What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 Panthers vs Raiders

Smug Panther

First Grade
Incumbent. Not that it should mean a lot but I think it does to Fittler. He was not playing well at all last year and got selected. I think he has easily been the Raiders best this year so he is in.

Big boy could play in the forwards in a pinch as well. Something Hynes definately can't do with his frame and shoddy defence.
I can't remember a single game for NSW where he's been effective

The_Frog

First Grade
Incumbent. Not that it should mean a lot but I think it does to Fittler. He was not playing well at all last year and got selected. I think he has easily been the Raiders best this year so he is in.

Big boy could play in the forwards in a pinch as well. Something Hynes definately can't do with his frame and shoddy defence.
It's turned around to Papenhuyzen in recent weeks with his sharp running. But what a risk having him defending in the middle. I know he's a Johnny Come Lately, but Talakai looks to have potential as a 14.

Smug Panther

First Grade
It's turned around to Papenhuyzen in recent weeks with his sharp running. But what a risk having him defending in the middle. I know he's a Johnny Come Lately, but Talakai looks to have potential as a 14.
Papi can only play 1 and Hynes is even better at that position

Fangs

Coach
Not sure Papenhauzen is the answer on the bench. He deserves a spot in the team but that backline is already stacked with fullback options. And he ain't playing centre.

Talaki would be there before Papenhauzen I think.

Coparugby

Juniors
The Raiders fans are offended by our supporters clapping the Viking clap? Me, personally speaking, I am offended by Corey chew gum, like a cow chewing cud, during the service.

View attachment 60697
Massive Raiders fan here.

I wasn’t offended by the Panthers Viking clap at all. It’s a lot of fun and I’m happy other clubs can experience a bit of Canberra style atmosphere.

I think it really shows NRL clubs should be more innovative and develop their own crowd traditions via actions (Viking clap etc) or a song the whole crowd sings through the match or at the start.

It’s so much fun in Canberra I’ve even seen the away fans enjoy it and join in having a great time doing the Viking clap.

Panther’s fans will remember how much fun it was for a very long time so they should do the logical next step and create their own crowd traditions.

betcats

Referee
Massive Raiders fan here.

I wasn’t offended by the Panthers Viking clap at all. It’s a lot of fun and I’m happy other clubs can experience a bit of Canberra style atmosphere.

I think it really shows NRL clubs should be more innovative and develop their own crowd traditions via actions (Viking clap etc) or a song the whole crowd sings through the match or at the start. It’s so much fun in Canberra I’ve even seen the away fans enjoy it and join in having a great time doing the Viking clap.

Panther’s fans will remember how much fun it was for a very long time so they should do the logistical next step and create their own crowd traditions.

We are thinking of making the mexican wave our own tradition similar to you guys making the iceland viking clap your own tradition.

Coparugby

Juniors
We are thinking of making the mexican wave our own tradition similar to you guys making the iceland viking clap your own tradition.
Go for it.

By the way, it was used by other soccer clubs years before Iceland picked it up.

I’m totally sincere in my suggestion above. When you win, or when you’re just excited, it’s fun to have a tradition that your fans do. Panthers fans had a blast doing the Viking clap but wouldn’t it be more fun to have your own rather than simply copy the one from the team you are playing?

Panthers fans there last night will remember it for years. Isn’t that a big hint that these things are fun and more clubs should have them?

Raiders fans broke the mold for standard NRL crowd actions with the Viking clap. I’m glad you guys had a blast doing it, so take that feeling, realise you can have a blast every home game, and create your own thing.

Iamback

Coach
I'm one of those people who thinks that the dummy half position is possibly the most important in the game and definitely a top 3 position. It really depends on the coach. I think that Ivan is one of those coaches whose structures depend on it the most, along with Bellamy. Just look at us in 2019 with Katoa who just couldn't kick on under Ivan (and the Bulldogs). I even believe that Robinson depended more on a chronically underratted J.Friend then many realised and hence why the Roosters went all out to get Smith.

Other top coaches prefer ball playing fullbacks or dynamic 5/8th's (Bennett, Hasler) but that doesn't appear to be Ivan's thing.

This year to my line of reasoning Api has been our 2nd best player behind Yeo, but perhaps just as if not more important.

His loss will be immense. Some will blame that lack of punch on our left edge with Kikau leaving, but the biggest reason behind us falling back from these current heights (which is obviously not sustainable) would be the loss of Api without a roughly comparable replacement.

I agree.

I actually don't rate halfbacks as high as most because you need a 9 to create space for the backs

Iamback

Coach

He did the 14 role for Storm before. QLD will use someone similar in the role

Api was incredible yesterday. His quick runs from dummy half and football instincts get us on the front foot in so many sets. It’s going to be incredibly hard to replace that next year. I’m guessing we’ll run with Kenny as a tackle bot and bring on Luke for his speed against tired defences but we currently get both of these qualities from one player in Api.

kinghippo

Juniors
Amazing game, Canberra not getting a play the ball in our half until the last minute is crazy.
The control to not give penalties away in their 20 was impressive.
The penalty count blew out because the Raiders were exhausted, Shepard, kicking out on the full, a few high tackles all added to it. There is no doubt the 50 50’s didn’t go their way though, which would have been very frustrating.
Every Canberra fan would have thought no try when Crichton rolled over, ever panthers fan thought try.
Luke certainly plays eyes up attacking footy, pretty much the exact opposite of Kenny.
Spencer is really building, he is getting a few more minutes and improving every week.
This is such a golden era to be a panthers fan, I’m loving every minute 😄

Interesting to see Luke and Korisiou are similar build. Luke had 13 tackles complete at 💯, maybe I am just looking for a ready made replacement for Api, but if he can build his endurance and stamina quickly it could work. However he is 27 so he has short NRL career if he keeps going.

Iamback

Coach
Interesting to see Luke and Korisiou are similar build. Luke had 13 tackles complete at 💯, maybe I am just looking for a ready made replacement for Api, but if he can build his endurance and stamina quickly it could work. However he is 27 so he has short NRL career if he keeps going.

Api was able to develop with no pressure.
We are in a premiership window that has pressures.

Api was able to develop with no pressure.
We are in a premiership window that has pressures.
Yea that too, can't snap fingers and expect 55-60min from him. 27 and he was gassed after 20. How long would it take a player like this to reach 55-60min games?

Latest posts