What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Roosters

Gronk

Staff member
Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta, Saturday 5.30pm (AEST)
Michael Chammas writes: The last time the two teams met back in round two the Roosters racked up half a century against the Eels. However Brad Arthur's men are a different football team a month later. The Roosters are struggling to score points and while they've had no problem crossing the line against the Eels in recent times, they might struggle on enemy territory. If Nathan Peats is at his best, the strong and skillful Eels backline might be in for a big evening.
Tip: Eels by 6 :shock:

EELS: Jarryd Hayne (capt), Semi Radradra, Will Hopoate, Willie Tonga, Ken Sio, Corey Norman, Chris Sandow, Tim Mannah (capt), Nathan Peats, Fuifui Moimoi, Kenny Edwards, Manu Ma'u, Joseph Paulo. Interchange: Peni Terepo, Mitch Allgood, David Gower, Pauli Pauli.
ROOSTERS: Anthony Minichiello (capt), Daniel Tupou, Michael Jennings, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jake Friend, Sam Moa, Boyd Cordner, Sonny Bill Williams, Frank-Paul Nuuausala. Interchange: Daniel Mortimer, Aidan Guerra, Mitchell Aubusson, Dylan Napa, Kane Evans, Isaac Liu (two to be omitted).
Referees: Gerard Sutton, Dave Munro.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
It's nice to see there aren't any articles talking the eels up. And I haven't seen any quotes / interviews with players talking about how good we are going.

Compared this to the tigers, quite a few articles about them this week. And players talking up their form. Even read a article this morning where james garvet states he reckons the tigers pack is in the top 5 best packs in the comp.

oldmancraigy

Coach
It's nice to see there aren't any articles talking the eels up. And I haven't seen any quotes / interviews with players talking about how good we are going.

Compared this to the tigers, quite a few articles about them this week. And players talking up their form. Even read a article this morning where james garvet states he reckons the tigers pack is in the top 5 best packs in the comp.

They might be in the top 5 second best packs in the comp?

Either he is a bad judge, or there are some truly awful packs in the NRL in 2014:

Woods (Excellent)
Farah (Top tier)
Keiffy (mediocre, injury prone, and past his best)
Fulton (see above)
Bodene Thompson (average, but I think he has potential)
Blair (pea heart who can play at the top level for the 3 games a year he puts in)

Taupau (potential)
Gavet (potential)
Akauola (never heard of him).

Not saying non-Eels fans would rate our pack any higher, but that pack is no better than average at best.

Dyldam Parramatta Eels Head Coach Brad Arthur has put out a call to arms to the Blue and Gold Army to fill the stadium for Saturday night’s rematch with the Sydney Roosters.
The two sides will vie for the Jack Gibson Cup at Pirtek Stadium, Parramatta, and Arthur says a vocal home crowd would be a boost as his side looks to notch up a third back-to-back win.
And the Eels coach said the Blue and Gold is ready to use that support and dig in for another strong defensive display at home.
“Playing at home, we’re hoping to get 20,000 plus fans,” Arthur said.
“And we’re ready to roll up the sleeves and defend really well, too.”
“Home crowd advantage can make a massive difference when you’re defending your try line and when you’re getting a bit of momentum in attack at the other end of the if half.”
“It can be the difference between a big play and someone making that extra effort, so if we can get a huge crowd, that’d be great.”
Saturday night’s match against the Sydney Roosters won’t just be an opportunity for the Eels to settle the score after their round 2 loss to the tricolours, it’s also a chance to mark a vital day in Eels history.
On the 12th of April, 1947, the Parramatta Eels played their first ever competition match against the Newtown Jets.
And 67 years later, Eels greats will gather at Pirtek Stadium to watch the Eels take on the Roosters, and to take part in a lap of honour as we celebrate the anniversary of the Eels entry into the New South Wales Rugby League competition.
The Blue and Gold legends will also join the current Eels squad on Sunday for the annual Dyldam Parramatta Eels past and present first-grade players and officials’ reunion.
The Eels are also happy to offer a 2-for-1 ticket deal until Thursday night April 10: simply select the "Corner Post Promo" to get 2 adult tickets in any of the four corner bays for just $30.
Click through to purchase your tickets for Saturday night’s match as the Eels take on the Roosters for the Jack Gibson Cup!
http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2014/04/09/arthur_we_want_20_000_at_parramatta.html

after two good wins i hope we get a decent crowd 15k at least

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
The Parramatta Eels meet the Sydney Roosters in Round 6 of the NRL at Pirtek Stadium. The game kicks off Saturday April 12 at 5.30pm.
What: NRL Round 6
Who: Parramatta v Sydney Roosters
When: Saturday April 12 – 5.30pm
Where: Pirtek Stadium
I Can Watch It On: Fox Sports

Form Guide:
Eels: WLLWW
Broncos: LWWLL

Things You Need To Know:
Jared Waerea-Hargraves will back doing what he does best – smashing blokes – after serving a one game ban. Parramatta are unchanged

Reason To Watch:
Jarryd Hayne. He's back to his best and playing with a smile on his face. Let's hope the Hayne Plane is cleared for take-off at least once

Reason To Turn Away:
It was just a month ago that the Roosters put a half century on Parra. They say time heals all wounds but is four weeks enough for the scars to disappear? We'll soon find out.

