What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Panthers vs Raiders

Iamback

Coach
Crichton was good,. but he is starving his winger. IF he passes, it's usually too late or behind/over his winger.

Staines doesn't come inside to be fair.
Crichton likes to go around the defender gives no room to pass it.
That is when the winger should come back inside

Iamback

Coach
Probably had the shits he was dropped for soni

Passing it behind receivers is more then having the shits.
A forward pass when attacking the line
A few times we had a backline set and it went behind the centre
A few sets he wasn't in marker until late in the set.

A few more games will help.
Wallace is the NSW Cup coach so a bit of time with him can only help

betcats

Referee
Next season maybe Kenny starts and Luke off the bench. This season gets a look at both and decides which to put in the 14 for the finals.

That is my thinking, Kenny starts and luke comes off the bench. Not as good as having Api but it can be a really solid hooker rotation.

Also Leniu’ form has been super pleasing the last few weeks, he seems to be finding some consistency really hope he keeps getting more minutes and going well.

Iamback

Coach
Agree. Still think Crichton has been a bit underwhelming. Bit Waqa Blakeish with the ball tbh but with much better hands.

Thought Kiks had a stormer.

124m gained a game. 6 tries. 81 tackle %
6 errors.

Looks decent enough to me

BxTom

Bench
Staines doesn't come inside to be fair.
Crichton likes to go around the defender gives no room to pass it.
That is when the winger should come back inside
Actually he comes inside a lot - he has too because Crichton is continually trying to go around. Crichton should be trying to draw defenders to him so the Staines (the faster player) can burn them with his speed. That's what most Centre/Winger combos do. Look at Tago/May and nearly every other combo. Addo Carr is nearly always on the sideline or edge of the defensive line so that he can use his speed..

Iamback

Coach
That is my thinking, Kenny starts and luke comes off the bench. Not as good as having Api but it can be a really solid hooker rotation.

Also Leniu’ form has been super pleasing the last few weeks, he seems to be finding some consistency really hope he keeps getting more minutes and going well.

Not sure we can carry that bench if we need to spell an edge.
Kiks is playing 80 not all do

Not sure why Soni was so gussed after 20 mins. It was 10 before break and 10 after and he was walking. There was hardly any tackling needed. If he spends 80 in nswcup, he should at least do 30 in NRL.

betcats

Referee
I thought critta was good. The passes he gets wrong usually are the tough flick passes when they are rushing him. Hopefully he can get better there but generally if he has time and space he makes the right decision pass or run based on what the defence is doing imo.

Iamback

Coach
Not sure why Soni was so gussed after 20 mins. It was 10 before break and 10 after and he was walking. There was hardly any tackling needed. If he spends 80 in nswcup, he should at least do 30 in NRL.
The intensity was very low out there too.
I doubt it was a 1 off so I guess we will see if that improves

Iamback

Coach
Actually he comes inside a lot - he has too because Crichton is continually trying to go around. Crichton should be trying to draw defenders to him so the Staines (the faster player) can burn them with his speed. That's what most Centre/Winger combos do. Look at Tago/May and nearly every other combo. Addo Carr is nearly always on the sideline or edge of the defensive line so that he can use his speed..

Staines has gone into Touch a few times going to score. Had a half chance today and dropped a difficult pass.
He is having more runs a game then Tago and Kiks

So he is getting some ball but Crichton has been moved around the side and needs time in the one position.

The intensity was very low out there too.
I doubt it was a 1 off so I guess we will see if that improves
We gotta get a shinny new toy, experience 9, we stuff this up and there's no returning to what it is now. 1 bad year can fold us quite quickly. I am too impatient to trial this. Kenny and Luke not good enough.

chrisD

Coach
Has Crichton even assisted Staines on a try since that most basic Newcastle one? He should have had 1 that Staines dropped cold but all these shit teams have been a chance for them to get some combination but it’s just not happening. I can recall a shitload of embarrassing attempts which you’ve all probably not seen because you’re all immune to them.

betcats

Referee
Not sure we can carry that bench if we need to spell an edge.
Kiks is playing 80 not all do

Yeah it could be interesting, Martin got a good stint in the middle tonight so we could use salmon to rest kikau more in different circumstances. We were on the front foot so much in that second half plus Api had a good rest I think they were happy to leave kiks out there. We really didn’t have to defend back to back sets or get put under pressure in that second half at all.

chrisD

Coach
Which does anyone see it as a long term thing?
Kiks playing 80 doesn't work. Need to start someone then have him finish the game.

We are playing a forward short atm
I do, I think Kenny/Luke 14 and Salmon 17 is the default team all the way to the finals that will only change if one of the fringe first grade forwards gets an opportunity and proves themselves too valuable to drop.

What eats at me is why are we running Martin and Kikau into the ground in these games instead of hardening Salmon. Same with Fish/Lenui but that changed today.

Iamback

Coach
I do, I think Kenny/Luke 14 and Salmon 17 is the default team all the way to the finals that will only change if one of the fringe first grade forwards gets an opportunity and proves themselves too valuable to drop.

What eats at me is why are we running Martin and Kikau into the ground in these games instead of hardening Salmon. Same with Fish/Lenui but that changed today.

I am hoping with some game time. Some NSW Cup guys come in someone like Smith to give Kikau a rest

betcats

Referee
Can’t overstate how happy I am for Soni luke. Such a tough run he’s had if things had been different for him he could’ve been a long term player for us already he was definitely on that path after under 20s. To get all the injuries he’s had, leave the club and then come back via st Mary’s then NSW cup and get his debut with so many of the guys he played with back in 2015 is such a good story. Absolutely stoked for the guy.

chrisD

Coach
Edwards passing ok, definitely improving, but it’s a different thing to make those passes effective with the less time he’ll get against the better defences (though tbh no-1s defence has impressed yet this season).