What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Panthers vs Raiders

betcats

Referee
Ivan mentioned in the presser he was keen to get Kenny 80 mins in cup and it was a good time to bring soni in, wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team next week v titans and then Kenny back for the run of tough games we have in a couple weeks.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ivan mentioned in the presser he was keen to get Kenny 80 mins in cup and it was a good time to bring soni in, wouldn’t be surprised to see the same team next week v titans and then Kenny back for the run of tough games we have in a couple weeks.

This is great forward planning. Good idea to blood blokes like Soni for when origin hits.

This is something Cleary and his team have improved in over the past 2 or so years.

The_Frog

First Grade
Thinking Big Brain Rapana might be on the receiving end of a bluey for his push on Crichton after the first try. Also no doubt they'll check out the stink at fulltime, no idea what or who started it.

Nathan and Jack Wighton on report according to the NRL site.

Edit: I see Edwards get his second smack in the mouth in as many weeks from Jack, can't see what Nathan is supposed to have done though.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Thinking Big Brain Rapana might be on the receiving end of a bluey for his push on Crichton after the first try. Also no doubt they'll check out the stink at fulltime, no idea what or who started it.

Nathan on report according to the NRL site.

I just watched the game.

The level of niggle from Canberra was at the next level. It amuses me no end after losing such a game, the Canberra fan base pull out the victim card.

WestyLife

First Grade
Happy for Luke. He looks good if he can get the kind of fitness first grade requires. The right side still looks a bit off. Crichton/Staines are good defensively but have no chemistry in attack. Lenui is looking the goods as well.

Yeo is still a God.

The Realist

Juniors
You only need to look at other sides

Roosters got Brandon Smith
Storm are letting a top 3 player go. To keep Grant
Newcastle have gone from fringe top 8. To fringe spoon without Brailey
Manly are missing a good 9

I'm one of those people who thinks that the dummy half position is possibly the most important in the game and definitely a top 3 position. It really depends on the coach. I think that Ivan is one of those coaches whose structures depend on it the most, along with Bellamy. Just look at us in 2019 with Katoa who just couldn't kick on under Ivan (and the Bulldogs). I even believe that Robinson depended more on a chronically underratted J.Friend then many realised and hence why the Roosters went all out to get Smith.

Other top coaches prefer ball playing fullbacks or dynamic 5/8th's (Bennett, Hasler) but that doesn't appear to be Ivan's thing.

This year to my line of reasoning Api has been our 2nd best player behind Yeo, but perhaps just as if not more important.

His loss will be immense. Some will blame that lack of punch on our left edge with Kikau leaving, but the biggest reason behind us falling back from these current heights (which is obviously not sustainable) would be the loss of Api without a roughly comparable replacement.

Fangs

Coach
Last day game at home for a very long time. Sunday afternoons will never be the same.

Soni Luke had a great debut. Very confident. Probably should have had a second assist but he went for the line. At least he backs himself. Great to see.

Canberra defended quite well. But they were absolutely dominated in the middle. Their back 5 also had nothing. I actually wanted them to get some soft penalties to make a game of it.

Round 21 at Bruce stadium will be very rowdy. They were disrespected y the crowd yesterday. Ricky isn't the kind to forget that.

BxTom

Bench
Staines has gone into Touch a few times going to score. Had a half chance today and dropped a difficult pass.
He is having more runs a game then Tago and Kiks

So he is getting some ball but Crichton has been moved around the side and needs time in the one position.
Which supports my argument. He is usually given only given the ball just inside the touch line. His debut against the Sharks (4 tries) shows he is capable. Crichton needs to use him instead of trying to do it all himself. If he does, defenders will be in two minds instead of knowing Crichton is unlikely to pass.

BxTom

Bench
Happy for Luke. He looks good if he can get the kind of fitness first grade requires. The right side still looks a bit off. Crichton/Staines are good defensively but have no chemistry in attack. Lenui is looking the goods as well.

Yeo is still a God.
Good debut for Luke. Looks like he has a lot of potential.

chrisD

Coach
Which supports my argument. He is usually given only given the ball just inside the touch line. His debut against the Sharks (4 tries) shows he is capable. Crichton needs to use him instead of trying to do it all himself. If he does, defenders will be in two minds instead of knowing Crichton is unlikely to pass.
Finishing in limited space is the job description. Staines had another chance to score a try with a bit of difficulty yesterday, and failed again. Crichton can't set up a winger but the few times he has Staines doesn't finish them.

BxTom

Bench
Finishing in limited space is the job description. Staines had another chance to score a try with a bit of difficulty yesterday, and failed again. Crichton can't set up a winger but the few times he has Staines doesn't finish them.
Taylan May has missed a few too by going over the line, is he no good as well?

The_Frog

First Grade
would be the loss of Api without a roughly comparable replacement.
There is no roughly comparable replacement available. Ivan seems to be giving himself options for next year by giving Luke a run, and his form demands it. Seems to have a bag of tricks at dummy half. He may well be the closest thing. Kenny seems more like a tackling machine at this point.

Fangs

Coach
The way he's going he could be sitting with them by then.

I don't see it happening yet. Lost his 7 and 9 long term due to injury. That is curtains for most teams in the NRL. If Madge can stink it up this long and keep his job then Ricky is fine for now.

If they are still terrible later in the year when Fogarty returns then it will be a real discussion. Very likely Wighton plays bench for the Blues as well so they are in for a rough ride.

Iamback

Coach

May doesn't get it in better locations though. Often he is beating someone before going over. Very few wingers go in untouched

Smug Panther

First Grade
I don't see it happening yet. Lost his 7 and 9 long term due to injury. That is curtains for most teams in the NRL. If Madge can stink it up this long and keep his job then Ricky is fine for now.

If they are still terrible later in the year when Fogarty returns then it will be a real discussion. Very likely Wighton plays bench for the Blues as well so they are in for a rough ride.
No logical reason Wighton gets picked over Hynes but we all know Freddy is one strange fella

DinkyDi

Juniors
The Raiders fans are offended by our supporters clapping the Viking clap? Me, personally speaking, I am offended by Corey chew gum, like a cow chewing cud, during the service.

View attachment 60697

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
No logical reason Wighton gets picked over Hynes but we all know Freddy is one strange fella

Incumbent. Not that it should mean a lot but I think it does to Fittler. He was not playing well at all last year and got selected. I think he has easily been the Raiders best this year so he is in.

Big boy could play in the forwards in a pinch as well. Something Hynes definately can't do with his frame and shoddy defence.