Say What:
"I feel really proud about the way the guys are playing, the way that they're building their game. Now the cherry-on- top stuff has got to come next. We're heading in the right direction with our footy." – Trent Robinson is not alarmed over the premiers' indifferent start to the year.

Final Word:
A few weeks back you would have taken all of 1.3 seconds to come up with a winner here. But the Eels are a different beast to what we saw just a few rounds ago – and so are the Roosters at the moment. We still expect the Chooks to get the cash, but not before the home side has really given it to them. Roosters by 7.
http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nr...-v-sydney-roosters/1eojynqhcjkrm1s6deo4wg67np

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels learned from round-two demolition by Sydney Roosters, says captain Jarryd Hayne

Posted 28 minutes ago
Photo: Tables have turned ... There was not a lot to cheer about for the Eels when they last played the Roosters but there season has turned around since then. (Getty Images: Brendon Thorne)
Map: Sydney 2000

Captain Jarryd Hayne says Parramatta learnt plenty from its round-two thrashing by the Sydney Roosters and it will show when the two sides clash again on Saturday.
Just four weeks after the premiers humbled the Eels 56-4 the teams meet again in round six of the NRL at Parramatta Stadium.
Since that loss the Eels have shown they are no longer the easybeats of the past three seasons under new coach Brad Arthur.
They suffered a last minute defeat to Manly in round three before enjoying wins over Penrith and Brisbane to move into the top eight and ahead of the Roosters on the premiership ladder.
Hayne says the rematch is a chance for the Eels to show they have improved.
"It is a four-week break, a bit unique for us (but) the way we have been it is playing a great test for us, the best test we could have at this time," Hayne said at training on Friday.
"With the way we lost, ever since then we have bounced back and stuck to our guns and hopefully we can continue that on Saturday night.
"We have got some confidence since then.
"Being a young team you can come in and out of games, you don't realise the effect that inconsistency has until you play someone like the Roosters, you have a good first half and the second half goes out the window.
"We are still young and we are still learning. To play the Roosters again, we can really see where we are at and see how far we have come."
Since the win over Parramatta, the Roosters have beaten Brisbane and scored only eight points total in dour defensive defeats to Manly and Canterbury in wet conditions.
They welcome back their forward leader Jared Waerea-Hargreaves after a one-week shoulder charge ban for a high shot on Sea Eagles back rower Glenn Stewart.
"Their forward pack is one of the best in the competition and we are going to be in for it tomorrow night," Hayne said.
AAP
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-...sters-loss-jarryd-hayne/5383860?section=sport

spiderdan

Bench
win, lose or draw as long as they turn up i will be happy (and obviously happier if they win). them talking about what they learned, and then actually applying it is what makes me look forward to what arthur's' can do with this team.

it seems a huge difference to how the squad went about their business the last few seasons.

Gronk

Staff member
From above link.

Not real.

Funny, but not real. :lol:

ROOSTERS firebrand Jared Waerea-Hargreaves has labelled the Parramatta Eels forward pack soft as pillows made from New Zealand wool.

Stung by claims they were the weak link in last weeks game, the Kiwi wrecking ball revealed the Sydney Roosters forwards had been "going berserk" in the gym as they strive to become the most feared men in the game.

Just a few days away from a mouth-watering rematch against Parramatta, Waerea-Hargreaves claimed his club had the forward muscle to "break Parramatta in half".

"I think we had a solid forward pack last year, but a lot of the boys have gone away and stacked on 5kg over the off-season," Waerea-Hargreaves said.

"We are looking a lot bigger and some of the guys are just humungous. They are also fit and fast. I mean, a bloke like SBW has just been going berserk in the gym, and he is not alone."

"A lot of people think Parramatta have turned a corner, It will be more like a U-turn" Waerea-Hargreaves said.

"We played them 3 weeks ago and they had nothing, their forwards couldn't stop me"

"We have moved on since that game and worked on our attack, Robbo has had us playing touch footy at training so we can get used to Parramatta's defence".

"I think other teams will show us that respect if we put 50 on Parramatta at their home ground and I think then we can then start focusing on teams worth focusing on".

"I had trouble sleeping since the loss to Dogs, so i went out and bought a Tim Mannah, the softest Pillow on the market and come this Saturday i will be snoring like a old man with a deviated septum".

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Last Friday arvo I saw Manu Ma'u coming out of Coles on Queen Street, Brisbane carrying two raw chicken carcasses that he looked like he was about to devour.

I didn't hang around though because he scared me a bit.

Latest posts