.
3. Having a coach that encourages attacking play.
4. Having quality set backline plays.
5. Having the fitness to maintain a high-energy approach, though obviously you don't have to attack non-stop for the entire game

I think we have precisely 0 of those. The closest is #5 (maybe) and Soward as part of #1. That's it.

Well if we have precisely zero of these are we in a rebuilding phase not a contender stage? In your estimation do we have anything to be optimistic about? Or do we need a clean out?

chrisD

Coach
With this squad we should be finishing 5-6 in my estimation, squad is good, culture and combination needs time, and we need to sacrifice some defence and safety for attack, Cleary has the players to be able to do this, and hopefully the inclination.

chrisD

Coach
Why not try:

1. DWZ / K. naiqama
6. Soward
7. Moylan
9. Segeyaro

14. Wallace / Peachey

Need pace and tackle breaking ability from fullback. Moylan has good ball playing ability in the opposition 20 and might offer more then Wallace. Wallace can fight with Peach for the utility spot. Happy for Wallace to get first crack.

John isnt the answer. We were missing Wallace massively when he was playing. Not sure Moylan would do better, but I can't see him doing worse. While you know Kev or DWZ would definitely do better at the back.

I think DWZ needs time at FB in NSW cup before we play him there in FG. At the moment Moylan's ball playing slotting into the backline is almost all we have that are not kicks, and I don't think DWZ will ever be as good as Moylan at that.

If it were me I'd wait until Moss has a few NSW Cup games back under his belt, move him into FG, drop Moylan to play half and DWZ to play FB. and hopefully they pan out and Moylan and DWZ could move into FG in those positions. But it's a fantasy, Wallace and Soward are the halves for three years.

soc123_au

Staff member
I am hopeful once the team gels then some second phase play will bring the points. Less rain will help.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Well if we have precisely zero of these are we in a rebuilding phase not a contender stage? In your estimation do we have anything to be optimistic about? Or do we need a clean out?

Well, in my opinion, with Cleary at the helm, we are only ever going to play the one way, safe and tight. So I'm positive about our defense. It'll keep us in games.

But we are not contenders because of our lack of attacking options.

souths_pride

Juniors
From an outside perspective (and forgive me if this has already been discussed) but with all the talk about Penrith having these really talented juniors coming through..did any penrith fans find it a little bit strange that the club went out and signed players who were over the hill or not that good on long term deals? I mean if my club was going through a rebuilding phase theres is no way id sign jamie soward and Peter Wallace on long term deals (or at all for that matter) or brent kite who is one year away from being admitted into a nursing home hes that old. Also if you were building for the future I think it would have been a wise decision to let kevin kingston go and get a younger player in at hooker. You build your team around your halves, hooker and fullback (Matt Moylan is a good player) and I believe if you were going through a rebuilding phase you would have young players in all those positions. What Id like to know from penrith fans is are penrith REALLY going through a rebuilding phase or is this just window dressing to cover up another poor season if you guys fail to make the finals?

franklin2323

Immortal
With our placid soft forwards Who's going to make meters without him?

I would start Sege. Have a bench of Peachey, Mansour, Manu (prop), prop. Gives us impact.

The rest start or don't play. Speed outwide gives gives us options we don't have now. Still get our good starts.

Throw in a few set plays and we are getting somewhere even with Wallace at 7.

Big Mick

Referee
FFS one loss in shit weather and the world is falling apart. It's not that bad.

Show me the team that wins all their games in a season in the modern era.

The one and only move I would make at the moment is Kingston to go to NSW Cup and Peachey in.

In about 8 weeks when Cartwright/VTK are ready one can come in for Brown.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
I would start Sege. Have a bench of Peachey, Mansour, Manu (prop), prop. Gives us impact.

The rest start or don't play. Speed outwide gives gives us options we don't have now. Still get our good starts.

Throw in a few set plays and we are getting somewhere even with Wallace at 7.

Then you're still starting with Brown, Docker and Taylor and look the same team that camped on their try line in the first 25 minutes.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
FFS one loss in shit weather and the world is falling apart. It's not that bad.

Show me the team that wins all their games in a season in the modern era.

The one and only move I would make at the moment is Kingston to go to NSW Cup and Peachey in.

In about 8 weeks when Cartwright/VTK are ready one can come in for Brown.

30, 17, 18, 16, 12, 2.

That's the concerning thing to me.

We really, really, really desperately need Moss, DWZ, Jennings, Campbell-Gillard, and especially Cartwright to fulfill their potential (and Segeyaro to be given a fair crack) to be threatening in the near future, assuming that we are committed to Wallace/Soward as a pairing to take us forward.

Last edited:

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
So we all hate Wallace now ?

I was disappointed we signed him (especially for as long as we have, and given the fact the Broncos, who were hardly blessed in the halves, wanted nothing to do with him) but hoped that he would just be solid in a team full of other players that would make things happen.

He has his uses, but in the team we have, and the way we play, his limitations are exposed more, rather than compensated for.

Munky

Coach
It was unfortunate that when we were camped on their line in the first half it was pouring down. The only way we were ever going to score would be a mistake or a kick. No ball player could put a man over in those conditions without a lot of luck.

It stopped raining in the second half and Souths had 15 minutes of possession that tired out our forward pack.

Have we played on a dry track since round 1?